The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

PROGRESS THREAD (James F) Startup #2

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Pat

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jun 14, 2011
World Traveler
I am developing software here at work and it's true that it's never, NEVER as easy as it sounds.

when you start polishing the little bugs, it can take 5 times more time that the rest of the project took... pareto's law.. 80% of the effort for the last 20% of the results.

Also, it's impossible to have all the specs written in advance, you will always fond specs that were not thought of before.

Good points.

Maybe there is a better way?

Maybe have proper project managers and testers as well as just coders. I think translation businesses at least have a translator and an editor.

A freelance site with proper quality control.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

BeachBoy

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Jul 12, 2011
What is working for me is that I have hired a coder "only", I do the logic and the database. He creates the interface.

There's no way he could've created the database and logic correctly from the start, just by giving him all the features and specs I wanted. And he would def. agree on that. No one know better than myself how it needs to work to be successful (it's a interface to gather production data from the shop floor, barcode based)

I spend about 4-6h per week with him, the rest he works by himself.

I'm not sure how it could've been done remotely (i.e. with a freelancer), but I think nailing a method to work efficiently and remotely might make the freelance stuff much better. Maybe a way that the manager can see daily the coder's work done, instead of just submitting milestones?

James Fake

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
May 4, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
I totally agree with everyone's point. And I came to another realization when I was hanging out with a friend. They said the 'glue' that's often missing in freelance jobs is a project manager. They rely on the user to be a project manager who often times has 1) no idea about the technical side of things and 2) have no idea how to manage a web project.

Great points. Will have to hit the drawing board once this baby is launched.

James Fake

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
May 4, 2009
Las Vegas, NV

Brander

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Jun 3, 2011
Australia, USA, Europe
I liked development but dreaded the time when the code would be put to the test by idiots

And this is the main problem with developers, they think they know more than whoever hired them, most of the time they are extremely uncreative and/or stuck in their ways to see that the project exists because the customer has to have things work in a certain way. I agree that a lot of customers do not know what they want, but a few of us do and we spot excuses and BS from a mile away.

If I have to test every little thing myself and the deliverables are complete useless and filled with bugs, I know that the developer doesn't care if it works or not, just that he gets paid. If I have to micro manage them and test the code for them before it's really done, I'd rather do the whole thing myself in less time it takes me babysitting a developer.

tincho1492

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Aug 7, 2011
Uruguay
Love the "We're preparing to launch in 7 dog days! that's 1 day in human.." :)

It's me or I see the logo a little stretched?

Great progress, James!

James Fake

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
May 4, 2009
Las Vegas, NV

BeachBoy

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Jul 12, 2011
your whole story is very inspiring, keep it up!

not many people here started .. and continued.. to document their adventure

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
congrats! site looks greats and your blog post is a great read! will create a profile now and definitely try it out in the future as soon as I got some work to give away. keep it up! speed++

911Carrera

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Aug 1, 2011
Congrats. Looks you're already getting many projects listed. Sick..

James Fake

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
May 4, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
Holy smokes guys.. that Hacker News thing skyrocketed things.. Just now being able to sit down and catch up. I'll prob report more later.. but summary is 15,000 unique people visited that blog. and 7,200 unique visits to Freelancify. A bit over 200 signed up freelancer accounts and 11 projects posted.

I feel so blessed!! Definitely thanking the Man upstairs today! :Angel_anim: Now, more hard work to keep things going..

Rand Fiskin gave me a shoutout tweet to Freelancify! That was super cool!

James Fake

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
May 4, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
Just picked up the .net and .org for Freelancify. And also the most obvious mispelling Freelancefy.com (shoutouts to roark for that suggestion)

BeachBoy

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Jul 12, 2011
woudl second the idea of thumbs up, thumbs down for projects

also def. a spam report button as there was some fake ones there.

ToddB

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Oct 9, 2011
Indiana
James - I've been following this thread for a while and it's great to see you've launched. Very inspiring and I wish you much success !

Pat

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jun 14, 2011
World Traveler
Newlines would help the profile description...

I wanted to write a little CV but it quickly gets messy without at least newlines (basic html formatting would be awesome)

James Fake

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
May 4, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
it's been crazy my way this week.. two articles went viral and trying to keep up. have over 300 signed up freelancers and 17ish projects. I'll try to post details once things settle a bit.

CMCarlin

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jan 30, 2008
im curious as to what the articles are? Is that worth sharing?

James Fake

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
May 4, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
Hey fastlaners,
In need of some serious advice here. Thinking of doing a slight pivot..

