The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Should I disinvest from my investment portfolio

Anything related to investing, including crypto

Simplify

Thrive
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
May 17, 2019
Ireland
Ok, so I have read the millionaire fastline and unscripted and I am bought into the lifestyle and the concepts. However, I have an investment portfolio totalling $10,000. Should I disinvest in the portfolio? I understand this is a subjective question and I don't currently have a business but now I just don't trust the investment to make me money. Any thoughts on this would be awesome because this money could be deployed in a better way (i.e a business system) but as I said I don't yet have a business and I am just starting the process.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
keep reading. check out the gold threads. post an introduction.
in a few weeks, revisit your question here and reword it.
welcome!!

Tossek

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
May 5, 2019
Germany
Hi Ryan,

I do not know where you are from and how secure your position is but always keep a certain safe buffer as a buffer for your living. You never know when a car brakes down or you are hurt or so on. Consider this 10 k to be this net.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas

Legend

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
247%
Oct 11, 2018
Nashville, TN
How is your portfolio performing? If you take it out, will you be immediately implementing this in a business that has higher returns than your portfolio or will it be sitting in a bank account with 0% earning? Also, don't forget you're going to pay taxes on that 10k when you take it out.

edit: this is assuming you don't need the 10k for other life expenditures, investments like this should be FU money

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
629%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
Investing in someone else's business?

Or your own....

Who do you believe in more?

1.Work to make money
2.Minimize expenses to funnel the rest of the money into your own business
3.Feed profits back into business
4.Divert a piece of your profits into other passive investments
5.Slowly raise living expenses with profits from passive investments

This results in an exponential growth in net worth that can happen in 3-10 years, not 40.

Not

1.Work
2.Save
3.Put money in investments like the stock market and likely lose money
4.Retire when 65

This results in hating your job, being in the slowlane, and dying having done nothing important with your life.

Simplify

Thrive
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
May 17, 2019
Ireland
Thanks for the replies, much appreciated. I disinvested from my portfolio as it was more a wealth building tool and didnt provide me any income during the process via interest or dividend payments. All my money is now liquid in the bank and I will focus on establishing my business and other passive investments as recommended in the book Unscripted .

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Tossek

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
May 5, 2019
Germany
Sorry to repeat myself: Keep a margin as safe fail! Even if you do it like now.

astr0

Grinding
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Dec 3, 2017
Lviv, Ukraine
You're getting really good bits of advice here, but most of them come from people living in the US.
$10K may be quite a lot of money in other countries. Where it stands for you compared to your income and living expenses?

Business surely can get your much much better ROI than other investment options, but it's also quite risky to start, definitely more risky than a bank deposit in most countries/banks. Definitely, like @Tossek mentioned two times already have a safety buffer.

A service business is usually less risky in terms of financial investments than a product one and has shorter feedback loops.

Also, as @Kak mentioned, investments alone are Fastlane, but you should be extremely good with them. Everything that the crowd invests to doesn't work and that's logical - everyone can't win. I know one not bad investor and getting extra money for investment opportunity is not a big deal for him. People would happily invest their money into his ventures in the hope of better ROI than other ways of investments available to them and he has some ok history to show them.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.