The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Producing a Board Game 0-100 (Product dev, Crowd sourcing, Ecommerce, Ads)

Isaac Oh

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
241%
Jun 14, 2017
Berkeley, CA
Started creating some posts on reddit and am gaining some traction there already.

Had a playtest last night that went amazing. It played much better than I had assumed it would. Came out with lots of notes for improvements which I'll be implementing.

My goal is to have playtest kits sent out by this Friday.

Is a cool resource I plan on using to get some more attention to my kickstarter launch.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Sethamus

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
Sep 13, 2019
Northshore area, New Orleans
I've never played Undertale but I've heard good things about it. Thanks @s.wirat13! I'll keep that in mind.

Very interesting. I'll definitely check this out. It seems like it might take some time to get it all set up but once it's done I'll be able to scale much more of the playtest.
One thing to consider is that this game is best played with groups of friends, not strangers. So I'm not sure if that would be a hindrance on that platform.
The only time I get on tabletop is when my friends, that all live in separate cities now, decide to get on and play. If my group was one that was interested in buying this game we would never test it since we live so far apart. Just a different perspective.

If the board game takes off, nothing from stopping you making a web based game.

Sandy Dives

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Jun 8, 2020
Norway
Progress & Updates:
Graphic designs are coming along slowly but surely.
So far, I've received designs for the back of the cards, hero concept art, and the logo. It's less that 1% of all the graphic design that has to be done so I'm looking for ways to speed this up. A drinking card game that did well for the niche had dozens of artists do illustrations for the cards and featured them in their game. I'm going to try a similar approach. I've been surprised at how many people are willing to help for free.

I sent out roughly 5 playtest kits. I don't think all of them have arrived yet but it'll be interesting to see what changes have to be made in the game itself.

I received my second quote. They estimated it to cost $114,759 for 2000 units ($49.97/unit) and $142,535 for 3000 units ($41.73/unit). That's pretty hefty! After advertising and other costs, I'd pretty much be breaking even if I sold at $65. Looking at the breakdown, the Quest Book is raising costs per unit by about $10.50. I might find a separate supplier for the books and have them delivered to the manufacturer so they can just put it in the box.

The Tabletop Simulator is something I'm still interesting in doing. However, it seems to require a lot of graphic material to be done in order to create the game online. The biggest thing I'm waiting for before launch is the graphic designs so I doubt I will have enough time in between to set it up on TTS. It's not a big deal, I don't think the attention it would get is worth the effort put into setting it up.

Awesome!

Perhaps you could outsource manufacturing of the different parts to different suppliers? And where are those suppliers located? Maybe it would be cheaper / better outsourcing it to China or something?

Isaac Oh

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
241%
Jun 14, 2017
Berkeley, CA
Awesome!

Perhaps you could outsource manufacturing of the different parts to different suppliers? And where are those suppliers located? Maybe it would be cheaper / better outsourcing it to China or something?
Yeah I only received two quotes so far and China's was definitely the best. I believe the second, more expensive one, was in Europe. I'm gonna be researching better suppliers!

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Oct 20, 2012
Thanks man, I'll shoot you a PM.

I did some research on Fiverr and onlinejobs.ph. It's really hard to find an artist who is comfortable with the style I have in mind

One girl on Fiverr quoted about $120 per design of character (I have 8).
A guy on onlinejobs.ph quoted about $2000 total for about 3-4 months of graphic design and illustration work.

I'm having my chibi characters created for around $5-10 each via fiverr.

y4ZEVPH.png

View: https://imgur.com/a/nNODrN5

If that's the sort of style you are after, send me a pm for their link.

I also have a decent $200/Wordpress guy.

And a decent American copywriting gal.

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 1, 2016
the Quest Book is raising costs per unit by about $10.50
Offer it as an app-book. Basically an app that has the text of Quest Book.
Unit cost for download would be zero. Google and Apple have some yearly fee but its below $100 per year.

Hadrian

QUEST MASTER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Oct 8, 2017
Dublin, Ireland
Offer it as an app-book. Basically an app that has the text of Quest Book.
Unit cost for download would be zero. Google and Apple have some yearly fee but its below $100 per year.

hah you beat me to the punch though I’ve a slightly different angle I’m going to try with the app-book!:clap::

Isaac Oh

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
241%
Jun 14, 2017
Berkeley, CA
You don't need to spend .01 cent on advertising.

Word of mouth and start local young grasshopper
Wow. Really pushing me to the limits of what I think is necessary.

I'll do some research and create a separate plan on how I can accomplish everything above without advertising.

Thanks @sparechange

Hadrian

QUEST MASTER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Oct 8, 2017
Dublin, Ireland
I had my first meeting with the game developer. He's had 4 years of experience as a game publisher. So he's seen hundreds of games published with his company. He's also created a few games to my knowledge.

The meeting was good. The feedback he gave me was blunt and continues to be blunt. But he sees potential in the project.

Here's the biggest feedback I've received.

