The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Selling to millionaires

Marketing, social media, advertising

Mr4213

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
May 9, 2016
I target high income neighborhoods for sales. Especially the multi-million dollar houses (obviously)

Can you guys give any tips on or advice on this?

- A lot of them use a security system with a camera and talk through that. They do not even open the door. This throws me off.

- Virtually impossible to even tell if someone is home. Any tips to know if they are home? What hours would they typically be home? And what would be the best time to try and talk to them?

- How many F*cking homes do you guys usually have lol? I would not be surprised if some people had like 5 houses and were not even in the city.

And here are some random questions.

Why are so many wealthy people foreign? (Not that anything is wrong with that)

So far about 2/3 have been from out of the country.

I talked to one lady and I asked what her husband did "uh..he is a professor" after looking at the two giant a$$ lion statues next to the giant a$$ fountain in the front yard I had a hard time believing that.

Anyone know what she was referring to? Just did not want to tell me? Husband is a drug dealer?

I would have figured that wealthy people would respect the hustle. But from my experience not so much? Most of the time the wives answer the door. Do wealthy wives not usually understand the hustle? Do they have a different mentality? Do they have the same mentality? I am assuming the husband is a business owner and built it himself.

That is all I can think of at the moment.

Thanks.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
Try direct mail, or Facebook/Google ads targeting certain locations and incomes.

Also, professors can make a lot of money. The smartest professors make high six to seven figures consulting on the side.

Mr4213

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
May 9, 2016
Are you just fishing to see who answers?

The houses? Usually I only talk to people I know have a high chance of needing the service. But on occasion I will just blanket an area to see how effective it is

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
The houses? Usually I only talk to people I know have a high chance of needing the service. But on occasion I will just blanket an area to see how effective it is
Sorry, I meant, "are you fishing here?'

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
Usually they don't have time to answer your questions. I have to laugh because I was once a nurse aide. I think it's quite obvious why they have security. Would you just invite a random person off the street in your home if you have a house filled with valuables, and a nice atmosphere. I would be suspicious too if people just walked up to my house in a rich neighborhood.

Red

Nigerian Lottery Prince
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Feb 23, 2010
Phoenix
I'm not a millionaire but here is some feedback:

They do not even open the door.
Door to door sales are going the way of the dodo bird. I am immediately suspect when my doorbell rings if there isn't a large brown truck idling outside. I will not open the door if there's not & if they persist in knocking, I'm standing behind the door with a loaded Glock.

Virtually impossible to even tell if someone is home.
This is by design. Mission accomplished.

I would have figured that wealthy people would respect the hustle.
Because you are not seen as a hustler, you're seen as a nuisance.

I am assuming the husband is a business owner and built it himself.
Ah, modern sexism at work. Warms the heart.

It's hard to offer help here because I don't know what your product is. But here's the thing, everyone likes to target the "wealthy" & most fail to understand that they are people like anyone else. No one likes being interrupted at home, no one likes being cold-called & no one likes being sold. You are chasing cats instead of opening the tuna can. What is your tuna can & how can you open it around the cats?

Mr4213

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
May 9, 2016
I'm not a millionaire but here is some feedback:

Door to door sales are going the way of the dodo bird. I am immediately suspect when my doorbell rings if there isn't a large brown truck idling outside. I will not open the door if there's not & if they persist in knocking, I'm standing behind the door with a loaded Glock.

This is by design. Mission accomplished.

Because you are not seen as a hustler, you're seen as a nuisance.

Ah, modern sexism at work. Warms the heart.

It's hard to offer help here because I don't know what your product is. But here's the thing, everyone likes to target the "wealthy" & most fail to understand that they are people like anyone else. No one likes being interrupted at home, no one likes being cold-called & no one likes being sold. You are chasing cats instead of opening the tuna can. What is your tuna can & how can you open it around the cats?

Door to door sales have generated thousands for me.

I know, but on occasion there are things you can look for that still suggest someone is home.

True, but most of the time I only target people who I 99% know need the service. They either get it from me or a competitor.

That is why I said I am assuming this. As to not look sexiest.

I have a good website being created now. I am doing sales like this for the moment until the website is automating my sales. I need to keep blood flowing.

Mr4213

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
May 9, 2016
This ^^^^^^

Gated drive with rear exit to house. Video cameras around the house. Hard to tell if anyone home or not. Got it.

Can't call me, email me, or catch me home. I do not want to be sold to.

100% true and I realize that

But it is needed right now to keep my business going. I know everyone on the block hates my a$$ but I need to do it

Mr4213

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
May 9, 2016
Usually they don't have time to answer your questions. I have to laugh because I was once a nurse aide. I think it's quite obvious why they have security. Would you just invite a random person off the street in your home if you have a house filled with valuables, and a nice atmosphere. I would be suspicious too if people just walked up to my house in a rich neighborhood.

