The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Quit Alcohol. Try it.

Anything related to matters of the mind

Yes - I'm in love with the bottle!

• Yes - I'm in love with the bottle!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes - Only one drink a day or only on weekends

Votes: 16 35.6%
  • No - Out of choice

Votes: 9 20.0%
  • No - Why would I put that crap in my system?

Votes: 20 44.4%

• Total voters

Spenny

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
377%
Nov 16, 2022
United Kingdom
Just over a month ago, I came across this thread about alcohol. I read it, denied its ideas, immediately putting up walls and saying to myself:

" nah I'd never quit, what would people think of me? It's just so awkward to say no"
" but what about all the friends I've made while drunk? I'm sure that wouldn't happen again if I'm sober. People won't associate with me.
" I like the taste of vodka & the feeling of being drunk"
" all the good times I've had with it, how could I give that up?"

Then a friend told me more about its effects. I intially ignored it.

....but this ticked over in my mind and it wouldn't go away. Big sign it's something I need to address.

Shock
I watched this. I was more than horrified at what I did to myself. I'd strongly suggest to watch this if you haven't already. Here's the biggest takeaways:

1) Alcohol is bad, but its metabolised into to the much worse acetaldehyde. That's what gives the drunk feeling. I'm a chemist, so out of curiosity so I searched up the safety data sheet. We must use these sheets as a reference to take the appropriate precautions. This is what it had to say.​
1679226097658.png
I feel like such a dummy that I take SERIOUS precautions not to expose myself to nasty stuff (using lab coats, goggles, gloves, washing hands, using fume cupboards) & on the weekends I defeat the purpose of my precautions.​
I also felt sickened that all those times I felt drunk it was actually because my body was under attack. Why do I do such a thing to myself?​
2) It is awful for gut health (good bateria is killed, bad bacteria thrives). It is terrible for your brain (memory degeneration, organisation). It is awful for deep sleep. It spurrs on hangover anxiety.​
3) Even a drink a day or seven on a weekend is classed as HEAVY DRINKING? Goddamn, I never thought I would be a heavy drinker. Just one drink is bad enough.​

Denial.
I was so confused, alcohol is so accepted & encouraged, but it does all this nasty shit to you. I've been drinking ever since I was straight vodka in rural English parks when I was 15, all the memories. I'd be able to swish vodka in my mouth & swallow it without cringing. I love the taste. I thought about my previous excuses. I actually got upset thinking about giving it up.

Then it smacked me right in the face.

You know these people are right, it is really bad for you.
Are they really friends if they only want to drink with you?
You have nearly broken your jaw from drinking too much. A life changing injury. Why do you justify this?

Getting upset at giving up something that you know is bad for you? That is addict behaviour.

I promised myself I would try it for a month, just to prove I can do without it.

Acceptance.

That day has come, here are the benefits I've recieved:
  • Higher confidence from asserting my boundaries. People will pressure, I do not care. (laugh in the face of "you're so boring" - eat shit)
  • Quick and sharp on nights out. I'm far more aware of social cues, atmospheres & vibes of people
  • Coherent on nights out - I actually got into two clubs without ID because I was able to speak clearly and the bouncer knew I wasn't going to be a problem.
  • I'm richer. Less money spent on expensive stupid drinks.
  • I've been able to put in superb gym sets. I'm much stronger than I was a month ago
  • Kept more good habits from not having an excuse.
  • My skin is clearer.
  • I'm far better at dancing.
  • I've not done dumb stuff.
  • I can drive back home from house parties - loud music at 2am is just amazing.
  • I'm in complete control of what I want to do. Do you know how good it feels to just be able to leave when a party gets crap?
  • Not eat crap takeaways.
  • Less self-consiousness. I don't need to impress people on how much I can drink, nor do I need to feel that I need to fit in.
  • More time, I have a whole day in which I'm not moping around from a hangover. I've actually had trouble with this new time because it was never there before!
I found that I didn't have less fun experiences, I just traded some experiences with other ones.

I gave in hangovers, wavy nights, drunk liaisons, an excuse to be confident with the stuff I just listed above.

