The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Service based business marketing

Marketing, social media, advertising

Starsky

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
4%
Aug 29, 2007
Hello All,
Maybe I'm not looking in the right places, however I havn't found much discussion on marketing strategies for service based businesses. I started up a new b2b service back in the summer & did a soft launch in two metro areas, gained my first few clients & added to the client base on their referrals. However Im looking to grow that client base of course. I have a crafted press release, active blog, twitter and facebook account. Website first on google with local search keywords and 2nd page generic search.

So for others who's biz models are service based than product based, maybe we can exchange ideas in this thread.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

JEdwards

Legendary Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jan 16, 2011
Texas
Well it depends on what service you are providing and at what price points.

I.E. What can you afford to do?

Can you afford to do mailers, can you afford to hire salespeople?

Do you even want to?

Starsky

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
4%
Aug 29, 2007
Thanks for replying Jack,

Lets explore the sales person/people you mentioned. I have been bouncing this around in my mind, Id like retain a sales affiliate and offer a 1 time %25 commission on each retained client. My price points are high enough to where I can pay a commission. Mailers, not sure i want to do this as the conversion rate is small, Emailer's might be better.

Sep 30, 2011
You are on the right track. Everyone these days have products but to offer services is where the money is at. Hope you do well mate!

Michael W.

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
66%
Mar 2, 2009
Ok City, OK
You are on the right track. Everyone these days have products but to offer services is where the money is at. Hope you do well mate!

Thats good to know. I only understand the services business model.

Starsky

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
4%
Aug 29, 2007
Perhaps more can post on this thread about their marketing experiences for service based businesses. As I'm sure not everyone on this site has only product based online businesses right?

healthstatus

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Apr 11, 2011
Indianapolis, IN USA
Look for existing organizations that have complimentary services. i.e. If you are a plumber, find the HVAC and electricians with good reputations and see if you can rent their mailing list or get on their list of vendors they recommend. See if they will leave your brochure when they make service calls.

Starsky

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
4%
Aug 29, 2007
Look for existing organizations that have complimentary services. i.e. If you are a plumber, find the HVAC and electricians with good reputations and see if you can rent their mailing list or get on their list of vendors they recommend. See if they will leave your brochure when they make service calls.

Thanks, that's a good idea. My target market is the Hospitality Industry...

I'm still trying to figure out how to properly use social media as a viable tool.

saceo007

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Jul 13, 2011
Starsky, I have avoided marketing directly altogether and looked for referral partners that serve similar markets. For example, my accountant will be sending an email postcard (designed my us) to her small business clients that offers them a Fr*ee holiday gift in appreciation for their business. I have a dedicated webpage on my website branded specifically for her clients where they can register for the service and begin the relationship with my company.

Sweet deal for her because she offers them a great service with no money out of her pocket, no extra time on her part, and no sharing of her client list as she just forwards the email that I send her. Great deal for us because we have her implied endorsement and still get access to her clients. Even if only one or two convert to long-term clients, it's a boon for us.

Better to reach 400 prospects through one well-placed referral partner than to spin your wheels trying to contact all 400 separately without the benefit of the recommendation.

Maddog

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Oct 9, 2011
Haddonfield, New Jersey
Starsky, I have avoided marketing directly altogether and looked for referral partners that serve similar markets. For example, my accountant will be sending an email postcard (designed my us) to her small business clients that offers them a Fr*ee holiday gift in appreciation for their business. I have a dedicated webpage on my website branded specifically for her clients where they can register for the service and begin the relationship with my company.

I think that's a great idea! Are you offering her any commission or other incentive? I'm going to try the same thing. Do you think I'd have luck approaching business owners in my local community that I just relocated to? Or do you think they'll slam the door on me for the annoyance of soliciting?

Starsky

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
4%
Aug 29, 2007
I decided to bring on Independent sales reps. Offering a 1 time %30 commission on new business. Anyone else have any experience using independent sales reps & how you structured the commission?

Thanks

royemunson

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Jul 24, 2007
SW Ohio
Yes with local you have to get out there and meet people. People won't actively search for you online as I found out the hard way.

Couple things we are trying is to first set up a site and generate leads (I have seen this work for others in the past). Our goal is to do the local online research, set up the site, lead capture, etc... and then work with businesses to get them the leads in a number of ways and the goal is to turn that into a long term relationship with other backend services or to sell them the site built.

But yes getting someone who can sell out there has been a proven way to break into the local markets offering your services. I found cold calling to be a bear and working through referrals was key as well as having some proof so to speak whether that be that I already built a site that is ranked #1 or other.

Hope this helps. Let us know how it's going.

Joe

Starsky

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
4%
Aug 29, 2007
I decided to go the route of hiring a firm on a as needed basis, they will handle cold calls, initial contact, email database etc. Ill pay them a flat fee retainer instead of giving them a cut of commission. Ill report back on how it goes

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.