- The current cost per unit is somewhere between $30-$40. He strongly suggests bringing this down to $8.
- The artwork I've commissioned is not fitting for a board game. I've put the rest of the art on pause. He offers to be art director after we polish out the game.
- The game itself could use mechanics that are more thematically aligned.

Some serious grounds to cover but I'm glad it's being addressed.
Loving this journey you're taking... I'll probably hire you as a consultant or a partner to make my own next year! :D

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
I had my first meeting with the game developer. He's had 4 years of experience as a game publisher. So he's seen hundreds of games published with his company. He's also created a few games to my knowledge.

The meeting was good. The feedback he gave me was blunt and continues to be blunt. But he sees potential in the project.

Here's the biggest feedback I've received.

- The current cost per unit is somewhere between $30-$40. He strongly suggests bringing this down to $8.
- The artwork I've commissioned is not fitting for a board game. I've put the rest of the art on pause. He offers to be art director after we polish out the game.
- The game itself could use mechanics that are more thematically aligned.

Some serious grounds to cover but I'm glad it's being addressed.

Are you making this game locally? 30-40 sounds like what most games retail for..

If I were you, not that I'm like some gaming expert but found some success in my own niche (I make my own products) just ditch the idea of making money upfront and spend the 30-40 bucks on creating the game get a few copies of it and SELL it ASAP. Verify people will actually pay for it.

While I personally love this idea and would most likely buy it myself, our self bias's can be damaging in the long term, maybe YOU believe you have a great game (and you probably do)

The market place is the only thing that matters, people that are total strangers giving you their money in exchange for the game, sell it as a beta or ''rough copy'' and maybe even accept a loss on it, but if you can sell a few hundred of these it's possible you've got a winning product, just get it out there!

Worry about making a profit later when you can get the game made overseas for a few bucks.

Do you currently have a mailing list of pre-orders?/interest, even if you aren't getting paid having thousaunds of people expressing interest in the game is kind of a soft proof of concept, focus on building that.

Hadrian

QUEST MASTER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Oct 8, 2017
Dublin, Ireland
You can market it as a beta testing phase, get people involved and excited about the project to confirm demand. You'd be surprised at how people will help you along the way, I offered my products as a tester and earned my second customer that way, they even went out of their way to offer me feedback, things I should do etc, I was pretty shocked at how someone was offering me so many inputs (after I made the sale) Blew my mind. It's important to get strangers behind your game and become disciples for this game.

You definitely don't want to spend the next few months developing a game, having a perfectionist mindset and then finding out after more months of time investment and money noone wants to buy it, it's possible to get money back you've lost but time is not.

In the gaming world as an example, Half Life & Counter-strike the makers released beta versions for people to test, can you believe it? Not only are they getting feedback from the market place & getting them to do the work in exchange for a free game, they create a sense of loyalty and pride/discipleship, making the testers proud they were involved. You should do something similar, getting people behind your project.

As for a website, there's probably some cheap options out there although I think shopify at 40 bucks a month is pretty good, I'm a total moron and built a decent looking shop, so most likely you could to.

And like I mentioned before, no marketing plan is needed. Get proof of concept first, head to the local liquor store and buy a few 24 packs of beer & goto some local college & university campus's and engage with the marketplace directly. Get emails, phone numbers, ask them to like your FB page. If you can get a few hundred people wanting to play your game then you can focus on making a profit after the fact. Break some rules if needed, think outside the box..
Also try Meetup.com. Here in Dublin we have meetups for Board games and one for New Board games....

Check this out... Inspiring or what?!?!

df1992

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
238%
May 26, 2020
London
@Isaac Oh .. I saw a podcast on my stream that might be right up your street Episode: "Building A Niche Board Games Business by Crowdfunding a Million Dollars" on the podcast Shopify Masters... Haven't listened to it but thought of your thread when I saw it!

Isaac Oh

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
241%
Jun 14, 2017
Berkeley, CA
@Isaac Oh .. I saw a podcast on my stream that might be right up your street Episode: "Building A Niche Board Games Business by Crowdfunding a Million Dollars" on the podcast Shopify Masters... Haven't listened to it but thought of your thread when I saw it!
Thanks @df1992 ! @Hadrian also posted the link so I checked it out. I took away a good amount from it. Appreciate it from both of you!

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 1, 2016
Good to hear you're going in right direction.
The game has to be tested a few dozen times, then back to the drawing board. Then tested about a hundred times, then back. Then, another few hundred times before it's properly bulletproof ready for release.
That's how great things are ;)

Strm

Mamba Mentality!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
221%
Feb 4, 2018
Estonia
Great thread, good luck with the process!

I am also starting from scratch to work on a game to play indoors, so I'm keeping an eye on this as well! :thumbsup:

OwenD

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
300%
Apr 25, 2020
united Kingdom
Doubts that this is all stupid and won't work out. No one will want it and it'll be a massive waste of time and energy.

Okay, back to working on it
Keep at it man! I’ve been lurking on this thread the progress you’ve made is inspiring.

you got this!

