The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Choosing a ghost writer - any advice?

V8Bill

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
334%
Feb 9, 2012
Australia
I wrote a book last year. It was short and to the point and got great reviews (actually, everyone who read it said I was "onto something") and some killer testimonials. I sold a few on Warrior WSO section (not many less than a dozen), built a site and tried to build a community but failed for various reasons (never mind).

Anyway, since reading TFM and bumping into Rene Godefroy I've decided to dust it off and expand it. My problem (gift) is that I'm a speaker not a writer. Well, I can write but mostly in real terms (such as forums...etc) and have no idea on how to structure a "proper" book so I've decided to hire a ghost writer from Elance.

I hired one and she was enthusiastic but...then I accepted another one who was super mega keen and loved my book but then vanished! (lol). So I'm going back for my third try but this time I thought I'd ask your advice. They all seem cool and I want to hire them all. They all say the right thing and the prices are not too bad.

Anyone had any experience with ghost writers? Do you think it's "fraudulent" to have someone else "help" you write your own book? I'm undecided but want the book to appear as professional and well put together as possible without deviating too much from my own "voice". Too much to expect or a good idea? Any tips? I just want to make sure I don't miss any obvious warning signs as I'm not made of time and money (yet). If you have any experience hiring ghost writers I'd appreciate your input.

If you want to help me yourself, send me a PM with some reasons why I should hire you but I think I have plenty to choose from on Elance.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

hedgehog757

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
24%
Jan 24, 2012
New York
If it is YOUR message and someone else can get the point across better because they are a better writer...why would that be fraudulent?

V8Bill

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
334%
Feb 9, 2012
Australia
You're right. I read a comment on another website that all authors should write their own books. I guess there's a difference between an author and a writer. As long as they're all my concepts and my message gets across that's the main thing. I guess that I'm a bit concerened that my "voice" comes across. I've had a bit of a taste of that already. Great words but "I'd never say that".

I'll press on.

V8Bill

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
334%
Feb 9, 2012
Australia
Hi Sabreena, what's your opinion?

I must say the interviews have not been going very well. I've been meeting with some great (but VERY expensive) minds but mostly tiny minds that seem to know it all (except how to keep an appointment). Some don't even listen to the question and rattle on about they own stuff like I'm made of spare time.

I'll press on...

Noel

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
4%
Jan 6, 2012
Just a thought - but why not try recording your thoughts and then hire someone to write up and tidy the script? Not so expensive. Sometimes when you get these glitches of people not coming through it's telling you to get on with it yourself. Take some time out and just write. I did exactly the same as you and in the end my manuscript produced two books. Try the voice recording and good luck!

V8Bill

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
334%
Feb 9, 2012
Australia
Thanks Noel, done that (recorded one and half hours working off a mindmap) but the problem is, talking into a mic is different to talking to someone, asking them questions and feeding off the conversation - that's when the real gold emerges.

I feel like I'm force feeding people my ideas when I really want to help them discover what they don't know or understand without patronising them about the stuff that's obvious and they already know. My ideas have been borne off the hundreds of telephone and personal conversations I've had. That's how I work.

It's like I have to try to imagine what the other person doesn't know and trying to come up with answers for question I don't know. I've come this far (short book in my sig) by trying to "just talk" but I just want to be interviewed and have a discussion with the person who is writing my words. But not for love or money will any of the writers do that. They say it's "inefficient", "just write down your stories and I'll write them into a book for you". Well, if I could do that the book would already be written. Catch 22. I'm looking for someone to "capture" me via a long interview and turn that into a book. Even when on stage I interact with the audience. It's not just me up there talking "at" the audience. That never works. I always ask questions and bounce off and use the answers to progress. I have the skill of talking and others have the skill of using proper English to compose a 30,000 word essay. It's (sort of) like going to a mechanic and having them say "just fix your own car and if you do anything wrong while trying to fix it I'll fix it". Just fix my car dude, I'm describing what's wrong - fix it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure someone will eventually come along but it's just frustrating working with all these nongs trying to find the right writer. Thanks for the suggestions though - keep 'em coming.

Noel

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
4%
Jan 6, 2012
V8bill I totally get what you are saying now and I do understand your frustration. I hope you find your black pearl as that's what you need! There is always a person out there. I had massive issues trying to find an illustrator who got my vision for the characters of my book. I had some major promises of yes I get it and got some rubbish. Took a year but I found one via odesk. Was brilliant. So good luck keep searching you will find. :)

hedgehog757

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
24%
Jan 24, 2012
New York
Have you been paying for these interviews? If they can't keep an appointment maybe you should move on to the next person. If your TIME isn't important to them then neither will anything else you do with them be important.

V8Bill

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
334%
Feb 9, 2012
Australia
I'll check out Odesk Noel but I need to get this book finished now.

Hedgy, no, I'm not paying for interviews but I'm losing time and that means money to me. I'm trying to think of a better way to do this. I've started writing a blog again which might help me get into the swing of it again. Maybe I just need to do this myself. I'm not a hard one for fate to push around - I like to go with the flow. If anyone from here wants to help I'd rather give my money to a fastlaner who needs it than a stranger who can't take the job seriously. Sometimes just talking brings up ideas and who knows where that might lead. Two fastlaners working together ought to bring some good ideas out.

biancachez

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Feb 20, 2012
Virginia Beach, VA
I have worked with a few people on Elance. You might want to find someone who is not experienced in your niche, then they just do the writing, instead of attempting to correct your work. I have had really good luck working with:

https://www.elance.com/s/erinlea/

https://www.elance.com/s/amiej75/

and have almost hired

https://www.elance.com/s/scottswires/10180/

who isn't listed as a ghost writer on Elance, but is a ghost writer.

I have never found a person on Odesk I wanted to hire for any project I ever posted. Though, Guru seems to have some quality people there.

To your other point, no I don't think hiring a ghost writer is cheating, do we really think Tyrese wrote his own bestseller? Or any celebrity for that matter? In fact, I am fairly certain that MANY non-fiction writers end up with ghostwriters - there are certainly lots of GW in business. I think it all depends on if you look at your book as your work of art, or as a product. You wouldn't think twice about hiring a software developer if you designed a game, I don't think a non-fiction book is any different in your case. And even I, who really enjoy writing get very tired of it sometimes.

At any rate, best of luck!

Kevin P

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Feb 14, 2012
Hey Bill,

I used a ghostwriter before and fortunately he was my friend. He did more editing than anything else.

Here is what I would recommend on saving time.

1. Mind map your book; chapters, sections, keypoints etc.
2. Record yourself talking about each subject
3. Have it transcribed - all of it
4. Interview your top 3 or 5 candidates and send them the same section of transcripts
5. Read what they send back and use the best ghostwriter
6. Once you hire your ghostwriter, send your ghost writer all the transcripts including audio. This is so they can here your tone of voice and can write in your style of tone
7. Wait 2 weeks or more, depends on how fast you want the turn around time plus how long the book is.
8. Book is finished.

-Kevin

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!