The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Quitting and going back to university??

Anything related to matters of the mind

Simplify

Thrive
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
May 17, 2019
Ireland
Hi,

I have been doing web design for just over a month now. Consistent patterns are emerging and I feel isolated working on my computer all the time.

I also teach online to pay the bills so most of my day is me at home by myself staring at a screen. I feel like I'm living my life in my head.

I have been considering quitting and going back to university for a master's in psychology to eventually do clinical psychology. It appeals to me because it's real and doesn't rely on s computer. Just 2 people talking honestly and helping them out in an impactful way. Plus I'm very interested in the subject and I think it suits my strengths. Just been getting fed up working with computers all the time. I live in the UK so university is a lot cheaper than the states.

I am also scared of this path because i am plugging myself back into the traditional route. But I also don't know if I really want to be an entrepreneur or if I was just sold on the idea at some point.

I have a degree in accounting and originally came here because I was fed up with the corporate scene. I feel like psychology is different though as the end result is not related to profit.

Does anyone else struggle with feelings of isolation due to working by yourself in front of a computer?

I feel like I want to live a life that doesn't involve too many screens. But so far with my web design business I do nothing but work on a computer online.

Anyway what do you guys think about this?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

broswoodwork

Intermediate User of the Flying Guillotine
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
313%
Oct 16, 2015
Hi,

I have been doing web design for just over a month now. Consistent patterns are emerging and I feel isolated working on my computer all the time.

I also teach online to pay the bills so most of my day is me at home by myself staring at a screen. I feel like I'm living my life in my head.

I have been considering quitting and going back to university for a master's in psychology to eventually do clinical psychology. It appeals to me because it's real and doesn't rely on s computer. Just 2 people talking honestly and helping them out in an impactful way. Plus I'm very interested in the subject and I think it suits my strengths. Just been getting fed up working with computers all the time. I live in the UK so university is a lot cheaper than the states.

I am also scared of this path because i am plugging myself back into the traditional route. But I also don't know if I really want to be an entrepreneur or if I was just sold on the idea at some point.

I have a degree in accounting and originally came here because I was fed up with the corporate scene. I feel like psychology is different though as the end result is not related to profit.

Does anyone else struggle with feelings of isolation due to working by yourself in front of a computer?

I feel like I want to live a life that doesn't involve too many screens. But so far with my web design business I do nothing but work on a computer online.

Doesn't sound like it, but would you feel better about your current work if you were doing it in a different environment?

LuckyPup

Opportunity + Preparation = Success
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Aug 2, 2012
Midwest USA
Hi,

I've had a similar experience. Moreover, the longer I'm isolated, the less I want to socialize. I yearn for a more meaningful "connection," yet at the same time I elect to be insular. Ugh.

I applaud that you've recognized these pattern(s) and are considering a different route, even if it's not "Fastlane." Not everything has to be entrepreneurial, and who knows, maybe it will open a door to another entrepreneurial endeavor down the road. If not, so be it.

Simplify

Thrive
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
May 17, 2019
Ireland
Doesn't sound like it, but would you feel better about your current work if you were doing it in a different environment?
Possibly yea. I came home 2 months after living abroad for 1.5 year. Involves living back with my parents. A number of factors likely at play

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
What stops you from earning a Masters while doing web design? Why do you have to quit?

I won't tell you what to do, but it doesn't make sense to start toward a career as a shrink when you don't like being in your head. That's literally where they spend all their time (when they're not typing notes on a screen by their self that is).

Also, it's gonna suck when you look back and realize how much faster web design could've freed you from screens and isolation than this new path.

Last edited:

Simplify

Thrive
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
May 17, 2019
Ireland
What stops you from earning a Masters while doing web design? Why do you have to quit?

I won't tell you what to do, but it doesn't make sense to start toward a career as a shrink when you don't like being in your head. That's literally where they spend all there time (when they're not typing notes on a screen by their self that is).

