• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 50,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

FEATURED! Post Your Desk or Work Area! (The Workspace Thread)

Discussion in 'General Mindset, Motivation, Beliefs' started by Nathan Douglas, Jun 30, 2014.

1. Vigilante

Vigilante Legendary Contributor Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $193,269
    So ya'all know I sold my company last Fall. I have been holding on to the large warehouse that I had then (and losing money every month) while anticipating that at some point I would want/need it again. Stupid. Straight loss. Violated my own principle of ruthless expense reduction.

Even thought I am still on a retainer from the company that bought me out, it doesn't mean I should be stupid with money. So, that changes tomorrow.

I have one more company left to build, but I need it to be profitable from it's first day. So, tomorrow two guys and a truck are coming over to take anything I haven't liquidated into my new mini storage location. The first of October I will move in to my new small office (includes wifi, common areas, receptionist, printer, conference room, etc...) so I can get back to my roots.

You want every dollar you make in the early days to be able to be reinvested in the company. This new company will keep financials from day 1, so it will be critical for future investors and/or exit strategy for the company to show ruthless expense reduction.

I will post some pics here some time next week, but it's nothing to write home about. Interior office, cool new modern office center, easy access, a mile or two from the storage facility where in the early days the merchandise will flow through, and... cheap.

If you come visit me, we won't meet there anyway. We'll meet at the beach, which is where I'd rather be most days. Separate your TIME from your INCOME.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
    Roz, BaraQueenbee, Almantas and 12 others like this.
  2. Vigilante

Vigilante Legendary Contributor Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $193,269
    Here's what the space looks like before I move in.
    [​IMG]

3. Bryan James

Bryan James Bronze Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $950
    IMG_3645.jpg
    Yes, that's a band-aid covering my webcam and a cuckoo-clock above that...

BaraQueenbee, ChrisV, Sheens and 5 others like this.
  4. Vigilante

Rep Bank:
    $193,269
    I read that Zuckerberg covers all his device cameras with electrical tape.

YoungPadawan, Xeon and Bryan James like this.
  5. minivanman

minivanman Gold Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $13,177
    I'm naked 1/2 the time at my desk so they would quickly move on to the next camera if they look through mine :eek:

UnrealCreative, I don't know how you handle that stool. I change chairs about once a month and I buy the nice padded ones. Apparently my a$$ is much skinnier than my stomach is. Maybe just boney... :)

Xeon likes this.
  6. Real Deal Denver

Real Deal Denver Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $8,702
    I'm coming down next month.

I need a picture of the beach, the marina, the bar, and the wait staff ~ oh, and your boat.

Vigilante and Xeon like this.
  7. stmorand

stmorand New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $92
    Here is what my desk look like today! IMG_7023.JPG

8. Tommo

Tommo Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,338
    Here's mine. Photo of the missus too. Inspiration photos.

Attached Files:

Xeon likes this.
  9. Tommo

Tommo Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,338
    Better one.

Attached Files:

10. cy-

cy- Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,010
    How did I miss this thread?

My partner and I with our small office.

I see a lot of you working from home in your work stations, and maybe that works perfect for you, but for me I must admit my productivity went up a notch by moving to a 'real' office.

If you have the capital I can only recommend renting even a little office space like ours here.
    Image-1.jpeg Image.jpg

11. Guest3722A

Guest3722A Guest

Rep Bank:
    $
    I'll be here until Wednesday. Just another day in Michigan.

Attached Files:

12. TreyAllDay

TreyAllDay Whatever it takes Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $6,272
    Have to go with the dual monitors - not sure why i got the greenscreen and mic ... wanted to podcast once upon a time. Maybe in the future.

[​IMG]

13. fortu1992

fortu1992 Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $1,513
    Here is my work area [​IMG]

Inviato dal mio COL-L29 utilizzando Tapatalk

BaraQueenbee, Tommo and MarcoSto like this.
  14. GregDott

GregDott Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $514
    20181009_133456.jpg Here is my workspace. A tad on the cluttered end of the spectrum.

