The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Raising $100,000 for charity through a virtual summit on Sales & Marketing

Marketing, social media, advertising

happiness2go

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
109%
Jul 21, 2018
Germany
I think an affiliate system could work well for this kind of product in case you haven't given it a try yet. Could be done similarly like the people over at focus@will (my favorite product in your space so far).

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Martin Boeddeker

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Jun 5, 2018
Paderborn, Deutschland
I think an affiliate system could work well for this kind of product in case you haven't given it a try yet. Could be done similarly like the people over at focus@will (my favorite product in your space so far).

Yes definitely. I'm currently focusing on streamlining the process.

Besides that the last few weeks have been full of life changing events.

I got married about one week ago! :smile:

And my place is still a bit of a mess after my wife and the 2 kids moved in about 3 weeks ago. So my productivity was not THAT great.

But at least I stayed pretty consistent.

I launched my podcast and doing weekly interviews.

I posted all episodes on my blog and published more articles besides that.

Avoid Distractions And Break Bad Online Habits Without Limiting Your Flexibility

However, I'm glad when the summer holidays are over and the kids go back to school during the day, which will hopefully allow for a more steady content production and outreach process.

I will probably drive a two way strategy:

In terms of selling I will present the software as a time saving tool for marketers and the podcast will be the umbrella brand for my philosophy.

I noticed that without this differentiation, I always confuse and mixup the ROI-driven sales message, with my higher values of "saving people from online addiction."

I like to have and work on both.

This way my podcast can offer much more value and reach a broader audience while using my ads and promote the software as a specific solution for specific problems like I did on this post about blocking Facebook while still being able to run Facebook ads

How To Block Facebook And Still Use The Business Manager

S.Y.

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
266%
Oct 4, 2017
Canada
Congratulation on the wedding!

Short update:
Since I don't like to get into paid advertising at the moment I need to build relationships with people who already have access to my target audience.

The long-term goal is to have joint-venture webinars but for now, I'm okay just to interview interesting people about the topics of deepwork, building habits, and entrepreneurship.

Look at the most popular and data-rich articles of those influencers that are in line what you are doing, create an infographic and share it. Make sure to include the original source.

Do it for free for a while.
1. It is a relatively cheap way to get content up
2. By pulling popular articles you have cheap marketing
3. It is a great way of giving to them. When it will be time to ask, this will come in handy.

Martin Boeddeker

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Jun 5, 2018
Paderborn, Deutschland
Finally back to work again.

I can only recommend to anyone to start a podcast. Not so much for getting publicity (yet) but it's an awesome way to build relationships and have a reason to talk to experts.

So many gold nuggets...

The best nugget I want to share with you is this One Minute Willpower - Breathing exercise.

Pic a gif that you like and breath along with it for one minute (or longer)...

10 Awesome GIFs for Calm Breathing

It will increase your heart rate variability and has so many positive effects on health.

I will probably add a gif like that to the page my website blocker redirects to if you visit a blocked site.

Really looking forward to my next interview with Jason Brown tomorrow.

LittleWolfie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Jun 28, 2018
Holbeach Hurn
You could use automated software to generate the transcript but then a human would be needed to edit it and turn it into a proper, easily readable blog post.

I agree, however you will get better results using automated software to accelerate and improve the human transcription.

Like how an automatic transmission does the computer friendly part, and leave the unfriendly part to a human. Your approach is like automating the steering and leaving the human to regulate the rpms of the engine directly without a clutch...

Nigel B

Life Long Learner
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Sep 18, 2017
USA
Great thread, solid commitment to progress while making huge changes (getting married and bringing kids into your world) - very motivational. Good luck with continued progress. Commenting to stay informed.

Martin Boeddeker

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Jun 5, 2018
Paderborn, Deutschland
I just published my next SEO-focused article... The Ultimate Guide To Block Websites On Google Chrome (And Other Browsers)

The Ultimate Guide To Block Websites On Google Chrome (And Other Browsers)What's the best method to block certain websites for free? Read this ultimate guide and discover how to block any website on all devices...

Besides that I decided to split my week into "Theme Days" (inspired by Jason Brown's podcast).

Currently, it's hard for me to decide which area is the most important one. I

I think I need to make constant progress in all of them (at least to some degree).