Isaac Oh

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
241%
Jun 14, 2017
Berkeley, CA
Awesome Project Isaac... I'll be following your progress as I'm working on my own board game too, a kind of Lord of the rings Risk... but I went for the apps frst!

Here's a few threads:

Best of Luck! :bullseye:
Thanks Hadrian! Excited to see when you launch yours

Isaac Oh

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
241%
Jun 14, 2017
Berkeley, CA

Isaac Oh

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
241%
Jun 14, 2017
Berkeley, CA
@s.wirat13 agreed. Since we're going the route of an adventure RPG game with drinking as a mechanic, we're thinking 1-1.5 hrs would be a good gameplay time.

Definitely investing into miniatures. They're our biggest cost and many board games simply use 2D cutouts. Our market includes more serious board gamers who would appreciate minis.

Appreciate that man! I'm not thinking of conceptual architecture but when we do I'll let you know!

triodine

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Mar 26, 2019
One of the friends who came to playtest didn't seem like he actually wanted to play. Was complaining that the stories were long and wasn't really engaging throughout. I took some notes just in case, but I don't think he's the type of person we're looking for anyway.

Have you thought about having different game modes/ lengths? That way, for people with a shorter attention span like your tester mentioned above, might feel more engaged?

s.wirat13

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
154%
Sep 6, 2019
Thailand
Really good point. I'll start tracking that.

Great point. That's something that Near and Far does. I could actually see this working out well. I'll implement this after I get the core game nailed down.

@triodine made a solid point. If he wants casual, you can actually give him that. Either with different mode or difficulty adjustment. I’ve played PVE game like Forbidden Island which has several difficulty levels. All the adjustments are explained in the rule book. If you can manage to put that in your game, you can have house audience buying yours instead of keeping them out. In my case, my colleagues are mostly casual gamers. If there ain’t easy level for them, they play for a game and then back to scrolling Facebook. That board game will offer less value to me too.

Isaac Oh

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
241%
Jun 14, 2017
Berkeley, CA
I see a lot of value you’re putting in there. I believe that great story will grows a solid fan base. It is going to be awesome. This sounds just like how Toby Fox made his game, Undertale (One of my all-time favorite RPG despite the graphic pixels everyone hates).

I think if you are satisfied with the story, I agree that focusing at gameplay would be the first priority now. Quality over quantity. When looking at the game mechanism, you may need to often clear you head and look at it from the other sides. Go for a walk and you may get that ‘Aha’ moment out of nowhere. It is a creative task and stressing out your best buddy, brain, won’t help much.

I follow one motto aggressively. It is from the anime, MHA (excuse my nerd side haha). It goes ‘When you are at your limit, remember why you clenched your fist’. It sounds like a cliche but when you put it with your situation, your story and what you’ve been through, man, it will get you going every time. Hope it helps you too. Keep it up.

I've never played Undertale but I've heard good things about it. Thanks @s.wirat13! I'll keep that in mind.

An alternative to testing in person. If you have a friend who can do some basic coding, or whatever it would take on steam, there is a game called tabletop simulator. Pretty much any popular games get ripped off and created on there for people to play. Catan, monopoly, uno, poker, plus a lot in your RPG category I would guess. You could potentially have a very rough version without tons of individual card graphics or at least final products and use that audience to test. You could host the game and get input as you have randoms play that would require you to teach them the game.

Edit: I forgot to add things like dice, timers, etc are already standard in the platform. You only need to make your board and cards and if you wanted a rulebook. Since you said you were sending a lot digitally, this could be a better approach.

Very interesting. I'll definitely check this out. It seems like it might take some time to get it all set up but once it's done I'll be able to scale much more of the playtest.
One thing to consider is that this game is best played with groups of friends, not strangers. So I'm not sure if that would be a hindrance on that platform.

Sethamus

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
Sep 13, 2019
Northshore area, New Orleans
Definitely keep on the track you are, as doing too much can slow progress or turn into action taking. Unless you hit a wall with the physical game just keep this idea in the back of your head. Even going into licensing/ production (however the board game world works) you might want to keep the rights to an online version. A lot of connections are online solely and while board game sales have probably soared during covid, how many families would play your type of game? From what I read it is more tailored for friends with similar interests, though I could be wrong as I haven't played much of these types.

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 1, 2016
Ok so no hurry. Thanks for reply.

Besides that, I've condensed the 26 page rulebook into a much more straightforward 6 pages! That took a lot more work than I thought it would.
Good job :) I believe its not as easy as people might think

Isaac Oh

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
241%
Jun 14, 2017
Berkeley, CA

Hadrian

QUEST MASTER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Oct 8, 2017
Dublin, Ireland
Been following this with interest as I plan on making my own Board Game next year.
Have to crack these bloody apps first! :bicep:

Quick thought: I wonder could you base the rules on another game so you would have a niche userbase to target immediately and who could hit the ground running.... I'm basing my own idea on Lord of the Rings Risk with new elements that can enhance the game later, but won't stop people from getting stuck in straight away! Just a thought! :bullseye:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.