The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Random Chat, Thoughts, Posts, and/or Rants Thread

G

Guest-5ty5s4

Does anyone own any one these sports car ?
Supra
GT-R(skyline?)
AMG GTR
Mustang
Demon/charger/hellcat
Anyone on forum?
Lots of people, especially since you included mustangs and chargers lol those are common. I drove a mustang GT in high school but now I drive a truck

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Aditya Gunjal

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Jun 24, 2021
Maharashtra, India
Lots of people, especially since you included mustangs and chargers lol those are common. I drove a mustang GT in high school but now I drive a truck
Government already taxes 100% On imports and now following car culture has become more difficult due to this electronic shit

G

Guest-5ty5s4

Whaaat? In india these cars are rare like hell. How did you buy mustang in high school
Well it's not an import here. The mustang I drove was used, cost about 20k, average income in my town is 100k. I didn't buy it, I was a 16-year old kid. Family owns a business. But an average middle class family in my town could definitely buy a 20k car, especially when home prices back then for my area averaged less than 200k.

Perks of living outside of major cities, but close to jobs and major industrial areas. You know, the places liberals think are "flyover"

TLDR: high income, low cost of living, easy. Good place to live.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
As I've been saying for years, bias in news is a huge problem. Huge problems are huge opportunities.

Starting to see more offerings like these...

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
Greenland contains the world's largest and northernmost national park, Northeast Greenland National Park (Kalaallit Nunaanni nuna eqqissisimatitaq). Established in 1974 and expanded to its present size in 1988, it protects 972,001 km2 (375,292 sq mi) of the interior and northeastern coast of Greenland and is bigger than all but twenty-nine countries in the world.

The scale is mind-boggling. That national park is three times larger than the entire country where I live.

Greenland also has by far the highest suicide rate in the world. I imagine that living in such a remote and cold place with terrible weather year round has to be extremely difficult.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

The scale is mind-boggling. That national park is three times larger than the entire country where I live.

Greenland also has by far the highest suicide rate in the world. I imagine that living in such a remote and cold place with terrible weather year round has to be extremely difficult.
Interestingly, if you look at the ranks of suicide by state in the US, number 1 is Montana and number 50 (last) is New York.

It appears that the pattern (this is based on my intuition, reading the list, and what I know about all of the states) is that the more remote states have higher suicide rates, and more populous, crowded states have lower suicide rates.

This leads me to conclude people are depressed when they are isolated, and the cure to depression is to be around other human beings.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
Interestingly, if you look at the ranks of suicide by state in the US, number 1 is Montana and number 50 (last) is New York.

It appears that the pattern (this is based on my intuition, reading the list, and what I know about all of the states) is that the more remote states have higher suicide rates, and more populous, crowded states have lower suicide rates.

This leads me to conclude people are depressed when they are isolated, and the cure to depression is to be around other human beings.

Access to hospitals, clinics, and stuff may also influence this. This, plus the local culture (remote, in my uneducated view, usually also means that the topic of mental health doesn't exist so people can't tell anyone what bothers them because they won't be treated seriously).

G

Guest-5ty5s4

Access to hospitals, clinics, and stuff may also influence this. This, plus the local culture (remote, in my uneducated view, usually also means that the topic of mental health doesn't exist so people can't tell anyone what bothers them because they won't be treated seriously).
I don't know, all of those states have top-notch hospitals and plenty of mental health care options. But, people who live far from town might have to drive a long way to get there. So that could be it.

But the isolation factor is really my (non-proven) hunch as to the disparity in suicide.

People need to be connected to other people...

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
But the isolation factor is really my (non-proven) hunch as to the disparity in suicide.

There's probably no data on that but I'm curious about the suicide rates in indigenous and left alone tribes in tropical areas like Papua New Guinea or the Amazon. I have a feeling it has to be not only isolated but also needs to have terrible weather.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Brooks make good shoes.

Had a pair of Brooks Beast 20 that lasted me over a year and I was putting in a lot of walking miles.

Currently have a pair of Brooks Adrenaline GTS 22 on which I’ve been using for long walks and running on treadmill and they are good, comfortable and durable.

Before this I had a pair of New Balance (that were roughly the same price) and they lasted less than a month.

Edit: Didn’t mean to quote you Antifragile

I hate my brooks. They feel more like floppy socks than shoes. They’re also ugly.

My cheap a$$ Costco Adidas have been better shoes. I’d wear them, but they’re my beater pair now.

I ordered a pair of Solomon trail running shoes with hopes that they’ll have some more structure than stupid brooks because of the “trail” part.

My distance running brother said Hoka and Altra are also worth a look, but he also likes his brooks.

