The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

[Progress] $1k+ a month with 3d modeling on Upwork.

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

CalebB556

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
May 25, 2018
Texas
Hey guys, after posting on this forum once about not wanting to create myself a job, I've gotten some amazing advice and have decided to take the plunge into....freelance 3D CAD design.

Over the next few months, I'll update this thread with my progress and the goals I have reached.

First off, I'd like to thank @SinisterLex for his thread and videos about him deleting his Upwork account, and bringing it back to over $1k a month. His thread and videos are golden advice about getting started freelancing. Anyway...

Why I am starting freelancing:
I don't think I am ready to run a business. I don't have any industry knowledge that could give me an edge. Many of you have said to get started by learning a valueble skill, then selling that skill, so that is what I'm going to do.
Why 3D CAD design:
The commandment of ENTRY. Graphic design is far too general of a skillset, and has generally been commoditized. On the other hand, 3d modeling is more valuable to bigger companies, including those doing $100M+ ARR because they produce valuble products/parts. It will also weed out all the 16 year olds trying to make an easy buck because it is a skill that takes quite a bit of time and dedication to develop.

While I'm not the most creative person, I do like seeing ideas come to life, and I think 3D modeling could be fun, rewarding, and possibly open up some doors for me in the future.
Short-term goals <6 months:
  1. Pay off my $3k credit card debt
  2. Set aside a 3 month emergency fund
  3. Cut my hours back at my burger flipping job to 3 days/week
  4. Help my dad finish the cabin he is building (important to have some non-money related goals)
Long-term goals >6 months:
  1. Quit my burger flipping job and freelance full-time
  2. Increase emergency fund to 6 months
  3. Start saving for engagement ring (she deserves it)
  4. Take my GF to Disneyland lol
  5. Spend more time with my family
  6. Start a real business
Method/Process:
  1. Watch tutorial and course videos on the basics from Youtube/Udemy
  2. Become familiar with basics and able to do simple designs
  3. Start on Upwork using SinisterLex as a template at $5/hour doing simple jobs
  4. Build up positive feedback
  5. Raise rates to $10/15/20/25....while taking on more complex jobs
  6. Approach companies outside of Upwork for work
  7. Niche down to a specific industry
  8. Fastlane this biiiaaaatch
So yeah, I hope you guys will follow my progress and thanks a million for all the help and advice so far. If you have any suggestions please don't hesitate to comment. I'll see you guys at the top!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

DistressedDenim

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
May 10, 2018
US
Hey guys, after posting on this forum once about not wanting to create myself a job, I've gotten some amazing advice and have decided to take the plunge into....freelance 3D CAD design.

Over the next few months, I'll update this thread with my progress and the goals I have reached.

First off, I'd like to thank @SinisterLex for his thread and videos about him deleting his Upwork account, and bringing it back to over $1k a month. His thread and videos are golden advice about getting started freelancing. Anyway...

Why I am starting freelancing:
I don't think I am ready to run a business. I don't have any industry knowledge that could give me an edge. Many of you have said to get started by learning a valueble skill, then selling that skill, so that is what I'm going to do.
Why 3D CAD design:
The commandment of ENTRY. Graphic design is far too general of a skillset, and has generally been commoditized. On the other hand, 3d modeling is more valuable to bigger companies, including those doing $100M+ ARR because they produce valuble products/parts. It will also weed out all the 16 year olds trying to make an easy buck because it is a skill that takes quite a bit of time and dedication to develop.

While I'm not the most creative person, I do like seeing ideas come to life, and I think 3D modeling could be fun, rewarding, and possibly open up some doors for me in the future.
Short-term goals <6 months:
  1. Pay off my $3k credit card debt
  2. Set aside a 3 month emergency fund
  3. Cut my hours back at my burger flipping job to 3 days/week
  4. Help my dad finish the cabin he is building (important to have some non-money related goals)
Long-term goals >6 months:
  1. Quit my burger flipping job and freelance full-time
  2. Increase emergency fund to 6 months
  3. Start saving for engagement ring (she deserves it)
  4. Take my GF to Disneyland lol
  5. Spend more time with my family
  6. Start a real business
Method/Process:
  1. Watch tutorial and course videos on the basics from Youtube/Udemy
  2. Become familiar with basics and able to do simple designs
  3. Start on Upwork using SinisterLex as a template at $5/hour doing simple jobs
  4. Build up positive feedback
  5. Raise rates to $10/15/20/25....while taking on more complex jobs
  6. Approach companies outside of Upwork for work
  7. Niche down to a specific industry
  8. Fastlane this biiiaaaatch
So yeah, I hope you guys will follow my progress and thanks a million for all the help and advice so far. If you have any suggestions please don't hesitate to comment. I'll see you guys at the top!
Lol, almost perfect timing. I'm in the process of developing a product prototype right now, and I'm gonna need a freelance 3d modeler to help me with part of the process. Sadly, I'm going to be ready to find my modeler within the next 1-2 weeks and I doubt it's possible to learn 3d modeling that fast. Hope it works out for you, I think doing 3d modeling could definitely help you find ideas for a product-based Fastlane business.

