The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Possibly moving to more affordable city...

Sid23

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 9, 2007
My fiancée and I spent most of the weekend examining our financial statements, budgets and future projections. As hard as it is for us to accept, we’ve come to the conclusion that we need to start seriously considering moving to an area with a lower cost of living, or drastically changing our “picture of the future.” We love San Francisco, but we’re getting married in May and also ready to start thinking about having kids in the next couple of years (we’re 31) and we both want my fiancée to be able to stay home with our kids initially, and then work as much or as little as she wants. That fact, combined with the fact that we have no family here and that it takes about $400k/yr + for a family of 4 to live a good quality of life and travel, has forced us to take a hard look at things.

I don’t want this thread to be a discussion of “whether or not” we should move. That is a personal decision that we may or may not make soon. What I do want to play out is the “assuming we’re moving” card, what is the smartest way to do so given the following circumstances?

My fiancée is currently working a part time job which provides about half the amount of money she needs each month to get by. We have enough savings to last us another 14 months the way things are currently. If we moved, she would most likely be finishing her “hours” to become a therapist and may or may not make $$. For my assumptions, I’m assuming she won’t be making any money.

1) I’m currently working as a project manager for a real estate development and investment firm. I’ve already begun looking for a similar position in the city we are looking at moving to and it appears if I can find something, my pay will be about the same as it is here, or possibly only $5-10k less. The city we are looking at is approx. 25% less expensive than SF so I think we end up good on that one. So one plan is to make the move now, as soon as I could find a job. I’m not leaving any bonuses on the table by doing so, at least none that are apparent in 2009.

2) In addition, I am trying to find an out-of-state apartment repositioning deal that I can run. I’m looking at raising money from investors, but another idea is to present the deal to my current employer and see where that goes. So that plays into the mix of whether to move or not and now or later. I have over 4 years of working here and have a lot of trust and credibility with the dealmakers here. Based on my current situation, http://www.thefastlanetomillions.com/real-estate-commercial/19317-financing-1st-apartment-deal.html , I will most likely need a strong partner on the deal. I suppose I could always move and then contact these guys with a deal from my new city as well. I don’t think I’d have the same kind of trust from a new employer…

3) There is also a chance that if I can hang on here for a few more years I’ll receive a bonus of $50-100k. The idea would be to wait and see if that comes through and then take that money and move to the cheaper city. Obviously no guarantees that this will happen…Along with that, I could try and do a couple of my own out of state deals with these guys and then in a couple of years when I have sufficient cash flow, move to the cheaper area and continue growing the business.

4) The other option I thought of is to try and find a job in my new city, negotiate a month or two until I start and then take half our savings and travel the world for a few months!! Probably the dumbest financial move, but for 2 people living hand to mouth the past 5 years, it definitely sounds appealing. And while we don’t have kids…

I have so many thoughts and ideas floating around in my head, I figured it might be helpful to get them down on paper. If anyone has any bright ideas or other things I should be thinking about, I'm all ears.

As always, thanks!

Sid23

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

WestCoast

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
313%
Jan 20, 2008
Rhode Island for now.
$400k/yr?????

$150k, maybe, even that would be wildly high in my opinion and I grew up in the bay.

anyway, sounds like you are letting life plan you, instead of you planning your life.
As steve said, if you like SF, make it happen, you want to move out to Tracy to save some dollars, imagine what is going to happen to the quality of life.... yikes.

CactusWren

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Jan 5, 2008
Arizona
My vote goes for #4. Life is too short for anything else. Regarding new city and kids, think about them more than you guys and you are likely to make a better future choice.

Just visited Austin and Santa Fe last week with the thought of moving. Both seem like killer cities to live in or visit. Santa Fe is much smaller and with lots less employment opportunities, though.

Great thinking. Good luck!

Sid23

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 9, 2007
$400k/yr?????

$150k, maybe, even that would be wildly high in my opinion and I grew up in the bay.

anyway, sounds like you are letting life plan you, instead of you planning your life.
As steve said, if you like SF, make it happen, you want to move out to Tracy to save some dollars, imagine what is going to happen to the quality of life.... yikes.

WestCoast, when did you move? Do you know what the monthly payment is on a 2 bedroom house? Yearly? Try $60,000. Private school? Add another $60,000. Flights home to see the grandparents? It just keeps adding up.

I made six figures in 2008 and trust me, its at least $400k. Ask anyone who is in the know here...that's what it is.

And when I talk about moving, I'm talking about relocating to the Midwest (Minneapolis)where our families are. Tracy, hell no!

But thanks for your thoughts everyone.

phlgirl

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Aug 29, 2007
Philadelphia
3)There is also a chance that if I can hang on here for a few more years I’ll receive a bonus of $50-100k. The idea would be to wait and see if that comes through and then take that money and move to the cheaper city. Obviously no guarantees that this will happen…Along with that, I could try and do a couple of my own out of state deals with these guys and then in a couple of years when I have sufficient cash flow, move to the cheaper area and continue growing the business.

