The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Alcohol drinking habits

Anything related to matters of the mind

Creative_Name

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
124%
Oct 17, 2022
I would also like to add cannabis to that list of never touch drugs if you value your brain.

Watch Hubermans episode on weed and brain health and I can assure you that you will never consider putting that chemical in your brain.

I used to think weed was pretty benign and harmless. Maybe 30 years ago it was different but this super high thc content frankenweed out now and especially these pure thc concentrates and vape carts will really do a number on your brain and could potentially cause permanent damage.

I think we are setting up our society to have a bunch a highly addicted people in a few years since the high school kids seem to really love these thc vape carts.

The amount of damage being done to these developing brains in truly staggering.
I knew the Canadian Prime Minister was up to something!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Choate

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Mar 25, 2014
Boston
Some wild takes and a lot of immaturity is showing in this thread.

The fact is people are introduced to the trillion dollar alcohol industry long before their brain finishes developing.

Social pressure, marketing, addiction, countless other factors.

You don't naturally develop resistance to all of these different pressures when you are only 20 years old. I would argue most 20 year olds aren't going to have the life experience, the wisdom, the willpower, and the discipline to be able to resist going out with the boys or getting hammered at a college party.

I think the goal for most at that age is to manage risk and drink responsibility.

Somewhere around 25 to 30 years old the goal should be either a) social drinking only (for events, not every weekend at the bar - and limit to 1-2 drinks) or b) complete abstinence

I think around 25 to 30 is when you have enough of your shit together where you can actively choose to give up alcohol and actually succeed on that. People younger than that can certainly achieve that as well but there are more challenges.

For anyone that has gone down the path too far, there is no reason to make fun of their plight. It only shows one's own lack of maturity and empathy, two traits that go a long way in entrepreneurship.

S.Y.

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 4, 2017
Canada
Only the weakest of men can’t handle complexity of life and avoid all red flags. If you can only handle being around happy people, you aren’t happy.

Calling those with addiction “retards” is a sign of a weak ignorant teenager. Removing emotions has nothing to do with it.

And yes, anyone with ANY addiction is a red flag. So?
Agree with you, I am not condoning what Johny Boy said. I don't get sucked into his antics and petulant provocateur statements - I will be there for weeks.

David Fitz

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jan 30, 2020
Ireland
Lots of people aren't into the drinking culture here in Ireland, or in the UK David. I used to be till I had kids, then everything changed. Now I just go out occasionally, in particular when England play Ireland in the 6 Nations rugby.

I meet people for a coffee more often now and much prefer that.

I suspect you'll find there's more people who aren't into the drinking culture here than you think.

If you're ever passing then make sure you let me know and we can meet up for a coffee!

I know a lot of people who don't drink much anymore but that's mainly down to having kids

I still find there isn't much to do here though.

Definitely take you up on that coffee sometime. Thanks.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Even way beyond alcohol… I don’t think victim assignment behavior is advantageous to anyone, including the supposed victim.

I might come across as harsh but I’m not someone that lets others have excuses very easily.

@Xeon your post about people being victims of marketing bugged me. It eliminates the importance of choice. Did those “victims” chose to get in their vehicles, go to a place that has alcohol, ask for it, and swipe their card? How after all of those decisions is this Anheuser Bush’s fault? It isn’t.

That’s very external locus. I wouldn’t let them have it. “Oh I slammed my car into a pedestrian at 87 miles an hour and it’s Stoli’s fault.” THAT’S a loser.

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
@Xeon your post about people being victims of marketing bugged me. It eliminates the importance of choice. Did those “victims” chose to get in their vehicles, go to a place that has alcohol, ask for it, and swipe their card? How after all of those decisions is this Anheuser Bush’s fault? It isn’t.

It's definitely "Anheuser Bush's" fault, although to be fair, "victims" are not entirely blameless. It's just that with these marketing, it's even harder for the "victims" to "escape".

If these alcohol companies market their beers like boring commodities from the beginning (e.g. toilet papers in Walmart), I doubt as many people would drink. It's very subtle brainwashing. How many times have you watched movies/ads/posters where the suave handsome heroes drink and smoke? When 12-year teenage boys see that, their minds start getting influenced.

1*ZqleGlKzQl7yyI7G6tUSGg.png

How cool and badass, I want to be like him! All I need is Marlboro right?

Bond.jpg

The classic Hollywood chad with alcohol. Imagine how much less manly he looks without that thing in his left hand (the hand with the ring).

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
It's definitely "Anheuser Bush's" fault, although to be fair, "victims" are not entirely blameless. It's just that with these marketing, it's even harder for the "victims" to "escape".

If these alcohol companies market their beers like boring commodities from the beginning (e.g. toilet papers in Walmart), I doubt as many people would drink. It's very subtle brainwashing. How many times have you watched movies/ads/posters where the suave handsome heroes drink and smoke? When 12-year teenage boys see that, their minds start getting influenced.

1*ZqleGlKzQl7yyI7G6tUSGg.png

How cool and badass, I want to be like him! All I need is Marlboro right?

Bond.jpg

The classic Hollywood chad with alcohol. Imagine how much less manly he looks without that thing in his left hand (the hand with the ring).

