The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Retail

lejus

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Jun 8, 2017
UK
Hello everyone

I don't think I ever introduced myself although I read a few things and I love it here.

My story is probably typical, I started a long time ago with a few online sales, I made decent money as a student, this didn't work out in a long term since website I was using blocked sales of online materials so it literally ended overnight. After uni I went to wage slavery and tried side hustle, a small export operation in clothing field which went belly up, I made a little bit money there but eventually, I wasn't able to sell my last batch, I was slowlaner at the time. I started small business based on my degree but that was going very slowly, with providing just part time income. I kept slowlaning so eventually, I saved up a bit in stocks/shares and other investments and decided to go retail. You can imagine what happened, I sucked, badly, I not only wasn't making any money, I got involved with a small franchise which was trying to drain my small retail operation causing me to lose money. But this time I decided I won't quit and I refused to go back to slow lane and wage slavery. I put effort, I read, I learned, I listen to podcasts, I listen to other people, I improved my shop, I left the franchise and become fully independent.

It is 4 years later from the day I opened my retail, last year we had 20% growth, last month about 7% and December is by far worst month in a year for us every year so if even that grew there is a reason to celebrate. Still, there is a lot to improve, I need to scale, one thing is having a successful retail business but another is repeating it.

There are a few reasons why I decided to write here, first one I loved a book, I need to check the newest too. I also need to re-read it and decide what to do with right mindset.

Another reason for my posting is my social life, I can't complain about my family and friends, however, few people close to me become recently very negative and struggle a lot in their lives, I find it very difficult to keep a positive mindset around them, I try to help them as much as I can but it is difficult, talking about business with most of my friends was always like talking about colors to a blind person, on wage slavery they have different problems, what did they boss do, who is their favor/worst co-worker, where to go on holiday etc. Problems I can't relate to anymore and they can't relate or help me with mine, now when they changed their attitude and become difficult to be around I find that I look forward to communicating with positive people who are more business oriented, after all, you are average of 5 ppl that you spend most of the time with, so I hope we can hang around guys to minimise impact of my friends till they get their life together.

Last reason is I am kind of in the middle of the road, retail is being slaughtered by online businesses so I am thinking what's my next move, on the one hand, I become decent at what I do and I could repeat it in next location. On the other, I didn't pull the trigger because of the overall condition of retail and incoming in UK Brexit. I started working on side-hustle, coding, building online store etc. Any other retail guys here? Do you scale now or do you sit on the money and wait? I would love to hear from other retail people and from e-commerce people because that's what I am thinking about as a side-hustle. It is close enough to retail with currently with meeting more criteria of the fast lane than retail.

I will probably start another post with questions of what I struggle with and what options I consider with more details, but by all means, if you guys have any advice, guidance, comments, experience, ideas, recommendations, criticism, or whatever else, comment, I will be happy to read and discuss.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...