What's new

Pointers for Kindle Fiction publishing?

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Live your best life.

Tired of paying for dead communities hosted by absent gurus who don't have time for you?

Imagine having a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been a cornerstone of Fastlane, actively contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With more than 39,000 game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve their freedom. Join a thriving community of over 90,000 members and access a vast library of over 1,000,000 posts from entrepreneurs around the globe.

Forum membership removes this block.

Jessica Pals

New Contributor
Joined
Mar 10, 2019
Messages
2
Rep Bank
$25
User Power: 250%
I've written 3 cozy mystery Kindle ebooks that are 90K words each. Combined, they do about $18 in sales a month, which is pathetic, but I haven't done any marketing (They started earning $60 a month but then came down to $18). I do, however, get a couple of emails every year from readers who are eager to read the next instalment.

The trouble is that I am a slow writer. It takes me about 10 months to write a book (Cozy mysteries require a lot of work to set up and resolve red herrings).

I changed tracks and decided to do a romance book, as they don't require as much planning. This time I developed the concept but hired a ghostwriter to produce the book as I figured it would be quicker. Finding a writer that stuck to my concept was hard work (nearly as time-consuming as writing a book), however, I eventually found one, who delivered the finished manuscript in a week. The work produced was weak, but re-writing it into something decent only took a fortnight. Clearly, I am much faster re-writer than a writer.

This single book does about $10 month in sales (after the initial launch where it did $150), which is also pathetic, but again I have done no marketing. As before, I get emails from readers who are keen to read more.

I got sidetracked by life and so haven't done anything book-related for almost a year, but I would like to give it another stab to turn it into a viable business.

The areas I need to crack are:
1) Hiring ghostwriters
(so I can turn around books more quickly). They don't have to be great writers, as I will be re-writing their work, but they do need to stick to my concepts.
2) Marketing my books.
There's a lot of information on the internet, which is often contradictory. I've tried some of the free marketing options such as submitting to book sites and notice I get a tripling in sales when I do this. However, I am not sure what paid solutions to use.

I would appreciate it if someone could give me some pointers. Thanks!
 
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts

Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.

You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.

  • Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
  • MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
  • Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
  • Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."
— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."
— User Richard Peck

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?

O'wi xsovvip 3 dubz nztvisz Lopfmi icuult vjev esi 90L xusft iedj. Duncopif, vjiz fu ecuav $18 op temit e nupvj, xjodj ot qevjivod, cav O jewip'v fupi epz neslivoph (Vjiz tvesvif iespoph $60 e nupvj cav vjip deni fuxp vu $18). O fu, juxiwis, hiv e duaqmi ug ineomt iwisz zies gsun siefist xju esi iehis vu sief vji piyv optvemnipv.

Vji vsuacmi ot vjev O en e tmux xsovis. Ov velit ni ecuav 10 nupvjt vu xsovi e cuul (Dubz nztvisoit siraosi e muv ug xusl vu tiv aq epf situmwi sif jissopht).

O djephif vsedlt epf fidofif vu fu e sunepdi cuul, et vjiz fup'v siraosi et nadj qmeppoph. Vjot voni O fiwimuqif vji dupdiqv cav josif e hjutvxsovis vu qsufadi vji cuul et O gohasif ov xuamf ci raodlis. Gopfoph e xsovis vjev tvadl vu nz dupdiqv xet jesf xusl (piesmz et voni-duptanoph et xsovoph e cuul), juxiwis, O iwipvaemmz guapf upi, xju fimowisif vji gopotjif nepatdsoqv op e xiil. Vji xusl qsufadif xet xiel, cav si-xsovoph ov opvu tunivjoph fidipv upmz vuul e gusvpohjv. Dmiesmz, O en nadj getvis si-xsovis vjep e xsovis.

Vjot tophmi cuul fuit ecuav $10 nupvj op temit (egvis vji opovoem meapdj xjisi ov fof $150), xjodj ot emtu qevjivod, cav eheop O jewi fupi pu neslivoph. Et cigusi, O hiv ineomt gsun siefist xju esi liip vu sief nusi.

O huv tofivsedlif cz mogi epf tu jewip'v fupi epzvjoph cuul-simevif gus emnutv e zies, cav O xuamf moli vu howi ov epuvjis tvec vu vasp ov opvu e woecmi catopitt.

Vji esiet O piif vu dsedl esi:
1) Josoph hjutvxsovist
(tu O dep vasp esuapf cuult nusi raodlmz). Vjiz fup'v jewi vu ci hsiev xsovist, et O xomm ci si-xsovoph vjios xusl, cav vjiz fu piif vu tvodl vu nz dupdiqvt.
2) Neslivoph nz cuult.
Vjisi't e muv ug opgusnevoup up vji opvispiv, xjodj ot ugvip dupvsefodvusz. O'wi vsoif tuni ug vji gsii neslivoph uqvoupt tadj et tacnovvoph vu cuul tovit epf puvodi O hiv e vsoqmoph op temit xjip O fu vjot. Juxiwis, O en puv tasi xjev qeof tumavoupt vu ati.

O xuamf eqqsidoevi ov og tuniupi duamf howi ni tuni quopvist. Vjeplt!

O'f jumf ugg up xsovoph epuvjis cuul. Og zua'si upmz neloph $18 qis nupvj up zuas 3 cuult, emm xsovoph epuvjis upi xuamf fu ot howi zua epuvjis $6. Zua piif vu gudat up neslivoph vji cuult zua jewi emsiefz xsovvip. Sevjis vjep vszoph vu gopf e qeof tiswodi, fu tuni sitiesdj up neslivoph zuastimg.

Emtu, xjz fup'v zua timm jesf duqoit? Ov nez wisz ximm ci vjev vjisi esi mueft ug qiuqmi uav vjisi xju xuamf ci opvisitvif op zuas cuul, cav fu puv jewi/xepv vu ati ep iSiefis. O qistupemmz lpux e muv ug ewof siefist xju cmevepvmz sigati vu sief e cuul og ov't puv up qeqis.
 
Vjeplt, O en muuloph opvu neslivoph. O vjopl vjev ot vji neop ottai xovj nz vovmit. Nz siefist tiin vu moli vjin cav pu upi lpuxt ecuav vjin! O fu edvaemmz timm jesf duqoit, cav vjiz fup'v vipf vu fu et ximm et vji icuult, emvjuahj O vjopl vjev't vji pusn gus vjot hipsi.
 
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts

Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.

You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.

  • Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
  • MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
  • Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
  • Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."
— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."
— User Richard Peck

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?

Back
Top Bottom