My Challenge to You is Simple.
1) Listen to the Andrew Huberman Video I linked. Just listen. I will not tell you to drop alcohol. Just listen.​
2) Read this thread. Look at the people denouncing alcohol, these people are no joke & have done wonderful things.​
3) If you really have some nuts, message me & I'll check in on you a month from now.​
Don't you dare ghost me, hold yourself accountable, persist.
Edit: Spelling Errors.​

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
541%
Apr 17, 2022
Out of all the substances in this world, our society, in all of its wisdom, has decided to take one of the most dangerous and addictive ones and make it one of its cornerstones.

The only reason why alcohol is legal and socially acceptable is because it has been here since the dawn of human civilization. It's extremely cheap and easy to mass-produce: all you need is some grain that you let rot.

But as soon as you take a closer look at its pharmacology, you see a number of disturbing facts:
  • it is a neurotoxin that destroys our nervous system (yes, the brain)
  • it permeates every cell in the body and is heavily carcinogenic
  • it interferes with almost every physiological process in the body in a profoundly negative way
  • it is one of the only known substances that causes aggression in humans

The statistics are not very optimistic either.
  • alcohol kills 3 million people world wide, each and every single year
    • that's 5 times more than malaria
    • in 30 years, it kills the same amount of people as WW2. That's 3 World Wars per 100 years.
  • 13% of all deaths of young people (20-39 years of age), occur due to alcohol
    • yes, that's 1 in 10

How exactly did it get to this point is completely beyond my comprehension.

If alcohol was invented today, it would immediately be classified as a class 1 prohibited substance, and made illegal all around the world.

The society in which we live, is not very intelligent, to put it mildly. Blindly following what everyone else is doing may not be the best idea in the world - this applies to everything: alcohol, food, "entertainment", lifestyle, and finances.

Use your own brain. Make your own choices.

Because you will have to live with the consequences of your actions.

Last edited:

AJV

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
900%
Mar 18, 2023
Philippines
I haven't had a single drink since 2019. Before than, I was a daily beer drinker for 20 years and those years were wasted in stagnation. It all feels like a bad dream today. Now I feel alive, I am growing every day and I have zero desire to ever drink again.

I failed quitting in the first several attempts, but then I came up with a series of steps that worked flawlessly with my brain.

1. I acknowledged that of all the harms alcohol does to me, my relationships with women suffered most and if I don't stop, I will continue losing partners because of drunk arguments.

2. I observed my drinking habits and realized that I prefer the drinks that I drink often, not the drinks that are tasty or new. If I drank the same beer every day, any other beer wouldn't taste as good for me, even if it's more expensive or better in some way. This made me believe that my brain will like any drink as long as there is some alcohol in it and I drank it daily for a while.

Around 6 months before quitting drinking I replaced my daily beer with my own "cocktail" which was 0.5L of water + 1 teaspoon of lime powdered juice + 1 shot of rum. The recipe doesn't actually matter, what matters is that my brain quickly got used to it and was begging for it every day after work instead of begging for beer. The only difference was that this time I controlled the amount of alcohol in my daily drinks and I could switch to non-alcoholic version of it without changing the flavor.

Which is exactly what I did one day. My brain didn't notice the trick and every time it begged for another drink, I drank my alcohol-free cocktail and felt the familiar and expected relief because it was tied to the flavor of the drink (alcohol normally kicks in a bit later). Anytime the brain felt that "something is missing, I need another drink", I gave it one. I had almost no hard feelings and stress quitting this way and after a week or so I was off the alcohol and never had a drink since.

3. The last key to quitting was to completely remove alcohol from live and not allow a drop of it to enter the body, which is not that difficult after the initial week or two. These days I never miss drinking or have any regrets when I see other people drinking. I feel a bit sorry for them though.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Out of all the substances in this world, our society, in all of its wisdom, has decided to take one of the most dangerous and addictive ones and make it one of its cornerstones.

The only reason why alcohol is legal and socially acceptable is because it has been here since the dawn of human civilization. It's extremely cheap and easy to mass-produce: all you need is some grain that you let rot.

