The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Please suggest a book about finding options to achieve a goal

For any book discussion

lavix

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
47%
Jul 19, 2019
Estonia
Hello again :) I finished assembling one concept and I am pretty happy with it. I like the advice of @Walter Hay to read about sourcing - I don't have any actual experience in it, so reading about it seems wonderful. What do you think? Should I read some books about sourcing, if so - which ones? Or should I just start contacting manufacturers?

I also am considering improving the design further - making it into something truly EPIC. Then there is also validation to do.

lavix

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
47%
Jul 19, 2019
Estonia
Oh my god I didn't even realize it! One of the most important things to do is validation, so this thread can be an opportunity too - remind me if I am going off topic though!
What country do you live in and what material are your windows made of - Plastic or Wood?
What would you say is the most common material?
Do your windows have seals & what is most common in your country?
How are the windows attached to the wall?
Are they most commonly portals or level with the wall?
What type of curtains do you have?
Blinds, Grommet Curtains, Sheer curtains, Tab top, Rod pocket, Goblet?

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
Hello again :) I finished assembling one concept and I am pretty happy with it. I like the advice of @Walter Hay to read about sourcing - I don't have any actual experience in it, so reading about it seems wonderful. What do you think? Should I read some books about sourcing, if so - which ones? Or should I just start contacting manufacturers?

I also am considering improving the design further - making it into something truly EPIC. Then there is also validation to do.
Your first major hurdle will be learning how to work out which suppliers are genuine manufacturers, and which can be trusted.

I really think you need my book. See my marketplace offer for a good discount.

Walter

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

lavix

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
47%
Jul 19, 2019
Estonia
Realized one more opportunity for doing market research - Photos from reviews, customers put up pictures of them using competitors products, I can see how they use them and what type of windows they have :) After looking at thousands of pictures, I am not very sure that my idea in this form would work, out of 10 pictures less than 2 are potential customers. My implementation would have to be much better. At that point it would start competing with another competitors concept. I will investigate further. One note though, it seems that the european market suits this idea better, much more of the windows are of desired type.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja

Raveling

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
87%
Jul 14, 2019
set your politics to the side and learn about 'how' to make decisions ....
LOL brilliant irony
Jungle Scout crops up from time to time as a recommendation on the forum, but few seem to appreciate that using their research is not only expensive, it also leads to users entering areas of high competition selling "Hot Sellers" that almost invariably results in a race to the bottom because you have joined hundreds or even thousands selling the same product.

The "Free" training referred to is only available if you have already signed up as a subscriber, paying between $39 and $99 per month.

For less than one month's payment at the higher subscription rate, you can buy a book by someone who has had over 30 years experience in importing, and teaches how to safely source and import, including avoiding the pitfalls that never get a mention on guru sites like Jungle Scout. I have reviewed their teaching on locating manufacturers and it contains quite a bit of obsolete information, and some that is downright wrong.

Most sourcing or importing gurus don't bother to update their information.

Search the Gold threads.

Walter
Thank you Walter,

I really appreciate that info. Walter. I only mention Jungle Scout because it's the only thing I'm aware of that does what it does ( sourcing is new to me ), and while I think it's too expensive also, my mentor uses it and pays for my use, so the cash hasn't been a consideration for me wrt Jungle Scout.

I'll take a great book of an overpriced subscription service any day. Can you please share some title suggestions on the topic?

Raveling

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
87%
Jul 14, 2019
Thanks Chris, great video!!

New Years resolutions are non-sense in that there is no reason to wait or restrict goal setting to an "social convention" doing so indicates a lack of commitment to ANY goal, TODAY is the best time to set &/or act on your goals.

I agree with almost everything he said but not all, unfortunately, he chose weight loss as an example which seems not to be his area of expertise, so IMHO he's wrong on several points.

Weight loss isn't complex or difficult, everyone knows how to do it, even young children, but it is hard to execute because it takes daily commitment. I worry that if people think it's complex and hard, they'll either never get started or use it being hard as a justification for quitting.

Be careful about weighing yourself daily, IFF it motivates you do it, but your weight fluctuates both up and down daily so it may kill your motivation, if you MUST weight yourself daily, do it at the same time every day.

Better to weight yourself weekly ( if at all ) because your weight WILL go down weekly if you're on course, if it doesn't go down weekly, you need to eat less & or exercise more, eating less is most likely.

As for weighing yourself, I personally think using your eyes is better, after all do you want to weigh good and feel healthy, or look good and feel healthy?

Take a look at yourself daily or weekly either topless or naked and you should see visible changes, if not, do a weekly weigh-in and adjust your food intake and exercise accordingly.

Exercise CAN be done every day, IFF enough days are low to medium intensity to support recovery. To be clear, I don't count walking as exercise as he does, if it's all low to medium-intensity every day is fine.

I agree with Edwin wholeheartedly about that which MJ doesn't, you should start you career, goals or Fastlane with something you LOVE. If you don't love it, or have enough passion for it ( I think they're the same thing ), you'll quit when it gets are, and it almost always gets hard.

I have some other things he said that I disagree with about goal setting, but I'll rant about them in another post where I'll support my ideas.

Real-life doesn't always match with academic lab research.

But anyone who is doing as well in life as Edwin at his age, is someone worth listening to.

timbgreen

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
Weight loss isn't complex or difficult, everyone knows how to do it, even young children, but it is hard to execute because it takes daily commitment. I worry that if people think it's complex and hard, they'll either never get started or use it being hard as a justification for quitting.
Well weight loss get cpm plicated because it often involves food (mainly sugar) addiction, which does similar things in the brain as cocaine. I've been watching this video series and I think this is one of the best explainers of addiction I've ever seen. (He does talk about food here thought. He gets into why later in the series. I highly recommend it.

