• Discuss Entrepreneurship | Start-Ups | Starting a Business | Wealth | Money | Success | Investing
  1. Escape the Grind. Resurrect The Dream. Live Happily Ever After.

Become an UNSCRIPTED™Entrepreneur.

Don’t just build a business—build a life and a legacy. UNSCRIPTED™ Entrepreneurship is a specific subset of business creation that awakens dreams, frees time, and explodes incomes—but more importantly, it changes lives.

Make no mistake; this isn’t something you “try”— this is something you live.
    KICKSTART YOUR PERSONAL REVOLUTION TODAY.
    Get The Book(s) Download More Info Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

Change Yourself.
Change Your Life.
Change The World.

Tired of broke bloggers giving you advice? Within minutes, get millionaire advice from real entrepreneurs who live the dream.

Reading is slowlane

Discussion in 'General Mindset, Motivation, Beliefs' started by 458, Feb 25, 2017.

FORUM SEARCH

Need answers about entrepreneurship? Search FIRST! More than likely your entrepreneurial topic has already been discussed.
Powered by Google Site Search.
  1. Frankie Relax

Frankie Relax Contributor Read The Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $172
    I think that, except few notable exceptions (of course, TMF is one of those! ) , reading is a total waste of time, money and effort.

Why? Because reading is a consumer-mind action. Real producers don't read, thay sell books people read (and maybe buy...)

I published 10 books. Well, I'm not getting rich with them, but sometimes I get some sales and that's good because it is basically passive income.

Instead, I read more 1000 books and - besides the exceptions already mentioned above - none of them enriched me. I'd say, approximately, that about 90% of them were a total crap. Obviously, starting with school books!

What if, instead of reading 1000 and publishing 10 books, I had done the exact opposite, publishing 1000 and reading 10? I guess I would be far richer now.

Thus, if you read - almost always - the only people to earn on it are the author, the publishing company (if not self-published) and the bookstore (if not sold autonomously by the author).

It's the same ol' story. The producer mindset vs. the consumer mindset.

2. policebaton

policebaton Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $604
    I think I get your point, and like the beginning responses touched on... a lot of books are sooo watered down it really stinks. It's just because large publishing companies know that around 300 pages is the most profitable middle ground for most books. It's no coincidence that most books are around that length lol.

But there are some that aren't watered down with stories, and are either 150 or even 500 pages jam packed with goodies.

3. Ultra Magnus

Ultra Magnus Bronze Contributor Read The Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,019
    Reading versus taking action, which is MOAR fastlane?

Breathing versus eating, which is better and why?

DISCUSS!!!1

/rant

Kade likes this.
  4. Frankie Relax

Rep Bank:
    $172
    I don't get your analogy. Breathing and eating are both necessary to live (well, there are people who think it's possible to live without food: Inedia - Wikipedia ... )

MoreVolume likes this.
  5. Ultra Magnus

Ultra Magnus Bronze Contributor Read The Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,019
    That's exactly the point.

If you want to make a million bucks by running a business and you think you'll be able to avoid either, then you're in for a nasty surprise.

You have to read AND you have to take action on what you read, or your big dreams will become roadkill. Business isn't easy. Unless you can tell me you already know everything you need to know to start and run a company (legal, fiscal, operations, sales, management of your own people or those to whom you outsource your stuff), then you're gonna have to get that knowledge from somewhere.

Who cares if in the process you read a whole bunch of unnecessary shit, and at what point you'll read it? There is no reading list that was specifically composed to outline the path of your success. You gotta compile one on your own, and most likely you're going to make more than a few wrong choices. Who knows which exact idea, strategy or tactic will net you the biggest profits? You have to find out for yourself, even though it means sifting through a pile of useless info (that might've been just what others used to succeed).

Likewise, you will take action and it will lead you nowhere most of the time. Most of the time you'll be correcting your mistakes to find the path that works FOR YOU. Is sales a great event that will make you rich in an instant? More likely it will be a small, irregular trickle of orders, that grows and eventually becomes a river, maybe even a flood. The actions you take to make it grow will be varied, and most of them won't work at all. Does that mean you shouldn't take any action?

Is researching important aspects of your business reading or taking action?

What's the point of juxtaposing the two? It's a false dichotomy. They're both sides of the same coin that builds your financial wealth. In the saving account of your success, it will be accompanied by other such building blocks:

- Rejection (by vendors, manufacturers or prospects)
    - Long hours
    - Tedious work
    - Ridicule and criticism from people who don't like what you're offering and feel the need to tell you all about it on the Internet
    - Financial risk (which you might be able to justify to yourself, but which might be a hard sell for your spouse)
    - Explaining yourself to the relevant authorities (e.g. justifying business expenses for the purposes of VAT refunds in the EU)
    - Paying taxes on your paltry newbie profits
    - Spending less time goofing around with your best buddies
    - And more!