In the past this would lead to constant overwhelm and inaction... (Especially after getting an overload of new ideas like with this 30day thing. Which is great but again overload...)

Using A Theme for each day means, I have a clear focus on one thing (more or less) every day (and know I'll make progress in all areas).

Monday: SEO + Blog Posts
Tuesday: Autoresponder, Funnels & Sales
Wednesday: Podcast Production
Thursday: Creating Videos & Membership Content
Friday: Affiliates & PPC
Saturday: Creating SOP's
Sunday: Plan & Review

MitchM

Act. Then Adapt.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
229%
Nov 15, 2016
Atlanta, GA
I think that focusing on one thing each day is great. I’ve also been getting overwhelmed lately...

I was actually looking through the different 30 days and thought that John Lee’s model of a free course could be great for you.

Teach affiliate marketing for free in a funnel with your own software being a new opportunity for them.

Just an idea but I actually think it could work really well.

I just published my next SEO-focused article... The Ultimate Guide To Block Websites On Google Chrome (And Other Browsers)

The Ultimate Guide To Block Websites On Google Chrome (And Other Browsers)What's the best method to block certain websites for free? Read this ultimate guide and discover how to block any website on all devices...

Besides that I decided to split my week into "Theme Days" (inspired by Jason Brown's podcast).

Currently, it's hard for me to decide which area is the most important one. I

I think I need to make constant progress in all of them (at least to some degree).

In the past this would lead to constant overwhelm and inaction... (Especially after getting an overload of new ideas like with this 30day thing. Which is great but again overload...)

Using A Theme for each day means, I have a clear focus on one thing (more or less) every day (and know I'll make progress in all areas).

Monday: SEO + Blog Posts
Tuesday: Autoresponder, Funnels & Sales
Wednesday: Podcast Production
Thursday: Creating Videos & Membership Content
Friday: Affiliates & PPC
Saturday: Creating SOP's
Sunday: Plan & Review
lik

Martin Boeddeker

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Jun 5, 2018
Paderborn, Deutschland
To keep myself from overwhelm I will continue my current strategy for now.

Putting out those interviews (and taking the time to transcribe them and turn it into these blog posts) is something I really like doing.

I feel I'm learning so much from people that are more successful than I am.

Of course SEO is a long shot, but I decided to master this strategy first.

No need to change it and get distracted by other shiny objects...

rogue synthetic

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
310%
Aug 2, 2017
This may be totally off your radar, but I'd love it if one of these self-disciplining web-firewalls would work natively with Linux.

The only options I've been able to find involve setting up squid proxies or futzing around with iptables, and that ends up being a bigger distraction than the original problem.

Plus none of them have any easy way to set up simple whitelisting. I stream a lot of music through the desktop during the day, and it would be great if I could rig up something that says "block everything except Soundcloud and Bandcamp" or something like that.

rogue synthetic

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
310%
Aug 2, 2017
Right, I'm thinking of a simple whitelisting feature...block everything except whatever domains/URLs are in whitelist.txt (or whatever)

It would be amazing if I could block everything except for some music streaming services and a handful cloud apps that are actually useful for working.

Martin Boeddeker

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Jun 5, 2018
Paderborn, Deutschland
@rogue synthetic While doing research I found something that might do what you were looking for:

Frequently Asked Questions | Pluckeye

This programs shows exactly why nobody in my industry is making any money. He let's people choose what's the right price for his program and even offers it for free.

However, what I've learned with FindFocus (and what every successful marketer will tell you): It does not matter what people say. If you are running a company you need to look what people buy. (And how they make their buying decision).

What happened in the meantime:

I've completed a new 7-part onboarding sequence to build a relationship with the people who want to try FindFocus. For this I re-framed my email as valuable reminders (instead of a newsletter and sales messages).

The goal is to sell them on the right beliefs first. (They can even choose the frequency of these emails and it's 100% value based). I could not do it any other way because I believe that you intentions will eventually shine through.

Besides that I'm 70% done with my first book. I'm currently at 32k words.

It's based on Leo Babauta's book "Focus" but includes my own stories, examples, and other cool stuff I learned from People like Brendon Burchard and Eben Pagan and Stephan Hilgard.

I think once it's ready it will be an awesome book because I've taken something that was already very good and made it better.

First I just wanted to change small parts of the book and be done with it fast but in the process I've updated almost every chapter.

