The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Seo 2012

Marketing, social media, advertising

number1

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Jan 19, 2012
In case you have haven’t heard the SEO game has changed massively. Ever since Google rolled out their Penguin update around the end of April 2012, the whole SEO game has changed. The days of building spammy links or renting high pr links with exact match anchor text are over. While you are free to debate whether a competitor can hurt you with backlinks, it is very apparent that having a spammy backlink profile can result in getting your site penalized, as many internet marketers would attest to.

Although the game has changed, its important to know that SEO done THE RIGHT WAY can still be an excellent source of traffic and income for your business. I wanted to write this post to highlight my opinions on how SEO needs to be done in a post penguin world.

Core Ideas To Be Mindful Of

• SEO has changed massively since Penguin update
  • SEO is a lot harder, more expensive and takes a lot longer.
  • Low quality and cheap SEO is temporary and most likely will results in your site getting penalized at some point
  • The days of spamming a website to the top of Google and keeping it there are pretty much finished
  • SEO is a lot more unreliable and should never be the primary source of income for your business
  • You can still make money with SEO but you need to do it the right way.

Link building Methods To Avoid

It used to be so easy, buy a domain, build some content on it and then spam the shit out of it with low quality links. Watch it rise to the top of Google, sit back and count your money. Google basically let this happen for the best part of 15 years and but unfortunately this year the game changed. Low quality links tactics can now get your site penalized and only work in the short term. Here is a list of low quality tactics to avoid.

• No More Automated methods or software (Linkjuicer, Linxboss, AMR)
  • No more blog networks (Free traffic system, BMR, ALN, FBL etc)
  • No more spun content vie SENUKE etc, mass article submissions
  • No more homepage backlinks on mass networks
  • No more profile links
  • No more blog comment spam
  • No more forum spam
  • No sidebar paid links
  • No sitewide paid links
  • No more mass links (automated or paid)
  • No more low quality directories

Link building To Follow

The only way to do link building now (to make sure your survives) is slow, manual and hard.
You must research and find high quality and relevant sites and post content on them. Make sure you have a link within the content back you site.

I still think its fine to pay to post the content on the websites (so in essence yes you are still buying links) but you have to do it to make it look natural!

So basically train some people up to identify , contact and negotiate the placement on links on quality, trusted and relevant domains. Keep building up your network of sites.

Every single link we get for our portfolio of sites now goes through a quality audit. If it doesn’t meet our criteria we wont try and place the link. Yes this is a very slow way of doing things but I promise it works and it will stand the test of time and Google algo changes. Every notice how some sites have managed to survive the algo changes? That’s because they’ve played by the these rules.

Sorry people, if you want your site to rank for the long term, in my opinion this is the only way to do it. I’m not a fan of the whitehat brigade Cutts, Fishkin etc but really in light of how hammered peoples income has been this is the only way to do it. Cheap link tactics will put your site at risk and will not stand the test of time.

Furthermore you must try to encourage more natural links by producing and promoting quality content. You must assign a content budget to your website so that it is continually replenished with helpful, relevant and link worthy content.

REMEBER TO MIX YOUR ANCHOR TEXT UP!!!

You must also remember that in 2012 you cannot simply spam the hell out of the anchor text you wish to rank for. It is now a big flag to Google, you must serious mix up your anchor text and remember to include a large amount of branded anchor text!!! Most sites with a natural link profile have their brand as their most prominent anchor text you really must try and mimic this.

Summary

Pre April 2012 gaming Google was too easy and there was good money to be made. You could link spam your way to the top with a small investment in low quality links. Since the rollout of the Penguin algo this has now changed!
Quality, manual and relevant link building is THE only way to d

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

atmosphere13

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Jul 23, 2012
San Diego, CA
As I am reading this I am working with a SEO firm in India via Elance on a link building project, yet I am not aware if they are high quality links or not. $325 for 1000 "high quality links" they stated. However, on Elance the firm has over 200 reviews 4.5 stars from other businesses across the globe.. I'll have to touch base with you in the near future on this topic.

ColtonJD91

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Aug 23, 2012
Las Vegas, NV
Sorry people, if you want your site to rank for the long term, in my opinion this is the only way to do it.
Thank you for the insights! I'm just now diving deep into SEO and think your "Slow but Steady" technique is the way I'm going to go for link building. I'll let you guys know if I fall flat on my face or not.

robk

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
1,471%
Aug 29, 2012
Petersfield, UK
I suppose this is a debate that could go on and on, but I sort of agree with most your points.

