The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

S.O.S. - Help... I am Stuck On Stupid!

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Sulleyboo7271

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
24%
Oct 29, 2012
Chandler, AZ
I am seeking replies, thoughts, rants and ideas from all but will really take notice of those who truly are Fastlaners.
We have ALL had ideas, projects and inspirations that seem Fastlane.
However, it is the true Fastlane individuals that have gone that extra step...
Those who have "...traveled the difficult road that others don't want to." - quote from an Allen Wong post! Love it!
I want to hear from you and those others that are true Fastlaners and live that 'free' lifestyle.

So, I sit here... sponging off of others ideas, rants and success stories, yet... I still sit here...
This is where I see my disconnect as I am sure others do as well.
Yes, I do have ideas and my own "Fastlane Plan", but why can't I execute it.
To those Fastlaners, what was your epiphany? What set you in motion to DO something?
I totally feel like I am stuck on stupid!
Why?
I do consider myself a fairly smart individual.
I work in the IT field, but I can take on any project! I can fix a car and conduct any household repair.
I have the mentality that if someone else can do it, so can I. True, it may take me 10X longer, but I can do it.
God created me the same why he created everyone else here. Regardless of skin color, political views, lifestyle, or anything else that sets us apart.
Hey... I never said I can do it better... But I CAN do it!
But why do I still sit here...?

I do not want to travel that well traveled road...
I can develop that app, create the product, brand an existing product to something 'New and Improved'.
But in all of the reading and research I have done, I seem to lack the middle of the process.
Which to me is the most important...
Where are the resources to write that book?
Where are the resources to create the app that I have in my head?
Where are the resources to develop that new social media website?

It is resources that I seem to lack...
So, where is the best way to find them?
And get my plans into actionable items.
I completely feel like I have missed the train and am always behind the next best thing.
Every time I see something new, I think 'Why did I not think of that?'.

I am looking for some specifics from current success stories.
Maybe you have published a book... So how? Did you just type it into a document and email it to a publisher?
Maybe you developed an app for the App Store... What did you use? How did you learn it best?
Maybe you created that website to make a process easier... How did you gather your clients? How did you create the process? What did you use to build the site?

My epiphany may be some very simple that puts me right over the edge.
I just need to find it and get my failures and successes going.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Amail

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Apr 12, 2012
North San Diego County
...snip...

So, I sit here... sponging off of others ideas, rants and success stories, yet... I still sit here...

...snip...

but why can't I execute it.

...snip...

...snip...

See a pattern?

...snip...

And get my plans into actionable items.
I completely feel like I have missed the train and am always behind the next best thing.

...snip...

Lacking resources isn't your problem The world is filled with resources. You identified your problem in the very beginning.

Read 1000 different accounts of people's success and you won't find a duplicate in the bunch. The only thing they all have in common is taking action.

If you haven't read the book, do so. It will help you pare down your ideas to expose those most likely to succeed.

You don't need anyone to tell you how they did it. It doesn't matter how they did it, because that's not how you'll do it. What you need to do is tell us how you're doing it - ultimately that's the only story truly meant for you.

Thriftypreneur

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Jun 8, 2013
Tony Robbins has some interesting things to say about inaction. I'll try to summarize...

Not to sound harsh, but it sounds like you're comfortable in your current position and you simply don't want it bad enough.

The pleasure of sitting around doing nothing, watching that tv show, sleeping-in a little later, or wasting time on a forum to "seem busy" is worth more to you than what you could potentially gain by dealing with the pain of taking action.

Wanna get motivated? Quit your job and lose your home. Experience some real pain and then doing the work will seem miles more pleasurable than wasting time watching TV or something.

Now, I'm not really suggesting you should go live on the streets. I'm simply saying you need to figure out how to make NOT getting into action more painful, mentally, than the alternative.

Ask yourself...

"What do I stand to lose if I continue to waste time and do nothing?"
"What do I stand to gain if I get off my a$$ and get to work?"
"What will my life be like if I procrastinate until the end?"
"How will I feel if I take action and start working on something?"