But as soon as you take a closer look at its pharmacology, you see a number of disturbing facts:
  • it is a neurotoxin that destroys our nervous system (yes, the brain)
  • it permeates every cell in the body and is heavily carcinogenic
  • it interferes with almost every physiological process in the body in a profoundly negative way
  • it is one of the only known substances that causes aggression in humans

The statistics are not very optimistic either.
  • alcohol kills 3 million people world wide, each and every single year
    • that's 5 times more than malaria
    • in 30 years, it kills the same amount of people as WW2. That's 3 World Wars per 100 years.
  • 13% of all deaths of young people (20-39 years of age), occur due to alcohol
    • yes, that's 1 in 10

How exactly did it get to this point is completely beyond my comprehension.

If alcohol was invented today, it would immediately be classified as a class 1 prohibited substance, and made illegal all around the world.

The society in which we live, is not very intelligent, to put it mildly. Blindly following what everyone else is doing may not be the best idea in the world - this applies to everything: alcohol, food, "entertainment", lifestyle, and finances.

Use your own brain. Make your own choices.

Because you will have to live with the consequences of your actions.
I stopped drinking accidentally at the end of January. 45 days later, not a drop. I may just stay this way.

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA
I stopped drinking accidentally at the end of January. 45 days later, not a drop. I may just stay this way.

Religions incorporated extended abstinence from vices (Lent, Ramadan) for this reason. Sometimes when people go without something for a while, they realize that they're better off without it.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Posted in the Random Thread...

Alcohol makes you do dumb shit.
And is the source for many DAREs.

This BORG shit will kill you, but yea, at least I got 31,000 likes on TikTok before I died of alcohol poisoning.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2wL0LtRLXo

mikecarlooch

Apprentice & Student Of The Game
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
Jan 28, 2022
Florida
Posted in the Random Thread...

Alcohol makes you do dumb shit.
And is the source for many DAREs.

This BORG shit will kill you, but yea, at least I got 31,000 likes on TikTok before I died of alcohol poisoning.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2wL0LtRLXo
I can't believe how brainless my generation is

They should take that creativity and apply it to something meaningful

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
541%
Apr 17, 2022

Oso

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
290%
Jan 18, 2022
I have never and will never understand the appeal of alcohol. It is easily one of the worst things to ever happen to our species. Being a bartender for 5-6 years confirmed this theory.

People will call you an addict for having a blunt after work, but then look the other way while some toddler's mum slams 10 bottles of wine/day.

Prohibition, unfortunately, had it right. We were simply too late.

"WEED IS KILLING OUR KIDS!!! WAAAHHH!!"

*Meanwhile some drunk guy gets in his car and kills a family of 5, but we sweep it under the rug and ignore it. The stoner Doordashed McDonalds and is now playing video games and eating. But weed is dangerous.*

Personally speaking, I'm still rooting for the complete collapse of human civilization, however since it more than likely won't happen in my lifetime, fastlane it is!

Edit: After a bit of contemplating, I'm convinced society is obsessed with alcohol because it's the same society that excuses anything and everything you do/did if you were/are "drunk."

"He raped a kid? It's okay, he was drunk. I'm sure he isn't a bad person."
"He killed a family? It's okay, he was drunk, it was an accident - he didn't mean to drive home!"
"Oh, he beat the F*ck out of his wife? Well, he's only violent when he drinks, so it's the alcohol's fault, not his."
"She got drunk at 11am and forgot to feed her kid lunch? It's okay, it's that pesky alcohol again!"

I hate it.

Last edited:

N.S.

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
Aug 26, 2013
UK
Thanks for posting this @Spenny and props to you for going the other way (particularly in such an ingrained drinking culture that we have in the UK) and seeing such huge huge positive changes in your life.

Some years back I stopped ingesting all alcohol for 3 years (it was initially for 2 weeks, then that turned into a month etc etc) after a particularly harsh hangover, at the time when my 1st business was going somewhere and I was cursing myself for sabotaging my productivity, alertness etc. I also already knew how destructive alcohol is to health outcomes.

It was - unsurprisingly - an amazing period of growth, getting sh1t done and feeling good.

Coming back to drinking (around 5/6 years ago), my relationship with alcohol is completely different. It's mostly a conscious thing. I rarely drink with anyone other than my wife and we either make incredible cocktails at home or go to top cocktail bars to try their latest inventions. For us it's artistic, creative, somewhat similar to trying weird and wonderful foods and flavours etc and a way to connect with each other. I don't ever drink just because i'm somewhere where there happens to be drinks flowing (paid for or free).