From what I have heard it is far easier to get mobile sites ranking, but you must follow white hat methods. Google are falling over themselves to provide relevant search content to mobile users.

Having said that I don't see the point of taking such a long term gamble as trying to do SEO work which may end up worth nothing. Why not just buy traffic? You can start with as little as $10 and then split test your landers to find what converts best or just arbitrage other ads on your site. You very quickly learn your earnings per visitor on the front end so can easily work out how much you can pay to acquire them. Get your marketing right and make the gravey fro the back-end. After all if your content isn't good enough to make sales then what is the point of doing SEO anyway? So why not concentrate time and effort on getting small amounts of traffic to convert?

number1

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Jan 19, 2012
As I am reading this I am working with a SEO firm in India via Elance on a link building project, yet I am not aware if they are high quality links or not. $325 for 1000 "high quality links" they stated. However, on Elance the firm has over 200 reviews 4.5 stars from other businesses across the globe.. I'll have to touch base with you in the near future on this topic.

Hi mate,

I don't mean to be rude, but I don't think you have quite grasped what I have written. Please do not buy these type of links!!!! Do you honestly thing you can get 1000 HIGH QUALITY links for $325. I promise you the links will be very poor...In the past I would have said fine but now post penguin you need to avoid these and work on creating quality content that attracts natural links and only securing high quality links....Do not give into the temptation to spam your site with low quality links because you wont last long...IMHO

number1

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Jan 19, 2012
I suppose this is a debate that could go on and on, but I sort of agree with most your points.

From what I have heard it is far easier to get mobile sites ranking, but you must follow white hat methods. Google are falling over themselves to provide relevant search content to mobile users.

Having said that I don't see the point of taking such a long term gamble as trying to do SEO work which may end up worth nothing. Why not just buy traffic? You can start with as little as $10 and then split test your landers to find what converts best or just arbitrage other ads on your site. You very quickly learn your earnings per visitor on the front end so can easily work out how much you can pay to acquire them. Get your marketing right and make the gravey fro the back-end. After all if your content isn't good enough to make sales then what is the point of doing SEO anyway? So why not concentrate time and effort on getting small amounts of traffic to convert?

Yeah agree with you 100% Do not become 100% reliant on SEO...because if you do you have setting yourself up for a big failure...By doing that you are violating the commandment of control...Paid traffic can be an excellent source

GamerGripz

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Jan 17, 2012
great post, so you are saying forum signature links are no longer significant? I am very active on many forums with my website in the sig, is that a bad thing now?

also, is there any kind of difference between blog commenting spam or commenting relevant info related to the blog?

JaySoriano

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
32%
Aug 10, 2012

Use a tool tile opensiteexplorer to see what kind of links they're building..

number1

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Jan 19, 2012
great post, so you are saying forum signature links are no longer significant? I am very active on many forums with my website in the sig, is that a bad thing now?

also, is there any kind of difference between blog commenting spam or commenting relevant info related to the blog?

I mean obviously I cannot say 100% for sure, but if your signatures are genuine and add value linking to a real domain etc then I can't see the problem.

Yes there is a massive difference between blog comment spam and genuine blog commenting..Adding natural, insightful and genuine comments on another's person blog is all part of the web ecosystem and completely normal..If you comment and then link to an interesting article or even blog post that you may have written that is relevant, then yeah I would say that is fine...Just spamming blogs would fit into my "link building methods to avoid"...Do it if you want by all means but I would not advise it post penguin update

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
@number1 - I'm curious to know your experience in the field of SEO. Please don't be offended when I say this... I really haven't read anything from you that would qualify you as someone we should listen to. Just looking for some more street cred than what you've provided. What is your experience? Is it just in working on SEO of your own sites or do you provide SEO services? If you provide SEO services what sites have you seen penalized by google? Where they sites using whitehat, greyhat or blackhat strategies - or all of the above. You see, I've seen some sites that ranked by complete whitehat strategies get hit by penguin as well. Some people on this forum in fact. Truth is google don't like any type of SEO. Whitehat or blackhat. There is also a strong consensus that google will eventually make the first page of results all paid results so it's so important to not rely solely on google for your traffic.

splok

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Jul 20, 2012

Being a useful, constructive member of communities is a thing Google wants to encourage, not discourage. Being an active, constructive forum poster or blog commenter is a good thing. Spamming hundreds of thousands of pages with identical links to your site isn't. I think that it's exceedingly unlikely that even the most prolific community members would run afoul of Google's penalties by doing nothing more than participating as a normal human would. The more you skew your actions towards things specifically intended to manipulate the serps, the more you place yourself at risk.