As for your question...

Maybe you have published a book... So how? Did you just type it into a document and email it to a publisher?
Maybe you developed an app for the App Store... What did you use? How did you learn it best?
Maybe you created that website to make a process easier... How did you gather your clients? How did you create the process? What did you use to build the site?

Many people who were in your shoes, who had an idea and a burning passion to see it brought to fruition, simply got started. They simply started taking action. They had an idea, they started doing research, then they started bringing the pieces together.

I remember when I had an idea for a website back in the 90s, when I first got online. I didn't know the first thing about making one or anything, but I decided that I was going to build one - no matter what. So, I started researching and learning how to do it, and, a short while later, I had a shitty yet functioning website up. The point is, I didn't wait around for someone to hand me a blueprint on how to do what I wanted, I went out and captured the information and got to work. I searched for and found the shortest path from point A to point B and pushed forward.

It also sounds like you're searching for an idea of your own on how to reach success. Unfortunately I can't help you there, but maybe someone else can.

Just remember, every day you sit on your a$$ and do nothing is one less day you get to spend enjoying the fruits of your future success, and one more day that everything stays the same.

Good luck.

Sulleyboo7271

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
24%
Oct 29, 2012
Chandler, AZ
Yes... Trust me, I do see the pattern... And I do not like it...

A bit about me... I cannot afford to take many risks. Not yet in my life, but SOON!
I do have a great job and a six-figure income. BUT, it is J.O.B.
But I am in a blended family supporting 5 children.
With my blended family I do also pay 40% child support.
And I am the sole provider for the family.

So, I do see my transition into the Fastlane a progressive one with smaller steps taken.
And I am comfortable with that... It is the life I created, but I am not taking big steps to impact my family in a short term negative way for a long term positive way. I have had some trials and tribulations along the way and know that certain sacrifices will not be justified.

And I am not looking for someone to had me a blueprint or how-to-book... I fully understand that.
Like in my statements above, I do realize we all do things differently. If I were to actually build my house... sure I would get it done in 10X the amount of time than my local contractor, but 100% certain we would not do it the same.

What I seek most is...
Hey this website helped guide me...
This book was fantastic for learning _____....

I would not want things handed to me... they are not ever appreciated!
As I have in my IT career, learning hands-on and diving head first works best.
In a world that I am unfamiliar with... I would just desire someone to show me the right door...
Don't worry, I will walk in it... that or I will kick it down!

Thriftypreneur

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Jun 8, 2013
A bit about me... I cannot afford to take many risks. Not yet in my life, but SOON!
I do have a great job and a six-figure income. BUT, it is J.O.B.
But I am in a blended family supporting 5 children.
With my blended family I do also pay 40% child support.
And I am the sole provider for the family.

So, I do see my transition into the Fastlane a progressive one with smaller steps taken.
And I am comfortable with that... It is the life I created, but I am not taking big steps to impact my family in a short term negative way for a long term positive way.

I'm not quite sure why you link entrepreneurship with having to risk your families well-being and financial future. You don't have to risk anything to do work. "Sweat equity" costs nothing (except time and effort) and is how many people build successful businesses with low investments.

What I seek most is...
Hey this website helped guide me...
This book was fantastic for learning _____....

If we don't know what you want to do or what kind of business you're trying to build, how can we suggest learning materials for you?

I can recommend a great book that I'm reading to try and improve my writing skills, but, really, how helpful is that going to be to you?

Not meaning to sound harsh, although I'm sure it sounds that way, but you're going to need to ask better, more precise questions if you want better answers. And, the best way to do that is to get clear on what you want and what you want to achieve - no one can answer that for you. Good luck.

G

GuestUser8117

We are our worst enemies. You have the same problem I used to have. The problem is in your thought process. It's like you refuse to act on your desires, just like me. You have to reprogram your mind for success and deprogram your habits of inaction. It's all in the psychology. No one thinks the same, we're just very very different from each others, some are action oriented while others prefer inaction. There's no magic formula, success lies in taking consistant action. The fastlane is for action takers...Can't really help you on this.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
448%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Where are the resources to write that book?
Where are the resources to create the app that I have in my head?
Where are the resources to develop that new social media website?