Just because a company has cool ads doesn’t MAKE people buy products. Sure it may encourage people to buy them. You’d have to be living under a rock to not know the downsides of smoking cigarettes. You still have to choose to ignore your knowledge of massive downsides to buy cigarettes.

Sure the Marlboro man is almost as cool as John Dutton. Does that mean I want to run out and buy a pack? No. I never have and never will.

It’s still a choice. Personal responsibility reigns supreme.

Weren’t you just agreeing on personal responsibility about TikTok?

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I still find there isn't much to do here though.
It's a whole island of amazing places and 7 million people. Many of them don't drink.

I'm reminded of when I was in my party phase in London and got my first motor bike. Overnight I stopped partying. I was obsessed with the bike and went out every evening straight from work for hours, and got up early at the weekend to head out before traffic built up.

I didn't even go out with anyone else. Just me and the bike.

I got to know a few more bikers in work. I never knew they existed because they were never down the pub after work.

What are you into? I'm sure there's local groups of people doing that.

David Fitz

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jan 30, 2020
Ireland
It's a whole island of amazing places and 7 million people. Many of them don't drink.

I'm reminded of when I was in my party phase in London and got my first motor bike. Overnight I stopped partying. I was obsessed with the bike and went out every evening straight from work for hours, and got up early at the weekend to head out before traffic built up.

I didn't even go out with anyone else. Just me and the bike.

I got to know a few more bikers in work. I never knew they existed because they were never down the pub after work.

What are you into? I'm sure there's local groups of people doing that.

Ireland has a lot of good things here but I find come evenings and weekends there isn't much to do if you're not a drinker.

Don't like how wet and dark it's gets here for 6 months. I'm a big weather guy. If you could dropship Ireland beside Spain it would be the best place in the world.

I like to be active. Gym, cycling, hikes and walking the dogs.

CaptainAmerica

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
244%
Dec 27, 2015
Phoenix OR
I can't find it now, but there's a chart out there showing alcohol consumption for startups. I followed it faithfully, even before seeing it.

New rule of thumb: I never take a drink when I need one.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
453%
Mar 15, 2018
Same with talking! Good rule to follow. Never say something when you feel like you need to say something. Give it 24 hours instead. ;)

Keeton

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Mar 17, 2021
Phoenix, AZ
My stepmother has struggled with alcoholism her whole life which started when she went through an insane amount of domestic violence over a 20 year period before she met my Dad.

She's not a retard, you're just an a**hole.
Alcoholism is the most selfish habit you can ever have. I grew up with an abusive alcoholic dad who refuses to quit drinking and will die from it in a year or two. People who can't control their urge for alcohol are selfish, weak scum. It's not that hard to just quit drinking, if they cared about the people in their life, they would quit drinking. Alcoholics are the *ssholes for putting the people around them through trauma, and a constant state of fear. Not to mention when they decide to get in a car and kill a family while driving under the influence. Men who drink are weak, and aren't fulfilling their duty as a man. You cant provide for and protect a family when you're passed out drunk on the couch every day.

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
There's 5 Liquor stores within walking distance from where I live.

Those are one of the few cash based businesses. That's a lot of people buying alcohol. More people struggle with alcohol than many realize.

Most people don't consider themselves "alcoholics" yet they wouldn't go a few days without craving alcohol.

I haven't had alcohol in 30 days and I can feel a difference. I do catch myself craving an IPA or some red wine. I notice I drink because it gives me that burst of energized dopamine.

Shono

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
315%
Aug 8, 2021
Alcoholism is the most selfish habit you can ever have. I grew up with an abusive alcoholic dad who refuses to quit drinking and will die from it in a year or two. People who can't control their urge for alcohol are selfish, weak scum. It's not that hard to just quit drinking, if they cared about the people in their life, they would quit drinking. Alcoholics are the *ssholes for putting the people around them through trauma, and a constant state of fear. Not to mention when they decide to get in a car and kill a family while driving under the influence. Men who drink are weak, and aren't fulfilling their duty as a man. You cant provide for and protect a family when you're passed out drunk on the couch every day.
Same can be said for almost any addiction, (not including some addictions perhaps, like work or exercise addiction, but those that are more shameful) if the addiction takes priority over everything else, it turns you into an emotionally unbalanced, highly secretive, insecure husk of what a man could be and should aspire to be. An alcoholic or drug addict is a man that should never have had a family in the first place and will spread the dysfunction like a plague across the family unit, wholly unseen from outside looking in, but rotting from inside out. At least that was my father with his incessant weed, on the couch 24/7 as well, and his promiscuity, who was either completely neglectful, tepid and zombified, or like Jekyll and Hyde turned into a raging freak who would scream at you at a hairline trigger flip of a switch. Being in that house was like biting my nails waiting for a bomb to go off at random.

I had my share of horrible addictions and am happily clean now, and pledge to never bring that shit into any close relationship I ever have, or ever with a future family. It stops with me god willing. Hopefully I have enough self awareness and will take responsibility as much as I can from now on.

In my own experience all of my regrets in the past looking back come from the fact I was such a shitty person to be friends with, I was a net negative for everyone I knew and befriended because I was doing heinous shit in secret and always running from my problems, and what you do in the dark will affect how you behave in the light. As an addict I was selfishly choosing whatever substance it was and could never be there for those close to me.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.