These days I mostly have my drinking under control, mostly down to 0-3 drinks on the weekend and 0-2 drinks during the week.

However, I appreciate that you posted.

I am kidding myself if I think inebriation and the sensations of that are not a factor for me, albeit a small one (but still a potentially dangerous thing as physiological factors can lead to increasing dosage over time, which has happened sometimes).

I've had that Huberman podcast downloaded to my phone for a few weeks and had not yet listened. Your post prompted me to do it (I'm halfway through now).

Unsurprisingly, I'm cutting down again drastically - I think 2-4 drinks a month, only on weekends, is plenty for me to still get all of the connection, creative satisfaction etc whilst dramatically reducing the downsides.

Thank you for posting Spenny, hopefully you doing that will make many think, evaluate, get educated and change their lives for the better.

Last edited:

Spenny

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
377%
Nov 16, 2022
United Kingdom
Which is exactly what I did one day. My brain didn't notice the trick and every time it begged for another drink, I drank my alcohol-free cocktail and felt the familiar and expected relief because it was tied to the flavor of the drink (alcohol normally kicks in a bit later). Anytime the brain felt that "something is missing, I need another drink", I gave it one. I had almost no hard feelings and stress quitting this way and after a week or so I was off the alcohol and never had a drink since.
This is a fantastic strategy of tricking the brain, thank you for this. I'll bear it in mind, never know when it'll come in handy!

I've never seen such degeneracy, its like playing the five finger fillet with your life. It really is the 2023 Darwin Awards @heavy_industry! :rofl::rofl:

I can't believe how brainless my generation is
I can, people want to be apart of something, wether that is being a lowkey addict or being apart of a forum, people crave it. We seriously don't have enough of it in our generation & I can see why this stuff goes viral. It's all fun and games until you realise how close you were to permanently disabling yourself, or worse, dying.

*Meanwhile some drunk guy gets in his car and kills a family of 5, but we sweep it under the rug and ignore it. The stoner Doordashed McDonalds and is now playing video games and eating. But weed is dangerous.*
Weed is no better, this also needs to get out of the public consiousness. It's just as scary as alcohol. I'm sure it's another way to decrease the general population IQ by a few points.

I've had that Huberman podcast downloaded to my phone for a few weeks and had not yet listened. Your post prompted me to do it (I'm halfway through now).

shia-labeouf-clapping.gif
Bravo, I began clapping once I read that.

You've made my day. I really hoped people would take action from this post, thats all that matters. Not me, feeling good about myself, but helping others. Well done man, hope you're enjoying the episode.

Big respect to @heavy_industry too, much of what he said in his response was what spurred me to try this & post. I appreciate you man :)

Last edited:

Shono

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
315%
Aug 8, 2021
After drinking daily for almost 7 years, HARD,, from 2015 - 2022 it was the Huberman podcast and the book ‘This Naked Mind’ by Annie Grace (talks a lot about the health harms in detail, her youtube channel is also good). I was up to about 12 standard drinks per day (8 pints) EVERY single day for the last year before I got sober.

The pain of running from my problems finally caught up from me like a debt I had been ignoring and the pain of being a loser finally superseded that pain, enough was enough. I can’t recommend being sober enough.

The key thing I remember from the Huberman podcast ill never forget is that the brain only cements neuroplasticity in REM sleep and alcohol disrupts REM constantly so you are effectively staying stupid in day to day life even when you’re not actively drunk. I am learning way more quick and am way more fit now too.

One key for me was also a thing called ‘false hope syndrome’ I highly recommend you look it up, it made quitting for me 90% easier I would say and i can elaborate on it if its wanted

Last edited:

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
541%
Apr 17, 2022
After drinking daily for almost 7 years, HARD,, from 2015 - 2022 it was the Huberman podcast and the book ‘This Naked Mind’ by Annie Grace (talks a lot about the health harms in detail, her youtube channel is also good). I was up to about 12 standard drinks per day (8 pints) EVERY single day for the last year before I got sober.

The pain of running from my problems finally caught up from me like a debt I had been ignoring and the pain of being a loser finally superseded that pain, enough was enough. I can’t recommend being sober enough.

The key thing I remember from the Huberman podcast ill never forget is that the brain only cements neuroplasticity in REM sleep and alcohol disrupts REM constantly so you are effectively staying stupid in day to day life even when you’re not actively drunk. I am learning way more quick and am way more fit now too.

