The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  • Sell-Me Saturday is Now Live!

Have something to sell? Like to post a video from your YouTube channel? Want to promote your design service? Recommend a company? SELL-ME SATURDAY is your opportunity to self-promote whatever you'd like within the realm of entrepreneurship on one central thread... and at no cost. Go There
    Note: Indiscriminate SEO backlinking to questionable material is not allowed.
  • Join 50,000+ entrepreneurs who are earning their freedom and living their dream.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The C.E.N.T.S Framework outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED®). From multimillionaires to digital nomads to side hustlers who are grinding a job, the Fastlane Forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses with one goal in mind: Freedom— both financial and temporal.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane) Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block.

Gaming (Video, Board, etc)

GradyS

Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Oct 16, 2018
North Carolina
Just a thought. Why aren't there more lucrative side business opportunities in the gaming industry? It's a billion dollar industry spread out across video and board games, and there is even more of a push for the board game side to "get away from technology" and spend more time with people instead of on your phone/in front of a TV.

Most of the businesses around them though are either small developers that are being way overworked, "Let's Play" youtubers/streamers that just let people watch them play, or the hundreds of video game review sites that are a dime a dozen.

There has to be more to it, I'm just not sure what that would be.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

reedracer

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jun 2, 2019
Kansas City
It's still the wild west stage in the gaming industry.

Some of the areas already being exploited are hardware, software, furniture, installation and updates. (There's plenty of room in each of these areas for more businesses and ideas).

Here are some ideas for businesses (maybe):

Esports is the monster in the room. Look to Football, Baseball and Soccer for inspiration.
Talent management, social media management
Esports cafes, lounges, and bars. Traveling supply and setup at venues, mobile esports trailers for parties or competition.
Sportswear, logo creation, esports leagues, training, coaching, communications, newsletters, podcasts, etc
Records management or systems, rental gear, spectator services (ways to watch the tournaments)

I've been thinking about this as I look for ideas to create a business my son might want to work in.

Tourmaline

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jun 4, 2019
Texas
Given that Fortnite alone made $2.4 billion last year, I'd say it's far more than a billion dollar industry! :rofl:

I have been looking into what sort of game to make, it seems extremely profitable if done right.

JAJT

Ha Ha! Business
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Who says there isn't?
Yeah, that's pretty much my opinion as well.

Video games are already a gigantic industry and you can find a great number of solo entrepreneurs as well as multi million (billion?) dollar corporations. You have small apps and large apps and small games and large games and indie games and everything in between. The industry is just enormous.

For board games, well that industry has literally never been more popular. As an avid board gamer myself my biggest problem is actually choice. There are SO MANY great games out there that I will literally never get a chance to play them all. Kickstarter REGULARLY funds 6+ figure board game projects from indie and not so indie developers every damn week.

Where's the lack of opportunity or interest that you're speaking of?

OP
OP
GradyS

GradyS

Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Oct 16, 2018
North Carolina
Where's the lack of opportunity or interest that you're speaking of?
I guess I'm thinking more along the lines that only the main content creators (Actually make the game) have a shot at being successful. Of course plenty streamers are successful, but that's highly against most of CENTS. Time = Money, and if Twitch/Youtube shut down tomorrow then that would sink people.

The one idea I had in terms of board games was a way for non-gamers to learn about games in a non-nerdy way. I am a board gamer, but my wife pretty much rolls her eyes at it. When I find a game I like that she might be interested in, I don't want to send her a 30 minute "how to play" video with the typical nerdy board gaming dude.

Also, I have tried to figure out a way for someone standing in the board game aisle at Target or Walmart to figure out what they want to purchase. If my wife wanted to buy a game for our daughter, she would have no clue what to get without calling me.

eldelnacho

New Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Apr 22, 2019
There's a bar/restaurant in my city focused entirely on gaming - I assure you that place gets crowded every freaking day, they have consoles from every generation (except older than NES), NES, SNES, PS1, PS2, current gen, etc. You can get a table with a console and just hang out with your friends while you get some drinks and eat a really nice hamburger.

Very friendly for the local gaming community which are usually nerdy introverts. They've also got board games among many other stuff.

It started out a small bar then it expanded as a brand, I believe they have 2 restaurants now.

It is located in Santiago, Chile.

26909 26910 26911

JAJT

Ha Ha! Business
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I don't want to send her a 30 minute "how to play" video with the typical nerdy board gaming dude.
There is actually a huge need for this in the market. Nobody has fulfilled it in any great way, yet.

Most "how to play" videos are skeletons of the rulesets at best. Enough to make the video interesting and follow along but not good enough to actually start playing from.

If you can spend the time and resources developing a proper "how to play" series of videos that is extremely effective - you WILL get followers and become a household name for board gamers.

The problem with teaching rules (as someone who is the dedicated rule teacher in our group), is that different people learn differently and it's hard for most people to absorb even a fraction of the rules before you start. It's a fluid process that ebbs and flows throughout a game. Making this succinct, yet comprehensive, is THE challenge.

Now, keep in mind that youtube tutorials is hardly fastlane. But what you CAN do, after you've built a reputation, is work on merchandise, co-branding, your own line of products (dice towers, dice, tables, etc..) or even a chain of retail locations. I believe Dice Tower on youtube has done a decent job of scaling things up this way (although I have no idea about their revenue).

OP
OP
GradyS

GradyS

Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Oct 16, 2018
North Carolina
There is actually a huge need for this in the market. Nobody has fulfilled it in any great way, yet.

Most "how to play" videos are skeletons of the rulesets at best. Enough to make the video interesting and follow along but not good enough to actually start playing from.
So that's the area I think could better. We don't need another "how to play." She just wants to know if a game is going to be fun. Almost like movie trailers for board games?

Hmm, maybe I should revisit this idea.

I even think D&D could make a comeback (especially because of Stranger Things) if it's pitched in a non-nerdy way. Would be a great way for a family to sit around a table and play an imaginative game without a screen in front of them.

I've also had friends that want to have "game nights" but have no idea of anything outside of the basics. I end up bringing a few party game and people are amazed because they have never heard of any of them.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe to become an INSIDER.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom