The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Scared to start alone!!

road_runner

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Feb 23, 2012
Thank you Bearcorp.. Yes, I have listed some of my old cell phones on Local craiglist for the last two weeks. I am looking around the house now for some other crap to list it on eBay.. But haven't got any offers yet for my cell phones.. and maybe that's why I am getting discouraged to try out anything new. I am just thinking how I will compete with other sellers on eBay, Craiglist, etc... I am trying to break through that fear.. but its taking me longer than usual.. May be its my conditioning from the family. My grandfather was a great Business man but after he passed away, family business was sold and my father and other family member were stuck in 9 to 5 rat race. I am now trying to follow my Grandfathers footsteps!

So you have several items, which are similar. Make some experiments on the way the ad is written. See what has a positive effect and what doesn't . Don't just post the same 4 adds with different pictures and price
Relist some of the phones with new title or smth like this.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jan 24, 2013
Las Vegas
sometimes being an entrepreneurs means being alone more often than not.

My top suggestion, surround your self with like-minded people through audio, books and ESPECIALLY events. Go where other entrepreneurs go to for their events. It's a big boost!

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
Google "Inc 5000"
Search for companies with 0-5 employees
You'll find a guy selling TAPE and generating over 3 million in yearly revenue, another selling coffee packets, etc..etc

I'm sure they're not bothered that staples or starbucks pushes more product than them. They're small and killing it

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Look man, you're not ready. We get it: you're simply not ready to start. andviv and Vigilante gave you the best advice you're probably ever get before you start and you're still sitting on your a$$.

Come back when you're ready.

S

stranger

make ebay sales your hobby. I started sellling goods just because i needed to feed myself. i've not made much still, but i like thinking i'll make big bucks one day.

sandeep

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
66%
Dec 30, 2012
Look man, you're not ready. We get it: you're simply not ready to start. andviv and Vigilante gave you the best advice you're probably ever get before you start and you're still sitting on your a$$.

Come back when you're ready.

Actually, since then I have sold two phones on Craiglist and profited $45 dollars... :icon_super:
I am also looking around to sell my snowblower, and some other junks..

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Actually, since then I have sold two phones on Craiglist and profited $45 dollars... :icon_super:

Congrats!

See what happens when you stop making shitty excuses for yourself?

Keep on going. Maybe you're not as unmotivated as I thought.

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
The market doesn't care that you're scared or alone. The market only rewards the bold.

D2x2993

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jan 21, 2013
Kentucky
Owning a business is a dream for many but converting that dream into a successful business requires careful planning. A business owner needs a plan to avoid pitfalls and to achieve a profitable business. I believe the most critical problem you will face is finding your niche and determining the feasibility of your idea. I would recommend you find the nearest Small Business Development Center (SBDC) or Service of Retired Executives (SCORE) office to help you flush out your idea. Most of their services are free and I’m sure you will benefit from talking to someone about what you are trying to achieve.

Twiki

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Oct 7, 2012
Want to see something funny?

See: ""Owning a business is a dream for many but converting that dream into a successful business requires careful planning."

It's easy for one robot to recognize another fellow robot. Bidibidibidi. Time to call in Rick Deckard... we have a runaway robot on the loose.

edit: artificial life-form confirmed: https://twitter.com/@PartnersNdemand, we suspect a Nexus 7 model, non-pleasure unit, useless for combat, designed to dispense SPAM protein units in the form of marketing advice. Too bad he won't live, but then again who does?

nico

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
May 17, 2011

Congrats. Of course, selling your own junk on ebay stops as a business model as soon as you run out of junk. But the important part is getting out of excuse induced paralysis!

Twiki

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Oct 7, 2012
Not really...

Oh OK, it just seemed like from your first post:

"Owning a business is a dream for many but converting that dream into a successful business requires careful planning. A business owner needs a plan to avoid pitfalls and to achieve a profitable business. I believe the most critical problem you will face is finding your niche and determining the feasibility of your idea. I would recommend you find the nearest Small Business Development Center (SBDC) or Service of Retired Executives (SCORE) office to help you flush out your idea. Most of their services are free and I’m sure you will benefit from talking to someone about what you are trying to achieve."

...it sure seemed like a cut-and-paste job with the kind of advice and language you'd get from a government publication.

That's why I got a funny feeling reading it and did a quick Google search... and lo and behold...

Owning a business is the dream of many Americans ... starting that business converts your dream into reality. But there is a gap between your dream and reality that can only be filled with careful planning. As a business owner, you will need a plan to avoid pitfalls, to achieve your goals and to build a profitable business... The most critical problems you will face in your early planning will be to find your niche and determine the feasibility of your idea...

My mistake if it's just a coincidence.

mayana

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Apr 26, 2011
Georgia, USA
Hi All,

I am scared to start out an adventure.. I am thinking about starting a Ebay or Amazon store, also not knowing what I will be selling. Currently out of work. I had one partner/friend but backed out at the last minute.. so I am afraid to start it alone. I am scared of things like competition, not enough experience, lawsuits, etc..

Any advice would help me or to motivate me.. has anyone started alone without any experience or partner? (Are partners worthed) . I am sick and tired of doing 6 to 8 months projects as IT consultant. and, hoping to land on fastlane with determination.

It's time for some tough love here.

I would say that most businesses are probably started alone. And alone is the best way to do it, unless you've got some miracle partner who wants to give you a million bucks and doesn't want to have any say in the business and only wants 1% of the profits. (Yeah, right... lol)

Another reason to do it by yourself: If you can't get something started by yourself, why should anyone want to partner with you?

My advice would be to step out there, take risks, screw up ROYALLY, wash, rinse and repeat. You'll make it. It's the only way - and it's the same way that everyone on here manages to get anywhere.

Best of luck to you!

McNandez

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Jan 3, 2013
Actually, since then I have sold two phones on Craiglist and profited $45 dollars...

Congrats on getting something done!
As someone else has said, selling your junk runs out when you've sold the last of your junk, but something you can consider trying is going to yard or estate sales and looking for things to flip on craigslist or ebay. That's actually how I rediscovered my inner dormant entreprenuer - I bought a rickety table at an estate sale for $12, fixed it up and made it pretty, then sold it on craigslist for $50. You won't make a lot of money but you'll learn and build your confidence. You can consider it your tuition for Basic Beginning Entrepreneuring. :)

Last edited:

smarty

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Jan 2, 2013

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.