One key for me was also a thing called ‘false hope syndrome’ I highly recommend you look it up, it made quitting for me 90% easier I would say and i can elaborate on it if its wanted
Congratulations for conquering your demons and quitting this poison. Life will get progressively better from now on.

And also, congratulation for improving your writing. It's always great to see people listening to feedback and improving themselves, instead of just ignoring what they don't like to hear and leaving. This is a great sign.

You're on the right path! Keep it up!

Last edited:

Tom Fitzgerald

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Jan 23, 2021
Maryland
Just over a month ago, I came across this thread about alcohol. I read it, denied its ideas, immediately putting up walls and saying to myself:

" nah I'd never quit, what would people think of me? It's just so awkward to say no"
" but what about all the friends I've made while drunk? I'm sure that wouldn't happen again if I'm sober. People won't associate with me.
" I like the taste of vodka & the feeling of being drunk"
" all the good times I've had with it, how could I give that up?"

Then a friend told me more about its effects. I intially ignored it.

....but this ticked over in my mind and it wouldn't go away. Big sign it's something I need to address.

Shock
I watched this. I was more than horrified at what I did to myself. I'd strongly suggest to watch this if you haven't already. Here's the biggest takeaways:

1) Alcohol is bad, but its metabolised into to the much worse acetaldehyde. That's what gives the drunk feeling. I'm a chemist, so out of curiosity so I searched up the safety data sheet. We must use these sheets as a reference to take the appropriate precautions. This is what it had to say.​
I feel like such a dummy that I take SERIOUS precautions not to expose myself to nasty stuff (using lab coats, goggles, gloves, washing hands, using fume cupboards) & on the weekends I defeat the purpose of my precautions.​
I also felt sickened that all those times I felt drunk it was actually because my body was under attack. Why do I do such a thing to myself?​
2) It is awful for gut health (good bateria is killed, bad bacteria thrives). It is terrible for your brain (memory degeneration, organisation). It is awful for deep sleep. It spurrs on hangover anxiety.​
3) Even a drink a day or seven on a weekend is classed as HEAVY DRINKING? Goddamn, I never thought I would be a heavy drinker. Just one drink is bad enough.​

Denial.
I was so confused, alcohol is so accepted & encouraged, but it does all this nasty shit to you. I've been drinking ever since I was straight vodka in rural English parks when I was 15, all the memories. I'd be able to swish vodka in my mouth & swallow it without cringing. I love the taste. I thought about my previous excuses. I actually got upset thinking about giving it up.

Then it smacked me right in the face.

You know these people are right, it is really bad for you.
Are they really friends if they only want to drink with you?
You have nearly broken your jaw from drinking too much. A life changing injury. Why do you justify this?

Getting upset at giving up something that you know is bad for you? That is addict behaviour.

I promised myself I would try it for a month, just to prove I can do without it.

Acceptance.

That day has come, here are the benefits I've recieved:
  • Higher confidence from asserting my boundaries. People will pressure, I do not care. (laugh in the face of "you're so boring" - eat shit)
  • Quick and sharp on nights out. I'm far more aware of social cues, atmospheres & vibes of people
  • Coherient on nights out - I actually got into two clubs without ID because I was able to speak clearly and the bouncer knew I wasn't going to be a problem.
  • I'm richer. Less money spent on expensive stupid drinks.
  • I've been able to put in superb gym sets. I'm much stronger than I was a month ago
  • Kept more good habits from not having an excuse.
  • My skin is clearer.
  • I'm far better at dancing.
  • I've not done dumb stuff.
  • I can drive back home from house parties - loud music at 2am is just amazing.
  • I'm in complete control of what I want to do. Do you know how good it feels to just be able to leave when a party gets crap?
  • Not eat crap takeaways.
  • Less self-consiousness. I don't need to impress people on how much I can drink, nor do I need to feel that I need to fit in.
  • More time, I have a whole day in which I'm not moping around from a hangover. I've actually had trouble with this new time because it was never there before!
I found that I didn't have less fun experiences, I just traded some experiences with other ones.

I gave in hangovers, wavy nights, drunk liaisons, an excuse to be confident with the stuff I just listed above.

