The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Saving time by NOT multitasking

Anything related to matters of the mind

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
I suck at multi-tasking. I can do it, but I always feel too discombobulated.

I have lots of friends who brag about how well they can multi-task, but y'know what?

I can tell when they're doing it when I'm on the phone w/them.

They're just not "engaged" in the conversation. More like they're monitoring it.

I'll even say things like "Hey, I heard that your gf slept with your granmother, that's pretty cool!", and they'll mumble something like, "Yeah, it was great".

They respond to emotion/inflection, but don't really listen to what is being said.

Here's a pc on "Singletasking":

A Case for Singletasking: The One-Task-At-a-Time Method

Says pretty much the same thing.

My favorite multi-tasking thing is driving and getting biz done on the cell phone. But I have to be VERY careful-- have you ever been at home, talking to someone who was driving? They have all the time in the world, so they can go on and on and on . . .

How about you? Do you love to multi-task? Do you feel you honestly can be as good at doing both things at the same time, or do you knowingly "give up" 50% of your concentration for each activity?

-Russ H.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

GoldenEggs

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Sep 4, 2007
Silicon Valley, CA
I multi-task household chores. When I am making meals, while the oven is heating or the pan is preheating, I prep the food. Then while my food bakes, simmers or cooks, I clean up and wash the prep dishes and utensils.

I just started walking to the grocery store with my son in his stroller. I end up going more frequently but I also buy just what I need for a few days. I have less wasted food. Plus I get exercise and I still interact with my son, I ask him what sounds animal makes, we say the alphabet or we sing songs.

I try to find ways to multi-task. But if I am doing bills or on a business call or reading a book, I can not do something else, not even listen to the radio. I do try grouping like tasks and do it from easiest to hardest.

FDJustin

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Apr 30, 2010
Canada
I tend to need to multi-task just a little. I need some other tasks that are somewhat passive to keep me feeling... Energetic, I guess? It's a fine balance to be sure, it's easy to just get distracted instead of actually being productive on multiple fronts, or in my case using other things to keep the mental tempo up... 'cuz usually my secondary focuses aren't important.

Conversation, especially verbal conversation is terrible for multi-tasking. It's already a multi-task scenario. You have to listen (or at least wait your turn to talk- How many of us do that? We think of something to say part way through the other sides conversation, and we practically ignore anything else said so we can hold the thought.) Form your responses, and speak it in a way that can be understood.
The worst scenario there for me is to be trying to both type and talk at the same time. It's simply impossible.

P.S. As a quick example of something I consider an unimportant periphery task and how it's done right: If I have the TV on, but not too loud, and I'm not looking at it, it tends to work. This goes wrong if whatever is on is too distracting, or I'm seated in a way that I can look at the TV.

Casual IMing also works for me. This stops being a useful gentle secondary task when I have to / want to shift more focus to the conversation for whatever reason.

The above two certainly aren't productive periphory tasks, and that's kind of the point... Several important things going on at once gets overwhelming and vie for too much attention. None the less, this one potentially is productive:
If I'm working away at something, I keep a secondary notepad open where I can switch over and quickly slip down ideas, cliffnotes, frustrations, whatever. Of course, it gets to be bad when I start chasing other ideas instead of whatever task I was on.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
my thoughts on multi-tasking: if it requires more than 50% of your concentration, do not do it in conjunction with something else. not even if the concentration required to do both things at once is less than 100%.

however, i will often balance two or three mindless tasks at once in order to get them all done as fast as possible. for example, i will eat while i walk, and i will talk on the phone while folding clothes (this varies with the conversation, however: if it is important, i won't multi-task it).

another thing i will do is break one thing and do something else. it's not good because it severely hinders my productivity, but it seems like it's an old habit i don't want to break. it's not that i can't focus, it's just the focus that i am putting isn't what i want to focus on at that time (for example, school work).

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Idella

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
May 26, 2012
Chinatown, Philly
I tend to multi-task while on the PC, it's not terrible because I will put more emphasis on the most important task at hand but sometimes I do reach a point of information overload. So much information is available to me at my finger tips it creates a chain effect of having more than 20-30 windows open on a dual screen set up. I usually only need about 10 of these items. Others I keep open to remind myself to go back to it. I'm improving at time management and my focus so it's not so bad.

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
suburbs of savannah in Ga
the more you do it the easier it becomes... I can multi task certian things but others are impossible...

I can not read or type while having a conversation. I try to but usually the reading or typing that I am doing wont allow me to hear what the other person is saying...

but I can do homeschooling and trade at the same time! I do have to switch back and forth between them but I found I can accomplish schooling with the kids while I am also trading...something that in the beginning was very very difficult...

I can also watch tv (usually cooking shows) and listen to news on my pc at the same time.

I can read and listen to the radio or tv at the same time. I dont absorb much from tv or radio but I can hear if and when theres something important coming up that I dont want to miss.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.