LOL, you don't lack resources, you lack discipline and drive.

I can't believe someone in this day and age is complaining about not having the resources to build an app or write a book.

Every single thing you want to know is a few keystrokes away and it's FREAKING FREE. In fact, learning some of these things should only take someone a few hours, perhaps days, of committed study supported by Google searches.

And yet, you don't have the resources? LOL again.

If you ask me, it sounds like you're lazy and you want a "hand holder" who will give you a silver-bullet formula, some magic 1-2-3 "INSIDERS secret" that will cut down the time to success, which actually represents the real entrepreneurial process that so few are willing to undertake.

Thinking isn't your problem.

Success isn't about what you aren't willing to do, it's about what you are willing to give up.

Sorry, you asked.

Sulleyboo7271

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
24%
Oct 29, 2012
Chandler, AZ
Not meaning to sound harsh, although I'm sure it sounds that way, but you're going to need to ask better, more precise questions if you want better answers. And, the best way to do that is to get clear on what you want and what you want to achieve - no one can answer that for you. Good luck.

Not sounding harsh at all... I get it... I NEED focus!
I know I need to start and start something, that will help me in getting those more precise questions.
Your answers are helpful to me, even if they do not appear to be... I am taking it all in.

seven

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
May 19, 2013
My trick is, that if I have an idea, I start testing it. I create a prototype, just to test my idea.
I agree with myself, that the prototype will not be the base of a product. It will be discarded. It will be a test only.
It's interesting, that working on the prototype, you get more and more inspirations and a lot of motivation.

Try this. The rest will come.

SueC

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Jun 6, 2013
I know I need to start and start something... I am taking it all in.

Respectfully- because I have been right where you are now - you have to stop taking IN and start putting OUT.

Sit for an hour and write something. Anything. A how to, a draft business idea/plan. James Altucher writes multiple ideas a day, just to stay creative.

You don't need resources, you need to take a risk. Otherwise, why are you on this forum? Maybe you're not creative. You're going to need something creative inside if you want to be an entrepreneur. Plenty of people can point you in the right direction, but no one is going to give you a map, you have to draw it for yourself.

Sulleyboo7271

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
24%
Oct 29, 2012
Chandler, AZ
LOL, you don't lack resources, you lack discipline and drive.

I can't believe someone in this day and age is complaining about not having the resources to build an app or write a book.

Every single thing you want to know is a few keystrokes away and it's FREAKING FREE. In fact, learning some of these things should only take someone a few hours, perhaps days, of committed study.

Thanks for the reply and laughter in my post... Makes me laugh too and gives a nice slap of reality.
However, I am not 'complaining' and I know the resources are there...
But I really think you did hit the nail on the head... I do lack the discipline and drive right now.

If you ask me, it sounds like you're lazy and you want a "hand holder"

LOL... No, I am not a lazy person... At least not in the working aspect of things. Nor do I want my hand held. I have been working hard for what I have since 15. I tend to be too much of a giver to others, which is a good and bad thing. Yes, I help others to my wits end, but when it comes to myself I seem to be my last priority. My sanity, livelihood, wealth and health all seem to be at the bottom. THAT is what I need to change. Yeah, I do look for short-cuts and maybe that is what I should get away from... But I do not need, nor want, someone to do anything for me.

Success isn't about what you aren't willing to do, it's about what you are willing to give up.

Sorry, you asked.

Yes... So true... I do need to rethink things to get there. And I will.

No need to apologize... I take all feedback as constructive! Good or Bad, it can only benefit me as an individual and help me grow into the person I need to be. I have the potential, I have the intelligence to do it... I need the passion, discipline and drive to execute it.

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Oct 20, 2012
How do I execute an idea?

I outsource.

