The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Random, Unqualified people trying to get a piece of the action

A post of a ranting nature...

MoreVolume

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Oct 6, 2016
NC
Does anyone else ever go through this?
Someone reaches out to you thinking that they can sell your product or join your team, just because. Peeps with no type of business experience, whatsoever
———
Story:
I usually ship my products. If there are more than 8 orders, I take the packages to the Post Office (since they can’t fit in the mailbox). Almost every day this year I’ve had to go to the Post Office.

Last week one of the USPS employees asked me what I was selling. He sees me basically everyday so he’s figured out that I’m making money. I told him about my product and told him my website.

A few days later when I came in he told me he wanted to be a distributor. On my site I have a Wholesale/Retail page. It’s meant for Brick & Mortar stores (which is obvious if you see the form). He must have saw it and figured he can make some money too

I was taken aback because he doesn’t qualify to sell my product. I didn’t know how to respond. I literally muttered some incoherent gibberish and said I’ll see you later

Now every time I come in he talks to me like we are buddies and mentions that he will send me the form soon. It’s super awkward.

I have plenty of stories but you guys get the idea. It gets really uncomfortable

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

DaRK9

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
May 23, 2014
Someone reaches out to you thinking that they can sell your product or join your team, just because. Peeps with no type of business experience, whatsoever
———
Story:
I usually ship my products. If there are more than 8 orders, I take the packages to the Post Office (since they can’t fit in the mailbox). Almost every day this year I’ve had to go to the Post Office.

Last week one of the USPS employees asked me what I was selling. He sees me basically everyday so he’s figured out that I’m making money. I told him about my product and told him my website.

A few days later when I came in he told me he wanted to be a distributor. On my site I have a Wholesale/Retail page. It’s meant for Brick & Mortar stores (which is obvious if you see the form). He must have saw it and figured he can make some money too

I was taken aback because he doesn’t qualify to sell my product. I didn’t know how to respond. I literally muttered some incoherent gibberish and said I’ll see you later

Now every time I come in he talks to me like we are buddies and mentions that he will send me the form soon. It’s super awkward.

I have plenty of stories but you guys get the idea. It gets really uncomfortable
If he is hungry there is always something he qualifies for.

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
———
Story:

Maybe he’s burnt out and looking for bigger and better opportunities.

MoreVolume

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Oct 6, 2016
NC
If he is hungry there is always something he qualifies for.
Not with my company lol. There’s no room.
Maybe he’s burnt out and looking for bigger and better opportunities.
Understandable. But let me show you the text from my Wholesale page

Want ***** your shelves?
is the perfect addition to your store, clinic or pharmacy. We will provide you with great pricing, promotion graphics and top notch customer service.

Just download the editable form below, and email us a completed version to ******”
This isn’t something he’s qualified for

MitchM

Act. Then Adapt.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
228%
Nov 15, 2016
Atlanta, GA
———
Story:

Whether or not someone is qualified, I find no offense when someone wants to help out or work with me.

It can be uncomfortable to say no, but I generally find that it’s easy to give reasons why I don’t need the help that is being offered.

If someone is genuinely unqualified/ you don’t need it - then there are millions of excuses you can come up with. So you have the option of being gentle or just shitting on them. It’s pretty obvious you don’t want to do the latter (and neither do I).

Lorenz

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
400%
Jul 26, 2019
Vienna
It's possible he just wants to make easy money and thinks he can profit of you having done all the hard work - which can be annoying of course. It is also possible he thinks that he can be of value to you. We don't know, we can't look into his mind.

And in the end it doesn't matter. He is one of the many people who want something different than you do. That's okay, it happens every day.

I recommend you tell him, your system works fine and you don't need to change anything. Thank him politely for the offer, if you want.

The ability of saying and hearing "no" is incredibly valuable. One could see this as an opportunity to practice, because you will need it again.

And what really is the better option? Telling him you appreciate the enthusiasm but don't need his service and maybe feeling weird once.

Or feeling weird every day when you go there?