I think doing it any other way would have been against the very spirit and philosophy of the book and Leo's original message.

Once it's finished it will be something can be proud of (and use as a marketing tool for FindFocus).

Martin Boeddeker

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Jun 5, 2018
Paderborn, Deutschland
It's time for an update.

I've been taking the time around Christmas and New Years to think about how to proceed. Especially around my habits and goals.

I've cut back on Social Media and Internet and email almost 95% during this time, only watching one of Sam Oven's videos once a while.

In general, I noticed that I did not take my whole entrepreneurship journey serious enough. Part of the reason was because I was already pretty happy and never motivated by money. I just need very little. But being married changed this. I now have to take responsibility for my wife and the kids.

Inspired by Sam Ovens, Alex Becker, and Brendon Burchard I decided to make 2019 the year to get into the best shape of my life and really cut out distractions and focus.

So I'm taking care of my diet, exercise, sleep, and meditation and my environment (basically my house) first.

Due to monetary constraints (and fear), I decided to focus most of my efforts in 2019 building relationships with my podcast and writing SEO based articles (and doing the necessary link building).

My work habits should reflect the philosophy of "Deep Work" that I am promoting.

I know I can get people results.

For example:

Just before Christmas, I got this email :

Hey Martin, I was chatting with my girlfriend and I just really feel like you gave me my life back. Kateryna (my lady) said, “God bless him.” Even though we’re both atheists, I think you appreciate the sentiment.

Seriously man thank you. Find Focus is absolutely incredible and the amount of self monitoring and tweaking it allows me is amazing.

For example, the custom text on my pause button was too easy. I thought the motivational text would help but it didn’t. I got too fast at typing it in. But the random text is genius. I upped the number to 40 and I’ve been playing with that for today.

Man you’ve created an absolutely incredible tool. I really hope the business does well for you, you deserve it.

What’s amazing to me is that I can finally feel like I can relax when I work, and just get shit done.

Hope this finds you well man.

Getting emails like this is why I cannot play it small (like I sometimes would like to).

Therefore I selected a new role model.

You probably don't know this but my hometown Paderborn was the where Heinz Nixdorf, a German computing pioneer, businessman and founder of Nixdorf Computer AG was born.

Unfortunately, the Nixdorf Computer AG faced a similar fate as Nokia but it used to be one of the biggest computer companies in the world. In 1985 the sales of Nixdorf AG were 4 billion D-Mark, with an after-taxes profit of 172 million. At this time, the company had 23,000 employees in 44 countries. At its peak, one year after Heinz Nixdorf died the turnover was 5 billion D-Mark and the company had 30,000 employees. But the company couldn't follow the change of the computers and missed important products like the personal computer. Because of the loss of money the chairpersons were compelled to sell the company.

If somebody else was able to build a company like this from scratch, why not me building a new Nixdorf?

It's has been done before just a few kilometers away.

So the last few days I started with my diet and decided to follow the 4hourbody slow-carb diet from Tim Ferriss. Reading the 4 hour-body I realized there a lot of similarities between the food industry and the technology industry.

Most people don't care about their food and what it's doing to their body and health.

The same applies to the internet. Nobody really cares what it does to our brains and productivity.

I had to learn this the hard way. I could not even convince my wife to change your diet or her online habits. This will apply to 98% of the population.

But there are a few people that care and they are getting more. Especially online entrepreneurs and people with ADHD.

TLDR:

2019 is all about getting in shape, building relationships, and SEO.

• My first goal is to get loose 10kg and 5% body fat until the end of March.
  • At the end of the year, I want to have a six pack (which will equal about 12% body fat or less) for the first time ever and be able to run 3km in 12:59min or less.

I've started to track my weight and waiting to get my oura ring to improve my tracking. At some point last year I totally lost control of my weight. This resulted in an extra 10kg in the last year alone.

Because doing SEO is time and labor intensive I have no realistic goals for this yet.

On an ongoing basis:

I'll aim for
  • 1 podcast episode +
  • 1 Youtube video (turned into blog post per week)
Besides that,
  • I will launch my book in 2019 (the first draft is ready)
  • Plus I'll create one online course on email management and one on productivity in general. (Still have to find the right hook).
If I still have time and money, I'll start Google Ads with the revenue I'll generate to speed up the process.