Don't forget that being a valued and useful member of a community has benefits outside of opportunities for serp increases. For example, you can drive super-targeted and interested traffic through your links (and maybe even build valuable contacts, trust, and relationships while you're at it :p )

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
May 21, 2011
SEO has not changed... Low quality crap never dominated the top spots of Google. Maybe you could dominate with crap for about a day. Write great content, share great content and you will be rewarded. Never goes out of style.

number1

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Jan 19, 2012
@number1 - I'm curious to know your experience in the field of SEO. Please don't be offended when I say this... I really haven't read anything from you that would qualify you as someone we should listen to. Just looking for some more street cred than what you've provided. What is your experience? Is it just in working on SEO of your own sites or do you provide SEO services? If you provide SEO services what sites have you seen penalized by google? Where they sites using whitehat, greyhat or blackhat strategies - or all of the above. You see, I've seen some sites that ranked by complete whitehat strategies get hit by penguin as well. Some people on this forum in fact. Truth is google don't like any type of SEO. Whitehat or blackhat. There is also a strong consensus that google will eventually make the first page of results all paid results so it's so important to not rely solely on google for your traffic.

Its a fair question. If you want to know I've doing SEO professionally for about 6 years now. 2 years running an SEO services company and the other 4 years for our own businesses portfolio of websites. I've ranked for some extremely competitive keywords particularly in the finance niche and had domains that were doing in excess of 200k per month revenue purely from SEO. I've also had a lot of domains penalized by Google (all part of the learning process) . I'm still very interested in SEO but am taking a less active role in the day to day implementation as we have built an in house team and oversee our marketing on a more general level. However at core I will always have an affinity to SEO as its where I started. No claims to know everything or be the best SEO in the world..Just had a lot of experience and continue to learn on a daily basis and would hope my learnings add some value to people in this forum or those starting out on the entrepreneurial path..Also I have absolutely no interest in selling anything SEO related!!!

number1

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Jan 19, 2012
SEO has not changed... Low quality crap never dominated the top spots of Google. Maybe you could dominate with crap for about a day. Write great content, share great content and you will be rewarded. Never goes out of style.

I kinda of agree and disagree at the same time...SEO has changed a lot in the sense that crap links coupled with a good quality site were enough to rank a website. This is definitely no longer the case...However you are 100% correct, genuine, quality content will always be rewarded and will never go out of style..In fact its more important than ever now

splok

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Jul 20, 2012

I wish this were true, but it's not at all this black and white. There was and remains a lot of terrible content at the top of the serps for many kws. Also, there's a lot of fantastic content that will never be unearthed via the serps. At the absolute best, great content is necessary but not sufficient. If you're in a reasonably competitive niche and you have content that no one ever sees (and thus no one ever links to), Google's not really going to fix that for you.

mtjr825

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
26%
Feb 28, 2012
Detroit, MI
Couldn't agree with you more. Add value to the game and you will be rewarded

S

stranger

In case you have haven’t heard the SEO game has changed massively. Ever since Google rolled out their Penguin update around the end of April 2012, the whole SEO game has changed. The days of building spammy links or renting high pr links with exact match anchor text are over. While you are free to debate whether a competitor can hurt you with backlinks, it is very apparent that having a spammy backlink profile can result in getting your site penalized, as many internet marketers would attest to.

Although the game has changed, its important to know that SEO done THE RIGHT WAY can still be an excellent source of traffic and income for your business. I wanted to write this post to highlight my opinions on how SEO needs to be done in a post penguin world.

Core Ideas To Be Mindful Of

• SEO has changed massively since Penguin update
  • SEO is a lot harder, more expensive and takes a lot longer.
  • Low quality and cheap SEO is temporary and most likely will results in your site getting penalized at some point
  • The days of spamming a website to the top of Google and keeping it there are pretty much finished
  • SEO is a lot more unreliable and should never be the primary source of income for your business
  • You can still make money with SEO but you need to do it the right way.

Link building Methods To Avoid

It used to be so easy, buy a domain, build some content on it and then spam the shit out of it with low quality links. Watch it rise to the top of Google, sit back and count your money. Google basically let this happen for the best part of 15 years and but unfortunately this year the game changed. Low quality links tactics can now get your site penalized and only work in the short term. Here is a list of low quality tactics to avoid.