I don't code, I don't program, I hate learning boring programming languages.

So if you do not know how to do something or you hate something OUTSOURCE IT!

I have almost NEVER written any of the content on any of my sites.

All you need to do is figure out WHAT it is You WANT then go read a little bit about it and find working examples, then hire a talented soul to help put the idea together.

Sites worth checking out; elance.com , blackhatworld.com/blackhat-seo, warriorforum.com/warriors-hire, craigslist.org, fiverr.com

There you go...

Want to create an app and don't want to spend then next 2-3 months reading up on how to create an app, find a program with lots of reviews, have a discussion with him and have him make it for you. Same goes for websites.

That being said, I think its very useful to have at least 1 skill and if I were to learn one thing it would be MARKETING!

Learn how to market / sell a product and you will be able to transfer that skill to all kinds of areas.

Sulleyboo7271

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
24%
Oct 29, 2012
Chandler, AZ
I outsource.

And how successful has that been for you?
Is there risks in having your ideas taken from you?
Yeah, I have thought about outsourcing, but want the knowledge and background for creating other similar products.
I have come to realize that like most successful people say... You will fail before you succeed. Otherwise how do you know what success really is.

Learn how to market

So true!

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Oct 20, 2012
And how successful has that been for you?
Is there risks in having your ideas taken from you?
Yeah, I have thought about outsourcing, but want the knowledge and background for creating other similar products.
I have come to realize that like most successful people say... You will fail before you succeed. Otherwise how do you know what success really is.

So true!

Pretty alright.

I can put together a professional looking and functioning website for less than $2k. (much cheaper depending if I'm after real heavy lifting in the background or not -i.e custom programming).

There more than 1 way to skin a cat, you can try different ways of executing and finding one that works for you. The downside is that it can take time to find the right person to outsource to and sometimes you need to go through a few people before you get the final product.... and that's where it would be beneficial to know programing/coding. And it can be very COSTLY.

To keep your big ideas protected use NDA and hire local people (sue their pants of if they try to F8ck you over!).

Yep, you are right about that - don't be afraid of failing.... that's how you learn. I believe 80% of your ideas will be duds or do so so - but then you will have 20% of them that that really can make you really successful. It's a numbers game... start losing (and learning from your failures) and as long as you lift yourself up and try again then you are 1 step closer to succeeding.

Sulleyboo7271

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
24%
Oct 29, 2012
Chandler, AZ
Pretty alright.

Not that this matters... because I respect the response and feedback and appreciate it.
But, do you consider yourself to be in the Fastlane?
And IMO... a Fastlane does not mean that you are a millionaire.
I think everyone's Fastlane definition should be different.
If you do not consider yourself to be in the Fastlane... What will get you there?
If you are in it... what got you there?

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Oct 20, 2012
Not that this matters... because I respect the response and feedback and appreciate it.
But, do you consider yourself to be in the Fastlane?
And IMO... a Fastlane does not mean that you are a millionaire.
I think everyone's Fastlane definition should be different.
If you do not consider yourself to be in the Fastlane... What will get you there?
If you are in it... what got you there?

I'm still in the slowlane income wise.

But, my mentality is one of a producer, not a consumer, a saver, not a spender, an investor not a $30k millionaire so it's just a matter of a time before I am in the fastlane.

I have a few big ideas, that require some decent capital... so I'm just saving up slowly for that then I will launch on a small scale and scale it up slowly, I'm quite sure if I can execute the ideas pretty decently I can make a couple of millions :) I am quietly confident (still in my mid 20s - no kids, no girl - just focused on success).

Sulleyboo7271

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
24%
Oct 29, 2012
Chandler, AZ
this phrase, "You can't fix stupid"

LOL... Where did you get that phrase?

Even my undriven, lazy, hand-holding, wanna-preneur, etc. knows that you can fix anything...
Yes, the impossible is possible given the right attitude, passion and time.
Perseverance is what I live for...
I know my flaws, I know I need to fix them and fix them fast...
And I Will...
I have the ideas, and those ideas are not meant to benefit me, they are for the better of others.
Again... I am a giver...

