The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Photography and selling it!

CorsePerVita

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
27%
Feb 24, 2008
As a hobby I got into photography. I've been perfecting my work.

Currently, my girlfriend is a photography guru on taking photos and has been helping me hone my skills.

It's all motorcycle related with effects and filters. However I thought lately it would be nice to sell some of this and have it sold. And the thought of one of my pictures up in a fellow 2 wheeled nutcase's house makes me thrilled to think about. Anyone curious on where I could sell this stuff to and get SOME sort of profit off of it? Hey, any $$$ is $$$ for toys, joys, investing and funds!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

CorsePerVita

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
27%
Feb 24, 2008
Been burned on ebay via paypal too many times as a seller. I'd rather deal locally :( unless it was a reputable source.

Eric

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Dec 9, 2007
My brother is really into photography. He has some fancy SLR and just for fun, he took it to a few venues where local bands play to get a few cool pics. When he got there, I guess a few people with the band saw him taking pics, and thought he was a pro and asked him how much to do a photo shoot of the band. He told them that he was just doing it as a hobby, but took the guys number and sent him a CD of the pics he took. My brother told the guy, if he liked his work, he could hire him. He ended up making a few bucks off of the gig.

People ask him questions like this all the time. If you are really into photography, you may not want to limit yourself to one specific topic. People may want to hire you for weddings, photo shoots, ect.

Eric

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Dec 9, 2007
You could also go to stunt shows, or whatever and after taking some cool pics, frame them and put them up in local bike shops (If they will allow). Leave a card. Might be the old school way of doing this, I have no idea.

australianinvestor

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
22%
Aug 4, 2007
Australia
If they of a professional quality, you can sell them through stock photo agencies. I am a very avid photographer and have reached a level where I could start selling them or work as a photographer, and this is the route a lot of people go (I wanted to do it, but haven't had time to check the fine print). Check out corbis, getty images, and istockphoto. There are more, just google "stock photos".

Otherwise, you could turn your photos into products, like posters. Just make sure you don't fall foul of any IP laws (eg: it's probably unwise to take a photo of a Harley Davidson and sell a poster with "Harley Davidson" in big letters on it." Maybe motorbike T-shirts could be sold to vendors who have stalls at big bike meets... I'm sure you can come up with something.

Otherwise, I've seen a few guys at drag track open nights who set up their camera, tripod and remote lights to take photos of amateur racers when they leave the start line, and they buy the photos for about $15. The guy makes a killing. You need good equipment for night work. I wouldn't try it without a fast lens and good lights. I'd suggest a nice long f/2.8 zoom, maybe two speedlights and some remote triggers. If it's daytime, no need for the speedlights and triggers unless you want some nice effects.

Daniel.

CorsePerVita

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
27%
Feb 24, 2008
Really good ideas everyone.

I was able to trade some of my photography for some parts and work on one of my bikes at a local Ducati dealership so they could promote some stuff on their website. In turn I got some awesome parts and service for cost of parts and no labor, whooo!

I like the track days idea, that's awesome! I do go and watch track days now and then so that would be fun!

Z5 FILMS

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Aug 13, 2007
The Woodlands, TX
People may want to hire you for weddings, photo shoots, ect.

Do ANYTHING but weddings. Everyone I know that did a wedding ran into trouble. It's THE day for these people. If you don't capture EXACTY what they had in mind, get ready for canceled checks, arguments and small claims court. There's no second chance on weddings. If you miss the moment, it's gone.

Show up at local sporting events. High school football/baseball, little league baseball (even t-ball), soccer, softball, motocross, karting, etc and shoot action pictures. Get a WHITE Polo shirt with your website URL on the back in big black bold letters. Make the site short and easy to remember...such as mikephoto.com and the like. People will see you taking pics of them, and their kids and inquire about it or go right to the website to see if their pics or kids pic is on there. If you show up with a "point & shoot" you will be ignored. If you show up with a DSLR with a 400mm lens on it, people WILL look and see if you take pics of their kid. Offer them the opportunity to buy on the website.

Won't make you rich, but get you lots of practice, exposure, build a portfolio and maybe make a few dollars. Oh, and get a business card for those who inquire in person.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
the photos are only worth what the subject will pay for them. I have a canon 30D and use it for my business but i get alot of questions todo photoshoots and i turn them all down or refer them out. why? because #1 everyone wants photos for five dollars or a photos for portfolio type deal. if they dont they expect images that are top quality for bargain prices and its a pain.

Best thing is capture memoral moments when noone else is. almost like investing. if you goto a softball event and capture pictures of a girl sliding into home and her parents notice they might buy images from you. its alot of legwork.

Walley

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
2%
Oct 1, 2007
My wife is into photography. We get clients off friends from myspace. I've seen people listing to do photography work to trade for things on craigslist. If people like your pictures, you'll get more clients. All we do is take the pictures and put them on a cd for the client so the client can print them as they like.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.