The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Should I be setting goals at this time? And a question about goal setting

Anything related to matters of the mind

LiveEntrepreneur

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Aug 17, 2017
Australia
Hey everyone so I am currently reading a book called Million dollar habits. And its a lot of the same stuff you will find in these sort of books like set goals daily, write them down all the time, etc. My first question is, is it the right time to do it now? I am asking because I know what I need to accomplish and that's finish this project I am working on. I am trying to understand for my particular scenario, why its important. Other daily tasks I do are reading, and doing some marketing stuff for my project.

And the second question I have is this the correct way to set a broad goal. My overall goal is to become a millionaire eventually. I wanted to ask is this the correct way of thinking when setting a goal like becoming rich? First I decide how much money I want ----> then decide when I want it by ---> then decide how I will get there ----> I decided the path I will take to get there is building a business that will provide value to millions of people, then go from there and start working on the idea. Is this the correct line of thinking?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Philip Marlowe

Every Day On, No Days Off
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Apr 28, 2017
NE
I think this is the second or third book-related question you've asked lately. Not that there's anything wrong with reading, but at a certain point you need to close the browser, put down the book, and execute.

No more books about million dollar habits, or multi-tasking, or goal setting. I'm sure you're extremely well-read at this point.

And if you're already taking action, than please ignore this. I'm just worried you're in "analysis paralysis" mode and keep looking for answers from others instead of doing and learning through experience.

To your specific question, I make annual goals that I break down into quarterly "gates" (i.e., did I get there or not, and why) and then make a list the night before of what I need to accomplish the next day. It's always in 'ONE Thing' format where I have one thing I absolutely must do to move me towards my goals (i.e., mowing the lawn isn't strategic).

Set a goal (you must have aspirations - don't over analyze this), break it down at the monthly or quarterly level, and do something every day that gets you closer.

-PM

P.S. - Dave Ramsey's 'debt snowball' can be applied well to other non-monetary goals. Pick small wins you know you can get done. If you've had a rough week, make tomorrows goal strategic but manageable. Just start racking-up those accomplishments!

Argue

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
385%
Oct 1, 2016
NYC
My first question is, is it the right time to do it now? I am asking because I know what I need to accomplish and that's finish this project I am working on.

Absolutely! What are you waiting for?

giphy.gif

LiveEntrepreneur

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Aug 17, 2017
Australia
I think this is the second or third book-related question you've asked lately. Not that there's anything wrong with reading, but at a certain point you need to close the browser, put down the book, and execute.

No more books about million dollar habits, or multi-tasking, or goal setting. I'm sure you're extremely well-read at this point.

And if you're already taking action, than please ignore this. I'm just worried you're in "analysis paralysis" mode and keep looking for answers from others instead of doing and learning through experience.

To your specific question, I make annual goals that I break down into quarterly "gates" (i.e., did I get there or not, and why) and then make a list the night before of what I need to accomplish the next day. It's always in 'ONE Thing' format where I have one thing I absolutely must do to move me towards my goals (i.e., mowing the lawn isn't strategic).

Set a goal (you must have aspirations - don't over analyze this), break it down at the monthly or quarterly level, and do something every day that gets you closer.

-PM

P.S. - Dave Ramsey's 'debt snowball' can be applied well to other non-monetary goals. Pick small wins you know you can get done. If you've had a rough week, make tomorrows goal strategic but manageable. Just start racking-up those accomplishments!
Thanks for the feedback. About taking action, I believe I am by working on my project that I am working on, is this considered taking action? I read books just to stay productive when I haven't got much else to do and to further expand my knowledge. Where you said set a goal, ok so my main goal is become a millionaire, and the project I am working on is not going to make me one nor is it my intention, at this point I am simply providing value. Others have suggested that I do this. I just want to make sure I am going about it the right way. But I feel as if doing this will indirectly help reach my goal because I am gaining valuable experience such as hiring people for projects, marketing, programming, etc.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
I would think you would make short term goals every day, weekly, monthly, yearly.
I think you just have to stop reading the books. I've read a lot of stuff, but not from that angle. It's natural to set goals for me. If you vision you see the bigger picture in your head. You just know to do something every day, but you can waste to much time on research.

