The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Should I invest my time in game development ?

Losspost

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Oct 6, 2020
Hi
I am currently doing my bachelor thesis and have some spare time in my daily routine.
Lately I was talking with a friend that there is no really first person shooter which has high realism (Area 3) and is still fast paced and fun to play (Battelfield)
I know that these titles came from AAA studios nevertheless are there are quite some good Indigames out there.

Nevertheless, this is something totally different I want to do professional later on.
I want to create my own startup in the nanotechnology sector.

My Question is:
Should I invest the time or should I look for something close to my goals?
Greetings Losspost

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

woken

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Mar 24, 2021
London, UK
Would it make sense for apple to develop the perfect iphone this year? No.
They’re gradually improving it, year by year, generating more revenue.
Technology being expensive is another factor.

If you have the money, why not?
You want a stranger over the Internet to decide whether you should invest your time into a project or not?

A stranger from London says : hell yes, go for it.
I don’t know if my neighbour agrees though

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 1, 2016
Split your free time into 2.
Spend one on game and one on approaching nanotechnology.
See if any of two gets you somewhere.
Then decide if you want to continue or ditch it
in favor of the other.

Solater

New Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Jan 28, 2021
The market for games is incredibly saturated at the moment. Just look at how the number of steam releases has increased over the past few years.

If you want to have any chance, you will have to think about what concretely will make your game more interesting and fun than the others, more specific than calling it a combination of two existing titles. Also, you will have to market it very well.

As a rule of thumb, the number of days it takes you to create a working prototype equals the number of months it will take you to complete the game. If you are not an experienced game developer, I advise you to start with something easier, as these AAA shooters typically have millions in funding and huge teams. That should tell you a bit about how difficult it really is.

splok

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Jul 20, 2012
Hi
I am currently doing my bachelor thesis and have some spare time in my daily routine.
Lately I was talking with a friend that there is no really first person shooter which has high realism (Area 3) and is still fast paced and fun to play (Battelfield)
I know that these titles came from AAA studios nevertheless are there are quite some good Indigames out there.

Nevertheless, this is something totally different I want to do professional later on.

My Question is:
Greetings Losspost
Good god no! It's not even the thing you want to do!

Aside from the obvious (and almost certainly correct) response, why don't you explain to us why it's the best use of your time? At least then there might be something to give feedback on. If you can't even make an argument, then it's a pretty clear no.

Losspost

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Oct 6, 2020
Good god no! It's not even the thing you want to do!

Aside from the obvious (and almost certainly correct) response, why don't you explain to us why it's the best use of your time? At least then there might be something to give feedback on. If you can't even make an argument, then it's a pretty clear no.
Thats my problem. I am not sure if its the best use or not. The alternative would be that I would watch videos or playing on my PC.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

Thats my problem. I am not sure if its the best use or not. The alternative would be that I would watch videos or playing on my PC.
If you are not going to do anything else productive, then sure try some game development. You will learn a lot about programming. Just make sure you have goals and you stick to them.

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 1, 2016
Have a first person shooter that introduces guns using nanotechnology to fight enemies.

maverick

Aspice, officio fungeris sine spe honoris ampliori
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
228%
Oct 26, 2012
Never do anything just for the money. That also includes selling your body.

roguehillbilly

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Feb 3, 2017
USA
Doesn't sound like you really have a clear direction on what you want to do.
I'd go study the path that some indie devs took that made it and see if the work they put in is really worth it.

It might be an interested endeavor but I think if you want to make some $ you are going to have a really hard time going about it. You mentioned "having some spare time" in your routine. Designing and developing a game is going to take a little longer than that.

KenDunlop

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Apr 3, 2021
Hi

My Question is:
Greetings Losspost
I'm a Game Developer myself (I made Super Space Slayer 2 for the Google Play store). I'm now working on Super Space Galaxy, an open-world game with randomly-generated planets. It's all essentially been a solo effort so far.
My approach has been to set a goal I think I can meet and work towards that. Super Space Galaxy has been a huge project and demanded a lot from me (it's been 2 years already), but I'm also surprised at what I've accomplished just setting a goal and sticking to it. I honestly think that if I'd had a dream of what I was going to make while I was making the previous game, I wouldn't have believed I could actually do it alone.

With this in mind, my advice is to ask yourself what your goal really is. Do you love the idea of making this shooter? Can you imagine yourself up at four in the morning, making notes on some tiny aspect of the game? I've more or less had to do that with my games many times. A lot of the time people like the idea of the finished product, but don't find any romance in what it takes to get there.
Take it for what it's worth; I'm not some hotshot successful game developer, just a guy with a goal.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.