• No More Automated methods or software (Linkjuicer, Linxboss, AMR)
  • No more blog networks (Free traffic system, BMR, ALN, FBL etc)
  • No more spun content vie SENUKE etc, mass article submissions
  • No more homepage backlinks on mass networks
  • No more profile links
  • No more blog comment spam
  • No more forum spam
  • No sidebar paid links
  • No sitewide paid links
  • No more mass links (automated or paid)
  • No more low quality directories

Link building To Follow

The only way to do link building now (to make sure your survives) is slow, manual and hard.
You must research and find high quality and relevant sites and post content on them. Make sure you have a link within the content back you site.

I still think its fine to pay to post the content on the websites (so in essence yes you are still buying links) but you have to do it to make it look natural!

So basically train some people up to identify , contact and negotiate the placement on links on quality, trusted and relevant domains. Keep building up your network of sites.

Every single link we get for our portfolio of sites now goes through a quality audit. If it doesn’t meet our criteria we wont try and place the link. Yes this is a very slow way of doing things but I promise it works and it will stand the test of time and Google algo changes. Every notice how some sites have managed to survive the algo changes? That’s because they’ve played by the these rules.

Sorry people, if you want your site to rank for the long term, in my opinion this is the only way to do it. I’m not a fan of the whitehat brigade Cutts, Fishkin etc but really in light of how hammered peoples income has been this is the only way to do it. Cheap link tactics will put your site at risk and will not stand the test of time.

Furthermore you must try to encourage more natural links by producing and promoting quality content. You must assign a content budget to your website so that it is continually replenished with helpful, relevant and link worthy content.

REMEBER TO MIX YOUR ANCHOR TEXT UP!!!

You must also remember that in 2012 you cannot simply spam the hell out of the anchor text you wish to rank for. It is now a big flag to Google, you must serious mix up your anchor text and remember to include a large amount of branded anchor text!!! Most sites with a natural link profile have their brand as their most prominent anchor text you really must try and mimic this.

Summary

Pre April 2012 gaming Google was too easy and there was good money to be made. You could link spam your way to the top with a small investment in low quality links. Since the rollout of the Penguin algo this has now changed!
Quality, manual and relevant link building is THE only way to d

Very useful post. However, what's your proof on this? I mean google started saying about these changes over 2 years ago. But i've still watched a lot of crappy spammer's sites in a google's frontpage, just because those sites have tones of spam backlinks. On the other hand, google has shown its F finger to many quality websites. I say about this as an internet user and not as a co-owner of an online store.

Nick

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Oct 25, 2011
Unfortunately, i check the link profile of plenty of websites ranking for competitive keywords, and i see their links are comming from blog comments spam, forum comments spam, article directories, crappy links in general.. if these techniques are not encouraged to be employed any more - and i believe you on that - shouldn't the websites that built them lose their rankings as well? Why are they still ranking with old methods while new websites would run into trouble if they start using them ? Care to weight in on that?

S

stranger

Unfortunately, i check the link profile of plenty of websites ranking for competitive keywords, and i see their links are comming from blog comments spam, forum comments spam, article directories, crappy links in general.. if these techniques are not encouraged to be employed any more - and i believe you on that - shouldn't the websites that built them lose their rankings as well? Why are they still ranking with old methods while new websites would run into trouble if they start using them ? Care to weight in on that?

Bad, but it still works.

Ali

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
May 10, 2012
Oman
Very useful post. However, what's your proof on this? I mean google started saying about these changes over 2 years ago. But i've still watched a lot of crappy spammer's sites in a google's frontpage, just because those sites have tones of spam backlinks. On the other hand, google has shown its F finger to many quality websites. I say about this as an internet user and not as a co-owner of an online store.

You are actually right, I don't see much of a difference and SEO is still relying on the quantity of backlinks as opposed to quality, and the spammers still have their seat reserved on top of google's front page

MikeRuss

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Jun 13, 2012
Oregon

Outsourcing like that is precisely the type of low-quality tactic that Google is targeting with their updates. Those links will most likely hurt you in the long run. For small businesses, the really good bet is to start developing content and social media activity that funnels high-value traffic from online niches to your site. If you don't have a blog, start, and fill it with honest, well thought-out writing, photos, videos and more that you're also promoting through sites like Pinterest, Twitter, Facebook and more. There's no quick fix in SEO anymore.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.