The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

[PROGRESS THREAD] Gaming Peripherals

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Genium

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
87%
Jan 6, 2013
Hello forum,

Over the past couple of months, my brother and I have been building a gaming peripherals brand. Our products are not only for the hardcore PC gamer, but also for casual computer users.

The industry is huge, and there is a huge need, and always will be. The PC gaming industry is massive. According to Intel, the estimated amount of pc gamers worldwide (from hardcore to casual) sits between 200 and 350 million. That is a huge industry, and every gamer I know buys a new mouse/keyboard/headset at the very least; every 2 years. All we need is 0.5% of the industry ;)

We are not in a position to reveal the brand name, logo, or any product specifics, but I can tell you that the logo is "gamer-certified" as BADASS! along with the company name. Gamers care about this stuff a lot. It helps that we are both gamers ourselves and we are building products that we would want, which in turn should translate into other gamers loving the result.

We are close to getting samples, and then it'll be time to develop our awesome Kickstarter campaign and begin our YouTube productions, while also building a smiple but really creative landing page for the campaign.

Our marketing focus is providing gamers with high-tech, vehicle-inspired, edgy peripherals that have awesome specifications. It's really fun, building this company. Taking a while due to the focus on my kitchenware brand, but it will be picking up soon.

I will keep this thread updated as much as we have anything interesting to share :)

If you are a gamer, please make yourself known on this thread. Would be great to get some feedback from fellow gamers.

Thanks all!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Ikke

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Jul 20, 2012
Netherlands
I used to play games alot and I never cared for the logo or brand name. Neither did I buy new hardware every 2 years.

Sent from my GT-I8350 using Tapatalk

MattCour

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Aug 17, 2012
NY
Awesome to hear man! I see very few threads regarding gaming or hardware so this will be cool to watch! I had no idea the market was that massive!

Genium

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
87%
Jan 6, 2013
I used to play games alot and I never cared for the logo or brand name. Neither did I buy new hardware every 2 years.

Well, I buy a new mouse like every year, when new ones come out, but then there's the other side of the spectrum. At the bottom line, I have a bigger chance of repeat customers than my knife company does, since my knives last forever lol

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
550%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I was huge into gaming for a while. I personally focused mostly on the console side of things but I absolutely know my way around PC Gaming and that side of the industry as well. If you want my opinion on anything, just shout.

All we need is 0.5% of the industry

Just please be cautious about this line of thinking. This is how so many people fail. They say "we just need a fraction of 1% and we'll be huge!" and then they overlook quality, let things slide, focus on the wrong activities and they find themselves unable to give their product away to their own friends, let alone find a handful of real buyers in the market.

Make the product the BEST you can make it. Great marketing will only cause a bad product to fail faster.

Genium

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
87%
Jan 6, 2013
Just please be cautious about this line of thinking. This is how so many people fail. They say "we just need a fraction of 1% and we'll be huge!" and then they overlook quality, let things slide, focus on the wrong activities and they find themselves unable to give their product away to their own friends, let alone find a handful of real buyers in the market.

Make the product the BEST you can make it. Great marketing will only cause a bad product to fail faster.

I agree, and understand. It was more of a surprise to see how "potentially" big the market is, that's all. My focus is making a great line of products for our Kickstarter and trust me, my brother is very picky about making these mouses perfect for gamers. They will be bad*ss, honestly it'll come down to marketing. The product definitely sticks out from Logitech, and standard mouses, by far :)

It will be interesting. I have had several gamers just see our pictures and say "damn, I want that!" :)

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
550%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
It will be interesting. I have had several gamers just see our pictures and say "damn, I want that!"

Is it Razer Sexy?

I don't know how relevant they still are in the PC market but Razer for the longest time had easily the "sexiest" gaming peripheral ads and photos out there.

healthstatus

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Apr 11, 2011
Indianapolis, IN USA
You may want to go to the creators of some of the games. My son works for a good sized indie studio (I know, I am ancient) but he gets offers from companies to use their stuff in his booth at PAX and other shows. You get exposure and brand association with some great companies and titles that way. Steam approached him recently about modifying their game to fully support the new steam controller they are coming out with.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
550%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
If you can get a mention on Penny Arcade that could be a huge, huge boost as well.

Try to reach out to Robert Khoo to see if that's an option.

Ravens_Shadow

THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
643%
Oct 2, 2012
Austin, TX
Only thing thats old on my gaming PC (this one) is my keyboard, its a logitech from 2001, and has yet to break. However my mouse generally goes out after about 2 1/2 years and my headset breaks within a year from getting snagged or something. Currently the sound doesnt work for it, only the mic. Hardware just breaks too damn easy.

As for graphics cards etc, I only buy a new one if i start lagging behind on performance with the years upcoming games. I currently have a GTX 550 ti, which can max out plenty of games, but its getting old. I'll be looking at a GTX 780 real soon.

Oven

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
131%
Oct 31, 2013
I used to play games a lot, I still occasionally do but I have a lot of friends that regularly play games. I'm looking forward to seeing your kickstarter, if you'd like some opinions or something I could ask my friends to take a look since they are exactly your target market.

Gale4rc

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Sep 23, 2013
So you're making a set of mouses? The Razor has a good hold on the market. Of course the big guys have been beat by the smaller guys many, many times. I'm excited to see what you got :)

pande

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
35%
Nov 5, 2013
Keep in mind that the computer gaming industry is drying up compared to years ago. Console games are winning the battle and now mobile games are taking a slice of the cake. That, and computer competitive gaming has also been going south. And I have used the same mouse for about 7 years. MX518, great mouse. I used to play competitive gaming. I've travelled to out of state competitions and played online in the coveted CAL-I league :).

Good luck with your venture!

Mike Kavanagh

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Aug 17, 2013
Headsets are my major downfall...

If anyone one wants to make one with a retractable cord that would be bad-a$$. Though I don't play video games as much as I once did...

Genium

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
87%
Jan 6, 2013
So you're making a set of mouses? The Razor has a good hold on the market. Of course the big guys have been beat by the smaller guys many, many times. I'm excited to see what you got :)

Razer doesn't scare us. We know what power they hold but there are some problems (that me and my brother have noticed just being a customer) that they have that our company will capitalize on.

We have a deal with a massive game that is in development right now, that could do big things for our brand. That's just the beginning and I did that without a product. It will be interesting :)

Genium

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
87%
Jan 6, 2013
Headsets are my major downfall...

If anyone one wants to make one with a retractable cord that would be bad-a$$. Though I don't play video games as much as I once did...

That may happen ;) Was thinking of something even better, however I am not going to disclose the idea, as it will be done soon :)

exige

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Aug 20, 2013
Bucks County, PA
Well, I haven't really "gamed" in a long time, but I am more of a simmer - Flight Sim, DCS:Black Shark, etc. And when I was travelling a lot for business I always wished I had a mini-flight stick that would clip on to the edge of my notebook with a real throttle slider. Something small enough or maybe collapsible, to fit in the computer bag. Probably not a big enough market... Maybe a mini-gamepad. I tried travelling with a full size gamepad once, but the knobs made it bulky in the bag...Hmm, I wonder if there's a usb old-school NES controller. Anyway, I guess in short my suggestion is mobile gaming devices for ultrabooks and laptops.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.