RichOC

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Oct 5, 2015
England
For me setting goals is just something that just happens rather than something I actively work on. I'm quite laid back with it and pretty much just focus on whatever current task(s) I have to do (very very low level stuff). I get them done by working on them as much as I can and then move on to the next little job. I do always have bigger goals in the back of my mind of course, but they change so frequently it's almost not worth it. I think focusing too much on the bigger picture and its endless possibilities causes me to get in my own way a little

I think it just depends on what works for you, Just try what you can until it works.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

BrooklynHustle

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Apr 3, 2014
DMV
Hey everyone so I am currently reading a book called Million dollar habits. And its a lot of the same stuff you will find in these sort of books like set goals daily, write them down all the time, etc. My first question is, is it the right time to do it now? I am asking because I know what I need to accomplish and that's finish this project I am working on. I am trying to understand for my particular scenario, why its important. Other daily tasks I do are reading, and doing some marketing stuff for my project.

And the second question I have is this the correct way to set a broad goal. My overall goal is to become a millionaire eventually. I wanted to ask is this the correct way of thinking when setting a goal like becoming rich? First I decide how much money I want ----> then decide when I want it by ---> then decide how I will get there ----> I decided the path I will take to get there is building a business that will provide value to millions of people, then go from there and start working on the idea. Is this the correct line of thinking?
You may find this framework useful (from "The One Thing"), but ultimately keep it simple & execute

Goal Setting to Now.jpg

Experiment with different approaches and you'll find what works for you

Dunkafelics

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
229%
Jun 12, 2015
Vancouver, Canada
I've used a combination of goal setting strategies.

I think one of the best is to set broad goals, but you need to have reasons WHY you are setting them.

To steal from Tony Robbins, you also need to have at least an understanding of the pain that will be generated from not achieving those goals.

For example, your goal of wanting to make $1 million dollars... that is great, but WHY do you want to make a million dollars?

EVERYONE in this world wants to make a million dollars, probably 1% actually have the drive, commitment and strategies to actually do it.

I set a goal to make $150,000 and the reason WHY is that I want to be able to put myself in a position where I can support my family and leave my current full-time position. By at least hitting that goal, I would be able to have the freedom to take care of my child and still bring in a level of income that would support our family.

I am sure there are a lot of other great tidbits of advice that others on this forum can give you, take action and KEEP taking action until you reach your goals.

LiveEntrepreneur

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Aug 17, 2017
Australia
I've used a combination of goal setting strategies.

I think one of the best is to set broad goals, but you need to have reasons WHY you are setting them.

To steal from Tony Robbins, you also need to have at least an understanding of the pain that will be generated from not achieving those goals.

For example, your goal of wanting to make $1 million dollars... that is great, but WHY do you want to make a million dollars?

EVERYONE in this world wants to make a million dollars, probably 1% actually have the drive, commitment and strategies to actually do it.

I set a goal to make $150,000 and the reason WHY is that I want to be able to put myself in a position where I can support my family and leave my current full-time position. By at least hitting that goal, I would be able to have the freedom to take care of my child and still bring in a level of income that would support our family.

I am sure there are a lot of other great tidbits of advice that others on this forum can give you, take action and KEEP taking action until you reach your goals.
Ok thanks for the advice. From what I have gathered and understood, I set my main goal which is become a millionaire, I guess to be more specific I want at least 10 million dollars. Find the reason, my reason is so I can enjoy the rest of my life doing the things I want to do. I was actually recently thinking back about what made me want to achieve this goal, and from what I remember when I was a younger I saw all these millionaires before 30 especially the youtubers, and thought "this is bullshit I want to be like them". I think its still part of the reason but feel sometimes its the wrong one. Anyways once I have the reason I have a strategy which is to build a business that can help me reach that goal.

