The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Question for people who like to cut ties

Anything related to matters of the mind

Luffy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Dec 20, 2014
If you don't like people less successful than you then why do you think people more successful than you would want to be around you?
"If you want to know what a man’s like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." - JK Rowling

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
Ha ha! Well, I don't think anyone wants to be around me. And I don't have expectations of people.

1. Depends on why you're cutting ties? Some people don't need too and others do. Depends on the situation.

2. If for example: You're in the side walk, naturally the more you grow and develop your beliefs and mindset change. You're choices are different then theirs. You're not on the same page or level. In my experience it's kind of like speaking a foreign language and they clash with you, because it's to much for them to believe where they're at, with their mindset. As one person just said to me yesterday, "Good luck with your new life." Why? Our mindsets are clashing. Different rules how to succeed in life.

3. For those I do talk to and get along with, you just naturally do, because you're like minded.

4. The more you grow, develop, learn, and change, people just naturally go their different ways, because they're on different paths.

Luffy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Dec 20, 2014
Ha ha! Well, I don't think anyone wants to be around me. And I don't have expectations of people.

1. Depends on why you're cutting ties? Some people don't need too and others do. Depends on the situation.

2. If for example: You're in the side walk, naturally the more you grow and develop your beliefs and mindset change. You're choices are different then theirs. You're not on the same page or level. In my experience it's kind of like speaking a foreign language and they clash with you, because it's to much for them to believe where they're at, with their mindset. As one person just said to me yesterday, "Good luck with your new life." Why? Our mindsets are clashing. Different rules how to succeed in life.

3. For those I do talk to and get along with, you just naturally do, because you're like minded.

4. The more you grow, develop, learn, and change, people just naturally go their different ways, because they're on different paths.
Hahaha, I like your response though I was thinking more along the lines of aspiring entrepreneurs or wantrepreneurs who cut off good friends because they don't agree on something or have a different world view, not because it's a natural progression.

Mr.B

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Nov 8, 2014
Australia
I aim to treat everyone with respect, regardless of whether I like them or not.

I also don't base friendships on whether I consider someone as successful or not, but rather if I think they are a good person.

If you cut a good friend out of your life because you don't agree on something or have a different world view, then perhaps you are not a good friend.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
I've done that! Just found it to be natural eventually. I've cut out just about every friend I've had since 2007. They make bad money choices, relationship choices, and lifestyle choices in general. After awhile it just becomes natural to spot who is a good team player and who is not. I used to think I was being cruel. When I look where they are at today, they're in the same place doing the same thing. I'm in a different place. You become who you hang around. People tend to become what they believe.

The thing is if you're serious about success: It's just something you do. It's necessary to succeed. It's a journey you take alone. And many aren't happy with you taking this path. In essence, you're leaving them behind financially, emotionally, mentally, and spiritually.

Dependent or independent. If you're an entrepreneur you have to be independent. If you want tons of people influencing you with bad guidance and advice it kind of distracts you.

And at the same time, you're learning the new rules, applying, and learning. And like they have around here somewhere, you earn your trust and place.

jesseissorude

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Jun 12, 2014
Nashville
Is this question posted in response to something someone on the forum said that led you to believe they had that mindset? Or maybe it was some situation you saw IRL? I'd be interested to know.

Esquire

Divorce Shark
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
244%
Oct 13, 2012
Connecticut
Aristotle explained friendship as an exchange between equals.

The exchange need not be like in kind ... but there must be an exchange.

Imbalanced relationships tend not to sustain.

So to your question ... do I cut ties ...? I suppose I do. But I think (more accurately) I just don't make unwanted friends in the first place ... so there is nothing to cut.

I prefer the company of books.

On the flip side ... I don't expect to be openly embraced by those who I admire and whose achievements exceed my own.

I'd love (for example) to be friends with MJ ... but to command his respect ... and peak his interest in such a relationship ... I have to earn it first.

I have to show him I can ball in the Fastlane ... and more importantly ... that I have achieved a similar success.

I have to become his equal.

And last I checked (looking at my bank account) ... I'm not.

Not even close.

So rather than fret about where I am today ... I just focus on the task ahead of me.

And as I recall MJ having said in of his videos ... when you succeed ... sucessful people seek you out.

So also it will be with me.

So for now ... I walk through the valley alone. Leaving behind those I don't want to associate with ... and working hard to earn the respect of those who I do.

I'll get there.

Mark my words:

One day MJ ... I'll be sitting in your living room (or vice versa).

Just a matter of time. ;)

Esquire

Divorce Shark
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
244%
Oct 13, 2012
Connecticut
Here's a more "colorful" example:

You want to date a hot chick.

Just one problem:

You're 100 pounds overweight and broke.

Good luck with that.

If you want her to be interested in you ... you had better hit the gym hard ... make the big bucks ... or both.

Might not be overnight ... but if you get in shape ... and bring home the bacon ... you just might have a good shot at getting her to accept.

Now that doesn't mean (in the meantime) you have to mosey on down to the local dive bar and start banging fat chicks who ruin your wood ... it just means you have to "go without" (or "service yourself") until you make yourself sufficiently attractive to warrant mutual interest.

Same in business. Same in friendship.