Also, it's gonna suck when you look back and realize how much faster web design could've freed you from screens and isolation than this new path.
Noted. Thanks for the advice. That's exactly why I posted here in order to see it from different angles. My own biases and all

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Noted. Thanks for the advice. That's exactly why I posted here in order to see it from different angles. My own biases and all

Have you read @Fox threads? If you're already making money with web design, then you need the processes to sell and scale your business. If you sell a $10k or $20k website, then it doesn't take many projects to hire a team of designers and outsource virtually all of your business. That's how I look at it. Even if you didn't scale, you can still sell at prices that affect orders of magnitude big enough to spend most of the year doing whatever you want (including going after that degree).

Simplify

Thrive
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
May 17, 2019
Ireland
Have you read @Fox threads? If you're already making money with web design, then you need the processes to sell and scale your business. If you sell a $10k or $20k website, then it doesn't take many projects to hire a team of designers and outsource virtually all of your business. That's how I look at it. Even if you didn't scale, you can still sell at prices that affect orders of magnitude big enough to spend most of the year doing whatever you want (including going after that degree).
Yea I have! Very good stuff and the reason I started web design in the first place. Being honest with myself this could all just be limiting beliefs surrounding my ability to do well with web design. Or it could be genuine signs that the lifestyle is not right for me. That is what I need to work out

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Hi,

Sure, we all struggle with feelings of isolation when each of us works too much on our computers. (That's also my reaction to the bookkeeping part of our businesses.) BUT, look a little bit deeper. I bet if you'll find that you are reacting to an underlying feeling that you aren't making the progress you expected, as fast as you thought it would happen.

I wonder IF psychology will everything that you think it will be. Can you test your interest before you go back to school? I went to law school and then never became an attorney. By the time I graduated, I had a large expert witness practice going. It was a good use of my education. I would have been miserable as a real estate attorney -- making a LOT of money. You must answer this question -- Will you be happy caring for people day after day? Will it scratch that itch? Find a way to test your interest before you jump back into school.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
I think a huge factor in this is the location.

With my own story I have massive swings in isolation/socializing depending on the country I was living in. Even within the same country, some locations were way better for my mental health than others.

For example, Bogota, Kiev, and Mexico (first two locations) were all very social. I would do 4-5 hours of web work a day and then nearly always be hanging out with other people, playing sports, going out for drinkings, gyming etc.

Tbilisi (the first time), Malta, Ireland, and Poland (the first few months) were way different - I just couldn't get a solid group of friends going and had days in a row where I didn't get to talk to anyone.

Working online can for sure be isolating but it is easy enough balanced with a good life set up outside of that.

The problem happens (I find) when your living set up is also isolating and now you have two things working together negatively.

It appeals to me because it's real and doesn't rely on s computer. Just 2 people talking honestly and helping them out in an impactful way. Plus I'm very interested in the subject and I think it suits my strengths. Just been getting fed up working with computers all the time.

Maybe this is also a part of it. That you don't see online work as being as real/useful compared to offline work. I think this can definitely be the case at the start where it seems like you are selling something no one needs nor wants but once the sales get better and you work with some good clients that will change fast.

I think whatever you do look into your location either way - living in the UK in winter, and at home, can be super tough mentally if other things aren't on track. Hope that helps.

Madman1996

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Oct 9, 2017
Netherlands
Mad props for sharing this with us if you feel that you want to take another path than go for it brother nobody will discourage you or talk bad about you if you want to switch paths everybody is unique in their own journey fast lane or not only the weak look down upon people for their life paths I see this alot especially on fb groups think differently or say that you hold another philosophy of life etc see them throwing all kinds of shit to you anyhow wish you nothing but the best brother

Last edited:

James Klymus

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Dec 28, 2018
Chicago, Illinois
As MJ has said before: "Fastlane is a mindset"

If you want to go back to school and get a job in a different field, no one will discourage you here.

As long as you're getting fulfillment from what you do, and you feel you have the freedom you need in your life, that's what matters. You don't have to be a hardcore entrepreneur. You can still be an entrepreneurial person.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.