I completely understand that. My question wasn't regarding why the security system is in place. It was regarding how to build trust regardless of it.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
100% true and I realize that

But it is needed right now to keep my business going. I know everyone on the block hates my a$$ but I need to do it
You are lucky no one has called the cops or released the dogs on you. LOL

Mr4213

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
May 9, 2016
You are lucky no one has called the cops or released the dogs on you. LOL

Haha most of the time I know exactly what few houses I need to knock on. I am in and out.

Believe me, I know when I walk down the street everyone is going "oh its one of those guys"

I hate doing it lol. But soon I will not need to anymore

Mr4213

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
May 9, 2016
I believe he/she is a troll.

Yeah cuz a troll would organize a meet up with people he/she is trolling and then offer to show them how he/she does what he/she does

25125622.jpg

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
I am happy to answer a door. I buy from almost all kids that are selling for their sports team or school. It can be figured out usually by looking at the program.

The rest get sent away.

Mr4213

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
May 9, 2016
I am happy to answer a door. I buy from almost all kids that are selling for their sports team or school. It can be figured out usually by looking at the program.

The rest get sent away.

Thank you

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas

The rest get sent away.

Ahh, I forgot about the kids. I do buy from them but I see them at school everyday. A few of them actually get hired by me for small jobs. But I get to see if they are a worker or not before they ever work for me.

JokerCrazyBeatz

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jun 1, 2016
Door to door sales have generated thousands for me.

That dosent mean its the most effective RIGHT NOW in this day and age , im sure door to door sales had a WAY better ROI 30 years ago
I have a good website being created now. I am doing sales like this for the moment until the website is automating my sales. I need to keep blood flowing.
This is good , adapting and growing is key , people get so used to the way they "used to" make money instead of adapting to the time and finding the current methods for the best ROI , not saying door to door sales is not still a way to make sales it just isnt the BEST way to make sales in this day and age

LouieLouie

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
268%
May 30, 2014
Fort Collins Colorado
I've seen lots of businesses from the inside.

I have never seen one more profitable then roofing sales.

Those sales are all made door to door. (Nothing else works much)

Me and my wife house sat for her relative for 2 weeks while they took a vacation.

1 month later he sold this mansion for $2 mill.

Ever penny was made door to door roofing sales.

I did it for a bit and hated it. but I did made $70k in a couple of weeks of door knocking.

Just comes down to how hungry we are.

Mr4213

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
May 9, 2016
I've seen lots of businesses from the inside.

I have never seen one more profitable then roofing sales.

Those sales are all made door to door. (Nothing else works much)

Me and my wife house sat for her relative for 2 weeks while they took a vacation.

1 month later he sold this mansion for $2 mill.

Ever penny was made door to door roofing sales.

I did it for a bit and hated it. but I did made $70k in a couple of weeks of door knocking.

Just comes down to how hungry we are.

Exactly. Vivent has had a good bit of success with door to door sales alone.

If people are not willing to go door to door IMO it means they do not want it bad enough

Mr4213

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
May 9, 2016
That dosent mean its the most effective RIGHT NOW in this day and age , im sure door to door sales had a WAY better ROI 30 years ago

This is good , adapting and growing is key , people get so used to the way they "used to" make money instead of adapting to the time and finding the current methods for the best ROI , not saying door to door sales is not still a way to make sales it just isnt the BEST way to make sales in this day and age

I use other methods. But door to door has a pretty good ROI for me. Its free.

The margins are high for me. One sale means $1k in profit on the low end for me. 1 sale a week means $4k a month which is almost 4 times what I would make monthly at slow lane job.

I only do it out of neccesity at the moment. I am working to automate it. I use a few other methods though to.

JDx

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
May 11, 2016
Amsterdam
In my area we use special stickers on our doors to "warn" sales people that:
We will not buy products, & we already donate to various charities, but in our own way. Door sales attempts are not appreciated.

Perhaps try to distribute lampoons or a direct mail approach; give people something to remember you by (something physical like a business card of lampoon) and read your offer when they want to. Great way to practice your copy, too. Mr Whitman has some great tips on this in his Ca$hvertising book.

InformationH

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
249%
Jun 20, 2016
My advice is stop trying to find millionaires going door to door. Emails, business meetings, and if youre not pushing a product but building a relationship first then social hangouts is how you should contact them. My true advice tho is to stop door to door selling. You said you've been doing it awhile and making good money while you work on your business. Awesome! That means you've learned how to sell. But, maybe you should consider another skill you can develop while getting paid such as freelsnce work with SEO, copy writing or whatever other skill you feel that you need. Get paid to learn new skills as you make money and advance towards your bussiness

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
May 21, 2011
It's called picking up the phone.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.