The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

[PROGRESS THREAD] ChickenHawk's Self-Published Fiction EBooks

Thriftypreneur

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Jun 8, 2013
On the new pen name, I'm 20K words into a novel that has a very deep pool of buyers. Plus, I'm reworking a previous novel into a trilogy in this same genre. It will likely be a few weeks (maybe longer, depending on the day job) before I can hit publish on either of these, but I can't wait to see the results.

I like it. Very interested to see how you progress with the new pen name in a different genre. :thumbsup:

Are you promoting your promotions in any way? I found my KDP select free days (with no outside promotion) to not really be worth the 90-day exclusivity.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ChickenHawk

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
468%
Aug 16, 2012
Butt in Chair
Are you promoting your promotions in any way? I found my KDP select free days (with no outside promotion) to not really be worth the 90-day exclusivity.
In the past, I haven't promoted them in any way. For this one, I submitted it to a small handful of Web sites. Hard to say if they'll even promote it, but I figured it was worth a try.

I like it. Very interested to see how you progress with the new pen name in a different genre.
I agree. This will be a good experiment, and hopefully useful to others here on the forum too. I wish I'd started in this new genre instead, but until I hit that publish button a few times, it'll be hard to say for sure.

Held for Ransom

Butt In Chair
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
436%
Apr 22, 2013
Denver, CO
Don't forget to work on that list CH... Put the link to your newsletter in the front matter as well as the back matter. That is like money in the bank over the long run.

Each time I put out something new now it means a placement in HNRs as soon as I hit publish. It all comes from the list.

I'm very interested to hear how the new pen name/genre goes!

ChickenHawk

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
468%
Aug 16, 2012
Butt in Chair
Don't forget to work on that list CH... Put the link to your newsletter in the front matter as well as the back matter. That is like money in the bank over the long run.

Here's a question for anyone who wants to chime in...The reason I haven't done this already is because (surprise, surprise...for anyone who hasn't guessed already, hah!) that my genre is kid's books (ages 9-12).

I've been hesitant to ask for email addresses because I know from my dreaded day job that there are all kinds of rules and guidelines when you collect information from Kids or correspond with Kids. I've taken the approach of better safe than sorry, and have avoided asking for any contact information. But maybe I'm being too cautious? I do know that technically, I could make it clear that I'm asking for parent's information, but still, I've been reluctant.

When I start the adult pen name, I'll definitely ask for emails right off the bat, but for now, I'm still unsure. What to do, what to do...?

(Also, in my worst nightmares, I get my lists mixed up and accidentally send erotic promos to a bunch of gradeschoolers. I'm very careful, so I doubt that would happen, but sheesh!)

Held for Ransom

Butt In Chair
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
436%
Apr 22, 2013
Denver, CO
CH,

If you are planning on moving on from kids stuff, I wouldn't even bother with the list for them. But, I think if you did go that direction, it's really no different than Toys R Us or whatever collecting names. Mostly it's parents signing up for these lists anyway.

Just be smart about it. If you need to, maybe talk to a lawyer about what you need to do to protect yourself?

When I start the adult pen name, I'll definitely ask for emails right off the bat, but for now, I'm still unsure. What to do, what to do...?

(Also, in my worst nightmares, I get my lists mixed up and accidentally send erotic promos to a bunch of gradeschoolers. I'm very careful, so I doubt that would happen, but sheesh!)

You can filter those lists! Nothing to worry about... Just get those those names when you crank out that Romance stuff. Don't let those bugaboos hold you back. Those Romance lists will pay for your vacations, your kids' braces and everything else you can possibly imagine.

Think it through... do what you think is smart but make sure that you DO IT above all else.

Those names are the the secret sauce to being a lazy writer and making bank on Kindle...

Thriftypreneur

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Jun 8, 2013
You're certainly right. For most people, it's not really a big issue, but it's wise to know what's what.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Children's_Online_Privacy_Protection_Act

As I understand it, simply adding a line of text such as "Please do not subscribe if you are under 13 years of age." is usually sufficient to cover your bases, but not absolute.

Really, if you want to get into FTC territory on what is and isn't in violation of their guidelines, I'd imagine a huge majority of authors out there are in violation in some form or another. Either with their website policies and legal pages, their email list signup information disclosures, or both. I'm sure I could pull random websites from Kboards authors and find violations on all of them. Most DIY'ers don't know the legal bits that come with web publishing and information collection.

The FTC's complete Digital Advertising Guidelines for 2013: http://www.ftc.gov/os/2013/03/130312dotcomdisclosures.pdf

Really, if you collect information of any kind from anyone (whether it's cookie tracking or an email address) you're supposed to disclose, what that information will be used for, how it will be protected, and how they can delete/remove their information from whatever cookie database/email list/customer database/etc. I do this by simply telling my readers what I'm going to do with their emails, how often they'll hear from me, and that they get the unsubscribe link in every email, etc.

