The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Saturated Web Market

Cavking

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Dec 30, 2011
South East, UK
In your opinion, do you think it will be long until everything you could ever want or need will be free on the net (with regards to apps and software)?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

livebig

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
May 23, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Lots more will be free, but (and this is a big BUT), if the value is there people will pay for it! That really is all that matters. If it's not worth anything because the competition is better or has equal abilities for free, no one would pay for a service.

It really depends on the service and how it's sold to the customer base.

Brander

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Jun 3, 2011
Australia, USA, Europe
First they have to find it. Some people are slow or susceptible to being sold. There are many websites selling things that other websites offer for free and they still make good money.

It also depends if the free information is effective or correct or sufficient. If it's something important, businesses will for sure rather pay then pray - and here is your answer :)

James Fake

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
May 4, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
I've actually seen a trend in startups going against the freemium model. People pay for value. Paying for something actually perceives more value in the product. Now if the product actually has more value really depends.

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
In your opinion, do you think it will be long until everything you could ever want or need will be free on the net (with regards to apps and software)?

Hard to say--however, I wouldn't let finding the answer to this question prevent you from moving forward with a web based business if that is the direction you are wanting to head.

InMotion

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Mar 18, 2011
If it's something important, businesses will for sure rather pay then pray - and here is your answer

I agree.

This may or may not help but I have seen this in many industries in a similar fashion. Web aside, most just make their core offerings free or near free because they don’t have anything else to offer than the next guy. The first thing any newbie does in business is to undercut the next guy until the profit is gone for them and others; they aren’t able to sit down and figure out where the real value is and develop it. They just think to get business they have to be cheaper and it’s the easiest thing off the top of their head. It’s just easier to do on the net. I can’t answer definitively since I am not in this industry, but it may be something to think about. I will say that I can’t name anyone off the top of my head who built an empire on free anything, theres always a catch somewhere. Free doesnt equate to value IMHO. Look how shitty the news is now, its written mainly by volunteers and its more shittier than ever.

Imon32red

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Nov 2, 2011
I used to sell public domain content. Its all free and I made more than enough to live off of. There are more than enough people willing to pay for things. Also, many people would rather have the latest and greatest. Just look at the iPhone.

healthstatus

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Apr 11, 2011
Indianapolis, IN USA

Never, you are paying for it somehow. Your email address may be the currency, your pageview, or your demographic information. If you think you get something for nothing, open your eyes and figure out how the provider is really getting paid.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.