The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

recommend me a PPC guy/company please.

theBiz

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Jul 9, 2009
NY
Hi i need to hire someone to help set up PPC campaigns. I would really like if some people here can share any experiences or even recommend another. We are all serious members here so even if you want to apply yourself PM me its not problem.

I have found a company that says basically pay us X amount of dollars plus they make a % of each click, they guarantee first rank results but the price is too much unless your a big time company already.

I have always been worried about security and passwords of this sort, am i right to think this? If so how do you protect yourself. thank you/.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Rakona

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Jul 14, 2009
Thanks Sparlin,

There are some red flags here I think would be helpful for everyone if addressed.

they guarantee first rank results

Ok

1. 'First rank' is salesman garbage.

There's something in Google called impression share, meaning your ads don't get shown all the time, but a portion of the searches. To WAY oversimplify, your ad is shown 50%-99% of the time. You can increase this several ways, but no one can guarantee your ad will be there ALL the time.

When companies offer up things like this, they usually give you a term no one searches for & put your ad up. You Google it every morning and feel good. Problem is you're the only one google'ing it.

More importantly, I’m assuming your goal is to make money, not brand, so you should be talking budget & cost per conversion with these guys.

but the price is too much unless your a big time company already.

The price is only too much if you can't profitably convert the traffic. Which is the job of your product, offer, copy...etc. as well as your PPC. An increase in efficiency should offset their markup, or else you may have other problems outside of just PPC.

I have always been worried about security and passwords of this sort, am i right to think this? If so how do you protect yourself. thank you/.

There's no need to be concerned about this. You can provide them access you control by giving them the customer ID number in the top right corner of your adwords account. They can then request access & you approve it & have the ability to cut them at any time.

Some basic things you want to bring to the table finding the right person:

1. What are your important KPI's - key performance indicators: cost per lead, cost per sale, return on ad spend...etc. How often will they be reporting back to you on these?

2. What are you spending to acquire a customer in other avenues as a benchmark? What can you afford to spend to acquire a new customer? On a basic level, my product is $100, my cost is $50, so $50 cost per sale is my break even. You'll want to work out some break even scenarios on cost per click & conversion rates.

i.e. if my break even is $50/sale, at $1/click, I need to convert at 2%

again, this is all drastically oversimplified, but you need to at least start here.

…Do you have any kind of history on how well your offer converts from other traffic sources? I'm getting the impression this is a new offer/business?

If you can provide us with some info on what you're selling and/or what the business model is, I can give you some things to think about that will help you present this to potential providers so they get that you really know your stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:

theBiz

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Jul 9, 2009
NY
thank you Rakona you gave alot of great info.

well im just not good with the PPC. I wish i started earlier but i really do not know much about this. The idea of paying $3-$5 for a single click will never go over easy with me. Although there is very high profits im not sure if this would make sense. I guess you can say its under $10 now in other channels to acquire a new client but either way i would have to be getting crazy sign ups in order for a few dollars per click to make sense.

As far as the seo/ppc company goes this company claims first ranking for your keywords. I agree with the timing thing but they are for sure a big legit company on tv shows and such, its expensive but they will get it done.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
As far as the seo/ppc company goes this company claims first ranking for your keywords. I agree with the timing thing but they are for sure a big legit company on tv shows and such, its expensive but they will get it done.

So because they are on TV shows they are legit? Listen to Rakona. I get calls once a week from SEO and PPC companies that lie their asses off on the phone.

What they say
"We can guarantee your company gets the top result in google"

What they mean
"For the keyword phrase 'looking for ghillie suits in chicago' we will bid $0.50 and since only 5 people search this term a month, you will be the only paid result in google. Technically your result is the 1st paid result so it is the 'top' result"

If you can't pay $3-$5 a click because the ROI is not there you will need to concentrate on different keywords, do some SEO for longtail stuff. I always say that if the other guys are paying $3 a click they must be making money. However, I've seen alot of weird bidding on terms and sometimes I think its the newbies who are bidding up the prices and probably pissing the real PPC experts off.

Where is that link to the "SE zero" video. I need to relearn Instant Pixel Notification and SE4.

A

Anon3587x

PPC can get pretty expensive.
Some clicks are at like 40$+ according to some sources I read.
F that

I'd rather buy 2000 business cards and hand them out to everybody I come across IRL.

19.95=1000 quality business cards

snowbank

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Aug 10, 2007
Austin, TX
PPC can get pretty expensive.
Some clicks are at like 40$+ according to some sources I read.
F that

I'd rather buy 2000 business cards and hand them out to everybody I come across IRL.