BaraQueenbee and fortu1992 like this.
  15. RazorCut

RazorCut Platinum Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $26,273
    IMG_5885.jpeg

For me one of the most important things to invest money in is a good chair.

16. PureA

PureA Winners never quit Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $8,482
    Nice monitor!

Have the exact same chair. Got it used for £180. (Think they are £1k+ new - you may know!).

Xeon and RazorCut like this.
  17. RazorCut

RazorCut Platinum Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $26,273
    Thanks. Had 2 monitors for years but I find one ultra wide is much more user friendly.

I've had the chair quite a long time and it's been great value for money as it has outlasted several other office chairs we have had during that time and still looks like new (apart from where my feet rub the paint off).

Obviously the most important aspect is the aid to posture and being supplied in 3 different sizes getting one that suits your build.

Xeon likes this.
  18. MarcoSto

MarcoSto Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $679
    I like to work in cafés and do so for the last 8 years, 7 days a week on a normal week. Entering a café always activates my working-mindset and makes it easier to start the grind. workspace.JPG

Neng Her, Xeon, Sheens and 2 others like this.
  19. RazorCut

Rep Bank:
    $26,273
    That makes a lot of sense. You've honed a habit of associating a cafe with work. It's a difficult task to do in the home unless you have a dedicated office as it's such a multi-functional environment more tuned to relaxation.

-

Xeon, MarcoSto and PureA like this.
  20. PureA

Rep Bank:
    $8,482
    It's crazy you say this. I have an epic setup at home, but for the life of me can't get myself to sit down and 'do the work' - or if I can, it's involves A LOT of mental wrestling.

The moment I take my MBP to any old coffee shop, I am a productivity machine! The effect is well documented, as you say we attribute certain environments to 'brain modes'.

Xeon, MarcoSto and RazorCut like this.
  21. RazorCut

Rep Bank:
    $26,273
    Yes it is really hard to break. Your best bet would be to dismantle everything and set it up again in a different room or at the very least different position in its current room changing the layout as much as possible so it felt less familiar (even redecorate). Then ONLY use it for productive work. 2-3 weeks of that should get your brain re-trained to accept it as a work environment.

BaraQueenbee and Xeon like this.
  22. PureA

Rep Bank:
    $8,482
    Dude this is crazy literally doing that today. I have a spare bedroom/ironing room (lol) and going to set everything up in there and only enter when I am shooting for deep work/focus.

Hopefully this will save me from having to commute out of house to do any work. Failing that I will lease an office/ find a co-working space... but I would do anything to avoid a commute...

RazorCut and Sheens like this.
  23. RazorCut

Rep Bank:
    $26,273
    Ha! you've obviously done your homework. I actually quite like a commute as long as it is not too painful. Even a 5 minute commute can get your brain from one state to another due to demarcation which is difficult in a home environment.

Another trick is to take a short walk before settling down to work. So instead of getting up and heading straight for your home office (your brain is in home mode) you take a walk around the block first. This acts like a commute and helps get the brain into its work mode state.

It might be worth a try once you are all set up if you are at all worried about not being able to transition.

BaraQueenbee, Tommo, Bekit and 2 others like this.
  24. PureA

Rep Bank:
    $8,482
    Thanks for the tip, really. Makes sense.

Getting myself to start is always the hardest part. Especially after lunch/gym etc!

Will trial out the 'fake commute' walk. Love it.

RazorCut likes this.
  25. RazorCut

Rep Bank:
    $26,273
    Just had another thought that might help. As you are used to working in a cafe environment this might be useful to help acclimatise your brain:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSlOXT3AKBo&t=8732s

It might seem odd but I rather like the submarine one:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDJsXIBxpQw

Amazing someone has a channel dedicated to random noises (and 47,000 subscribers too).

-

Chef, Real Deal Denver and PureA like this.

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.