LiveEntrepreneur

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Aug 17, 2017
Australia
You may find this framework useful (from "The One Thing"), but ultimately keep it simple & execute

View attachment 17391

Experiment with different approaches and you'll find what works for you
I re-read that image you posted, and it gave me some ideas, I think I should be setting goals like for example my project how many customers I want to get this year. Thanks again.

If I was to use the one thing format I believe it would look like this:

Someday goal- Become a millionaire
Five year goal- Build a successful business
One year goal-Work on my one project and try get 1000 customers (this number I made up, first I would need to know how to get one customer, but I think 1000 customers is doable in a one year timeframe)
Monthly goal- Get at least 80 customers a month via marketing
Weekly goal- I have no idea, I guess just doing more marketing/selling
Daily goal- Marketing I guess aswell, I mean once my product is out there, I guess that's the main focus.
Right now- Same as weekly/daily. I think I might need to make some adjustments if you could provide an example of what I could do for weekly/daily/right now, would be awesome. Thanks.

@BrooklynHustle

Last edited:

BrooklynHustle

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Apr 3, 2014
DMV
I re-read that image you posted, and it gave me some ideas, I think I should be setting goals like for example my project how many customers I want to get this year. Thanks again.

If I was to use the one thing format I believe it would look like this:

Someday goal- Become a millionaire
Five year goal- Build a successful business
One year goal-Work on my one project and try get 1000 customers (this number I made up, first I would need to know how to get one customer, but I think 1000 customers is doable in a one year timeframe)
Monthly goal- Get at least 80 customers a month via marketing
Weekly goal- I have no idea, I guess just doing more marketing/selling
Daily goal- Marketing I guess aswell, I mean once my product is out there, I guess that's the main focus.
Right now- Same as weekly/daily. I think I might need to make some adjustments if you could provide an example of what I could do for weekly/daily/right now, would be awesome. Thanks.

@BrooklynHustle
This is more or less the right idea. They actually have tons of free resources on their website to walk you through their processes:

https://www.the1thing.com/resources/

There is also a "The One Thing" Podcast which may also be useful, but admittedly I have not listened to that before:

https://www.the1thing.com/podcasts/

LiveEntrepreneur

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Aug 17, 2017
Australia

BrooklynHustle

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Apr 3, 2014
DMV
Ah ok thank you, anything you recommend that I might need to edit to improve it?
It's a good start

Going to want to add some specificity so that there is less ambiguity on how you execute going forward

Other than becoming a millionaire to improve your life, what's the specific way that you want to be helping others and creating value that will enable you to do that.

Once you have a better idea about that, you can work backwards

Maybe something like, "become a millionaire by helping X thousand people do *specific thing that brings value to them*", and so on...

My best advice is to go through the exercises and follow their instructions

Pretty sure there is a dedicated exercise on "Goal Setting to Now" which will fill in the gaps for you much better than I can

IMG_1487.JPG

Last edited:

LiveEntrepreneur

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Aug 17, 2017
Australia
It's a good start

Going to want to add some specificity so that there is less ambiguity on how you execute going forward

Other than becoming a millionaire to improve your life, what's the specific way that you want to be helping others and creating value that will enable you to do that.

Once you have a better idea about that, you can work backwards

Maybe something like, "become a millionaire by helping X thousand people do *specific thing that brings value to them*", and so on...

My best advice is to go through the exercises and follow their instructions

Pretty sure there is a dedicated exercise on "Goal Setting to Now" which will fill in the gaps for you much better than I can

View attachment 17448
Thanks a bunch man. Thought so when you said ""become a millionaire by helping X thousand people do *specific thing that brings value to them*" that was my original line of thinking. Providing value is my no.1 priority.

Also where is this? "Goal Setting to Now", I can't find it on the one thing website. Only the pdf.

ruzara5

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
May 1, 2011
Currently in Washington State
I wanted to ask is this the correct way of thinking when setting a goal like becoming rich?
Keep thinking. Do not be scared to add that value to the market. A productacracy begins. Life is rich. Provide for the market a solution. You can be adding value back into your own life. Like the classic stone falling into the the middle of a big puddle. All the ripples come back to the edge where you are starting.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.