The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Photo rights

GettingThere

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Dec 3, 2007
Central Florida
Forgive me if this has been covered...I did perform a light search for this subject, in my defense...

Anyway, does anyone have a handle on photograph usage within a website? Specifically, let's say I google "black lab" for images and find one I'd like to use on my website. It may pop up multiple times for various websites in the search reslts and I have no idea as to the originator of the image...is it alright to use, or am I supposed to go shoot a pic myself?

I'm guessing if it doesn't represent a "brand" or specific company, it would be alright, but I'm not sure.

Thanks,
John

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
that is what stock photography is for. you are not going to get much quality through google, checkout istockphoto.com and various other sites like it, much better quality and you are paying for the usage rights.

marktech101

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Oct 11, 2008
Durham, NC
I've had to find some pictures for my website recently, so I think I can help. Just go to Flickr advanced search and at the bottom of the page check the 'creative commons' and the 'find content to use commercially' boxes. This means that you shouldn't run into any trouble with the rights, as they're already OK to use commercially.

edit: it's also free.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Xericx

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
35%
Jul 21, 2008
Forgive me if this has been covered...I did perform a light search for this subject, in my defense...

Anyway, does anyone have a handle on photograph usage within a website? Specifically, let's say I google "black lab" for images and find one I'd like to use on my website. It may pop up multiple times for various websites in the search reslts and I have no idea as to the originator of the image...is it alright to use, or am I supposed to go shoot a pic myself?

I'm guessing if it doesn't represent a "brand" or specific company, it would be alright, but I'm not sure.

Thanks,
John

No, you cannot use it unless it is in the public domain, fair use (i.e. news commentary) or as mentioned, some kind of creative commons or similar issue. Unless you know the source and have permission, its not advisable to use it. A large number of people just take the risk though....just rename the photo if you do it this way so it doesn't show up on a google image search for the same name.

You can also buy stock photo CDs where you can use the images, but generally they are not good.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.