Mathuin

Provide Relative-Value or Die Trying
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
360%
Dec 20, 2020
Belfast, Northern Ireland
I hate my brooks. They feel more like floppy socks than shoes. They’re also ugly.

My cheap a$$ Costco Adidas have been better shoes. I’d wear them, but they’re my beater pair now.

I ordered a pair of Solomon trail running shoes with hopes that they’ll have some more structure than stupid brooks because of the “trail” part.

My distance running brother said Hoka and Altra are also worth a look, but he also likes his brooks.
Interesting, I don’t know much about the subject. I hadn’t even heard of those 2 brands.

My experience with Brooks has been good so far. Might have to check out one of those 2 brands next

Trevor Kuntz

Professional Dog Owner
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
274%
Feb 5, 2012
Arizona

Can any of you recommend durable athletic shoes?

Something between running shoes and hiking shoes. Something that you can move quickly in, but will last a while.
For 10 years, my biggest customer has been SOCOM and a couple years ago, I was chatting with the logistics NCO for the west coast teams and he mentioned that their most requested shoe purchases are the Vasque Juxt Multi-Sport Shoe and Vasque Juxt Waterproof Light Hiker.

I haven't bought any myself since I have Lowa GTXs, but I felt that was a pretty good recommendation since they generally only order high/highest quality kits and budget is rarely a factor.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas

MoneyDoc

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Jun 24, 2014
I'm back!

Been away from the forum for literally 2 months now (I think). Needed a mental break. Still not 100%, but I don't think there's any point in not conversing with people. You guys are the only ones that resonate so much with me, so I think I'll be doing myself a favour by being active again.

Let me start with a mini rant (@Antifragile - you're on the vendor side, so maybe you can chime in through a "human" lens rather than a developer lens).

Remember that pre-construction unit I bought WAY back in 2019? It was on my e-commerce progress thread when my business was just off the ground. Tied myself up to a pre-construction unit in literally the best place in Toronto (Hospital Row/Financial District/Law). Anyway, last deposit was due last week. So now I have $250k CAD tied up which is good IMO as if I didn't get the unit back then, I'm sure the money would've been spent elsewhere. So I got a delay notice email recently because we had the union strikes in Ontario and COVID is still causing supply delays (tiles, cabinets, etc). The building was originally supposed to complete in 2025 (which is already 6 years from 2019...) but is likely going to get delayed by another 1-2 years. Now, could I use the $250k now and make 5x that in the next 4-5 years? Hell yeah I can... opportunity cost is very high right now and I kinda regret being "stuck".

Long story short, I personally emailed the developer CEO/Owner. They are a generational development family that literally owns every valuable piece of land in Toronto. Now here's the "ask". Keep in mind, I know damn well my wants mean nothing to them nor should they mean anything to them. I'm just kinda ranting because from a humanity standpoint, this is something I PERSONALLY would've done if I was in their position and a young entrepreneur reached out to me the way I did to them. So I proposed a structure for them in which they would take my unit back, I would sacrifice a full deposit to them ($60k CAD) for their lost time and the hassle of reselling the unit. Now my specific unit is sold out, and the last asking price was $350k over what I purchased the unit for. My unit also has a 2 year guaranteed lease back ($5k/month for 2 years if I don't live there), so if they did accept my structure, they could've resold the unit higher, received $60k CAD for their time, and they could've removed the guaranteed lease back for the new buyer. So I didn't get a reply from the person I emailed. I got a general email back from the sales team that my request was denied and to make sure I comply with the purchase agreement. Now I didn't really expect much, but I did get pissed off a little bit because not only is it rude to completely ignore someone that emails you, addresses you properly, but forwarding the email to sales and having them reach out is just low class IMO. 1 year ago, I sent a high profile developer, in a building 10x as more prestigious than the one I bought originally (www.onebloorwest.com), a direct email asking if he'll accept my deal structure so I can purchase a unit paying the deposits monthly. The owner (whom I emailed) replied back to me at 10pm on a Saturday night and told me "I would be HAPPY to help you and congratulations on your success and I wish for your business to grow even more". This is what you call being "human" regardless of who you are. It doesn't matter if he was willing to help because I was looking to buy, no high profile building has EVER done monthly deposit instalments. So really, this is the same extent as to my "take back" request for the unit I have in the other building.

Sorry for the rant guys. Needed to get that off my chest as sometimes we forget, we all end up in the grave irregardless if you're a 4th generation $350m+ worth developer (whom by the way, was a product of their great great grandfather) or a solo young first generation entrepreneur learning as you run down your path that is constantly evolving.