For the most part, even if you become a best-selling author, it's highly unlikely you'll ever have legal/FTC issues arise from your email list/website usage. But, as always, if you're worried about it, best to consult a lawyer rather than take advice from people online (like me).

ChickenHawk

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
468%
Aug 16, 2012
Butt in Chair
Been following your thread along with HFRs.

Subbed. Great work! Keep going!

Thanks so much! It's been really exciting to see the progress of all the self-pubbers here on the forum. I haven't been chiming in much on the threads because I've been busy writing, but I've been lurking, bigtime. Lots of exciting stuff going on! Aaaaaand, this reminds me that it's probably time to do an update...

Adult Series: I'm plugging away on a series of adult novels that fall in the romance/slight erotica genre. I'm about 35K words into a new story that I'll probably publish in two parts. And when I get some free time, (hah!), I'm also modifying a prior work that I'm looking to publish as a trilogy.

Kids Series: I recently redid the covers and titles of my two under-performing kids books. It seems to have resulted in a slight, positive bump, but it's too soon to tell how lasting the impact might be. When I'm done tweaking them, I still plan to publish printed-copies, because I think that's one reason my sales aren't terribly impressive. Unlike erotica, I think kids books fare better in hard copy. We'll see though...

Held for Ransom

Butt In Chair
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
436%
Apr 22, 2013
Denver, CO
I'm plugging away on a series of adult novels that fall in the romance/slight erotica genre

Just FYI CH, if you pick Erotica as a category, it will be the only one they will put the title in. If that's what you want, fine but otherwise, maybe scour the Romance sub cats.

If you do, don't forget that certain KWs can trigger inclusion into a bunch of them. I think Britni had a post about that a while back. Maybe I am mistaken.

Unlike erotica, I think kids books fare better in hard copy.

There's an awful pun in there somewhere. I write too much Romance. What's everybody else's excuse?

Breaking Free

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Aug 4, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
There's an awful pun in there somewhere. I write too much Romance. What's everybody else's excuse?

I write urban fantasy, so let's see...

Something-something Hogwarts, something sparkly vampires something.

britnidanielle

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Aug 24, 2013
Los Angeles
If you do, don't forget that certain KWs can trigger inclusion into a bunch of them. I think Britni had a post about that a while back. Maybe I am mistaken.

Yeah, I used KWs and got into several romance sub-categories for my 'Bad Dates' series.

ChickenHawk

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
468%
Aug 16, 2012
Butt in Chair
Update: I'm 42,000 words into my new project, which I plan to issue as a serial. The genre is romance/new adult/light erotica.

Thought for the Day: Someday, when (hopefully not IF) this pays off, I know people will think I'm "lucky." But I've gotta tell you, it's so hard to squeeze in the writing time around a full-time job and family. My husband is an electrical contractor, and he's super-busy right now. Case in point, it's after 9 p.m. on a Friday night, and he's still working. This means I'm also doing all the housework, which is only fair. No matter what, the family comes first, which is only right since I'm a Wife/Mom.

I've managed to average 1,000 - 2,000 words a day, but I'd love for these numbers to be higher. I write on my lunch hour at work, I write when I'm waiting for an appointment, and I write at midnight when the house is quiet. Due to network and office privacy issues, my only real option (other than in my own house, obviously) is to write in long-hand. This means I've got to retype all my work when I get home. Happily, I'm a super-fast typist.

Anyway, all this to say that we all make our own luck, and I'm focused on doing whatever it takes to make sure I'm one of the "lucky" ones.

throttleforward

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Oct 30, 2009
Washington DC
I hate when the Capitals go to overtime. Why can't they just win in regulation?! But do you think I'm not going to watch the overtime? Not only will I watch, I'll close the laptop and focus. Because I've already invested time in the outcome - I definitely want to see it through to the end.

I think once the time is invested, even though people won't be happy about it, they are committed and they will keep buying to see it thought to the end.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
You will make it, CH. Keep pressing. Your day will come.

Held for Ransom

Butt In Chair
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
436%
Apr 22, 2013
Denver, CO

AnneC

Conscious
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
392%
Jan 3, 2012
USA
I've had to work in high security offices, so I understand your pain. How about storing your laptop in your car for use during lunch breaks? Or dictation on your smartphone with headphones/mic while you're running errands? You could just use a simple USB voice recorder, too. Probably faster than writing longhand. :)

ChickenHawk

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
468%
Aug 16, 2012
Butt in Chair
Quick Update: I'm still writing like crazy on my current project/pen name. Right now, this book is shaping up to be about 70,000 words. Of this, I have about 55,000 written. I'm also playing with that aforementioned previous novel, and ended up with an exciting brainstorm of tying these projects together to form a series of sorts.

On one hand, this is GREAT news, because it should offer added momentum once I start publishing. On the other hand, %$%^##!!. This is making me crazy, because this plan will delay my hitting the "publish" button for several weeks, possibly months, because it involves creating a prequel to what I'm working on now.

Here's the current plan.
Book 1: A prequel to a novel I'd already written. (Estimated word count: 50K words. About 20K are written.)
Book 2: My current project. (Estimated word count: 70K. About 55K are written.)
Book 3: A sequel to my current project (Estimated word count: 60K. About 7K are written.)
Book 4: My previously written novel, cut in half and spiced up (Estimated word count: 70K. About 50K are written.)
Book 5: Second revised part of my previously written novel. (Estimated word count: 65K. About 50K are written.)

So basically, I'm working on five full-length books totaling 320K words. I've got 180K written, but not on the same book. Aaaand, I'll need to revise much of my previous material to ensure it fits the genre. I think it's a good long-term strategy, but short-term, it's definitely making me a little nuts. Oh, how I long to hit "publish" sooner. Waaaah!!!

joanna

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Apr 14, 2011
Reading/London, UK
So basically, I'm working on five full-length books totaling 320K words. I've got 180K written, but not on the same book. Aaaand, I'll need to revise much of my previous material to ensure it fits the genre. I think it's a good long-term strategy, but short-term, it's definitely making me a little nuts. Oh, how I long to hit "publish" sooner. Waaaah!!!

I know the feeling. You just need to pick one now, and stick to it till it's ready to publish. Seems that there is a something a bit like the "shiny object syndrome" that relates to book writing. It's way to easy to jump around from book to book. *guilty as charged*

Though 180K is nothing to scoff at and you're nearly there on two of the mentioned works, so just keep on writing :)

COSenior

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jun 22, 2013
Colorado
Quick Update: I'm still writing like crazy on my current project/pen name. Right now, this book is shaping up to be about 70,000 words. Of this, I have about 55,000 written. I'm also playing with that aforementioned previous novel, and ended up with an exciting brainstorm of tying these projects together to form a series of sorts.

On one hand, this is GREAT news, because it should offer added momentum once I start publishing. On the other hand, %$%^##!!. This is making me crazy, because this plan will delay my hitting the "publish" button for several weeks, possibly months, because it involves creating a prequel to what I'm working on now.

Here's the current plan.
Book 1: A prequel to a novel I'd already written. (Estimated word count: 50K words. About 20K are written.)
Book 2: My current project. (Estimated word count: 70K. About 55K are written.)
Book 3: A sequel to my current project (Estimated word count: 60K. About 7K are written.)
Book 4: My previously written novel, cut in half and spiced up (Estimated word count: 70K. About 50K are written.)
Book 5: Second revised part of my previously written novel. (Estimated word count: 65K. About 50K are written.)

Argh, wish we could still just pick the piece we're replying to. And has anyone else lost speed with the change? I used to cruise along at 75 kph...but I digress.

If you wait to publish the first book until you have written a prequel, it isn't a prequel, it's the first book in the series. If that's what you meant, I get that you're frustrated. But, if it really is a prequel, just finish the current project and then publish the prequel. Remember, there are no writing police. :D

ChickenHawk

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
468%
Aug 16, 2012
Butt in Chair
Loved the cartoon! And uh, of course, that's not me. Um, nope. Except on weekdays and weekends, of course.

As an update, I'm literally writing the last chapter of my novel, which currently stands at 77K words. When finished, it will probably clock in at just under 80K. Tying it to a previously written novel has proven to be more work up-front, but should greatly reduce the work (and hopefully provide a nice sales boost) for books 3 and 4.

Here's the revised plan, based on input from fellow Fastlaners. (THANKS for this, and for all the encouragement, btw.)
Book 1: My current project. (Estimated word count: 80K. About 77K are written.)
Book 2: A sequel to my current project (Estimated word count: 60K. About 7K are written.)
Book 3: My previously written novel, cut in half and spiced up (Estimated word count: 70K. About 50K are written.)
Book 4: Second revised part of my previously written novel. (Estimated word count: 65K. About 50K are written.)
Potential Book 5: A prequel to a novel I'd already written. Word count TBD. I'm looking at this as a potential for permafree, since it will pre-date all of the above books and will likely be noticeably shorter.

In bad news, I've literally outgrown all of my pants. Yes, my butt's been firmly in the chair. The only problem is, my butt's been expanding along with the word count. But honestly, between the full-time job, planning for Christmas, and trying to be a good Mom & wife, my fitness has been terribly neglected. (Funny I always find time to shovel more cookies into my yapper, but I digress...) I will DEFINITELY need to do better in the future.

