• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 50,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

Should I disinvest from my investment portfolio

Discussion in 'Investing/Trading/Cryptocurrency/Altcoins' started by Ryan Dempsey, May 17, 2019 at 9:21 AM.

1. Ryan Dempsey

Ryan Dempsey New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $16
    Ok, so I have read the millionaire fastline and unscripted and I am bought into the lifestyle and the concepts. However, I have an investment portfolio totalling $10,000. Should I disinvest in the portfolio? I understand this is a subjective question and I don't currently have a business but now I just don't trust the investment to make me money. Any thoughts on this would be awesome because this money could be deployed in a better way (i.e a business system) but as I said I don't yet have a business and I am just starting the process.

2. ZCP

ZCP Legendary Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $30,981
    keep reading. check out the gold threads. post an introduction.
    in a few weeks, revisit your question here and reword it.
    welcome!!

astr0, msufan, Jeff Noel and 2 others like this.
  3. Tossek

Tossek New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $62
    Hi Ryan,

I do not know where you are from and how secure your position is but always keep a certain safe buffer as a buffer for your living. You never know when a car brakes down or you are hurt or so on. Consider this 10 k to be this net.

astr0 and Andy Black like this.
  4. Kak

Kak Capitalist Swine Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $30,120
    You have your answer.

I am all for investing, but know what you are investing in and why or don't bother.

astr0 and Andy Black like this.
  5. JScott

JScott Legendary Contributor FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $46,427
    If you only have $10,000, I would highly recommend keeping it liquid (e.g., in a bank account). When you have a few months of savings in a highly liquid emergency account, then you can start thinking about investing.

astr0, Andy Black and Kak like this.
  6. Legend

Legend Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $253
    How is your portfolio performing? If you take it out, will you be immediately implementing this in a business that has higher returns than your portfolio or will it be sitting in a bank account with 0% earning? Also, don't forget you're going to pay taxes on that 10k when you take it out.

edit: this is assuming you don't need the 10k for other life expenditures, investments like this should be FU money

Ryan Dempsey likes this.
  7. Johnny boy

Johnny boy Silver Contributor FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $7,252
    Investing in someone else's business?

Or your own....

Who do you believe in more?

1.Work to make money
    2.Minimize expenses to funnel the rest of the money into your own business
    3.Feed profits back into business
    4.Divert a piece of your profits into other passive investments
    5.Slowly raise living expenses with profits from passive investments

This results in an exponential growth in net worth that can happen in 3-10 years, not 40.

Not

1.Work
    2.Save
    3.Put money in investments like the stock market and likely lose money
    4.Retire when 65

This results in hating your job, being in the slowlane, and dying having done nothing important with your life.

astr0, srodrigo, Ryan Dempsey and 2 others like this.
  8. Ryan Dempsey

Ryan Dempsey New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $16
    Thanks for the replies, much appreciated. I disinvested from my portfolio as it was more a wealth building tool and didnt provide me any income during the process via interest or dividend payments. All my money is now liquid in the bank and I will focus on establishing my business and other passive investments as recommended in the book Unscripted.

astr0 and Tossek like this.
  9. Tossek

Tossek New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $62
    Sorry to repeat myself: Keep a margin as safe fail! Even if you do it like now.

10. astr0

astr0 Grinding Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,592
    You're getting really good bits of advice here, but most of them come from people living in the US.
    $10K may be quite a lot of money in other countries. Where it stands for you compared to your income and living expenses?

Business surely can get your much much better ROI than other investment options, but it's also quite risky to start, definitely more risky than a bank deposit in most countries/banks. Definitely, like @Tossek mentioned two times already have a safety buffer.

A service business is usually less risky in terms of financial investments than a product one and has shorter feedback loops.

Also, as @Kak mentioned, investments alone are Fastlane, but you should be extremely good with them. Everything that the crowd invests to doesn't work and that's logical - everyone can't win. I know one not bad investor and getting extra money for investment opportunity is not a big deal for him. People would happily invest their money into his ventures in the hope of better ROI than other ways of investments available to them and he has some ok history to show them.

Last edited: May 19, 2019 at 6:21 PM

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.