SkyLake

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Nov 29, 2016
There is no single book that will help you with this.

You must use your resourcefulness to find books/videos/articles/blogs/whatever that will help you connect the dots and create something.

As far as 'how do I get it done?' goes, there is no correct answer other than 'just do it'. It's as simple as that and if you are looking for something more complicated, you are just wasting your time and energy.

Raveling

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
87%
Jul 14, 2019
Well weight loss get cpm plicated because it often involves food (mainly sugar) addiction, which does similar things in the brain as cocaine. I've been watching this video series and I think this is one of the best explainers of addiction I've ever seen. (He does talk about food here thought. He gets into why later in the series. I highly recommend it.
With all due respect Chris...I disagree.

I've looked at all the most recent meta-analyses of High carb vs high protein diets I could find online and their effect on weight loss. As I argued with another ( maybe no longer ) friend, there is no difference between high carb diets vs high protein diets wrt average weight loss, well...there were small, but statistically insignificant differences:-?

This is another fashion/ medical / fitness industry scam imho, clearly too much of anything is by definition NOT a balanced diet, but here's a whacky thought, why not find what IS the main predictor of weight gain or loss....wait, we've known for at least decades!!!

It's calories.

Even Dr. Jennie Brand-Miller author of the New Glucose Revolution...a leading authority on glycemic index admits ( paraphrased ) "the best predictor of weight loss or gain is caloric intake".

While lowering your diet's GI will tends to cause you to lose weight faster and MAY cause you to lose SLIGHTLY more weight, as stated above, high protein and high carb result in the same average weight loss ( with a small and statistically insignificant difference ) in favor of the high protein side for total average weight loss.

ALL diets including

If you look in the mirror and see too much fat, EAT LESS of whatever you're currently eating ( no matter what it is ) and you WILL LOSE WEIGHT.

I've never not eaten junk food, but when I control calories ( eat less and / or exercise more ) I lose weight...like everyone ( save an exceptional 1%-4% of the population with a legit metabolic disorder ). Anyone who thinks they're in that exceptional small group, can only know through SCIENCE, get tested, and get ready to take responsibility for your own weight and fat!!!

WAY TO MANY quacks, and the majority of the fitness industry are all to happy to sell you lies and miracle cures, that'll never change. Health and weight loss is YOUR responsibility people, there are NO EXCUSES for AT LEAST 96% of us. If you're overweight, OR have a beach body...it's YOUR FAULT!!!
.Slim Tim.jpgFat Tim cropped 50 percent.jpg

Here's an image of me at Halloween with fairly low body fat at 45ish? ( not sure exactly ) and another at sometime before early 2005 so somewhere between 30-37ish.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
With all due respect Chris...I disagree.

I've looked at all the most recent meta-analyses of High carb vs high protein diets I could find online and their effect on weight loss. As I argued with another ( maybe no longer ) friend, there is no difference between high carb diets vs high protein diets wrt average weight loss, well...there were small, but statistically insignificant differences:-?

This is another fashion/ medical / fitness industry scam imho, clearly too much of anything is by definition NOT a balanced diet, but here's a whacky thought, why not find what IS the main predictor of weight gain or loss....wait, we've known for at least decades!!!

It's calories.

Even Dr. Jennie Brand-Miller author of the New Glucose Revolution...a leading authority on glycemic index admits ( paraphrased ) "the best predictor of weight loss or gain is caloric intake".

While lowering your diet's GI will tends to cause you to lose weight faster and MAY cause you to lose SLIGHTLY more weight, as stated above, high protein and high carb result in the same average weight loss ( with a small and statistically insignificant difference ) in favor of the high protein side for total average weight loss.

ALL diets including

If you look in the mirror and see too much fat, EAT LESS of whatever you're currently eating ( no matter what it is ) and you WILL LOSE WEIGHT.

I've never not eaten junk food, but when I control calories ( eat less and / or exercise more ) I lose weight...like everyone ( save an exceptional 1%-4% of the population with a legit metabolic disorder ). Anyone who thinks they're in that exceptional small group, can only know through SCIENCE, get tested, and get ready to take responsibility for your own weight and fat!!!

WAY TO MANY quacks, and the majority of the fitness industry are all to happy to sell you lies and miracle cures, that'll never change. Health and weight loss is YOUR responsibility people, there are NO EXCUSES for AT LEAST 96% of us. If you're overweight, OR have a beach body...it's YOUR FAULT!!!
.View attachment 26325View attachment 26327

Here's an image of me at Halloween with fairly low body fat at 45ish? ( not sure exactly ) and another at sometime before early 2005 so somewhere between 30-37ish.

Of course it's calories lol... calories in, calories out.

300 calories of carbs is the same as 300 calories of protein or 300 calories of fat.

but what has more calories... a vanilla milkshake or a chicken salad?

There's deeper stuff going on here. A chicken salad don't activate the reward center. A milkshake does.

When someone has a malfunctioning reward center (low dopamine transmission) they do all sorts of shit to bring it back to normal, including eating sugary food. If you're trying to feed your reward center a side effect is choosing sugary food that's high in calories.

You can tell people "well then just don't eat calorie dense foods" but for people with low DA transmission it will work for like.. 3 days, and they will say "F*ck it." Why? Because the limbic system is in charge. There is no free will in the limbic system. It's primal and automatic. People with poor DA signaling have very little self control.

So sure.. calories in / calories out.. but when someone is engaging in emotional eating (most people who are overweight) the issue is deeper.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.