The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Selling's about the relationship

Nathan

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Sep 18, 2008
Denver, CO
I've launched a few sites recently. I've always been a behind the kind of scenes type of guy and never a fan of sales, or marketing, just because it made me uncomfortable I guess. But now I'm forced to get out there and do it. Which is cool, growth is formed when you're uncomfortable, I get that.

You've got the norm.... link building, SEO, forums, blogging, advertisements, link trading, blah blah blah, but how much actual sales come down to a relationship? I was reading a few articles the other day about using Twitter to promote your business. And they all came back pretty unanimous... don't be THAT guy. The one who's always shilling his shit. Be a person. Sell indirectly. Form personal relationships, that may not result in a sale at the moment, but a week, a month, a year down the road. As well as consistency. If you keep at it, do something everyday, build content daily, etc... that makes you presence known. The more avenues you use (FB, Twitter, etc), people feel as if they know you.

I've had to switch the way I think over the past few weeks, from the logical, technical mindset, to a marketing, sales, type mindset always thinking about how people work and what makes something valuable to someone.

So I ask... is sales about the crap you do (SEO, link building, etc)... or at the end of the day does it come down to the personal relationships you build? Is it best to get out off the computer and meet people, as opposed to JUST building links and whatnot. I know the ideal answer is to do a bit of both, which I'm definitely doing as of late. Just feels sometimes like there's something I'm missing that I should be doing.

Nathan

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

CMCarlin

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jan 30, 2008
Sales can be a sales page and how you touch on the EMOTIONS of the viewer too. I get social media marketing. Relationships. Right. I personally don't think buiding relationships through Twitter is an effective use of time. Perhaps it has long term results in building brand awareness, but it could also turn out to be a huge waste of time.

Sales can he built on relationships and rapport, hut that is more leveraged in a face to face, multi-step sales process. There are many situations where you don't get that luxury with your prospect and you only get one shot. This is where hitting the hot buttons and good sales pages come in.
As for SEO and backlink building, I would classify that more as marketing than sales. You market to drive the traffic but once they get there you gotta be able to sell it.
Just my two cents.

Nathan

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Sep 18, 2008
Denver, CO
I see what you're saying. It's really all new to me. I hear marketing, sales, advertising.... I know they're all different, but they kinda just say the same thing to me. lol Got a lottttttt of learning to do in this realm

Operation_OPM

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Jul 16, 2008
Hyper Hustle Zone, Quadrant I-4
So I ask... is sales about the crap you do (SEO, link building, etc)... or at the end of the day does it come down to the personal relationships you build? Is it best to get out off the computer and meet people, as opposed to JUST building links and whatnot. I know the ideal answer is to do a bit of both, which I'm definitely doing as of late. Just feels sometimes like there's something I'm missing that I should be doing.
Are these websites products/services you are passionate about or are they a means to generate $...if the latter...hire or partner with individuals who've been doing what your doing and utilize their network and resources...you will never generate the amount of passion need to extrude confidence and love for what you're offering, in the long run you and the business will suffer.

Sales generate cash NOW...all that other stuff you're talking about is okay but its broad general advice and it rarely if ever shows up on the income statement...it's movement and busy work..not ACTION. As you stated...months and years from now..MAYBE those efforts will show up...MAYBE is not fast-lane.

Have you ever heard of having a Unique Selling Position...Go back and read "What the rich know and desperately want to keep secret" or "Toilet Paper Entrepreneur" or "Tribes:We need you to lead us"...you have to do things different and focus your efforts on a small group of die-hard users in order to get CASH NOW..the diehards will test and buy for free or at at any price...from that group you will build and grow your sales and marketing systems...until you recognize those people, you're a blip in the crowd.

I used to spend 90% of my efforts on networking and elbow rubbing...and not see a dime from it. Once I focused on diehards and crackheads in my network my cashflow has been consistently positive..I even hired some of those crackheads...they offered to work for free...so I didn't test them.:fastlane:

*If you're passionate about your product/service, you should have research, innovations, articles and info related to the field and be in the process of building yourself and company as a leader and empirical source of data...these are the free quick fixes you need to keep your niche involved..and ready to buy at anytime.

Blue

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Apr 18, 2010
I hate sales. I use SEO to drive traffic to the site and let it convert. No relationship building needed. My method is to put out as much information as possible on your product. Let your customers decide that they want to buy from you because you are:

1) knowledgeable
2) trustworthy
3) competent

This can all be done with a good website.

Nathan

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Sep 18, 2008
Denver, CO
Thanks for the right direction guys. And thanks for the mention of toilet paper entrepreneur. I've never read the book, but used to hit the site all the time, I'm going to have to get back into that. I've heard of the Tribes book... the 30DC guys mention that one. Any advice or direction on how to recognize the diehards?

Operation_OPM

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Jul 16, 2008
Hyper Hustle Zone, Quadrant I-4
Thanks for the right direction guys. And thanks for the mention of toilet paper entrepreneur. I've never read the book, but used to hit the site all the time, I'm going to have to get back into that. I've heard of the Tribes book... the 30DC guys mention that one. Any advice or direction on how to recognize the diehards?
The first 100 are almost intuitive...you should just know who these customers are. They are you and the reason you started the business in the first place. Create the same hangout spots for them:
-you-tube page
-ambiguous facebook community page"-leave your name out of it let it float as a source of reliable information,
-forums, blogs, websites ect and operate those places from a place of authority

Also look to auxiliary/relevant businesses(not competition) that are connected to your business but pose no real threat and their customers(points of feedback and any relevant literature), look to the secondary uses for you product and services..this will lead to finding those who need it but don't know it yet...this creates a niche within a niche...now you've developed a network where other businesses and their customers are sending their customers to you..win/win/win/win..with no competition, the big boys are to busy trying to please everyone.

Get the first few loyalist to get the ball rolling, if you have a presence in the relevant industry hangouts (websites,forums,fan pages, associations, trades, clubs, groups newsletters) and you are seen as someone of authority you already have lurkers who follow you. Have them test and critique and then build your systems more effectively from there. For Example this site has the most relevant info to getting rich fast and through your own means...it is unique in that way....its first few loyalist were RDPD defects.....both sites have users interested in being rich...but a faction developed from deep rooted needs and wants...that's where the diehards linger...the only way to recognize these folk is to realize they are you and your needs and wants and broadcast that.

CMCarlin

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jan 30, 2008
Here is an interesting article on measuring the effects of social media marketing. If you can measure it, you can improve it. That works for me at least.

How Do You Measure "IT"?

kwerner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Oct 4, 2007
I used to spend 90% of my efforts on networking and elbow rubbing...and not see a dime from it. Once I focused on diehards and crackheads in my network my cashflow has been consistently positive..I even hired some of those crackheads...they offered to work for free...so I didn't test them.

*If you're passionate about your product/service, you should have research, innovations, articles and info related to the field and be in the process of building yourself and company as a leader and empirical source of data...these are the free quick fixes you need to keep your niche involved..and ready to buy at anytime.

The first 100 are almost intuitive...you should just know who these customers are. They are you and the reason you started the business in the first place. Create the same hangout spots for them:
-you-tube page
-ambiguous facebook community page"-leave your name out of it let it float as a source of reliable information,
-forums, blogs, websites ect and operate those places from a place of authority

Also look to auxiliary/relevant businesses(not competition) that are connected to your business but pose no real threat and their customers(points of feedback and any relevant literature), look to the secondary uses for you product and services..this will lead to finding those who need it but don't know it yet...this creates a niche within a niche...now you've developed a network where other businesses and their customers are sending their customers to you..win/win/win/win..with no competition, the big boys are to busy trying to please everyone.

Get the first few loyalist to get the ball rolling, if you have a presence in the relevant industry hangouts (websites,forums,fan pages, associations, trades, clubs, groups newsletters) and you are seen as someone of authority you already have lurkers who follow you. Have them test and critique and then build your systems more effectively from there. For Example this site has the most relevant info to getting rich fast and through your own means...it is unique in that way....its first few loyalist were RDPD defects.....both sites have users interested in being rich...but a faction developed from deep rooted needs and wants...that's where the diehards linger...the only way to recognize these folk is to realize they are you and your needs and wants and broadcast that.

This is some of the best damn information I've ever read on this forum regarding how to build a fan base for your business. 1,000,000 Rep points to you! Thanks!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.