I could go on, but I hope you can understand the motivation for my previous sarcasm.

6. Invictus

Invictus Bronze Contributor Read The Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,312
    Not sure if it already was, but this post should be featured IMO.

MJ DeMarco likes this.
  7. MJ DeMarco

MJ DeMarco Raving Lunatic Staff Member Read The Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $212,084
    Admin Post
    Done. In anything, it needs to be stickied.

Greg Rutkowski and Invictus like this.
  8. Ecom man

Ecom man Platinum Contributor Read The Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $24,951
    IMO the internet has taken the place of reading actual books. Except for a few books that I read in January when on vacation I haven't read a book at all this year. Have I read? Absolutely! I've spent hundreds of hours reading about marketing, SEO, Adwords optimizations, etc, etc, etc. Where did I read all of that info? The Internet.

DonLion, Kingmaker and Frankie Relax like this.
  9. Karri

Karri New Contributor Read The Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $49
    Dan Pena once said "Reading is an excuse for not pulling the trigger"

That quote was a wake-up-call for me. I've read hundreds of books
    - mostly self-help, business, science, classics etc. A few years ago I noticed
    that although I had read all these books, there was no forward momentum in my life
    where I was using the information. I was really caught in an analysis paralysis,
    and had a false sense of accomplishment because of reading.
    Reading probably got you into the fastlane.

And dont get me wrong, we should all be grateful for living in this era of information.

BUT our society overvalues readers, "dont watch tv, read a good book" "read the news" is what
    you're told. Like reading a fictional story is any better than watching a soap-opera.
    Thinkers and those who can hold an intelligent discourse are seen as top tier in our hierarchy -
    Doers not so much..

Despite the fact that those who dirty their hands and put in the work - provide the basic foundation for this
    kind of infrastructure to even exist. Knowing too much, or thinking that you know - can be a hindrance too.
    Believing in something firmly makes the mind rigid - and makes it harder to think outside the box. Questioning your
    own beliefs creates cognitive dissonance.

Henry Ford's engineers said to him that it's impossible to build an engine
    with the eight cylinders in one block. Ford said "Produce it anyway"..the rest is history. This is a prime example where the engineers who "knew" better because of their education and booksmarts that something was impossible. So reading can also limit you.

One of the best experiments for a book-junkie like me has been the "not reading the news" experiment, coined by the serial entrepreneur Peter Sage.
    I've not read any news for a year now, and it has been one of the best decisions in my life. If something is worth knowing, people will discuss about it anyway..
    "How do you know what's happening then", well everything's happening anyway - I don't need to fill my mind with war zone news from around the world. News rarely benefit your sphere of reality, or business. This experiment has made my focus even more action-oriented, since there's no useless clutter in my mind.

I highly recommend audiobooks, since you can listen to them almost anywhere. Nowadays my life is 80% action, 20% reading, and I can guarantee its way more impactful than the 80% reading 20% action way which I used to live...

Reading and constantly growing as a person is a virtue, but only if you apply what you know in the real world - and bring value to those around you.
    So please remember to pull the trigger!

10. Rickchise23

Rickchise23 Passive Income Ninja I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $3,077
    I understand what you are saying, but respectfully disagree. While getting bogged down by every business book or Gary Vee video can be counterproductive I think that there is a natural progression that many entrepreneurs must make in order to go into something in the right frame of mind.

Of course, part of what you are saying is true, without no action and execution, you will get absolutely nowhere. However I think that there are alot of people out there who have decent jobs, families to take care of and ideas that they plan to execute. Getting in the right state of mind, learning about niches that may work or just studying case studies of other successful entrepreneurs is a vital primer for many first time entrepreneurs.

I know from personal experience that I tried the "massive action" approach and started new businesses that were successful, however I built them incorrectly, in a difficult niche that left me with no solid exit strategy.

I would propose that Reading AND implementing actionable steps that move your business forward on a daily basis is the ideal answer here. The truth is we all have time to do this. You can pound away at your business for 8 hours and then spend 2 hours reading, listening to podcast or taking a photoshop class that will give your the ideas and skills necessary to readjust or pivot your business into its best position.

I will say though when faced with the proposition of either reading or taking action, take action first. Good discussion here btw

JaxAttacks likes this.
  11. Frankie Relax

Rep Bank:
    $172

I totally agree with your post.

12. MK1

MK1 New Contributor Read The Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $22
    I understand your point but without reading I wouldn't be on this forum and I wouldn't know
    about the fastlane.

13. Omerroz

Omerroz Contributor Read The Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $116
    you need to start from something..
    if you read you can get the knowledge to your business