The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Record your phone calls. I need to recommend this app.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I think it goes without saying what kind of value this can provide, being able to refer back to what someone said on a call. As someone with a little bit of ADHD left in me, this app is GOLD... Also, you can bookmark and save word of mouth agreements over the phone should you ever need that information.

I negotiated for my mother, an interior designer, a 20 percent furniture commission for a multi-million dollar customer last year. I did it over the phone. I told her to go get a contract with them before she started the work... but she never got it in writing. They gave her 10 percent... I have zero proof of the 20, which we would have been able to hold them to if I recorded the conversation. I don’t even think they’re trying to screw anyone, over the last 6 months they just probably forgot I made them agree to double the commission.

Moral of the story: Cover your bases. Keep good records. Take good notes. Don’t let free money fly away... AND get agreements in writing.

I got a “Call Recorder” app from “appliquato” in the Google Play Store and it is exquisite. Further making @Vigilante correct about Android. It is 100 percent automatic and revolves your most recent 100 calls and allows you to save the ones you want forever and exempt certain people.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
I think it goes without saying what kind of value this can provide, being able to refer back to what someone said on a call. As someone with a little bit of ADHD left in me, this app is GOLD... Also, you can bookmark and save word of mouth agreements over the phone should you ever need that information.

I negotiated for my mother, an interior designer, a 20 percent furniture commission for a multi-million dollar customer last year. I did it over the phone. I told her to go get a contract with them before she started the work... but she never got it in writing. They gave her 10 percent... I have zero proof of the 20, which we would have been able to hold them to if I recorded the conversation. I don’t even think they’re trying to screw anyone, over the last 6 months they just probably forgot I made them agree to double the commission.

Moral of the story: Cover your bases. Keep good records. Take good notes. Don’t let free money fly away... AND get agreements in writing.

I got a “Call Recorder” app from “appliquato” in the Google Play Store and it is exquisite. Further making @Vigilante correct about Android.

I use this app too. Used it for almost 2 years and it's great. Been trying to get my wife to use it too, but that hasn't happened yet.

It has one drawback and one weird quirk that I haven't figured out yet.

Drawback - call recordings take up a lot of phone space. The good news is you can delete all the stuff you don't want to save.

Weird Quirk - sometimes the phone records beyond the call. It's like the phone didn't actually disconnect and you can continue to hear what's happening in the background. I can't remember if it records only on my end or if it's the caller, because it's been a while since I checked.

Overall it's a useful app for sure.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
I have an app also. The free version either records all calls or none. The paid version is very inexpensive. I can push the record button while the conversation is going on. It is setup to only record when I push a button. The button shows on the screen while the call is in progress.

I absolutely love this. Total Recall. Also in the Google Play Store.

Kruiser

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
318%
Aug 22, 2017
Arizona

Just remember that in a litigation situation (at least in the U.S.), any potentially relevant call recording you have is going to be discoverable by the other side and potentially admissible evidence.

So, having call recordings can cut both ways. There is a reason attorneys often advice their clients to "communicate that in a phone call, but don't put it in writing."

I'm not saying that the risk of having to produce your phone recordings in litigation necessarily trumps the convenience and advantages you note. I'm just saying that you should be aware of the risk. Especially someone like you, @Kak, who is probably doing fairly big deals. I don't want you to be surprised when you are in litigation and your attorney tells you that you have to give the other side all of your relevant call recordings.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I use this app too. Used it for almost 2 years and it's great. Been trying to get my wife to use it too, but that hasn't happened yet.

It has one drawback and one weird quirk that I haven't figured out yet.

Drawback - call recordings take up a lot of phone space. The good news is you can delete all the stuff you don't want to save.

Weird Quirk - sometimes the phone records beyond the call. It's like the phone didn't actually disconnect and you can continue to hear what's happening in the background. I can't remember if it records only on my end or if it's the caller, because it's been a while since I checked.

Overall it's a useful app for sure.

Did you buy the pro version? I have no issue buying a huge microSD card for the storage of the calls... right now I have it saving to google drive though.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Just remember that in a litigation situation (at least in the U.S.), any potentially relevant call recording you have is going to be discoverable by the other side and potentially admissible evidence.

So, having call recordings can cut both ways. There is a reason attorneys often advice their clients to "communicate that in a phone call, but don't put it in writing."

I'm not saying that the risk of having to produce your phone recordings in litigation necessarily trumps the convenience and advantages you note. I'm just saying that you should be aware of the risk. Especially someone like you, @Kak, who is probably doing fairly big deals. I don't want you to be surprised when you are in litigation and your attorney tells you that you have to give the other side all of your relevant call recordings.

No worries, probably good information for this thread. I definitely understood that having sued a major telecom provider based on an agreement in a call I know THEY recorded. I still see more advantages than disadvantages to having documentation.

Last edited:

Niptuck MD

plutocrat-in-training
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 31, 2016
NORWAY - POLAND - WEST EUROPE
appliqato pro is like only 5$ i think

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas

Niptuck MD

plutocrat-in-training
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 31, 2016
NORWAY - POLAND - WEST EUROPE
oh ok must have been 5 euros then for me lol maks sense. still worth it no doubt

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Did you buy the pro version? I have no issue buying a huge microSD card for the storage of the calls... right now I have it saving to google drive though.

No, I never noticed the pro version. The free version works fine for me. It lets me share to Google drive if I need extra room.

