• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 40,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

FORUM SEARCH

Get answers about starting a business from real entrepreneurs. Powered by Google.

EXECUTION Progress Thread - Cloud Niche

Discussion in 'Progress/Execution Threads' started by DisLife, May 23, 2018.

1. DisLife

DisLife New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $55
    So I've had an account on this forum for a long, long time. I've started a few business in that time, most of them didn't generate enough income to hold my interest for long and I closed them down. I ended up figuring out that I was starting these business for the sake of starting businesses. I didn't care enough about what I was doing to keep at it.

Last year, I partnered with a couple of co-workers to start a business. Each of us brings an area of expertise to the company. Currently, we have a few hundred dollars of profit. Not enough for us to live on, so we each still have day jobs.

The business is centered around Oracle products. Both their cloud based and on premise offerings. We were all working for the same company solving issues for their clients, so we had pretty good first hand knowledge of what most of these types of customers would need.

We've now reached a point where I feel I need to keep applying the pressure as we've plateaued on acquiring new customers, which is why I started this thread. I believe this is an opportunity that will actually payoff if I just keep at it.

I've already tapped everyone on my network to let them know what I'm doing. That's what lead to the early customer sales. My next step is to start building a real sales funnel. I'm just not sure yet how to do this since I'm targeting businesses instead of the masses.

Anyways, thanks for reading. I hope to have some updates soon.

Kid likes this.
  2. Late Bloomer

Late Bloomer Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $3,885
    Hi Dis (I didn't see your actual name?). I've also used the Oracle RDBMS and PL/SQL in corporate development jobs. There are at least a few more database geeks on the forum. I took a quick look at your previous posts and it looks like you've tried several things in business. Congratulations on getting a team and starting a business that's profitable! As you know that's farther than many people get!

I see some good news and some bad news about this. As you know well, Oracle sells incredibly complicated products to organizations with a lot of money. Then many of them buy third party help, like yours. That's good news. The bad news is that Oracle could squash the little guys offering services or companion products. They could buy out a company like yours for millions of dollars, but they could also develop exactly the same products and services internally and wipe out the third party market. This makes me wonder if it might be smart for you to also handle some other Big Enterprise Data systems like Microsoft's SQL Server, Postgres, etc., so no one elephant could stomp you as it dances its own tune.

Another user just started a thread on sales funnels and there's not much action yet. Why not jump in there?

3. ay47

ay47 Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $998
    Ok you weren't very clear on what you’ve tried. I’m assuming you guys are in the services business. But let me give this a shot. I'm in B2B sales in my slowlane job.

I would start with target personas. B2B sales center around champions and decision makers. What does your ideal persona look like?

B2B Sales funnels are very high touch.

I would first start with finding where your target personas hang out and their method of consuming information. Go on LinkedIn and you can find that out pretty easily.

Late Bloomer likes this.
  4. DisLife

DisLife New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $55
    Thanks for the quick replies! (I'm Maynard, btw)

You hit the nail on the head with Oracle. Their software is so complicated that there will always be opportunities for a third party to step in somewhere to help out. If what I'm doing now becomes unfeasible, there's always a way for me to pivot to something else related. I was actually talking to a company a few weeks ago that decided to buy a $10k piece of software to automate log shipping archive logs instead 1) Using data guard or 2) writing a script to do it manually...

As for what I've tried so far, my efforts have been concentrated around using/building relationships.
    1) I've sent customized private messages to everyone in my linkedIn network to let them know what I'm doing. A year later, this led to an old coworker from 8 years ago contact me about hosting a tool (using postgres) his company is developing to sell to their clients. I've gotten a favorable response so far, but that probably won't pan out for a couple of months.
    2) I've kept in contact with people at the consulting company I used to work at. I've given them all a stack of my business cards and told them I'd pay a finder's fee if they referred a company that signed up with my services.
    3) I just started implementing the ideas that Andy wrote about in a thread on using forums How to use forums (and Facebook groups) Working on building my credibility and contributing to the community.

I got sidetracked looking for that sales funnel thread. Too much good stuff on this forum...

I'm trying to find some local business group meetings to attend. I saw one a few weeks ago on one of my linkedIn feeds, but I couldn't make that one.

Late Bloomer likes this.
  5. Late Bloomer

Rep Bank:
    $3,885
    Great!

Oh and.. hi Maynard! Are you now living in Paris, or is the profile shot from tourist time?

Wouldn't it be great to be the company selling that $10k software?? How did they do it?

Sounds like you've got that covered well. Now to add people who haven't met you yet, but will be happy to get to know an expert like yourself.

The Beginner's Guide To The Sales Funnel

I suggest you do both business and technology groups. There maybe people in a database or dev group, who would like to learn or share Oracle tips and news about who's looking for a consultant.

6. DisLife

DisLife New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $55
    Actions taken this week (what I'm doing to build up my reputation):
    1) Invited 100 people that I've met as a consultant on my previous job to join my network on LinkedIn. These are people that work with the Oracle software that I offer services with, so they are my target market.
    2) Made a few posts on LinkedIn that highlighted the work I've been doing with my company. Saw an immediate boost of people in my network taking the time to read my profile and then click through to my website.
    3) Started posting answers to questions in a few technical forums on the Oracle community boards. Give back to that community.
    4) Attended an in person networking meeting. I'm not 100% sure that's going to be a good resource for me. The type of referrals you get there seem to be more consumer based and local. It might still pan out for 1 or 2 business referrals, but I'm not banking on it. Will try to foster a relationship with the group moving forward anyway.
    5) I started writing an article that highlights some of the problems or gotcha's companies would have moving their back-office systems to the cloud, then I ran across a similar article that zdnet (Cloud computing migration: More expensive and complicated than you thought | ZDNet) put out at the end of last year. I'll use that as a way to lend credence to my own article.

Late Bloomer likes this.
  7. Late Bloomer

Rep Bank:
    $3,885
    Awesome! I recommend you look up Elsom Eldrige's book "How to become the obvious expert." (He was giving it away on his web site for a while.) His advice would be perfect for you. He talks about all of these techniques and a few more.

DisLife likes this.
  8. DisLife

DisLife New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $55
    Thanks for the recommendation.