The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Random Chat, Thoughts, Posts, and/or Rants Thread

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Some app builder needs to reach out to Lew Rockwell and Zero Hedge and offer to build them an app for 10% of the ad revenue.

And then give me 1%. :rofl:

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
Political risk is the only risk here in my opinion. I fully understand the entire reason for the stock diving is because of their government. This “crackdown” crap will eventually cool off for the Chinese government’s own good.

I love how CNBC calls it “crackdown” as if these companies were actually doing something wrong. The reality is the government just targeted what they believed to be a challenge to their authority.

When you discuss blockbuster or Kodak, those were victims of creative destruction, not government.

Is it an asymmetric bet, though? The stock is merely at 50% of its all time high so it's unlikely to grow more than that while the risk of falling further or going to zero due to the unpredictable government is substantial.

For me personally, an asymmetric bet is closer to, for example, invest $10,000 and either lose it all or make $100,000 (or in other words, at least 10x).

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Is it an asymmetric bet, though? The stock is merely at 50% of its all time high so it's unlikely to grow more than that while the risk of falling further or going to zero due to the unpredictable government is substantial.

For me personally, an asymmetric bet is closer to, for example, invest $10,000 and either lose it all or make $100,000 (or in other words, at least 10x).
Options make that bet asymmetric. Buying calls or look up a leaps strategy.

I’ll probably do a little of this.

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
Anybody (besides Kak) wanna share some random stocks they think are good? I almost made 4k on one last year that somebody mentioned here.. I forget which thread.

Mathuin

Provide Relative-Value or Die Trying
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
360%
Dec 20, 2020
Belfast, Northern Ireland

becks22

90% coffee, 10% everything else
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
271%
Jul 6, 2016
Upstate NY
Anybody (besides Kak) wanna share some random stocks they think are good? I almost made 4k on one last year that somebody mentioned here.. I forget which thread.

Have not done anything yet but been following airlines closely.... and yes I think a stocks thread would be super fun to have!

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA
rules exist to punish boring people

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA
Facebook would be more fun if people couldn't get banned from it or fired from their jobs for anything that they post on it.

Those 2 things alone would lead inevitably to countless physical fights, which would provide opportunities to start gambling companies using Facebook live.

That world would be far more interesting than the one that we're currently living in.

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA
If you paid a business coach a few hundred dollars a month just to call you out on your bullshit and tell you to do the stuff that you already knew that you had to do while doing literally nothing else, then that would probably be some of the best money that you'd spend all year (assuming that actually pushes you to follow through).

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
458%
Mar 15, 2018
If you paid a business coach a few hundred dollars a month just to call you out on your bullshit and tell you to do the stuff that you already knew that you had to do while doing literally nothing else, then that would probably be some of the best money that you'd spend all year (assuming that actually pushes you to follow through).

I wonder the same thing. Should I get a coach?

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA
I wonder the same thing. Should I get a coach?

If you have clear goals, have the money, and you can find one who you trust, then yeah. Though, there are a lot of bad coaches out there, so be careful.

Disclaimer: I don't have a coach - I just have enough experience with human psychology to know that people sometimes won't do what they know they have to until they hear it from someone else.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
458%
Mar 15, 2018
I’m good with all except for the trust part… I have a very hard time with that.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
rules exist to punish boring people
Care to elaborate on that one?

I could argue the exact opposite. There is no point to rules if the right people don’t break them. There is a lobotomization of people going on… A massive initiative devoted to keeping people “normal” and “boring.”

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA
Care to elaborate on that one?

I could argue the exact opposite. There is no point to rules if the right people don’t break them. There is a lobotomization of people going on… A massive initiative devoted to keeping people “normal” and “boring.”

I'm being facetious in my phrasing, but what I'm getting at is that you can get around any rule with enough creativity. And beyond that, what I'm doing is attacking the moral foundations (or lack thereof) of many laws in this country.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
458%
Mar 15, 2018
Victor Frankl
Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way.

Anyone else inspired by his story?

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
Alibaba probably. It has been so beaten up it reminds me of Boeing when their planes were falling out of the sky.

Yet, alibaba is still a highly profitable company right now.

Of course there is a great deal of political risk so don’t yolo, even if the numbers make you want to.