Last edited:

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
This is really cool, but it also makes me feel incredibly sad.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
458%
Mar 15, 2018
I'm back!

Been away from the forum for literally 2 months now (I think). Needed a mental break. Still not 100%, but I don't think there's any point in not conversing with people. You guys are the only ones that resonate so much with me, so I think I'll be doing myself a favour by being active again.

Let me start with a mini rant (@Antifragile - you're on the vendor side, so maybe you can chime in through a "human" lens rather than a developer lens).

Remember that pre-construction unit I bought WAY back in 2019? It was on my e-commerce progress thread when my business was just off the ground. Tied myself up to a pre-construction unit in literally the best place in Toronto (Hospital Row/Financial District/Law). Anyway, last deposit was due last week. So now I have $250k CAD tied up which is good IMO as if I didn't get the unit back then, I'm sure the money would've been spent elsewhere. So I got a delay notice email recently because we had the union strikes in Ontario and COVID is still causing supply delays (tiles, cabinets, etc). The building was originally supposed to complete in 2025 (which is already 6 years from 2019...) but is likely going to get delayed by another 1-2 years. Now, could I use the $250k now and make 5x that in the next 4-5 years? Hell yeah I can... opportunity cost is very high right now and I kinda regret being "stuck".

Long story short, I personally emailed the developer CEO/Owner. They are a generational development family that literally owns every valuable piece of land in Toronto. Now here's the "ask". Keep in mind, I know damn well my wants mean nothing to them nor should they mean anything to them. I'm just kinda ranting because from a humanity standpoint, this is something I PERSONALLY would've done if I was in their position and a young entrepreneur reached out to me the way I did to them. So I proposed a structure for them in which they would take my unit back, I would sacrifice a full deposit to them ($60k CAD) for their lost time and the hassle of reselling the unit. Now my specific unit is sold out, and the last asking price was $350k over what I purchased the unit for. My unit also has a 2 year guaranteed lease back ($5k/month for 2 years if I don't live there), so if they did accept my structure, they could've resold the unit higher, received $60k CAD for their time, and they could've removed the guaranteed lease back for the new buyer. So I didn't get a reply from the person I emailed. I got a general email back from the sales team that my request was denied and to make sure I comply with the purchase agreement. Now I didn't really expect much, but I did get pissed off a little bit because not only is it rude to completely ignore someone that emails you, addresses you properly, but forwarding the email to sales and having them reach out is just low class IMO. 1 year ago, I sent a high profile developer, in a building 10x as more prestigious than the one I bought originally (www.onebloorwest.com), a direct email asking if he'll accept my deal structure so I can purchase a unit paying the deposits monthly. The owner (whom I emailed) replied back to me at 10pm on a Saturday night and told me "I would be HAPPY to help you and congratulations on your success and I wish for your business to grow even more". This is what you call being "human" regardless of who you are. It doesn't matter if he was willing to help because I was looking to buy, no high profile building has EVER done monthly deposit instalments. So really, this is the same extent as to my "take back" request for the unit I have in the other building.

Sorry for the rant guys. Needed to get that off my chest as sometimes we forget, we all end up in the grave irregardless if you're a 4th generation $350m+ worth developer (whom by the way, was a product of their great great grandfather) or a solo young first generation entrepreneur learning as you run down your path that is constantly evolving.
Hey brother. Welcome back!

There is blood in the streets, and if they couldn’t deliver on the original timeframe and need more time… now we face inflation, interest rate hikes, still supply chain issues exist, lack of labour, conflict around the world - you name it. Expect blood in the streets.

My read is that your unit (like others) are key to developer financing! If so, they can’t just let you off and look for another buyer in this market.

Can they tell you the truth? Probably not. That’s because they wouldn’t want to be a headline on the latest article in Toronto Star lol.

I’m speculating… I don’t know, so take it for what it is.

And it can get worse! They may cancel the project and return all deposits. Or ask to revise prices up to compensate for inflation … Yup, that’s possible too.

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA
View attachment 44094
Of course, it's all standard issue

Well since we're talking about Russia:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paG1-lPtIXA

I'm back!

That sucks buddy - they sound like assholes.

This is how I picture the guy in charge:

iu

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Kinda cool when these unwitting folks who appear in memes are able to monetize it.

Hide the Pain Harold, one of my favorites, is actually quite happy.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I'm back!

Great to see ya again!

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Funny, I read the Clif founder's biography many years ago. I remember him being adamant about not selling the company to maintain culture and product. Guess things changed, although nowadays, a seller can contractualize how a company is maintained post-purchase.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
458%
Mar 15, 2018