• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 50,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

2. Forum *Official* Book Discussion
    Influence, The Psychology of Persuasion by Robert Cialdini

The forum has voted to discuss this book. Grab it and let's discuss!
    Buy: Buy | Discuss: Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion(Review | Discuss)

EXECUTION Progress thread - Badcourses.com

Discussion in 'Progress/Execution Threads' started by Logan Powell, Oct 31, 2018.

1. AllenCrawley

AllenCrawley Legendary Contributor Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $73,692
    Saltydroid [dot] info goes after gurus with a vengeance and humor to boot. He’s actually a lawyer.

2. Milkanic

Milkanic Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $6,029
    Roy23 and Jeff Noel like this.
  3. Fox

Fox Moderator Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $79,563
    Great idea.

Happy to take the Pepsi taste challenge with Fox Web School content in the future if you wish.

4. The Abundant Man

The Abundant Man Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $9,053
    I'd change the name to coursereview.com. But then I might think it's also for University courses or something when Googling.

Sebastya likes this.
  5. 404profound

404profound Gold Contributor I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $6,534
    Very high chances you'll be sued for libel.

6. Sebastya

Sebastya Bronze Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $2,342
    Only if he published "false" statements.

7. LuckyPup

LuckyPup Done Dicking Around Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,951
    My question, too.

8. LuckyPup

LuckyPup Done Dicking Around Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,951
    I like the idea, as it's one I've pondered, too. (great minds) However, monetization is a big question, as is content development. Seems that it would take a substantial amount of content to make this resource attractive to readers, and you'd also need a ton of traffic to monetize. Seems like a lot to bite off, which is why I haven't done it but is also why you might want to - high barrier to entry, that is.

pingu likes this.
  9. COSenior

COSenior Gold Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $7,786
    I have a different question. On what criteria are you going to determine whether the course is 'bad' or not? Because it's expensive? Because it's expensive and there's identical free information if one digs hard enough? Because people don't get the results they want?

I can think of justifications for the first two suggestions I made, and for the last, I've been involved in private Facebook groups where many people complain they're not getting the results - but the question is, are they putting in the work? Type the name of almost any well-known 'guru' into your browser and add the word 'scam', and you'll get plenty of hits. Half are people who thought the course would do the work for them, and the other half are people who are doing reverse psychology and writing articles that review the course well and post their affiliate link. (Pardon the hyperbole - I haven't done any mathematical analysis.)

On the surface, it sounds like a great idea. However, there are some challenges you'll need the answers to, and I'd recommend researching the market before you take any more time or money building websites or buying domain names. And one thing I'd research if I were you is what makes a good course? Any halfway-decent marketer can drum up a name for himself and then trade on it to reveal his 'secrets', but how many are instructional design experts? How many can boast that a majority of their students achieve the results they desire? I'd wager you'll find more 'bad courses' than good ones, and yet some students will get what they need, while the others will just go to another guru, thinking there must be some secret they missed.

Think it through. And then more power to you!

7figr likes this.
  10. garyfritz

garyfritz Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $4,523
    Wrong. They have to prove it's false to WIN a libel or slander suit. They can still drag you through court and cost you a fortune. You might win the case and get the judge to award legal costs, but you still had to spend lots of time and energy fighting it.

Bekit and Bearcorp like this.
  11. 404profound

404profound Gold Contributor I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $6,534
    Right, I didn't mean they don't have the stronger case, more that you better be ready for the hellstorm that is attack lawyers.

Bekit likes this.
  12. njsinko

njsinko Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $157
    I like this concept. I think encouraging users to submit their own reviews is the next logical step to boost the amount of content.

After all, I don't want one persons opinion - especially someone I have never heard of. I would like to see a number of reviews from a number of different real users.

Make sure you actually take all of the courses you are reviewing, but I do think you're onto something though.

GregDott likes this.
  13. Logan Powell

Logan Powell Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $342
    Thanks everyone on the feedback. I have a couple key take aways from this.

1) Rebranding in needed. Badcourses seems to be too narrowly focused and there are good courses that can be covered also
    2) Work on making the website less "written review" and more crowdsourced. I believe this will be better for me as well as the worst part of the site for me is writing the reviews haha.
    3) Figure out the legality of the website. This is interesting for me as well as I am Canadian but I could still be open to potential lawsuits.

404profound and GregDott like this.
  14. holmzee

holmzee Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $3,901
    Any updates? I noticed that badcourses.com has been discontinued.

15. Logan Powell

Logan Powell Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $342
    Yeah. The feedback I got off this one post was amazing. I decided that the current wordpress theme and plugins I was using wasn't good enough, and I took to heart the rebranding aspect of it.

I am going for the name of coursevote.com and listing current Guru courses. After hearing the feedback, badcourses had too much of a negative connotation and did not leave myself the opportunity to connect with people who actually deliver high quality courses.

Currently I am rebuilding the website in the background. After that, I plan on reaching out to a couple micro influencers and see if they are willing to have an affiliate deal between us.

Once the new site is live, I will post an update in this thread.

This website was actually the first website I have ever built. After receiving the feedback, I effectively messed around with it to see what I could do with Wordpress. It effectively broke my site, but I learned a great deal about plugins and other web apps that wordpress has to offer. Now I'm moving forward and rebuilding it with the tools that I learned from that will hopefully be cleaner and less clunky.

holmzee and jon.M like this.
  16. PetePreneur

PetePreneur Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $918
    It's a good idea, but I think you'll struggle to monetise it.

When you give an affiliate link for a courses you like, I think most people will just think you're just trying to sell them it and therefore not trust you- Especially if it's the first thing they've read on the site.

Also if you open it up to other people to leave reviews, the gurus might just hire a few people to post fake ones if it ever got big enough.

Just a few potential challenges for you to think about, but you may well prove me wrong.

Good luck anyway!

17. Calvert79

Calvert79 Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $539
    Just my 2 cents. I recall someone who had taken B School (Marie Forleo) saying it was a terrible course.

I typed into google and came across a post on Quora, no idea if it's still there. There was one woman in particular who said that Marie goes to town on any negative publicity on the internet and her legal team are all over it. It could of course be hearsay and gossip but it crossed my mind too that you might invite some of that.

I also agree an impartial review where people who have actually taken the course are giving feedback is useful. For example, you wouldn't want fake reviewers who are recommending their own course as an alternative :)

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.