You have mentioned this option before and, while I am not comfortable rendering an opinion of any of your other options, I will say that I would throw this one out the window. If you were NOT planning on working a more 'fastlane' type of plan, this might be a suitable option; however, for someone who is looking to propel their life beyond the normal 'status quo', I would say that waiting around, for years, for a 'possibility' of a bonus is crazy. You are certainly capable of replacing those funds yourself, if you put your mind to it.

With regard to moving away from your 'ideal place to live' and struggling with that, I completely understand. My husband and I left PHL almost three years ago and, for us, there is no place we would rather be. That said, life is what you make it. One very important lesson I learned is that I can be happy with my husband anywhere. You can find the good in anything, if you seek it out.

I would suggest this - if you do decide to move - take full advantage of it. Don't just move to the Midwest, buy the huge house & fancy cars, just because you can now 'afford' it. Take advantage of the ability to live WELL beneath your means and make sure that the next time you want to move, cost of living will no longer be limiting your options.

Maybe you want to set a firm timeline for your choice. When my husband and I moved to FL, we set a deadline of 3 years. That was all I was willing to sacrifice (and, to be honest, it allowed me to say to myself.... 3 years? I can do that). Figure out what you would need to accomplish - actual dollars - in that time period, to get your family back to CA - then DRIVE towards that goal. Figure out what you need to do to get there and start doing it.

Who knows, in X amount of years, you may not even want to go back but at least you will have the choice. Worst case, you can use the money you have saved/earned in that time to buy a condo in Cali, for frequent visits.

Good luck. I know big decisions are tough to make.

kimberland

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Jul 25, 2007
I agree with phlgirl about the bonus.
It is called that for a reason.
It is a bonus.
Unless it is payable within a month or two,
I wouldn't consider it.
I've seen too many bonuses disappear.

I also agree to look at the move as temporary
because, well, it is.
Heck, life is temporary.

Maybe I'm part gypsy but I don't understand attachment to places.
I understand attachment to people but places?
The world is big for a reason.
You're not supposed to stay in one spot.

If you see it as a grand adventure
(which it is),
it will be one.
As someone with no excuse/reason to move,
I envy you.

Sid23

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 9, 2007
I would suggest this - if you do decide to move - take full advantage of it. Don't just move to the Midwest, buy the huge house & fancy cars, just because you can now 'afford' it. Take advantage of the ability to live WELL beneath your means and make sure that the next time you want to move, cost of living will no longer be limiting your options.

Maybe you want to set a firm timeline for your choice. When my husband and I moved to FL, we set a deadline of 3 years. That was all I was willing to sacrifice (and, to be honest, it allowed me to say to myself.... 3 years? I can do that). Figure out what you would need to accomplish - actual dollars - in that time period, to get your family back to CA - then DRIVE towards that goal. Figure out what you need to do to get there and start doing it.

Who knows, in X amount of years, you may not even want to go back but at least you will have the choice. Worst case, you can use the money you have saved/earned in that time to buy a condo in Cali, for frequent visits.

Good luck. I know big decisions are tough to make.

Phlgirl, thanks for your thoughts and understanding. VERY good point about not going somewhere cheaper and then buying a big house and fancy cars...definitely need to remind myself of that.

3 years...I think I can do that.

Thank you.

rep speed ++

Jill

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jan 26, 2008
Frisco, TX (Dallas)
I agree with most of the other posters>

Forget about #3. I've know people who stayed at companies because they had $5k worth of stock options which would be vested within the next year, when I was showing them how to make $5k next WEEK!!! The fastlane has shown you how to make that $50-100k easily, long before your bonus would come to fruition. (Just ask anyone who was at B&P this weekend!!)

Go for #4 if at all possible. I waited until I was 38 before I ever went to Europe because I'd always tried to do the responsible thing. I've been back 14 times since then because I felt like I had missed out on so much that I just had to make up for lost time! This is the easiest time in your life you will have to travel. You don't have to spend a ton of money to do it either. Just live like a local.

I'll have to disagree with Steve, tho. I wouldn't stay in SF just because you "love it". How often do you really get out and "Do" the city? Most of what you do around the city can probably be done in Minn also. It's a fun, young and vibrant city, as you know. You can bloom where you're planted. When you start missing the activities that are exclusive to SF, then take part of the $200K you're saving and take a few long weekends out there to enjoy them! The money you're going to save over the next 3 years will give you the seed money to do anything you want (business / investments) that will provide you the resources ultimately to move anywhere you want.

BTW, are you sure that private schools are $60K yr? Most good private schools in Dallas are $10k/yr. The uber exclusive ones are $20k.

Keep us posted.

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
And when I talk about moving, I'm talking about relocating to the Midwest (Minneapolis)where our families are.

Well if that's the case.. come on over! You can get you and your kids enrolled in my Dojo :smx19:

tchandy

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Aug 16, 2007
Kansas, for now
I have so many thoughts and ideas floating around in my head, I figured it might be helpful to get them down on paper.

I would go back to the last sentence in your post and start from there. You determine your future. With you fiancee, weigh the pros and cons of living in new areas you are considering. oConsider the following:
  • education for your future children
  • job market
  • look at the type of weather you prefer
  • crime rate
  • cost of living
The list goes on.

Tom

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.