My Challenge to You is Simple.
1) Listen to the Andrew Huberman Video I linked. Just listen. I will not tell you to drop alcohol. Just listen.​
2) Read this thread. Look at the people denouncing alcohol, these people are no joke & have done wonderful things.​
3) If you really have some nuts, message me & I'll check in on you a month from now.​
Don't you dare ghost me, hold yourself accountable, persist.

I've been teetering with this decision for a few months myself. While finally feeling the crappy effects of poor health choices over decades, I've changed up my lifestyle and relationship with eating over the last month but have continued to consume large amounts of alcohol Tuesday nights at a recurring Legion event.
Seeing this post today has tipped the scales. I'm no longer a consumer of alcohol.
I've also got an extremely mild health thing that is more of an annoyance than hindrance. I've tried everything under the sun that you can get over the counter in addition to prescription crap. Nothing has helped. I drink and then consume way too much caffeine to offset the poor sleep. Both can screw with hormones. It'd be a great this shift has a side effect of clearing up the issue.
Thanks again for the post, it's helped.

Shono

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
315%
Aug 8, 2021
Congratulations for conquering your demons and quitting this poison. Life will get progressively better from now on.

And also, congratulation for improving your writing. It's always great to see people listening to feedback and improving themselves, instead of just ignoring what they don't like to hear and leaving. This is a great sign.

You're on the right path! Keep it up!
Thank you for your comments, I am glad I no longer drink this poison but my demons are even louder now, i am feeling all the emotions i have been numbing the past years and it is quite hard, but the oblivion of drinking my life away still is more painful so I will endure my demons and hopefully make peace with them eventually.

Paul David

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Feb 17, 2015
England
I don’t enjoy the hangovers and I’ve been 3 weeks since I had a drink now but I’m looking forward to some this coming weekend with a nice meal.

I don’t doubt the negative affects on your body and there’s certainly been a lot of wasted days over the years with a hangover but I’ve also had some wonderful days/nights out when theirs been alcohol involved, and also some not so good.

I’ve never been one to drink during the week or alone, it’s more a social thing.

I certainly won’t drink like I did in my 20s again but I wouldn’t ever think I’d quit for good.

Spenny

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
377%
Nov 16, 2022
United Kingdom
I’ve never been one to drink during the week or alone, it’s more a social thing.
Of course, I'm not here to demonise it, it's just that I've seen it overwhelmingly skew my life postively. If it adds to yours, I certainly can't say give it up.

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
I was at the gym last night(Saturday) and it was nearly empty. I knew exactly what everyone else was doing that night. Drinking and partying.

A whole new world opens up when you cut out the alcohol.

You can get an advantage in life JUST by cutting out alcohol from your life.

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
541%
Apr 17, 2022
Thank you for your comments, I am glad I no longer drink this poison but my demons are even louder now, i am feeling all the emotions i have been numbing the past years and it is quite hard, but the oblivion of drinking my life away still is more painful so I will endure my demons and hopefully make peace with them eventually.
I would strongly encourage you to start training hard. Both lifting weights and endurance sports will work.

Nothing in this world has helped me more on the psychological front. Every day is brighter and brighter. I wake up full of joy and gratitude. And the path forward has never been more clear.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Singapore
I am the lucky minority, I guess. Never find alcohol to be tasty.

But I have some caffeine dependence, and a day without it will give me a minor headache.

I also tried to see how many carbs I could without in a day by eating purely meat and vegetables, end up feeling stressed and tired, and my work productivity dropped to zero.

Spenny

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
377%
Nov 16, 2022
United Kingdom
I would strongly encourage you to start training hard. Both lifting weights and endurance sports will work.

Nothing in this world has helped me more on the psychological front. Every day is brighter and brighter. I wake up full of joy and gratitude. And the path forward has never been more clear.
@Droopynips He's right, wish I said it myself. Forget the business stuff, the motivation, the mindset. If you haven't got a strong mindset to take on your own problems, how are you going to fix others?

Do you know where to get started?

goldstein

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Oct 31, 2017

I 100% agree with that statement.

I have been training Brazilian Jiu-jitsu for almost 2 years now and I have experienced the same benefits that you’ve mentioned.

Building a good fitness routine is a great way to replace bad habits.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.