For now, the main goal is to really track how much time I need to push out the content and build a reliable system with checklists to outsource some tasks in the near future.

rogue synthetic

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
310%
Aug 2, 2017
I have been reading Nassim Nicolas Taleb’s book skin in the game and the book “throwing rock at the Google bus” by Douglas Rushkoff.

Both book speak about the advantages of staying local in a way.

Especially Mr. Taleb made me realize that ethics (something I really care about) is a fundamentally local thing and that’s impossible to treat everybody equally.

That really ties along with my knowledge about the 80-20 principle.

Hey @Martin Boeddeker , thanks for sharing this.

Just some thoughts on what you've said here.

I agree with the sentiment you're getting at. Taleb was (somewhat indirectly) a formative influence on how I think about most everything. I think he's right about a good many things, and this is one of them.

Things go better, for the most part and in most domains, when we generally favor local and organic over abstract and artificial.

But, that said.

I think you need to ask yourself some hard questions about what you're trying to achieve, and why that achievement matters to you.

It sounds like you're feeling pretty anxious about Big Questions. Geopolitical stuff. Whether or not the right politician gets elected (this never happens). Etc.

Nothing wrong with that.

But maybe it's worth asking yourself why it matters to the business you're doing and the people you're trying to serve.

What are you trying to achieve?

Who are you trying to help?

If going local makes sense to you, with your answers to those questions, then knock it out! Nothing wrong with making the business sync up with your ethical viewpoint if you can make it work.

But if you can better reach people, and help them in the way you're trying to help them, by using the internet, I don't think there's a strong ethical case against that, either.

If you haven't followed Seth Godin, you might want to have a look at his books Tribes and This is Marketing to see how a Taleb-like approach can be consistent with business in the online world.

Seth is big on finding "your people" by connecting one relationship at a time. Connecting doesn't have to be (but could be) local. It's about finding the people who want to hear what you have to say, and building from there.

Really, there's no reason you couldn't pursue both. If it makes sense to grow locally, then do it. If it makes sense to find your people online, in different geographical markets, then do that, too.

Good luck!

rogue synthetic

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
310%
Aug 2, 2017
Oh, I didn’t know that. I think that’s what I do naturally, and why Mother Theresa’s quote in my signature resonates so much.

In which of his books does he discuss that?

Oh, sorry @Andy Black, just now saw this.

@timrettig got it with Tribes.

This is Marketing
came out about 6 months ago. It picks up that thread for the freelancer and entrepreneur sets.

A lot of Seth Godin's advice reminds me a lot of how you talk about (not) selling/marketing. I'm kinda surprised you haven't come across him before.

Martin Boeddeker

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Jun 5, 2018
Paderborn, Deutschland
The summit is taking shape.

I've got some really huge speakers already confirmed to do an interview with me and I've got the full support of Kartra affiliate manager.

The people I'm speaking to are helpful beyond my believe.

Together my confirmed speaker net more than 1 million email subscribers.

I'm doing the hour of power from Tony Robbins again and a few other things I learned in @Kung Fu Steve's training.

My mindset has completely changed and probably the comments in this thread have moved the needle to just moving forward and try to get the flywheel moving (thanks @eliquid for that metaphor and the tip to start my marketing efforts within my peer group).

If you have not listened I highly recommend my podcast with Jason: So many gold nuggets SERPWoo Founder Jason Brown Reveals: How To Make 7 Figures in 6 Months Starting From Scratch (+His Best Advise for SEO)

Right now I'm just trying to keep the momentum going and not screwing this up.

If I can only implement 10% of the ideas that I have with this event, it's gonna be epic.

Martin Boeddeker

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Jun 5, 2018
Paderborn, Deutschland
It still feels unreal to see the sudden sales of GrooveFunnels sales and commissions in my dashboard every day.

I don't know my exact number but it's $25k in confirmed commission that I will receive in the next 8 weeks and probably already over $50k expected commissions in the next year.

I'm still ranking top for most of their keywords and the software is growing like crazy.

Yesterday I had a pretty revealing experience.

A marketer reached out to me and ask I've I would promote their SEO course/webinar.

This was promoted in an "expert talk" and conversions must be crazy.

He gave me access to the course and what I found was quite underwhelming.

The course only covered the absolute most basic things of SEO probably not even 10% of the stuff I've learned from other courses covering SEO and I highly doubt many people will see results from this.

