The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Protecting an Idea

Idea threads

williell

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
4%
Jan 14, 2009
I have an excellent idea for a non-profit, and I need to find someone to help develop a website. Does anyone have a non-disclosure agreement that I can use to protect my idea?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

dkt91

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
32%
Aug 15, 2008
Lima, Peru
Are you afraid the web developer could steal your idea? I don't think you have to. If he was interested/talented in starting a non-profit he wouldn't have became web developer.

Don't know who said this (I think it was Russ_H): "Ideas are cheap but to take action is priceless".

Nathan

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Sep 18, 2008
Denver, CO
Yea, most people really won't care about your idea. I don't think they'll put as much thought about it as you're thinking. Especially when they hear the words non-profit. You could tell 100 people exact steps how to be wealthy. One would probably follow the steps.

mtnman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Oct 3, 2007
Implement the idea A Fast As Possible, that's how you protect it. Become a major player in the market space.

(not that you shouldn't consider what your asking, but big picture wise, those things have an ending until you have something tangible... kinda like walking the plank; the board runs out)

FreeYourMind

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
May 19, 2008
I agree that it is unlikely the idea will be stolen, but I've too been in a situation where I'd rather be safe than sorry. I have an NDA that I've used in the past just for some reassurance (found it on the web). With that being said, I'm not sure how 'good' it is, but I'll email it to you. If you are still seriously concerned and want true protection, get an attorney involved.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
I'm a developer. People hire me to implement their ideas.

Two major points to make:

1) I don't have time to implement other's ideas. That is not my business.

2) A Non-Disclosure agreement is just that, I promise I won't disclose it with anybody else. But, unless the agreement also establish some type of non-compete, then I don't think it is that strong. AND, if it has a non-compete then I WON'T sign it. There are more clients waiting. Why I will not sign it? Because, if it is something I am already working on, by signing this I just kill my own project.

If you have a real concern about this then I suggest you only discuss you ideas with developers that others recommend to you, so you can trust them up to certain point.

LAbull

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Sep 22, 2007
SoCal

So obvious and something that is quite revealing:
". Writing A Business Plan Improves Your Chances For Success – That 200-page document you labored over (or paid through the nose for) is bad for the environment: a total waste of trees. Despite your best intentions, you will never review your business plan again. A business plan is pure fiction, right down to the five-year revenue projections. Why would you waste your time writing a fictional account of your business, when you could be launching it?"

LAbull

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Sep 22, 2007
SoCal
I have an excellent idea for a non-profit, and I need to find someone to help develop a website. Does anyone have a non-disclosure agreement that I can use to protect my idea?

I have a 3 page NDA/Non Compete/Non Circumvent if you are interested.

PM me and let me know.

Every webdesigner I have worked with signs this.
Every video editor I have worked with signs this.

I agree that VC's won't generally run away with your idea and steal it but
I have found that people have big mouths and if the idea is good enough
why not have someone sign it.

If someone will not sign a non compete then find out why and and make changes in the contract that suits both of you.

Just my 2 pesos.

TaxGuy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Apr 28, 2008
Goodyear, AZ
Too many good posts and sorry if I didn't hit on all of them, but here goes-

Don't know who said this (I think it was Russ_H): "Ideas are cheap but to take action is priceless".

That's MY favorite quote :p

And yes I believe Russ said it first on here.

Implement the idea A Fast As Possible, that's how you protect it. Become a major player in the market space.

What I learned from From Patent to Profit that is applicable is, business is like inventing and as far as patenting goes this country is a "first to invent" not "first to file" which means when the patent is being filed it is not the guy who put in the papers and just sat back and waited for someone else to invent the item before they invented it and took it to market themselves, BUT the person who actually has record of actually inventing which is why documenting your progress is key in any trademark/patent infringement cases. How this relates is that as long as you work on and implement your business FIRST, then no one can steal it and if someone does steal your marketshare and competes then it is upon you to take it back!

And oh yea, it also discusses that if you have outside help, such as engineers and design personnel work on your project that they sign a non-disclosure and in some cases non-compete document.

Great read! I know I have become much more open about discussing ideas since I got more active her, in fact the only thing holding me back is that I haven't put enough time into any of them to really get the input I'm looking for as opposed to being afraid that someone is going to steal it :smxB:

With that in mind the theme of Feb is gonna be "get the ball rolling!" while I'm still trying to close out January to the theme "get some plans together"

I'm a developer. People hire me to implement their ideas.

Two major points to make:

1) I don't have time to implement other's ideas. That is not my business.

2) A Non-Disclosure agreement is just that, I promise I won't disclose it with anybody else. But, unless the agreement also establish some type of non-compete, then I don't think it is that strong. AND, if it has a non-compete then I WON'T sign it. There are more clients waiting. Why I will not sign it? Because, if it is something I am already working on, by signing this I just kill my own project.

If you have a real concern about this then I suggest you only discuss you ideas with developers that others recommend to you, so you can trust them up to certain point.

Great post Andres! I think this sums up the fact that an investor/consultant can have all the money and experience to start a business, but does not have what the entrepreneur has for that business- time and passion :coolgleamA:

williell

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
4%
Jan 14, 2009
Thanks for the advice and the help everyone, I think I will apply a NDA/Non Compete/Non Circumvent agreement. I will be implementing my idea soon, and look forward to showing everyone what I have thought to do.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.