19.95=1000 quality business cards

This doesn't make any sense at all.

If someone can make a good return on something the price they pay for the lead being 4 cents or $40 doesn't mean anything.

You spending time handing out business cards to non-targeted buyers isn't related at all to ppc.

If every x you spend returns you 2x you're going to do that all day long.

theBiz

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Jul 9, 2009
NY
yes this is a must to master. I need alot of leads, this is not a small time thing, i need to start testing so i get my numbers correct in order to scale.

I dont have the time at this point. Trial and error is something i am over, can i just pay an expert to do this for me?

Where do i find one?

Should i worry about trust?

I found local places on meetup.com (not spamming actually an amazing site to meet groups)

I would like to have a physical person i can meet with and go over PPC and seo campaigns. I know everyone will ask why, I just feel better that if 40 percent of business depends on seo and ppc i can go and see them if i have to.

I can pay high prices for PPC, not completely automated so there is higher profit margins.

Rakona

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Jul 14, 2009
From earlier, yes, cost per click is irrelevant. I have a few clients in the $40+/click range, but a good deal from one of those clicks could be worth $1mil+ for them.

Ideally you have an edge in the way you convert the clicks that make it impossible for competition to outspend you.

People that are good at ppc can get volume & efficiency. But that doesn't necessarily mean they are good at business strategy. So you need to fill that role completely or make sure your PPC guy/company can hang with that side of things too, because they are interrelated.

If cost really is an issue here, buy Perry Marshall's book, spend a week reading it backwards & forwards, then go spend $500-$1,000 in Google yourself. This way you can ask the PPC people the right questions, have reasonable expectations & give them a baseline you can look for improvement on.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
...buy Perry Marshall's book, spend a week reading it backwards & forwards, then go spend $500-$1,000 in Google yourself. This way you can ask the PPC people the right questions, have reasonable expectations & give them a baseline you can look for improvement on.

Rakona-

Is this the one?

Amazon.com: Ultimate Guide to Google Ad Words, 2nd Edition: How To Access 100 Million People in 10 Minutes (9781599183602): Perry Marshall, Bryan Todd: Books

I'm about to dive into some well-deserved reading, so I'd love to include the right book! :)

-Russ H.

Luke12321

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
31%
Jul 27, 2007
North Carolina
I think so Russ. I searched on amazon by publication date and it is the newest edition on amazing. Though on in his site, he has a 2010 edition but that may be e-book only for now? I purchased it today and I am going to read it soon.

Toiletcake

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Nov 4, 2007
I have been working with different PPC managers for the last few years. I will tell you that you really need to do your homework. I can also tell you that anyone that studies the "Perry Marshall" school of teachings is going to put you way ahead of the competition. I really cant stress this enough. His methods are spot on and they work. I am not plugging him for any reason outside of the fact that I am explaining the road I traveled down after getting beat in by the other so called ppc pros.

I would start out paying the standard ppc manager fees, some percentage of spend most likely. I dont like this plan but you need to establish a baseline of spend a month. After you can see what it costs to run your campaign and things are fairly consistent then you should aim for a base plus commission plan

Example -

$7.00 per lead - $5.00 (goal price)* 30% = commission. This way you will find people that will always work to lower your outlay and at the same time they get paid a higher rate based on your savings per lead.

Just some fyi stuff. Best of luck

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
I think so Russ. I searched on amazon by publication date and it is the newest edition on amazing. Though on in his site, he has a 2010 edition but that may be e-book only for now? I purchased it today and I am going to read it soon.

Luke, it looks like the book on amazon has a 2010 print date:

Ultimate Guide to Google Ad Words, 2nd Edition:
How To Access 100 Million People in 10 Minutes [Paperback]
Perry Marshall
Product Details
Paperback: 304 pages
Publisher: Entrepreneur Press; 2nd edition (January 6, 2010)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 1599183609
ISBN-13: 978-1599183602
Product Dimensions: 9.9 x 7.9 x 0.7 inches

I'm ordering a bunch of Disney books (no, not what you're thinking-- they're business books written by ex-imagineers and such on how Disney runs their business).

I love to read. Should be an interested couple of weeks coming up! :banana:

-Russ H.

Luke12321

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
31%
Jul 27, 2007
North Carolina
Sounds like a very interesting read. I have a ton of reading ahead of me over the coming month or so but it isn't so bad when I actually want to learn the subject. (Unlike the college years)

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Many thanks, Rakona! :banana:

-Russ H.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.