The only positive thing I could say about this course that it would not overwhelm an absolute beginner.

Just the overhyped stuff you see a lot in this space.

Martin Boeddeker

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Jun 5, 2018
Paderborn, Deutschland
Although I'm pretty much solved my financial situation, I'm going through one of the toughest times of my life.

It's super hard for me to concentrate and get things done.

I thought building an online business was hard.

However, it's 10x harder to build a business when you have a family.

The corvid-19 crisis made things much worse for me.

Having the kids at home 24/7 is a nightmare to an introvert like me who gets distracted easily and needs a lot of alone time.

This is basically impossible for me right now.

After I moved to my wife's place we are living in a house that's under construction and much smaller than the farm where I lived most of my life.

Unfortunately, there is no simple solution.

It's just something I have to deal with.

What has this to do with you?

I don't know about your situation.

Chances are you are facing a different challenge.

It might be MUCH WORSE than mine.

For me, it's one of the toughest situations I've ever faced because I do not only have to take care of myself.

So how can you deal with tough situations and the challenges that life throughs at us?

I try to put things into perspective.

I'm not living in the middle of a warzone like Khaled, a friend of mine.

He fled from Syria, had to abandon his wife, and told me stories of his relatives' deaths in the civil war.

I remind myself that I'm incredibly fortunate.

There are hundreds and thousands of things I can be grateful for.

What can you be grateful for right now?

Even if it's about the absence of things like a war.

Here is another thing to keep in mind if you are facing a tough situation.

It's more important than ever to focus on the fundamentals.

Your brain is not in the position to make good choices when you are stressed.

Keep it simple and avoid the things that are bad for you.

It's much easier to know what's bad for us than what's good for us.

For me, that means, I'm taking care of my health first and foremost.

I try to avoid sugar & alcohol, get enough sleep, stay away from social media as much as possible, meditate, and even started to work out again.

On top of this, I write daily emails to my list.

Nothing fancy.

I just try to avoid the bad stuff and do some simple things that I know are good for me.

Martin Boeddeker

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Jun 5, 2018
Paderborn, Deutschland
Howdy,

I am in the same place as you are and I also have not had a "real f*ck This event in my life." situation. I have been reading from some other threads about motivation vs mindset and the conclusion is that mindset is necessary.

However, without a "real f*ck This event" it is hard to find something to switch my mindset. I have temporary motivations but have not found something to kick my mindset into gear and am still figuring that out for myself.

I would say you are definitely on the right path with your mindset of just providing value. It all starts with that.

Funny thing ... earlier today I was on reddit and found your post of the same content on r/Entrepreneur. Good work. I found your writing engaging and well thought out.

Good luck on growing the business and I look forward to hearing updates.

P.S. If you want to get some keywords checked on Ahrefs (SEO Tool ). DM and I should be able to help you out.

Thanks. Yes, it's more difficult for sure.

I view myself more as a philosopher than an entrepreneur. So I'm reading a lot and have a lot of insights.

However, philosophy has only meaning in action.

That's why I'm here. That's why I'm building my company.

Philosophy only makes sense if you "have skin in the game"

Yes, I posted it to Reddit and quora, where it already got 1,4k views and I will probably publish on medium. I still have to create an account there.

Yesterday I read a large chunk of Unscripted .

What I really like about this forum and MJ's work is his integrity without using any bullshit.

Without a need to monetize it beyond this forum.

That's so rare in the world of "making money (online)"

He could have probably made a lot more money but the quality of the forum and its members would not be the same.

(Btw. this has happened to the poker forum I was part of when the market grew exponentially between 2007-2012). The same happens if Facebook groups get too big.

Thanks for your offer with hrefs. I have Serpstat but only the limited plan with 100 keywords. For keyword research that's enough to get started because you can sort and filter and basically get all the date you need. It's only limiting when it comes to backlink research. But building backlinks is something I will tackle later.

First things first, second not at all.

Martin Boeddeker

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Jun 5, 2018
Paderborn, Deutschland
I just started advertising on Facebook for the 1st time in my life.

I feel spending money sharpens my focus a lot, even if it's just a few bucks for now.

I also simplified my landing page a lot and will focus to position my tool as the ultimate solution to build "Deep Work Habits" (which it is) and create content around this topic.

