The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Progress so far. Bring on the feedback.

Idea threads

ChetClarke83

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
Mar 11, 2022
Hey Everyone,
So the MVP I am currently working on is a mobile app that is a Product Discovery Engine/Marketplace for licensed products in the entertainment/media industry. First focus is music and then hopefully other forms of entertainment. It uses audio recognition technology and search to display products related to the recording artist, theme of the song, and lyrics of a song.
Currently it is being developed by an app development company because at this stage I would prefer someone with experience than to teach myself the skills required. I’m aware I will have to learn more on the fly and in the planning stages as well and aware that I could save money if I did learn it. The alpha version will be ready on the 25th of this Month and the projected launch is August. I’d like to know what you all think of the mock ups that I have been provided. Positive feedback is good, but I would prefer constructive criticism and negs even more. Trying to apply a lean start up strategy to making this happen and bringing out the best product possible. Thanks for taking the time to read. Keep your heads up.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Attachments

• 5B3EC2C4-7A4A-4339-B45A-B0A0657F8FE6.jpeg
    5B3EC2C4-7A4A-4339-B45A-B0A0657F8FE6.jpeg
    182.7 KB · Views: 10
  • C1E9C262-9547-4EB5-BFBE-FB210244531C.jpeg
    C1E9C262-9547-4EB5-BFBE-FB210244531C.jpeg
    226 KB · Views: 10
  • C5201890-4181-473B-9E93-5BC8DA583424.jpeg
    C5201890-4181-473B-9E93-5BC8DA583424.jpeg
    163.2 KB · Views: 10
  • F3420A8E-D2E7-4D35-8876-342DA40CDAFC.jpeg
    F3420A8E-D2E7-4D35-8876-342DA40CDAFC.jpeg
    252 KB · Views: 10
  • 8E180C70-9F4F-4A94-B71B-12ECC89342B5.jpeg
    8E180C70-9F4F-4A94-B71B-12ECC89342B5.jpeg
    231.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 3EEE41B7-B982-44AE-A8DA-82C19D45F517.jpeg
    3EEE41B7-B982-44AE-A8DA-82C19D45F517.jpeg
    310.3 KB · Views: 10
  • FDEED6F8-D634-4457-9E80-6B42DC39338D.jpeg
    FDEED6F8-D634-4457-9E80-6B42DC39338D.jpeg
    472.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 7704122B-817B-462B-856A-7FBCEBA9A532.jpeg
    7704122B-817B-462B-856A-7FBCEBA9A532.jpeg
    360.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 1E9B1AB6-AAFF-492B-8489-38123D086D2E.jpeg
    1E9B1AB6-AAFF-492B-8489-38123D086D2E.jpeg
    327.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 92A12372-B85F-41F4-9381-B2EC682D460A.jpeg
    92A12372-B85F-41F4-9381-B2EC682D460A.jpeg
    346.7 KB · Views: 10

Ed Schimmel

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Nov 19, 2021
Brisbane, Australia
Hi Chet, what is the purpose of this app? When people are searching for specific merchandise, wouldn't they be able to find it on the band's website? If it is found somewhere else, it could be illegal.

ChetClarke83

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
Mar 11, 2022
Hi Chet, what is the purpose of this app? When people are searching for specific merchandise, wouldn't they be able to find it on the band's website? If it is found somewhere else, it could be illegal.
My vision for the app is that we will only sell products that are already licensed. Which negates us having to pay royalties and apply for licensing to products. There are many stores that currently sell licensed products for example Hot Topics. There are other sites that sell items also such as Etsy, which is an issue because recording artists and publishing companies aren’t receiving what they should off of those sales. Essentially this is another distribution channel and I think leveraging quantity of quality products could work out in our favor. I have other features I would like to eventually add, but essentially the basics is that it is another music recognition app, but the aim that we are shooting for is to profit off of products being sold and auctioned instead of receiving a referral fee to Apple Music or the Google play store like the others. A few other features I would like to add is to make it a social media site that facilitates connection through entertainment. I have ideas for games that users can play with each other related to the music genre, friends can recommend songs, can comment and like/rate songs, etc. There are other ways that I am currently considering to monetize as well. Eventually I would like to leverage Average Joes and Janes and allow them to create designs that they can profit off of and pay us a service fee, but that would require partnerships with publishing companies and recording artists. Thank you I appreciate your response.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Interesting, so it's more like an eCommerce store vs an app? I don't understand the need for an app, when you can do the same thing with a standard eCom platform with a mobile friendly option.

