ChickenHawk
Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
LEGACY MEMBER
MEMBER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
I have no background like yours and I'm suddenly wondering what I'm thinking? Wow...the ability to give up before I even start. We have to start somewhere but I'm confused I see some people are using ghost writers and I am maybe confused. I want the fastlane..I'd like this to be the vehicle but I may be completely unqualified at best or off my rocker at worst. I don't have 3 books in my head, I don't know if I can even write 2000 words a day. I have a day job. I never thought about writing fiction until this forum. It has opened up something for me and in me. I was all excited, now I'm scared.
I think it's natural to be scared. If nothing else, it's pretty obvious that you have an excellent command of spelling and grammar. I know that sounds minor, but IMO, that's a huge head-start and becoming an increasingly rare skill these days.
Something that I now realize gave me a head start (aside from my writing background) is that I've always been a huge fiction-reader. If you've read a lot of books, and have a certain genre you favor, this can also be a head start for you, too, particularly if your favorite genre is hot. If you're not a huge fiction fan, that's definitely not a deal breaker though. Our very own @Held for Ransom, who started it all, wasn't a big fiction fan, and he's been our trail-blazer and role model.
About the ghost-writing model, I'm honestly not a big fan. And I mean no disrespect to those who are. There are some incredibly smart, nice, and hard-working people right here on this forum who have taken that route, with positive results. When I'm out from under this writing deadline, I might start a thread about it, but in the meantime, I'll say that a big reason I'm not a fan of the ghost-writing model is that every single writer has his/her own unique voice, a certain way of telling a story.
If you use ghost-writers as opposed to doing the writing yourself, it can be very hard to duplicate that experience for the reader, unless you either: use the same exact ghost-writer every time, have a team of incredibly skilled ghost-writers who are following a preset style, or you're one hell of a skilled editor that can make all your books sound like they were written by the same person.
If you're in doubt, though, just dive in! If you can just finish a novel, you'll be way ahead of those who only dream of of it. And if your results aren't what you want (as mine were under my first pen name), you can abandon that pen name and try something else.
Either way, welcome and best of luck to you!
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