The blog post I worked on happened to become about 7000 words long. Next, I will have to publish it on my website and create some graphics along with it.

I think it's one of the best pieces of content I wrote so far.

Probably I'll also transform it into a lead magnet like Mitch suggested.

Martin Boeddeker

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Jun 5, 2018
Paderborn, Deutschland
Wanted to let you know I have an Ask Me Anything thread about SaaS here that could be helpful -> GOLD! - Ask Me Anything About SaaS ( I'm building my 7th )

Thanks for pointing that out.

I've had a look at that thread before and it's really good.

At the moment is not so much knowledge that's lacking it more taking action and getting real-world feedback and "find focus" myself.

One of my biggest problems/weaknesses is changing my strategy too often.

It's a known human bias.

Dan Ariely writes about it in his book "Predictably Irrational" (Probably one of the best marketing books I've ever read, even though it's not a marketing but psychology book.)

Too many options distract us from our main objective.

That's why I said I want to focus on getting good at one thing and focus on the process of writing really good articles and learn how to promote them.

This will include breaking these articles down into smaller pieces that I can share via social media and request feedback from experts in my niche. (e.g. Cal Newport, Nir Eyal, etc.)

This will require me to develop deep work habits myself, something I'm still struggling with.

The focus is on the process, document it and making it more efficient.

Since I'm a one-man show at the moment it's so easy to get overwhelmed.

Update about my progress:

I've figured out how to make/design great looking graphics for blog posts/facebook posts using a cool tool I bought on appsumo a while ago.

They are all based on templates that are generated automatically. The only thing that's not possible with the software, is to move objects around. You have to stick with the templates.

It's not perfect but I really like it.

And my new (reactivated) Facebook account got shot down, even while ads are running. I had to upload a photo and now waiting for them.

Basically, there is nothing I can do, which makes me hate them even more. It's incredible that they are building an empire on combining addictive technology with the network effect where everybody is locked-in.

That's why they are able to get away with it with this crappy customers service for paying customers. :(

That sucks.

Some examples of blog post /facebook pictures:

2tsfsK8

2KgZBZ4
2tum3Ua

Martin Boeddeker

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Jun 5, 2018
Paderborn, Deutschland
Progress is pretty slow at the moment.

Just found out that I made a major mistake in my billing system, so users of my software would only get bill $1 after the trial period is over instead of $97. I reached out to the people but nobody replied. :(

At least I had one customer who asked of a pricing plan (which I provided), probably a student:

Hey Martin!

And thank you so much for this offer! I'm just honestly so addicted to YouTube and socials so this app really have saved my days. Also I had sleeping issues cause watching tutorials or working too late.

I try to finally pay it next week. So I hope the payment link will be active until then.

Thanks again! :)

All the best, Joni

So at least some people are seeing the value of my software. :)

In the meantime, I will focus on my strategy. I finally finished my blog post and started posting useful content on my social media channels again with the goal to post only evergreen stuff that I can post again in the future.

Currently, I follow Andy Black's advise about business processes, so it's okay to go slower. I generally try to go for the "perfect solution" way to fast and then get overwhelmed.

1) Do it manually (a few times)
2) Keep doing it and remove friction
3) Documented the process / Create Checklists & Templates
4) Automate and/or outsource
5) Optimize and document again (as much as is sensible)​

I also repurposed my article for quora and Reddit and at least on Reddit it was well received and got a bunch of upvotes in the nosurf thread.

Next big task will be starting my podcast (I scheduled two interviews already) and doing outreach while working on my next article.

I don't know why but outreach scares me at the moment. I have to keep it simple I guess :)

Martin Boeddeker

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Jun 5, 2018
Paderborn, Deutschland
Short update:

I just started outreach. I believe @Kung Fu Steve coaching calls and doing Tony Robbins "Hour of Power" really helped me to overcome my mental block.

I also just launched my very first podcast episode this morning.

Since I don't like to get into paid advertising at the moment I need to build relationships with people who already have access to my target audience.

The long-term goal is to have joint-venture webinars but for now, I'm okay just to interview interesting people about the topics of deepwork, building habits, and entrepreneurship.

Here is the first episode.

I think it's quite okay for the very first episode.

I'm trying to improve the habit of shipping. :)

How to build better habits with Marco Stojanovic

I will refine the process as I go along.