Sulleyboo7271

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
24%
Oct 29, 2012
Chandler, AZ
I am quietly confident

My hat is off to you... You definitely have the right attitude and one I wish I had a long time ago...
But in my early years, it was a fast life, fast cars and not a focus on my future.
I lived life in the fast lane, literally, not financially...

However, I am here and will prove to all that age is no issue.
I am at ground level and am set to build an empire.

karmazon

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Jun 12, 2012
Orange County, Ca
To answer your question "What set you in motion to DO something?" it was the realization that I didn't have to start with a completely perfect business in place, shiny business cards, LLC, a website worth 100k, PR team etc. I could start as small as selling something on craigslist. I could start as small as making a simple wordpress website. Zappos started when Nick Swinmurn went to a retail store, took pictures of shoes and put them online. Now it's a billion dollar business, and there's no excuse why I cannot start the same way.

ollimatrix

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jun 9, 2013
I am not sure if I understand your problem - you are contradicting yourself.

I do consider myself a fairly smart individual.
I work in the IT field, but I can take on any project! I can fix a car and conduct any household repair.
I have the mentality that if someone else can do it, so can I. True, it may take me 10X longer, but I can do it.
God created me the same why he created everyone else here. Regardless of skin color, political views, lifestyle, or anything else that sets us apart.
Hey... I never said I can do it better... But I CAN do it!

I can develop that app, create the product, brand an existing product to something 'New and Improved'.

Great, than do it!

a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step

If you dont know what to do, look into the concept of NEXT ACTION. I think David Allen who wrote "getting things done" has made this concept very tangible.

For example: "Getting together for dinner with my friends" could be an item on your to do list. So what do you do next?
That's right, pick up the phone and call them to figure out a good day! but wait, should you maybe first look into your calendar and see when you would be available? Do you need to find their phone number? should you rather send an email?

Tada - the horrible and dauting task of "Getting together for dinner with my friends" is suddenly broke down into many actionable items, first steps, NEXT ACTIONS.

It wont always be easy to find that next action, and sometimes it wont even be easy to do the next action.
The Fastlane is about getting rich quick, not about getting rich easy.

Here's two good links to get you started:

Wikipedia
browse encyclopedia articles about anything you want to learn about

Google
type your question in the search box. many links will be dislayed that can help answer your question.

But I thought you already knew that?

Good luck!

AmyQ

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 5, 2013
If you want a kick in the pants, create a false sense of financial scarcity. I understand you have kids, and am not suggesting you shirk your responsibilities to them, but what financial resources are you currently using to make your life more comfortable/easy/pleasurable? Every penny is a resource that should be supporting your dreams, not making your present more palatable. A more palatable present, jeopardizes your future, both in mindset and in finances.

I am not saying that cutting discretionary spending and saving it is a long term path to success. However, I am saying that every dollar you spend on things like going out to eat or buying beer or whatever you like to spend money on is your present self robbing your future self of your dreams.

My husband and I literally lived beneath the poverty level (13,200 a year for two people) to get his business going, not because we had to, but because we chose to invest every available dollar into his business. Re-directing every dollar you have towards your goal will not only help you gather the resources you need, it will also help you build discipline, motivation and focus.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ

zoborg

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
May 20, 2013
Here is a question - if you had used the time you have spent replying to the feedback you have had on this thread, what could you have achieved? Please note the irony of you answering this question was not lost on me....

Take action.... Just get on with it....

Sulleyboo7271

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
24%
Oct 29, 2012
Chandler, AZ
Take action.... Just get on with it....

Trust me... I am taking action... I just do not have anything solid, YET.
I am reading up on the posts and absorbing what others have fed to me.
And I have begun reading about how to develop apps in Windows and IOS.
Lots of reading and testing for sure!
However, I am taking action...

Small steps..., I agree about and are not happy about, but they are steps forward!
And I am keeping my head up and face forward!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.