The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Should i go to university

zyzz

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Aug 12, 2022
Hey,
I am a student in germany in 12th grade and im asking myself whether i should go to university after highschool. In germany its really cheap (150$) and im struggling to make this decision when i think of the fastlane concept.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

tenacity

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Dec 16, 2021
UK
I see you posted another thread talking about dropping out of school. I would say DON'T drop out and GO to university. To not repeat myself, I suggest you read these posts of the same question which have great info and where I wrote my opinion as well in the replies.

The Definitive Answer To Whether You Should Study At University,
I Need Advice On Going To Uni/College,
How To Study Debt Free, Expand Your Mind And Gain International Experience. - Best Post out of 3 in my opinion

In my opinion, because it's cheap / not much debt for you, I would say go for it and do business on the side. If you make enough money / you don't like it AT ALL, then you can quit. I'm going to university soon and also have a job and I'm working on my fastlane business. You'll never know if you don't try it at all.

Mathuin

Provide Relative-Value or Die Trying
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
360%
Dec 20, 2020
Belfast, Northern Ireland
It all depends on what you intend to study and what you intend to do after.

If it's a philosophy degree, don't go.

G

GuestUser4aMPs1

Start with learning how to make a lot of money without the business first.

- Software Sales if you're more extroverted than introverted.
- Software Engineering if you're more introverted than extroverted.

Both are difficult, high-paying skills in a lucrative and rapidly growing market as of writing.

As in, Both start around ~100k even if you're an 18 year old kid. Most adults never see that money.

You're paying for outdated info taught by professors who never *did* the thing they're teaching at Uni.

You can teach yourself these skills in 3-6 months of intense study and make 2-3x more than the professors (pay for a code bootcamp if you really can't keep yourself accountable).

Then when you've capped out your earnings from the traditional route, you can figure out how to leverage business to make even more. At that point you'll have a lot of money to deploy into your business because of your high-paying career.

Last edited by a moderator:

Joejordan95

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Sep 12, 2021
U.K
Can't ask the forum to decide for you.

If you want to go to university then go. If you don't want to go to university then don't.

Do you have any business ideas that you're going to work on immediately?
Do you want to get out in the world that make money straight away?

No Ideas you want to pour all your time into? Maybe go, you can always drop out later if something good comes along.

fastlane_dad

8 Figure Fastlane Graduate
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
638%
Jun 20, 2017
Scottsdale, AZ
Unless you have a strong track record of entrepreneurship, already making a decent living, or came up with an idea/plan that just ABSOLUTELY needs to be executed on asap -- take a breather and think about the next 2-4 years for yourself.

For MOST people , including on this forum -- getting an EDUCATION (in an appropriate field), with solid pay will be the FIRST step to acquiring independence and flexibility to go further fastlane or working on a business in the future.

@NeoDialectic and I, prior to working together and in the infancy of our business together had solid, common traveled education paths to make sure that we'd be earning a SOLID living off that post schooling and beyond.

Your education should be treated as one of the FIRST serious business decisions of your life, where it's a calculated RISK and INVESTMENT to make sure you are on somewhat solid footing after several years of school.

I would (almost) never recommend anyone just 'winging' fastlane , especially straight out of high school, and forgoing all higher education altogether.

See my thoughts on the subject here further, but all in all especially if it's relatively INEXPENSIVE for you, it's close to no brainer to head in that direction, and then branch out through the years.

Last edited:

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
631%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
It doesn't matter if it's $150.

It costs your time.

It's an indoctrination camp.

It's another psychological box to check on the list of becoming a boring, salaried, docile wage slave.

Do you want to be like the people who are going there?

Dean Irwin

The GoalSumo Guy
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
208%
Jan 1, 2021
Sandy Springs, GA
I am a senior in college studying software engineering at a large state school in the US (Kennesaw State University) and there's a couple things I would can point out about my situation that might be able to hlep you with your decision. Everyone's path is different, so no one here can make that decision for you. I will say that the monetary value of a degree is numerical, and if you look at average salaries for your field of study, you can quantify it pretty quickly.

In the US, a college degree has much more risk than what you have described here. My time in college over 4 years has cost me almost 70k dollars between living expenses and school expenses - which I will have to eventually pay back to Uncle Sam. That being said, the loans helped put me in a position where I could build my entrepreneurship journey with less stress & without a day job. I had job offers before going to college, but I ended up going because I got the best loan terms I was ever going to get in my life (the fine print favored my situation heavily) to launch my early 20's. It was worth it for me.

Please consider first and foremost, what you plan to get out of your time at university, as this is what really makes your decision worth something. I am assuming you want to find some form of financial freedom from studying a skill at university. The best things you can learn at university for financial freedom will be a form of software sales or development, and you will probably want to work in the US if you are in those fields purely for the money.

But the main advantages to university in my opinion are not the financial benefits, but the personal development benefits. You should go to every job fair and join every club that interests you, so you can meet the people that will help you in your career and social life.