Martin Boeddeker

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Jun 5, 2018
Paderborn, Deutschland
Joining this forum gave me so much momentum. Currently participating in Kung Fu Steve's coaching, joined a mastermind group with fellow members from the forum, and having weekly calls with another forum member.

All this together really changed my mindset.

Next step will be to set up a working funnel for my software.

The plan is to model this funnel from proof and test different lead magnets.

Our Prove High Converting Landing Page Template

Lead Magnets to test:

• My One-Page-Productivity Planner,
  • an ebook about internet addiction (my blog post turned into an ebook).
  • a modified version of the book "Focus" from Leo Babauta from Zenhabits (really like this guy and all his content is without copyright). I just need to rewrite the part where his book is outdated but mentions similar software to mine.
  • The 10,000/ hour google docs worksheet modeled after 80/20 sales and marketing from Perry Marshall

Most of the lead magnets are already finished (except the rewrite).

I will then test to convert people to a prerecorded webinar/software demonstration or directly into the paid trial of FindFocus.

Also scheduled a call a podcast call with the creator of this documentary (which is really worth watching)

Stare Into The Lights My Pretties | Jore

Besides that, I'm trying to line up more people for my podcast.

I aim for one episode per week.

To plan out the episodes I use Russel Brunson's funnelscripts.

They provide really nice frameworks and interview questions.

Also I stumbled upon this really cool software:

https://designrr.io/

Besides the software which is pretty cool, I was blown away by their funnel.

Facebook Ad with $27 onetime offer for lifetime version -> Sales Page with bumper ($37) for info product-> Upsell to "Pro-Version" for $97/year - Downsell to $19/month pro version -> Upsell $97/year agency version.

I will probably try to model this in the future as well. It was the 1st time I saw a SaaS company really use Russel Brunsons Framework in such an elegant way, that totally makes sense.

No wonder why they seem to have more than 30.000 customers...

Martin Boeddeker

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Jun 5, 2018
Paderborn, Deutschland
Just wanted to share this interview with you I did with Jordan Brown who created the film "STARE INTO THE LIGHTS MY PRETTIES".

The whole interview is about the bigger questions that are related to technology and it's impact on us, our society and our environment.

You can listen to it here:

https://findfocus.net/impact-technology/

I know this is an external link to my own website but the interview is highly relevant to nosurf and Jordan has some really important points to talk about.

What I liked most about this interview was his story of travelling the world without a smartphone!

Be sure to watch his documentary as well:

His film is mind-blowing and scary at the same time.

Hope you like the interview and the podcast format.
1f642.png

If you have any questions or how to make the podcast better in the future just let me know.

Have a great day!

Martin Boeddeker

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Jun 5, 2018
Paderborn, Deutschland
Congratulation on the wedding!

Look at the most popular and data-rich articles of those influencers that are in line what you are doing, create an infographic and share it. Make sure to include the original source.

Do it for free for a while.
1. It is a relatively cheap way to get content up
2. By pulling popular articles you have cheap marketing
3. It is a great way of giving to them. When it will be time to ask, this will come in handy.

Thank you. That's a great idea! Especially to do that for the most important influencers !

Martin Boeddeker

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Jun 5, 2018
Paderborn, Deutschland
Currently making a lot of progress interviewing people for my podcast.

I noticed that I became much faster with the production and everything.

For know I estimate that it takes me about 1-3 hours to find a guest, about 30min to prepare for an interview and about 3-4 hours for post production publishing the content and sharing it via social media.

That's actually pretty good. Of course my audience is still pretty small. It's more about the staying consistent and improving the process.

One example is this guide for interview guests so I can really cut down the amount of sending messages back and forth in advance:

The FindFocus Podcast - Interview Guide

Another aspect of this is that I'm building a lot of goodwill with the people I interview, especially if they are unknown and just starting out as well. This is a list of people I can later return to and ask for backlinks/product reviews/testimonials etc.

My last interview was with a another forum member and it's really impressive what he accomplished although he just turned 22.

How Daily And Weekly Planning Will Burn Away Your Bad Habits And Transform Your Life

I'm away next week for my honey moon so I decided to publish to episodes this week.

Besides that I discovered a goldmine of people/leads on twitter. I never really used that but with a tool from appsumo I can enter a lot of conversations where people recommend similar (but inferior products like selfcontrol)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.