ChetClarke83

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
Mar 11, 2022
Hi Chet, what is the purpose of this app? When people are searching for specific merchandise, wouldn't they be able to find it on the band's website? If it is found somewhere else, it could be illegal
Interesting, so it's more like an eCommerce store vs an app? I don't understand the need for an app, when you can do the same thing with a standard eCom platform with a mobile friendly option.
Thanks for the feedback. I didn’t consider that all the way what you stated, but it does make sense.

Ed Schimmel

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Nov 19, 2021
Brisbane, Australia
Thanks for the feedback. I didn’t consider that all the way what you stated, but it does make sen
There is a lot of e-commerce software on the market that is mobile friendly as well. The only thing you have to be careful with is security. When using something like wordpress, your site will likely be 'attacked' by robots trying to a find leak.

ChetClarke83

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
Mar 11, 2022
There is a lot of e-commerce software on the market that is mobile friendly as well. The only thing you have to be careful with is security. When using something like wordpress, your site will likely be 'attacked' by robots trying to a find leak.
Thanks for the tip stud. I appreciate it.

Jerma

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
242%
Aug 10, 2020
Canada
If I use an app to find out the name of a band.. I won't be in a "buy merch" mode immediately after founding out. Instead, I might want to listen to their other music or see a show nearby.

ChetClarke83

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
Mar 11, 2022
If I use an app to find out the name of a band.. I won't be in a "buy merch" mode immediately after founding out. Instead, I might want to listen to their other music or see a show nearby.
I understand where you’re coming from with that statement, but the point of it is it does use music recognition tech. It is catered to people that know or don’t know. If they already know the recording artist and don’t want to go to the internet and search for where to find merchandise. We already have it curated there. It can pick up music in the background off of your phone as well. So it’s a convenience, which I realize may not provide that much value. It’s just an easier way if they believe it is. They have the option to search if they are in a shopping mood, they also have the ability to tap and it recognizes it and displays the merch. If they don’t know the artist then it will display the details as well and we can receive a referral fee, but it can still display merchandise as well. If they resonate with a lyric/quote from the song we hope to capitalize on that as well. Quotes and themes of songs have a way of catching on and penetrating pop culture. Thanks for responding and giving feedback, I appreciate it and I am taking everyone’s input into consideration.

ChetClarke83

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
Mar 11, 2022
I’d just like to make it clear that I appreciate all of the feedback so far. I’ve been given some things to consider. I’m not a know it all by any means and I’m learning. It is a process for progress. Act, Assess, Adjust…..right. Thank you all. Let’s get out our dreams. Let’s be magicians and turn dreams into reality. Some of you have already done that and I tip my hat to you. Thank you all

Jerma

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
242%
Aug 10, 2020
Canada
Thanks for responding and giving feedback, I appreciate it and I am taking everyone’s input into consideration.
No problem! I think your app could work btw I'm just trying to help out.

I understand where you’re coming from with that statement, but the point of it is it does use music recognition tech.
That's part of the problem I see with your app, to be honest. It seems that you have access to the music recognition tech and are trying to reverse engineer how to monetize it instead of focusing on your clients. There's so many app with music recognition nowadays (Snapchat, Shazam, etc etc). It's not new. Why do you even need music recognition? Wouldn't it make more sense to scan your users Spotify/Apple Music/Youtube Music libraries for the artists they already like instead?

ChetClarke83

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
Mar 11, 2022
That's part of the problem I see with your app, to be honest. It seems that you have access to the music recognition tech and are trying to reverse engineer how to monetize it instead of focusing on your clients. There's so many app with music recognition nowadays (Snapchat, Shazam, etc etc). It's not new. Why do you even need music recognition? Wouldn't it make more sense to scan your users Spotify/Apple Music/Youtube Music libraries for the artists they already like instead?

ChetClarke83

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
Mar 11, 2022

I thought about that initially and felt like that was the path that I should take, but I wasn’t sure if I would have to compensate the streaming apps. So I figured I would try to cut out the middleman. The tech should be able to pick up music playing in the background on the phone. Thanks for your response.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.