GlobalWealth

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Sep 6, 2009
Latvia
Been using this for a couple of years.

It saved my a$$ in court a couple of times.

Sent from my VTR-L29 using Tapatalk

Wim

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Feb 13, 2018
Belgium

I though in Belgium, so I imagine Europe, only one side has to agree to the recording.
The lawyer remark was why I used to only want to deal through mail. But it can at least make a nice addition, to show how much effort you put into both mailing and calling them while they're ignoring your emails and telling you to go F*ck yourself over the phone.

Otherwise, they might weasel their way out of it as they "had too much emails for their staff to swiftly reply to", which changes quickly with the added recordings.

No worries, probably good information for this thread. I definitely understood that having sued a major telecom provider based on an agreement in a call I know THEY recorded. I still see more advantages than disadvantages to having documentation.

Exactly!

InspireHD

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Dec 9, 2014
I'll leave this thought up to you guys, but just keep in mind that recording phone conversations may violate state or federal wiretap laws. The easiest way to get around that is to just let the other person know that you are recording the conversation. If they consent, you're good. If they don't consent, then you have to stop recording.

From my brief research, the "two-party consent" states are:

California
Delaware
Florida
Illinois
Maryland
Massachusetts
Montana
Nevada
New Hampshire
Pennsylvania
Washington

If you do not live in one of those states, then only one-party consent is required. This means that you personally are consenting to the recording of the conversation that you are involved in. It does not mean you can record a conversation of someone else while you are a passerby or bystander.

Kruiser

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
318%
Aug 22, 2017
Arizona
But it can at least make a nice addition, to show how much effort you put into both mailing and calling them while they're ignoring your emails and telling you to go f*ck yourself over the phone.
Exactly!

Yeah, I don't mean to overstate the litigation risk of call recording. If you are ethical and honest in your business dealings, most of the time call recordings will help you.

But litigation is less about truth than spin and posturing. In a typical commercial litigation situation, the litigation is proceeding years after the facts giving rise to the dispute. You are dealing with faded memories, unreachable key witnesses, changed personal and business relationships, etc. On the right set of facts, a recorded call can save the day. But on the wrong set of facts, a recorded call (effectively spun by the other side) could be a disaster and you could wish you had never recorded your calls.

The point is that you don't know how the facts will play out as you are recording your calls. Don't assume recorded calls will always help you just because you are honest. You might only know 5 years from now whether they help or harm you.

I realize that having a recorded call blow up on you in litigation is an unlikely event. But low likelihood potentially high impact.

When @Kak originally posted recommending recording all calls, alarm bells started going off in my mind ("Danger: Potentially Disastarous Unintended Consquences!").

Sorry. I'll shut up about the litigation risk now . . .

Wim

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Feb 13, 2018
Belgium
Hey @Kruiser, thanks for the addition.

I was imagining a faster rate of dealing with the customer, as in a few months tops for web development. Next to the development itself, the retainer would be put in a different contract etc. But I might be a bit too naive sometimes.

The only time when I had the "option" to go to court, was against a fraudulent landlord. He, however, had "law insurance(?)" so he wouldn't have to pay for his lawyers while I would.
Spinning this out would easily be more expensive than the €2k it cost me in the end so I swallowed my losses and moved on.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Yeah, I don't mean to overstate the litigation risk of call recording. If you are ethical and honest in your business dealings, most of the time call recordings will help you.

But litigation is less about truth than spin and posturing. In a typical commercial litigation situation, the litigation is proceeding years after the facts giving rise to the dispute. You are dealing with faded memories, unreachable key witnesses, changed personal and business relationships, etc. On the right set of facts, a recorded call can save the day. But on the wrong set of facts, a recorded call (effectively spun by the other side) could be a disaster and you could wish you had never recorded your calls.

The point is that you don't know how the facts will play out as you are recording your calls. Don't assume recorded calls will always help you just because you are honest. You might only know 5 years from now whether they help or harm you.

I realize that having a recorded call blow up on you in litigation is an unlikely event. But low likelihood potentially high impact.

When @Kak originally posted recommending recording all calls, alarm bells started going off in my mind ("Danger: Potentially Disastarous Unintended Consquences!").

Sorry. I'll shut up about the litigation risk now . . .

I understand there is some legal exposure here. This, however, is a bit "sky is falling" in my opinion. I still see more positives than negatives.

I live in a state that is one-party consent. Obviously, I consent.

I'm careful with my data, and use of these recordings. I conduct myself with the upmost integrity and honesty. I can see zero times where I would have exposed myself to litigation over the phone. I can also think of many times when I could have taken care of a problem MUCH easier with a call recording. I'll take my chances.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
Just have to point out that I believe in some states both parties have to know they’re being recoreded. That’s why when you call an 800 Number you always hear “this call may be monitored or recorded for quality assurance..” they have to let you know you’re being recorded. If it’s for personal reasons, that’s fine. But trying to use it in court id let them know if they’re in one of those states.

Edit: apologies, InspireHD already covered this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
To bring back an old thread...

Has anyone had any luck lately with Android ACR programs? I use these to record technical notes and to refresh my memory on business calls. I believe that since the latest Android update it has killed the ability for these programs to record the 3rd party side of the conversation.

Has anyone found a way to work around this, or gotten their program to work? It needs to also work over bluetooth.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.