The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

[PROGRESS THREAD] ChickenHawk's Self-Published Fiction EBooks

LisaK

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Mar 2, 2014
If you have no huge preference, it might be a good idea to look at the top sellers in whichever genre you're planning to pursue,and then follow their lead. As for me personally, I absolutely love writing in the first person, and feel like I do a better job in first as opposed to third. Of the eight books I've written, seven were in the first person, and one was in the third. In a happy coincidence of timing, first person seems to be preferred in my genre.

If you find that you have a strong preference in third versus first, you could also make that a factor in which genre you choose to pursue. If my current genre falls out of fashion, and I have to do a switcharoo, I'll probably try pretty hard to find a genre which also favors the first person.

It sounds like you might naturally gravitate toward first person, so if you want, you could just make sure you pick a good genre where first person is preferred, and take it from there. Hope this helps!

Thanks- I've decided to go with first person this go around.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

LisaK

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Mar 2, 2014
Another good point. For the record, I wasn't trying to discourage the poster...I consider those relatively harmless hazards if you handle them correctly. It's not like it's going to cost you your life savings to get into the game.

I didn't feel discouraged. I don't want to re-invent the wheel. I'd rather learn from others experiences than wonder around bumping into walls and wasting precious time.

ChickenHawk

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
468%
Aug 16, 2012
Butt in Chair
Well, I'm a little nervous. My second book under this pen name is officially written and edited. I'll be releasing it within just a couple of days. I've been saying for weeks that this is a "make-or-break" book, because the first one surprised me so much, results-wise. Let's just hope this turns out to be more "make" than "break."

It ended up over 80,000 words, most of that written within the last month. Needless to say, I haven't done a whole lot of cooking...or cleaning...or bathing. If anyone came to the door, they'd surely think, "Oh God, what a lazy hag!" because I'm still in my "jammies" at noon and haven't yet washed my hair. I may need Botox to erase this perpetually scared-shitless look from my face.

In less disturbing news, the rank for book #1 is still hovering around #1,000. I'll be interested to see what happens within the next month.

mossie

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
235%
Jun 20, 2013
CH I have been quietly following your progress. You are a huge inspiration to me and many others here. I will be very surprised if this second book is not taking you to the doorsteps of a few Hollywood producers! :) All the best with the launch I am sure you will cream it!

LeftBench

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
316%
Jul 16, 2013
NJ
I'm sure you will have much success with book 2 and will continue to have success with book 1. Time to sit back, enjoy the success and watch the money roll in. While grinding and writing book 3, of course ;-)

LeftBench

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
316%
Jul 16, 2013
NJ
Oh yes I forgot to say, congratulations on meeting your deadline!

COSenior

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jun 22, 2013
Colorado
CH, your last post made me literally laugh out loud because the description could have been me. I've actually pretended not to be home and refused to answer the door for the very same reason. Hey, writing makes money, showering and washing hair doesn't, right? LOL

Sweetie, you KNOW the next book is going to go bonkers. Thousands of readers, including myself, want to know how your story works out. Publish it, forget about it and start thinking up the next plot. Your readers are going to be insatiable.

Thriftypreneur

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Jun 8, 2013
Well, I'm a little nervous. My second book under this pen name is officially written and edited. I'll be releasing it within just a couple of days. I've been saying for weeks that this is a "make-or-break" book, because the first one surprised me so much, results-wise. Let's just hope this turns out to be more "make" than "break."

It ended up over 80,000 words, most of that written within the last month. Needless to say, I haven't done a whole lot of cooking...or cleaning...or bathing. If anyone came to the door, they'd surely think, "Oh God, what a lazy hag!" because I'm still in my "jammies" at noon and haven't yet washed my hair. I may need Botox to erase this perpetually scared-shitless look from my face.

In less disturbing news, the rank for book #1 is still hovering around #1,000. I'll be interested to see what happens within the next month.

Not sure what you're nervous about. Sounds like you're really underestimating the value of the email list you created with your first book. With 1000+ subscribers and a blast to them on release day, I'd expect book 2 to shoot up the charts faster than book 1 did. That email list is your most valuable asset and it reduces a lot of "luck" from the equation. With 200, 300, 500 sales coming from that list right around release date, Amazon's algos should show you a lot of love. Personally, I'll be really surprised if Book 2's launch is anything shy of Book 1's.

Just don't forget to update front/back matter of your books to link to each other.

COSenior

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jun 22, 2013
Colorado

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
Well.... someone's sleeping fine tonight :D

Congrats on a job well done! Would love to hear about your mail list numbers in a few days after more people open it up.

ChickenHawk

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
468%
Aug 16, 2012
Butt in Chair
Thanks so much for all the encouragement! I'm so very, very thankful for it! And boy, I've gotta admit, I'm also really thankful to see this book doing well out of the gate. For anyone who's curious, here is an interim status update:

Quick First Day Stats: (At 23-Hour Point)
  • Books Sold: About 1,200 Worldwide. (900 U.S., 300 Other)
  • Mailing List: Over 1,300 people

Some Related Observations/Theories:
  • About the Rank of This Book: I'm guessing the rank will drop after this initial burst, because most of these early sales must be from people on my mailing list, or readers who were actively watching for it. If this happens, hopefully, the rank will go up again after the book's "also boughts" get populated. I'm really, reeeeally crossing my fingers to hit the top 100 with this one. But if it doesn't happen, I'll have to try all that much harder with the next one!
  • About the Rank of the Previous book: This new book has slightly boosted the rank of my previous book. Before this latest release, book #1 had fallen to #1,500. Now it's around #1,000 again. I do think, though, that many of these early sales are coming from people who already read the first book and were eager for the follow-up. If sales of book#1 do get a serious boost, I bet it will happen later down the road, once again, after the also-boughts populate. And of course, even a rank of #1,500 feels like a dream come true, so I'm definitely not complaining!
  • A Sales Trend Prediction: Just a prediction, but I'm betting that the sales of this book will be stronger during the first 30 days, and then taper more quickly. Meaning, that if my total sales numbers for book #2 are similar to those from book #1, I think I'll see more of those sales on the early side, which will lead to a higher early peak and a lower valley down the road.
In a Personal Note: In totally unrelated news, I went to the grocery store for the very first time this month. Then, I actually made dinner as opposed to us getting takeout. My husband and son were like, "Oh wow! She's cooking again! Whooohooo!" You'll all be relieved to hear that I even washed my hair.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hicks

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Aug 28, 2013
UK

LeftBench

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
316%
Jul 16, 2013
NJ
Congrats CH!!! How much does this book cost? That's a great first day!!!

ChickenHawk

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
468%
Aug 16, 2012
Butt in Chair
Thanks so much, everyone!

Congrats CH!!! How much does this book cost? That's a great first day!!!
The book is priced at $2.99, and depending on the country, I get 70% of that, which makes me very, very thankful!

Ha! If I were them, I'd be cooking dinner for you so you could keep churning out the hot sellers!
No kidding! They're willing, but alas, I'm not sure I'd be willing to eat anything they'd make! Except for grilling. My husband is a heck of a griller!

Thriftypreneur

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Jun 8, 2013
Looks like the next 30 days might be a $30-40k month for ya! Wow! Congrats!

Last edited by a moderator:

ChickenHawk

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
468%
Aug 16, 2012
Butt in Chair
I see you on the forum and not writing the next one!! - channeling HFR :D
Hah! I'm pretty sure if I started the next one right now, my brain would melt! Other than some admin stuff, I'm taking a week or so off, spending some quality time with the family and getting caught up on some long-neglected house stuff.

Releasing the books IS definitely addicting though!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.