Luffy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Dec 20, 2014
Is this question posted in response to something someone on the forum said that led you to believe they had that mindset? Or maybe it was some situation you saw IRL? I'd be interested to know.
I've seen in this forum and over the internet aswell, don't know any wantrepreneurs IRL.

OscarDeuce

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
269%
Nov 28, 2014
Northern Virginia
You might find that people more successful than you are interested in mentoring someone who shows the initiative to stand out from the crowd.

Also, people's willingness to show you friendship isn't just about your financial success. It has more to do with who you really are, your demeanor, manners, ability to discuss a wide range of topics intelligently, the list goes on.

Somewhere on this board I posted about how I realized my former hard drinking, brawling, and at times somewhat criminally-inclined friends were not taking me where I wanted to go. You seldom lift them up, they drag you down. So, I set about a deliberate plan to replace them with "people more successful than me" - CEOs and high level executives, Government officials, the dean of the engineering school at a well known university, the list goes on.

Now that I've achieved a good bit of the success I was desiring, I try to pay it back by doing the same to mentor others who want more out of life than a paycheck from a 9-5 job.

Cheers,
O-2

Last edited:

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
Wow, people actually do that? Douchbagery level: 99

Edit: I'm referring to people who cut ties with people less successful than them

Last edited:

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
Mentoring others who want to be successful? You're right, gotta watch that!
I'm referring to people who cut ties with less successful people; I just edited my post to clarify

OscarDeuce

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
269%
Nov 28, 2014
Northern Virginia
Ninja,

I was pulling your chain. Maybe I should clarify as well. No reason to cut ties with people who are "less successful." However, there is every reason to cut ties with people whose choices and lifestyles will prevent you from achieving you goals. If the majority of the people in your life fit that description, they will drag you down unless you have some superhuman willpower, and even then, you may end up a victim of being in the "wrong place at the wrong time."

Cheers,
O-2

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
Ninja,

I was pulling your chain. Maybe I should clarify as well. No reason to cut ties with people who are "less successful." However, there is every reason to cut ties with people whose choices and lifestyles will prevent you from achieving you goals. If the majority of the people in your life fit that description, they will drag you down unless you have some superhuman willpower, and even then, you may end up a victim of being in the "wrong place at the wrong time."

Cheers,
O-2

There's many different areas of success, and I'll assume we're talking about success in business. If you're around someone who isn't an entrepreneur, then they aren't less successful than you, are they? They do their thing, you do yours. If that brings you don't, you're waaaaaaaay too sensitive.

StayOnTop

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Jan 8, 2015
Central New Jersey
I actually just posted a quote about this on Instagram today lol
cd8cc33002470988436b5620e7930c14.jpg

I feel a true person in power helps those who have not yet achieved the success they have.

However, I do believe in distancing yourself from friends is necessary evil (if your friends are not on the same wave length as you or aspire the abundance you do)

Ex: I'd rather work until midnight, go to sleep, get a good workout in bright in the morning and repeat... As opposed to my friends who get high and laugh at geico commercials.. Not for me

If my friends want to learn and change then I am always there for help and a push that we all need. However , if they are oblivious to life , then I'll let them be. We all grow down different paths

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Digamma

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Nov 13, 2014
If you don't like people less successful than you then why do you think people more successful than you would want to be around you?
"If you want to know what a man’s like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." - JK Rowling
You don't cut ties with less successful people, you cut ties with losers. If you don't know the difference, you are one of them. It's not an external factor, is something in their mind.
Hahaha, I like your response though I was thinking more along the lines of aspiring entrepreneurs or wantrepreneurs who cut off good friends because they don't agree on something or have a different world view, not because it's a natural progression.
Those are the same things. You will know when you go through it. The way you think shapes your behavior. One day you will find yourself drinking a beer with your friends and the conversation will make you cringe. You will feel repulsed by the fact you used to think that way.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
If the majority of the people in your life fit that description, they will drag you down unless you have some superhuman willpower, and even then, you may end up a victim of being in the "wrong place at the wrong time."

Bingo! :) Exactly!

ddzc

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
May 22, 2012
Toronto
I believe in cutting off people who get in your way and try to drag you down to the pathetic lives which they live by. I have a friend or two like that...negative energy doesn't go well with me. Cutting off someone who is less successful than you and that being the only reason is stupidity imo.

Shdreams

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Sep 16, 2014
Ontario
Keep your friends. when you crash you need somewhere to land, wealthy or poor. Tell The haters to go fly damn kite. There as useless as Titts on a Bull.

Lathan

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
May 24, 2013
I've wondered this too. People say "successful people hang around other successful people". Where does that leave room for the not successful people to begin hanging with successful people?

Maybe it isn't meant to be taken literal?

BeDoHave

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
154%
Aug 6, 2014
You shouldn't cut ties with your friends solely because they are less successful than you.

However I believe that you should spend less time with them - and instead spend more time with people who are currently on your level (that share similar goals to you) and also people that are miles more successful than you who you can continuously learn from

"If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room".

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
Where does that leave room for the not successful people to begin hanging with successful people?
Hmm...I think that takes a good mentor that that teaches you to be responsible for yourself, and then naturally you just fit in. That's what happen in my case. lol

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.