Lagron

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Nov 8, 2013
New Jersey
I have been reading this and enjoy seeing the progress you have been making.

I have not written books, but from experience in other writing I have done, and from statistics, it is noted that multitasking leads to a percentage of about 20-24% in loss of quality.

Maybe if you looked into my claims, you will find that what I say holds true. Multitasking ie, having more than 1 book being written at a single time=less quality?

I have not read your books, and would love to see another millionaire on these forums, but think about it. If you did the word count by now,

4 books total, you have a total word count of 184k...you could be about 5k words off from releasing your 3rd book from the above 4 books you mentioned... instead you haven't released them.

---
I am not trying to be, whatever it is you want to call me, but I want to say... I believe that if you stick to a single book to write, and ONLY MOVE ON to the next one when you are done with your current one, then you will be much more successful & will be writing better books/gain more loyal customers (statistics backs up my claims, and logic says the same?).

I present on different topics at local universities. It takes me a while to write a good speech, but I have found that 1 good speech has GREATER and better results than 5 choppy speeches/presentations.

Go for quality. Not quantity. Also, just a note, create yourself a small online site, even host it on a free hosting server if you can't pay for it, but get your books on your own site somewhere. That way when you write your books, on the end of it, you can link to your site where they can automatically be sent to view your other selections. Heck even offer a 20% discount code in one of the books and let ppl input the code on your site to get a discount on purchases. Your site should be simple, run by Wordpress, have a blog/store and you are set. Nothing fancy, just clean and simple.

I look forward to seeing what you accomplish. I know if you stick to 1 book and finish it before moving on you will do considerably better, in the quality/content offered.

From Lagron.

ChickenHawk

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
468%
Aug 16, 2012
Butt in Chair
Multitasking ie, having more than 1 book being written at a single time=less quality?

I have not read your books, and would love to see another millionaire on these forums, but think about it. If you did the word count by now,

4 books total, you have a total word count of 184k...you could be about 5k words off from releasing your 3rd book from the above 4 books you mentioned... instead you haven't released them...I believe that if you stick to a single book to write, and ONLY MOVE ON to the next one when you are done with your current one, then you will be much more successful & will be writing better books/gain more loyal customers.

Thanks for your input and encouragement. You make an excellent point about multitasking. In a funny way, I didn't plan to multitask. But what happened was that books 1 and 2 started out as a single book, which I decided to divide up into two separate novels. Similarly, books 3 and 4 will consist of an already written novel that I'm going to rearrange and spice up. Technically, if I were willing to release it "as is", and as a single book, I could use those already written words to hit publish now and cross it off the list. But I'm hoping that by making these changes, the whole endeavor will be more successful. But you're definitely right, In the meantime, it does leave me feeling a little scattered to have so many things on the writing plate. I'll be REALLY glad when I get these pieces assembled and can take a more logical approach to things.

ChickenHawk

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
468%
Aug 16, 2012
Butt in Chair
Aaaaaand, I just finished the first draft of my first full-length novel under my new pen name! Whoohoooo!!!!

The final word-count was approximately 79K, most of it written in the last two months. I still need to give it an edit, design the cover, write the description, and figure out how to compile a mailing list, but hey, the most time-consuming part is done. I'd still like to release by Christmas, but that might be pushing it.

But dang, I'd really like to get it out there in time for the post-holiday ebook buying frenzy, not even so much for the money, but to populate the "also boughts," and start getting the new pen name up and running. I swear, there's never enough time. I know what will solve this. A handful of cookies.

joanna

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Apr 14, 2011
Reading/London, UK
Great job. :) Finishing always feels so good. Personally an additional reason to have an editor is so that I can take a five minute breather from the work after it's done before jumping back to work ;) Good luck with the holiday release!

Breaking Free

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Aug 4, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
I've tried sticking to a single story, versus juggling up to three. I'm more productive on three, if only because if I get tired of one and having trouble writing that one story, I can go to another that has a scene I'm dying to write.

It all equals more words, which adds up to books.

COSenior

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jun 22, 2013
Colorado
I've tried sticking to a single story, versus juggling up to three. I'm more productive on three, if only because if I get tired of one and having trouble writing that one story, I can go to another that has a scene I'm dying to write.

It all equals more words, which adds up to books.

Statistics aside, there's a lot to get from what you said Breaking Free, as well as ChickenHawk's explanation. Writing isn't always subject to efficiency, since it depends so much on the writer's frame of mind as well as what life throws at us. I personally like to finish one book before starting another, or, if setting one aside to do something more urgent, I don't pick up the first one again until the urgent one is finished. But, as you are all sick of hearing by now, I work daily on one book for my client and then when my hours/word count is done, pick up my own, very different, book. I still get a lot done, I think you'd agree. So my take on it is, 'keep calm and follow your own process.'

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.