The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Realtor vs Attoney in Commercial

April

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Jan 24, 2008
I'm curious as to the opinions of using a realtor vs. an attoney to put together you commerical deals. Can anyone share their experiences.(pros and cons)

I personally write my own letter of intent but like the idea of attoneys because it cheaper...but cheaper isn't always better so please share.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
It is not a matter of one vs. the other. If you have little experience, you may want to have an agent on your side. The problem is that you probably won't see all the best deals this way. Most agents in the commercial arena want to get the sale without an agent on the other side and will work hard to accomplish this. It makes sense most of the time because the agents have a network of buyers on their list.

An agent from either side will give you a purchase contract that favors themselves. There are usually very few representations and warrantees in the buyer's favor. For this reason alone you should have an attorney. The seller may want to use their own contract for a sale but you may want to have an attorney review and negotiate the paperwork.

It helps to have an attorney on the loan contracts as well.

I went for a number of years without a contract attorney without any problems. That is the key point. If you do have a problem, you will wish you had used on early on.

KyJoe

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Aug 28, 2007
That's good advice. Commercial brokers use the worst contracts, they leave little if any exits (unlike a residential contract). I could probably write a better contract on toilet paper than a good bit of the commercial contracts that I have seen.

randallg99

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
It depends on the complexity of the deal... a simple buy of real estate property without any environmental issues or title problems, etc can be performed without much assistance.

I personally use attorneys despite a few extra bucks... covers myself from start to finish whether its a single family rental or a 50k sq ft retail site

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.