While in university, make sure you are doing things that can separate you from the others that are going to get the exact same degree. You need to make sure that in a sea of applicants, you are providing a unique value skill either to an employer or to your own business. If you are the same as everyone else, you will be stuck in the "averages" and your time in college will not be worth it.

I have learned software sales skills by being a part of my university sales team, while also learning software development skills as part of my degree. This combination is unique at my university, and has given me a unique value proposition to the market. I would advise that you find a unique combination of things that will help you in a global job market.

Last edited:

NeoDialectic

Successfully Exited the Rat Race
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
687%
Feb 11, 2022
Phoenix, az
It doesn't matter if it's $150.

It costs your time.

It's an indoctrination camp.

It's another psychological box to check on the list of becoming a boring, salaried, docile wage slave.

Do you want to be like the people who are going there?
You're right, i doesn't matter if it's $150. My answer would be the same if it was $10,000+.

I know plenty of people that went that are not boring, salaried, docile wage slaves. I know plenty that aren't indoctrinated. University should not just be looked at as a place to get a piece of paper. I learned ALOT of things in my 101 and 201 level classes that is useful for not just business but life in general. I'm not saying you need it. You don't. But unless you've got grandose plans, irrationally high confidence, and a lot of motivation to invest countless hours into building something right now.... I fully agree with @fastlane_dad 's post on the matter.

K1 Lambo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Oct 11, 2021
Oslo
You're literally going to be listening to a professor who's never made any serious money telling you how to become rich by reading an outdated textbook over and over again for the next 4-5 years.

Would you take advice from a 300lb woman on how to be fit? I don't think so.

And as others have pointed out, there are things in your age group (18-25) that will give you a much better ROI on your time a.e building skills that are HIGH in demand like sales, marketing, software development, graphic/video design or anything that's digital really. That's where the money's at nowadays. You could be making $100k and up a year from now if you take one skill very seriously for 12 months.

If you're into the fastlane, then becoming street smart and building your skills will play a bigger impact in your career than being book smart from a university.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
Hey,
I am a student in germany in 12th grade and im asking myself whether i should go to university after highschool. In germany its really cheap (150$) and im struggling to make this decision when i think of the fastlane concept.
Do the business as a side hustle.

AceVentures

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
405%
Apr 16, 2019
If you just want to make money ASAP, then yea there are likely faster roads to it than getting a formal education.

But if you aspire for anything beyond making money ASAP, then getting a solid foundation in a field will take you far.

My engineering degree has served me tremendously in my ability to solve complex problems, and more importantly, it has given me a perspective with which I see the world. I can understand ideas that go over most people's head, because they haven't spent years thinking about the world the way I have. As such, my awareness broadens the scope of what I can engage with in the world.

My background in mathematics, from simple algebra, to statistics and probabilities, calculus and partial differential equations, allows me to tackle concepts most people couldn't think of. With my degree I found a very specialized and unique job solving wicked problems. I then spent years thinking about and solving problems arising from the complex dynamics of volatile fluids in tremendously high temperature and pressure regimes, trapped in heterogeneous rock formations 30,000ft below the surface of the earth 150km offshore in water depths of 8000ft.

I've left that job and I'm on my own now, but having solved those problems helps me approach and solve other unrelated but just as complex problems. I'm building a system right now that uses state of the art time-of-flight technology, processing tremendous amount of data using the fastest GPU computation algorithms, incorporating machine learning, and rendering wicked visualizations, just as a hobby and for a visionary idea I'm working on for the long-term.

Sure you can learn all of this shit on your own - but will you? If your goal is to make money, you can start a company that sells dog collars and make money. But what if you aspire for anything more than money? Do you have the awareness to even pursue radical ideas?

You don't know what you don't know - school is one way of exposing you to a scope of what you don't know, especially engineering school.

Just my two cents.

Last edited:

Matt Lee

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
419%
Aug 9, 2022
Consider asking yourself why do you want to go there in the first place. No one knows you better than yourself after all.

Is it to make your parents happy?
Is it to not stand out too much if you didn't go?
Is it to pursue a degree that actually need specific knowledge?
Is it to have a back up plan?
Is it because you're scared of not making it?

Chances are you don't even know why you want to go to college in the first place. It's mostly conditioned onto you by school, the media, and your parents.

The first step of control is thinking for yourself.

So weigh out the options yourself and then play a coin game.

If the coin lands on head you're going to college. If it lands on tails you don't.

Of course, before the coin touches the surface, regardless whichever side it lands, in your head you know what you wanted. You were praying it land on a specific side.

That's what you should do and not look back because you trust yourself more than anyone. You trust whatever you choose, you'll be alright.

Worst case scenario if you don't go to college is that you struggle a few years figuring things out(mostly learning about yourself and sales skills) while people are out partying, hooking up, and working at their cushioned jobs.

By your thirties or late 20s, you would've had 10+ years of experience in business and self-discipline if you haven't build something grand already.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...