Do you think by restricting freelancers from bidding only when they are invited is adding too much filter?

I bring this up because I've noticed that there's been great discussions and activity from the freelancers, but it seems the project posters aren't as engaged or enthusiastic because they are not seeing benefits fast enough.

In general, people are lazy, and want instant gratification. They want to do one bit of work (ex. Post a job initially) and then they want to see immediate results by seeing bids flooded to them. I don't think most people want to take the extra step of combing through comments and send invites out. And when they don't do that; projects go dead.

On the other hand; by opening bids up to everyone... This would make me almost the same exact with Elance/oDesk and nothing really sets Freelancify apart (other than, maybe better design/UI, social discussion forum boards, and just out hustling in marketing to gain projects/users). But will those 3 I just stated be enough? (I mean Apple pretty much beat everyone else by almost Design and UI alone)

Could I somehow make the experience better? Better support? Better guides? Something?

Thank you for listening, and look forward to your great help as always,
James F.

Icy

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Feb 16, 2009
On the other hand; by opening bids up to everyone... This would make me almost the same exact with Elance/oDesk and nothing really sets Freelancify apart (other than, maybe better design/UI, social discussion forum boards, and just out hustling in marketing to gain projects/users). But will those 3 I just stated be enough? (I mean Apple pretty much beat everyone else by almost Design and UI alone)

I disagree - I believe apple is doing well because is it a 'cool', premium product rather than exceptional ui\design. I don't feel their ui\design is far beyond any other popular os. Kind of like something like dr. dre headphones you pay a premium for a feeling rather than quality.

Could I somehow make the experience better? Better support? Better guides? Something?

I have any specific idea's on how to incorporate this easily, but requiring a spec when posting a job, and not allowing people to post something absurd, with a budget of 500$ is a must. All I see on other freelance sites is everyone wanting to create the next FB with a budget of 500$. Removing that crap will make good developers more apt to use your site.

The tricky part is doing something like that without making it a hassle for the people posting jobs. Perhaps a quick 'questionaire'. If someone checks a custom wordpress theme, you can easily assume the budget for that will be much less than a custom website. Can you design something to guide someone posting a job to make it more clear in their head what they need, and use that to set a baseline budget. Allow them to post something for less than the budget, but in that case it needs to go through a 'review process'?

Those are just thoughts that were typed out as that came into mind.

Edit: On the homepage it has a 'top category' section. I want to be able to click on those and see jobs in those sections. :p

Brander

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Jun 3, 2011
Australia, USA, Europe
The tricky part is doing something like that without making it a hassle for the people posting jobs. Perhaps a quick 'questionaire'. If someone checks a custom wordpress theme, you can easily assume the budget for that will be much less than a custom website. Can you design something to guide someone posting a job to make it more clear in their head what they need, and use that to set a baseline budget. Allow them to post something for less than the budget, but in that case it needs to go through a 'review process'?:p

This is a sound recommendation in my opinion. What about commenting and asking questions in the thread (Q&A) even if they are not invited, BUT can bid only IF invited.

James Fake

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
May 4, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
@Icy - so you are saying to remove the filter and let everyone be able to bid regardless of invite or not?

@roark - yes, that's how it currently works. Everybody is able to join in on any discussion, it's only those invited from those discussions that get to send a bid.

911Carrera

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Aug 1, 2011
I think allowing workers to bid freely on projects is the way to go. People want to see bids asap and don't want to scroll thru discussions and invite workers most of the time. Part of re-inventing the wheel should be to make it easier for people to get stuff done, not harder. As you can see, projects are dying so you know what to do. I want to see your site succeed. So what you're like odesk and elance? Beat them on customer service, marketing, etc...Don't re-invent the wheel just to be different. You're in the business of meeting needs and making money, not being different.

Icy

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Feb 16, 2009
@Icy - so you are saying to remove the filter and let everyone be able to bid regardless of invite or not?

What I mean is to some how filter out posts that have obnoxiously low budgets, for example:

Website Development
Drupal Developer to work on existing Drupal 6 Site

Those budgets, for those types of things just don't align with the scope of the projects. Is there a way you can set up a frustrating filtering process to get rid of 'crap' postings.

For example have a check box for clone\custom websites - and set a base line for either. Custom sites will certainly cost more.

I don't have a specific examples on how set up filtering so it feels like it's part of the posting process, and not be frustrating, but any serious about fulfilling anothers job, once they see such low budgets for intensive projects I'm sure they'll be turned away. Perhaps make your site the *premium* site for freelancing rather than allowing anything to go?

Just some random thoughts on it. Does that make sense?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.