The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Question for Luxury Yacht Owners

mkzhang

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Sep 30, 2009
Where do you go refuel? Is there refuel depot inside the port?

How long it takes to refuel, and is it just a gas station or similar to a service station with food, shopping and other amenities?

Thanks,

Mike

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Re: Question for Luxury Yatch Owners

Thread moved to OFF TOPIC

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007

Inside what port? It depends upon where you are. Most marinas that offer fuel also offer an assortment of other services.... docks, mooring balls, stores for provisions, restaurants, showers.... etc.

Every where that you go, people will have been there before you and write about this stuff. There are a ton of websites, too, that have maps that show you what services are available where...

mkzhang

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Sep 30, 2009

I've been searching for boat/ship refueling on Google and have come up with near as much as nothing.

Any idea where I can look to find those tons of sites?

Jill

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jan 26, 2008
Frisco, TX (Dallas)

I'm not a luxury yacht owner. But a simple google search including the port of interest and "marina fuel" or "marine services" will provide a good deal of info.

mkzhang

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Sep 30, 2009

I did, Google is not God.

I searched for a major fishing port (Glocester, Mass) and found one one marine fuel depot, and the company's website barely answers what I was looking for.

I am confused as where everyone find those abundant information yet refuses to indulge me.

I am searching every where from Yacht forums to fisherman sites and I have found nata. Maybe this place is the wrong place to ask lol

YoungOne

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
32%
Aug 19, 2008
I did, Google is not God.

I searched for a major fishing port (Glocester, Mass) and found one one marine fuel depot, and the company's website barely answers what I was looking for.

I am confused as where everyone find those abundant information yet refuses to indulge me.

I am searching every where from Yacht forums to fisherman sites and I have found nata. Maybe this place is the wrong place to ask lol

Its only mainly used for USA, but Marinas.com can tell you which ports have fuel and other amenities.

HTH.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Mike-

It also depends on the size of the boat. Some of the newer ones can't fit into the harbors, and have to be refueled remotely (at sea).

Are you trying to figure out operating expenses? Most of my clients had figures based on the # of feet the boat was long. I don't remember what it was, but I can check for you, if this is what you're going after. Each ship has its own set of ideosyncracies. And they were always calculating the costs of full refits/rehabs, which were essential every few years.

Most of boats my clients had (if they were big motor yachts) had full crews, and ran a few million a year just to keep seaworthy/ready for trips. Here's a calculator for newbs (you've prolly already seen this).

Based on the costs of ownership, I would never own a yacht. Many of the owners of these mega-luxe boats rent them out, to defray their costs. It's WAY cheaper to do this than own a yacht (since the owner is often just trying to partly offset their expenses).

Biggest boat I ever worked on was over 300' long, and had a 49 foot beam (yeah, you read that right). Had 2 helipads, as well as a cabin cruiser and a sailboat strapped to the sides. They flew me back and forth to the boatworks in Germany during its construction.

-Russ H.

mkzhang

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Sep 30, 2009
Wow Russ, that is some good info, I will dig into more of what you said... and you sound like you've had a wonderful life with so many cool experiences!

I am not looking into the operating expenses because I can't afford one and I am afraid of water (I can't swim). A company that I had a hand in helping in their IPO (last week) is in this marine fuel business for ships with displacement less than 3000 tons (from a small fishing trawler to a large yacht or a small destroyer), and they want me to help them develop a business plan for their acquisition and supply chain.

Since business is always about customers, I want to learn as much about the customers and their needs / preferences as possible before next week's presentation.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.