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
631%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
If he doesn’t bring you orders it costs you 0. If he brings you orders you make money. What’s there to complain about? Sell him the products upfront if he is so confident. I have never understood why people would ever say no to someone offering to sell products for you. It makes 0 sense.

ruzara5

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
May 1, 2011
Currently in Washington State
Those customer service words I learned in the past present and future. Yes, No, Maybe. All of them are good. Variations of depth and shortness can be gauged with the transaction and the persons involved. Sometimes 'no' is a good thing. If a reason is needed. Simply at this time we are a xx market only. Please feel free to contact us in the future. Have a good day. Etc..Etc.

MoreVolume

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Oct 6, 2016
NC
If you have no room, you should say that you have no room at the moment... or ever. Learning to say no and not do what people are expecting is a skill too.
It’s not even about having room. I should have never replied to the guys post.
I welcome anyone who wants to sell my product wholesale, but only retail stores and clinics. People with the ability to sell and maintain the integrity of the brand
It's possible he just wants to make easy money and thinks he can profit of you having done all the hard work - which can be annoying of course. It is also possible he thinks that he can be of value to you. We don't know, we can't look into his mind.

And in the end it doesn't matter. He is one of the many people who want something different than you do. That's okay, it happens every day.

I recommend you tell him, your system works fine and you don't need to change anything. Thank him politely for the offer, if you want.

The ability of saying and hearing "no" is incredibly valuable. One could see this as an opportunity to practice, because you will need it again.

And what really is the better option? Telling him you appreciate the enthusiasm but don't need his service and maybe feeling weird once.

Or feeling weird every day when you go there?
I’ve heard the part about saying no many times, and I understand it’s necessary to my progression. But I just hate uncomfortable situations. But after further review, that moment is coming no matter what
If he doesn’t bring you orders it costs you 0. If he brings you orders you make money. What’s there to complain about? Sell him the products upfront if he is so confident. I have never understood why people would ever say no to someone offering to sell products for you. It makes 0 sense.
i disagree
If he sells 0, it’s possible that he devalues my product
I don’t allow everyday joes to sell my product online, because my company sells it online. We have professional illustrations, animation and photography. This can’t be replicated by some random guy looking for side money. It took me a while to figure out how to properly advertise my product. Having just anyone add their twists with my product name is going to make things look less professional. There is a risk.
I do well enough to not need his money

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
631%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
You are free to do as you like then. But you’re complaining about a non issue and acting like everyone knows about your company and you have some sort of special brand equity that would be tarnished by someone less intelligent selling it.

Zcott

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
Jul 24, 2018
Not with my company lol. There’s no room.

Understandable. But let me show you the text from my Wholesale page

Want ***** your shelves?
is the perfect addition to your store, clinic or pharmacy. We will provide you with great pricing, promotion graphics and top notch customer service.

Just download the editable form below, and email us a completed version to ******”
This isn’t something he’s qualified for

Is it possible the person is related to or is friends with someone who owns a store, clinic or pharmacy, and that is what he meant by being a distributor for you?

Either way, having a qualifying talk with him it sounds like a win win situation for you. Talk to the guy and you qualify him and business goes somewhere or you unqualify him and that's where it ends.

MoreVolume

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Oct 6, 2016
NC
Is it possible the person is related to or is friends with someone who owns a store, clinic or pharmacy, and that is what he meant by being a distributor for you?

Either way, having a qualifying talk with him it sounds like a win win situation for you. Talk to the guy and you qualify him and business goes somewhere or you unqualify him and that's where it ends.
Nope
I spoke with him more, and his plan was to try to sell my product through his personal social media pages. I asked him to email me his website and he sent a link to some 2-bit illegal steaming website, which he doesn’t even promote online
He’s simply not qualified, and I let him know that
But that hasn’t stopped him.

Zcott

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
Jul 24, 2018
Nope
I spoke with him more, and his plan was to try to sell my product through his personal social media pages. I asked him to email me his website and he sent a link to some 2-bit illegal steaming website, which he doesn’t even promote online
He’s simply not qualified, and I let him know that
But that hasn’t stopped him.

Damn, that's gotta be annoying! And it's not like you can tell him no and to stop asking whilst keeping up friendly exchanges hoping he doesn't screw up your post. Think it's obvious you just need to move house. :hilarious:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.