The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Preparing for a Presentation

MrPink

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Feb 26, 2008
Toledo, OH
How do you prepare for a major presentation?

What are the critical elements that you incorporate into your presentations?

How many times do you practice the presentation?

Do you practice in front of others or alone?

How long before the presentation due you have all your slides prepared (if applicable)?

What techniques or ideas have you loved from presentations that you have seen?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
I think a lot is going to depend on the topic and audience. Is it casual or formal business? What resources are you going to have, multimedia?

You have to know your audience and build a connection with them at first. You have to have credibility with them as well. Do they already know you or are you going in cold?

I would definitely rehearse you presentation and all the technology that goes with it. I would have a back up plan if the tech fails.

I like to move as I'm talking, many people prefer a stationary position. I really work on not having verbal pauses(huh, uhh, uhmmmm). Verbal pauses make you look like you don't know your subject matter very well. You also want to be aware of any personal, distracting nervous habits and minimize them. Good luck.

Jill

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jan 26, 2008
Frisco, TX (Dallas)
Begin with the end in mind. What is the purpose of this presentation?

Identify the audience. Who are these people and what questions & objections do I anticipate that I can cover DURING the presentation?

Keep it interesting. I try to think of a little anecdote to illustrate at least a few of my major points. People will listen to stories far longer and more attentively than they will listen to facts and figures. Use these little quotes, analogies and vignettes as the glue to hold your presentation together.

Add humor. I once read a study that people absorb 700% more of what they're hearing if they're laughing!

If you are using Powerpoint, use it sparingly. It's really easy to hide behind a ppt deck. I know that because I do it all the time!!! LOL. But rather than tell you how to use it, just watch [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cagxPlVqrtM"]this entertaining little bit on how NOT to use it[/ame].

Bobo

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
31%
Mar 25, 2008
Following techniques are considered advanced - professional consultants who have given over 300 presentations only

How do you prepare for a major presentation?

Well, first I say "You need this when? Shit! How bout some notice next time! Then Pour a drink, open the laptop and proceed to step 2.

What are the critical elements that you incorporate into your presentations?
Let me introduce the concept of repurposing - repurposing is a fancy consultant term for stealing whatever you can scrounge up from others, slapping your logo and a few client specific terms into it and then selling that puppy like every word came from God's mouth to your ear.

How many times do you practice the presentation?
Usually, I do it in my head while we are exchanging business cards, namedropping and trying to sound like I know what the hell I am there for.

Do you practice in front of others or alone?
Always in front of my dogs, usually when they are hungry. They look at you as though every word is so freaking unbelievably poignant that they just want to lick your face and pee on the floor. Note: Your actual audience will be less enthused, don't let that bum you out.

How long before the presentation due you have all your slides prepared (if applicable)?
Let's say that it is the 1st and I have to deliver it on the 15th. On the 15th I wakeup, shower, head outside and climb in the car with my laptop and a crappy attitude. I do the first draft while the driver gets me to DFW. Second (final draft) is done between "it is now safe to use electronic devices' and 'we are beginning our descent into (insert this week's shithole here)' Second draft is generally better if you slam a couple bloody marys on the flight. Remember chewing gum.

What techniques or ideas have you loved from presentations that you have seen?
Seriously, the slides are just a visual aid. You have to know what the point of your presentation is and why you are up there. At that point it is important to be natural, keep it moving, avoid jargon and follow a very simple format:
Tell'm what you are there to show them
Show them
Tell'm what you showed'm
Close

...Close is getting them to nod yes to whatever you are asking - another meeting, a proposal, a contract or just their agreement to use the new system you just showed them.... The more people nod "yes" during the presentation the easier it is to get 'yes' after it.

Whaddaya gotta present to whom, when and with what goal? help us with that and we can offer more substantive, less cheeky advice. Whenever possible, get away from the slide deck and whiteboard stuff, walk around a bit and engage people by name when you can.

Bobo

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
31%
Mar 25, 2008
The excitement is damn near life threatening, don't have my POLAR cardio monitor on but I must be spikin 170s every ten or twelve minutes.

RealOG

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Aug 20, 2007
Austin, Texas, United States
One little piece that I learned about when presenting with slides: Less is more.

Don't crowd your slide with words. Try to use pictures whenever possible to illustrate your point. Words have a way of tripping people up - what if you make the wrong point or say something that is contradicting to the slide. This will throw your audience off and lower the effectiveness of your preso.

Imagine listening to someone singing a new song. You just sit back and enjoy the tone, lyrics, and music. Now take the same situation, but you are given the lyrics. You will notice every mistake the person singing the song makes...

randallg99

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
when I first started making speeches, I was deathly afraid. My hands used to clam up disgustingly only to kick in my germaphobia to the point I would almost have anxiety attacks and be on the brink of vomiting as beads of sweat rolled down my face... watching me must have been a calamity. I am telling you: I was an absolute disaster....

good news is that I've overcome this and I make presentations and speeches often now with confidence and complete control. To overcome my speech giving phobia at first, I would actually videotape myself and then modify my presentation. Before making the speech, I practiced with a friend or one of my workers.... soon enough, making the speeches has become second hand and is now a much easier task.

depending on the subject, humor may or may not be appropriate. When soliciting money for charity to raise funds for homelessness and food shortages, humor isn't warranted.... but it's ok to have humor made at your own expense as long as it does not undermine your intentions and abilities

I use 1 or 2 notecards in front of me instead of writing out an entire speech. And I make sure I keep my eye on the people I am speaking with....

when speeches are read from prewritten formats, they tend to be a little boring, so the eye contact keeps people somewhat engaged whether they're interested or not.

keep the presentation very to the point. eliminate "clutter" and BS.

PaulRobert

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
May 15, 2009
New Jersey
Just a few quick tips-

1. Always ask yourself this question- Would any of your audience members be willing to speak in front of everyone? Probably not. Feel honored that you are able to speak to any group.

2. Smile. Always Smile. Smiling is contagious and it also shows the audience that you are a happy and easy going person.

3. If you stutter over a word just keep going, I've done this numerous times and the audience doesn't even notice.

4. When looking at the audience, look at everyone dead straight into their eyes, make em feel you are talking only to them, not to the wall :bgh: or the back of the room.

Quoting Randallg99 I too was extremely nervous. At my 8th grade graduation, I had to present a speech in front of 150+ people. I thought I was going to die. When the time came, I just thought to myself, whatever happens happens. At least people will have something to talk and/or laugh about.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.