CalebB556

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
May 25, 2018
Texas
Lol, almost perfect timing. I'm in the process of developing a product prototype right now, and I'm gonna need a freelance 3d modeler to help me with part of the process. Sadly, I'm going to be ready to find my modeler within the next 1-2 weeks and I doubt it's possible to learn 3d modeling that fast. Hope it works out for you, I think doing 3d modeling could definitely help you find ideas for a product-based Fastlane business.
Thanks Will!

Unfortunately you’re probably right. I’m gonna use the next 30 days to learn as much as I can before I start taking on clients.

Best of luck!

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
How about your bo staff skills? Can you market those?

YoungPadawan

Miles to go before I sleep
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
280%
Nov 7, 2015
What kind of software will you use? An engineering-type CAD software like Solidworks? Or are you just 3d modeling in an animation type software like Blender or 3D Studio Max just for visual purposes?

If the latter, I would point you in the right direction for 3D Studio Max tutorials.

CalebB556

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
May 25, 2018
Texas
What kind of software will you use? An engineering-type CAD software like Solidworks? Or are you just 3d modeling in an animation type software like Blender or 3D Studio Max just for visual purposes?

If the latter, I would point you in the right direction for 3D Studio Max tutorials.

I’m not sure where I want to go with this yet. I’m torn between mechanical and product design. Not sure which one has more opportunities.

I’m not the most creative person so that’s why I’m leaning towards engineering. I’ve already downloaded Fusion 360 after reading some reviews and forums.

What’s your advice? Thanks!

QDF

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Jan 1, 2014
I’m not sure where I want to go with this yet. I’m torn between mechanical and product design. Not sure which one has more opportunities.

I’m not the most creative person so that’s why I’m leaning towards engineering. I’ve already downloaded Fusion 360 after reading some reviews and forums.

Fusion 360 is relatively new, although it is definitely growing and improving quickly, both in its features and it's use in the marketplace.

It's what I've used mostly in the past few years, and what I use to model all my new products and send the 3D files and PDF drawings to my manufacturers.

Choosing a CAD software is kind of like choosing a programming language when you're learning to code: You're better off just choosing one of the most popular/practical ones and then just get started learning. Once you're proficient at one, it makes learning all the other ones 10x easier.

YoungPadawan

Miles to go before I sleep
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
280%
Nov 7, 2015

I agree with @Valor , go with a more popular software choice. I don't know anything about Fusion360, but for me personally, my first choice would be Solidworks, because it's basically the industry standard, and my second choice would be Autodesk Inventor. I'm personally learning Solidworks.

The nice thing about Autodesk Inventor is that you can get it for free on the Autodesk website, if you say that it's for educational purposes (even though you'll use it for commercial purposes...)

Long story short, I would go with an engineering 3d CAD software instead of an animation type 3d modeling software.

It will give you a lot more features (like creating 2d technical drawings easily and even simulating fluid Dynamics and stress testing. It's pretty amazing!

Plus, you will be able to create the technical drawings that manufacturers need if you wanted to create your own products in the future.

CalebB556

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
May 25, 2018
Texas
Fusion 360 is relatively new, although it is definitely growing and improving quickly, both in its features and it's use in the marketplace.

It's what I've used mostly in the past few years, and what I use to model all my new products and send the 3D files and PDF drawings to my manufacturers.

Choosing a CAD software is kind of like choosing a programming language when you're learning to code: You're better off just choosing one of the most popular/practical ones and then just get started learning. Once you're proficient at one, it makes learning all the other ones 10x easier.

Thanks Valor!

All that matters is step 1 then step 2. No need for me to worry too much.

CalebB556

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
May 25, 2018
Texas
I agree with @Valor , go with a more popular software choice. I don't know anything about Fusion360, but for me personally, my first choice would be Solidworks, because it's basically the industry standard, and my second choice would be Autodesk Inventor. I'm personally learning Solidworks.

The nice thing about Autodesk Inventor is that you can get it for free on the Autodesk website, if you say that it's for educational purposes (even though you'll use it for commercial purposes...)

Long story short, I would go with an engineering 3d CAD software instead of an animation type 3d modeling software.

It will give you a lot more features (like creating 2d technical drawings easily and even simulating fluid Dynamics and stress testing. It's pretty amazing!

Plus, you will be able to create the technical drawings that manufacturers need if you wanted to create your own products in the future.

Thanks, I think you’re right. Fusion 360 is very powerful but solidworks will have way more learning resources for me, and it’s the industry standard.

If I had to I could get a design job to fall back on so that’s a perk.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.