Buy High-Sell Low Cathie Wood keeps screwing this one up, which means it’s probably good to go.
An interesting article on China stocks:

TLDR:
1. China’s regulations are not a key focus of the 5-Year Plan (they have been doing the Plans since 1953, so its not a totally new thing that specifically targets the private sector)

2. Western media only zoomed in on the few points in the document on Xi Jinping's toughening on law enforcement (authoritarian stance)...forgetting other pointers on improving administration, public inquiry, tech platforms and so on. Biased as always- similar to when the news reported poor house sales or lower retail sales were SHTF, when it actually wasn't. Listening to the stupid news for the latter would have made paper-hands sell perfectly good blue chips.

3. Data from the International Monetary Fund forecasts China's GDP to grow by 5.7% in 2022, compared to 4.9% in the US and 4.3% in the Euro Area. (I know of allegations that china fakes economic data...but I feel these figures aren't too out of whack). China has more room to grow.

4. China has been trying to keep its market from blowing up GameStop-style...keeping liquidity closer in rein. However, they are looking to cut the required reserve ratio to loosen things up in the wake of the COVID variants

Sometimes I wonder if all this boo-hoo and Xi's movements is a thinly veiled financial warfare of China vs Western investors though...that's the conspiracy side on my mind.

Madame Peccato

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Jul 14, 2018
Morbegno, Italy

MA81

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Jan 22, 2013

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Victor Frankl
Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way.

Anyone else inspired by his story?
I still need to read AMSFM. I have seen these quotes that I love from him but have never read it.

This one is fantastic.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
458%
Mar 15, 2018
I still need to read AMSFM. I have seen these quotes that I love from him but have never read it.

This one is fantastic.
One of my top 10 all time favourite books. It’s short, don’t wait - go get it and read it.

And everyone who’s struggling with lock downs during this pandemic, it’s good to have a reference point. Context matters. Great book for everyone actually.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

Sometimes I wonder if all this boo-hoo and Xi's movements is a thinly veiled financial warfare of China vs Western investors though...that's the conspiracy side on my mind.
I'd say we're past the thinly veiled point on that one...it's just obvious now.

We'll see who gets all the lithium mines in Afghanistan now that the West is out...

Anyone asking "Is China seeking domination?" Is many years tardy to the party! Haha

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA
You can get great advice from F*ckups*.

I'll wager that the people who are most at peace with life experienced a lot of pain and learned to deal with it.

Tim Grover, Michael Jordan's strength coach (and author of Relentless, a F*cking great book), said that he's good at his job because he had to deal with so many injuries in his short athletic career.

*Not all F*ckups - some people are permanent losers (by their own choices) and you should ignore everything that they say. I'm talking about people who went through serious lows in their lives and clawed their way to normalcy or success.

Mathuin

Provide Relative-Value or Die Trying
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
360%
Dec 20, 2020
Belfast, Northern Ireland

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA
Listening to this atm on the recommendation of a number of Money Twitter dudes.

I listened to it for the first time 4+ years ago. It is a great book and it is worth reading again and again for the rest of your life.

It really covers the fundamentals on the mindset of elite performance in any walk of life.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
458%
Mar 15, 2018
AGT - $1m prize and a spot in Vegas to perform.

But the devil is in the details:
$1m is paid over 40 years LOL
Vegas show is with other AGT winners.

results? You win and yet you are still a rat in a race.

Simon Cowell is probably making $10m cash from the show while asking each poor chump contestant “what does this opportunity meant to you?” Mockery.

Devampre

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jan 6, 2016
Canada
AGT - $1m prize and a spot in Vegas to perform.

But the devil is in the details:
$1m is paid over 40 years LOL
Vegas show is with other AGT winners.

results? You win and yet you are still a rat in a race.

Simon Cowell is probably making $10m cash from the show while asking each poor chump contestant “what does this opportunity meant to you?” Mockery.
Wait so they win $25k a year with the condition they must also commit to participating in a show in Vegas?

If that is the case, I wonder how frequent they have to perform that show?

Seems like winning could be a nightmare if I understand that correctly.

Madame Peccato

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Jul 14, 2018
Morbegno, Italy
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what's for lunch."

Please SEARCH before posting.