The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Poison Words

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Jeremy Markham

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Oct 20, 2014
Chicago
Tomorrow. The one word that bothers me more than anything when people say it is tomorrow. "Oh, I'll just do it tomorrow," or "I'm too tired today, I'll just do it tomorrow." I cannot stand that word because it often snowballs into the next day, the next week, the next month. It's almost never convenient or easy or fun to take care of something challenging or time consuming or tedious TODAY, but usually it's better for you or your business in the long run. Even if there's no foreseeable benefit, it actually works in such a way that you train yourself to take care of things sooner rather than later and you learn to discipline yourself - that is a very positive side effect of doing things TODAY.

What are some of your 'poison words' that you can't stand hearing people say?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

OscarDeuce

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
269%
Nov 28, 2014
Northern Virginia
Can't. How many dreams have been destroyed by someone being told, particularly by somebody they consider an "authority figure" that they can't do something? In fact, I wager that over 95% of the people who do things above the average, whether in business, sports, science, entertainment, what have you, had to overcome a chorus of "you can'ts" before they achieved success. Saying can't to anyone, but particularly young, success motivated people, has to be one of the most poisonous things you can say. I despise the word "can't"

Best,
O-2

Jeremy Markham

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Oct 20, 2014
Chicago
I think what's also difficult when it comes to these words/phrases is when loved ones or people close to you use them. That's something I sometimes struggle with because we're all in the position, at some point in our life, where we use them more than we should. Some people are further along in terms of disciplining themselves to NOT use them than other people are.

I wonder how many of our words we can string together in a sentence....

Charnell

Block me if you're a quack
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 12, 2014
Kansas City
Not so much a single word as it is a phrase followed up by a lack of action. "I don't know how, can you just do it for me?"

No, I'll teach you how though. Need to connect your new neat smart TV to the WiFi? You gonna learn today!

Jeremy Markham

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Oct 20, 2014
Chicago
Not so much a single word as it is a phrase followed up by a lack of action. "I don't know how, can you just do it for me?"

No, I'll teach you how though. Need to connect your new neat smart TV to the WiFi? You gonna learn today!

Very good point. I guess there are just different types of people; those who like challenges and would want to learn whatever it is they don't know, and those who run from challenges. It seems like those of us who like challenges can never fully relate to those who don't...I certainly don't understand those people and how they think.

Mike Kavanagh

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Aug 17, 2013
The words that have been the most poisonous to me and those near me is "I don't know"
Even though we have the most powerful tool ever created, at our finger tips, we still don't know how to utilize it to our advantage.

BeDoHave

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
154%
Aug 6, 2014
"One day". I don't like the phrase because it sounds dreamy. To me it implies you're relying on sheer luck or chance. Often it's lazy people that use the phrase "one day" when addressing their goals - "one day I'll own a Ferrari", "one day my business will do a million in sales".

I prefer to get really specific. So instead of leaving it to happen by chance "one day", I say "In the next 5 years I'll own a Ferrari" or "In the next 3 years my business will do a million in sales".

H. Palmer

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Aug 12, 2011
Fastlane Metro
"I have no time for ..." (whatever it is that can improve your life).

"The kids need ..." (something that gives the person an excuse for not saving or investing money).

"I have never had a proper education". (So what).

"I don't know how to ..." (Do something that can improve your life).

"I don't know any investors" (Because you're such a crappy entrepreneur that you can't sell a bar of chocolate)

"I don't need ..." (something that can drastically improve your life like a computer can do for a senior citizen)

"This or that doesn't work ..."(like trying to sell your second hand stuff on e-bay)

"I am alone" (as an excuse for not going out and have fun).

"After work I am too tired to do anything else." (As an excuse for not improving one's life. There's always saturdays and sundays and holidays).

Jamesdoesmith

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Aug 14, 2014
its cause of age....too old... too young....bullshyt...stop making excuses

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts