What's new

Progress Since Quitting My Job

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Live your best life.

Tired of paying for dead communities hosted by absent gurus who don't have time for you?

Imagine having a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been a cornerstone of Fastlane, actively contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With more than 39,000 game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve their freedom. Join a thriving community of over 90,000 members and access a vast library of over 1,000,000 posts from entrepreneurs around the globe.

Forum membership removes this block.

nanakir

New Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
MEMBER
Joined
Oct 12, 2016
Messages
4
Location
Washington
Rep Bank
$335
User Power: 425%
Hi, guys. It has been a while since I've posted and a lot has happened since.

My introduction post - Introduction - Inspired and Doing It

Shortly after my intro post, I quit my job. It wasn't out of anger or frustration. I had kicked around the idea of quitting for weeks it was time to do it. When you do it it's just like you've probably heard - liberating and daunting at the same time.

Selling the House

This was more stressful than getting a new business off the ground. After almost seven months of showings, following up with realtors, sleepless nights, etc. the sale FINALLY closed the beginning of this month. I definitely didn't get rich off the sale. 6% of the sale split between the realtors, the repairs I had to pay for and the state's lovely excise tax left me with enough to get something off the dollar menu at a fast food restaurant. I exaggerate, but the seller really gets screwed at the end of the sale.

Moving Forward

I am writing this from a used fifth wheel I found on Craigslist. It's decent; nothing fancy. It did use a large chunk of my cash on hand but I didn't have to take out a loan to get it. It is a downgrade from the house I just sold, but my landlord and I worked out a deal that benefits us both. My spouse and I will renovate his 1940s house that is on the property; it's right next to my fifth wheel. He will buy all the materials and all we have to do is fix the place up. We see it as an opportunity to learn building codes, the ins and outs of permits and gain experience since we will build our own house in the future. In exchange, rent is $300 a month. I really can't complain.

The Business

I wrote a travel site that used the flight data from Google's QPX Express. This project was extremely fun and my core logic worked. I demo'd the site to friends and family - they thought it was neat. The revenue stream was going to be from affiliate marketing. Then I quickly learned that the requirements to be an affiliate are high. The site is still online but my focus shifted to something that I thought would actually turn a profit.

A college buddy of mine has his own business in the mortgage industry. He had me check out his website and it was in serious need of an update. We worked out an agreement were he has me on retainer of sorts. I built him a new site and manage it along with his online presence. He's happy with the results and gladly passes my info along to his colleagues in the industry.

Next, I decided to resell pet products. The LLC had a resellers permit so why not use it? I learned how to use Shopify and had a store up and running within a few weeks. This endeavor had a USP and a solid guarantee. I spent a few thousand on inventory and advertising/promotion using Adwords, Facebook, Craigslist and so on. The store received plenty of paid traffic as well as some organic traffic, but zero sales outside of a friend who made a purchase and wrote a testimonial. The store is still open but it's a failure to me.

Diesel and Coffee

Read as many threads that have posts from Andy Black and listen to his podcasts. Not only are they entertaining but there are always takeaways from each one.

I consider this an example of Andy's diesel and coffee effect - when you sell a home with a septic system you have to have it pumped and inspected prior to sale. When the technician showed up he was ecstatic that I was interested and knew a thing or two about the systems he works on. This lead to him telling me he liked to invent things and had a couple of ideas that he didn't know how to run with. One idea was a device that would attract elk during hunting season using heat and an irresistible scent ;) My spouse designed a prototype using a free 3D modeling program and we're ready to build it with the parts we have on hand and have it ready for the technician to test next hunting season.

Granted the technician was the one that burned the diesel and we watched stuff with the same color as coffee travel up a hose instead of having actual coffee, but without face to face interaction and simply talking I would not have learned about his ideas or exchanged our contact information.

What Now

I didn't expect business success overnight and I consider two ideas out of three a flop. Yes, I became discouraged and yes there were days I felt like doing nothing, though I haven't given up. I'll get another thread going that delves more into the business side of things, along with some questions I hope others will be able to help with.

Take care and stay hungry!
 
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts

Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.

You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.

  • Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
  • MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
  • Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
  • Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."
— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."
— User Richard Peck

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?

Vjev't raovi e djephi op nepz esiet. O juqi ov emm xuslt uav gus zua epf zuast. Katv liiq hsopfoph exez ev vji catopitt epf ov xomm iwipvaemmz heop vsedvoup. Ov nez veli nusi geomasit vu siedj vji nufim vjev xuslt gus zua, cav og zua tvez up vji qevj...zua xomm hiv vjisi. Duphsevt epf citv xotjit!
 
Vjev't raovi e djephi op nepz esiet. O juqi ov emm xuslt uav gus zua epf zuast. Katv liiq hsopfoph exez ev vji catopitt epf ov xomm iwipvaemmz heop vsedvoup. Ov nez veli nusi geomasit vu siedj vji nufim vjev xuslt gus zua, cav og zua tvez up vji qevj...zua xomm hiv vjisi. Duphsevt epf citv xotjit!

Wisz nadj tu. Juqigammz O jewip'v tqsief nztimg vjop xovj vji foggisipv ipfiewust. O fup'v vjopl O xepv vu topl nusi nupiz opvu vji qiv qsufadvt catopitt ziv, cav ov't moli zua teof, howi ov voni epf tvez up veshiv!

Jux umf esi zua og zua fup'v nopf ni etloph? Zua siemmz vuul e muv ug edvoup epf ov't onqsittowi vu tii zua epf zuas xogi't efeqvecomovz. Puv nepz qiuqmi duamf fu vjot.

O'n 35 epf ov figopovimz xet e jahi djephi gus at!

Vjeplt, hazt. O fu eqqsidoevi vji optohjvgam dunnipvt. Pux vjev vji fatv gsun vji nuwi jet cihap vu tivvmi, ov't cedl vu catopitt :)
 
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts

Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.

You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.

  • Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
  • MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
  • Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
  • Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."
— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."
— User Richard Peck

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?

Back
Top Bottom