The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Perfectionism vs. Shooting From the Hip in Business

Paul Thomas

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Jul 9, 2013
I find that perfectionist mindset causes analysis paralysis on many small tasks for me and unnecessary anxiety. So, I've tried to adopt a "shoot from the hip mindset" on stuff like talking/reaching out to potential customers, putting together first drafts of sell pages, etc. Obviously I'm still being thoughtful in speaking to them, but I am not aiming for perfection. I've found this is better for forward progress and confidence, but I do worry I might break something this way (self doubt in the background?)

I adopt more of a perfectionist mindset when it comes to things like spending larger amounts of money, or filing legal paperwork like a PPA or Tax forms etc.

Would be interested to hear how more experienced guys think of "shooting from the hip" and what requires perfectionism and more caution in the Fastlane game.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
Perfectionism is something you aim for in the quality of the product. This is physical appearance. You have to admit it is competitive. You can't be sloppy! Perfection in your mind is another thing, this is over thinking, deep thinking, and wasting time and energy. Burning fuel! Like they taught me in here. Stop thinking! Take action! Shoot from the hip!

devine

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Apr 16, 2015
Russia
Perfectionism is something you aim for in the quality of the product. This is physical appearance. You have to admit it is competitive. You can't be sloppy! Perfection in your mind is another thing, this is over thinking, deep thinking, and wasting time and energy. Burning fuel! Like they taught me in here. Stop thinking! Take action! Shoot from the hip!
Overthinking is overthinking. Thinking deep is another thing. Perfectionism is the third one.

I owe my success fully to being a perfectionist and thinking deep.

It has put a high barrier.
But when I reached that level I was aiming for with the quality - I skyrocketed from $130k/year working full-time to almost $400k (will break $400k in 2016) in less than 18 months. Partially passive, with a reversed 20/10/70 model (I'm officially free by all means).

Shooting from the hip is usually the fastest way to start making money.
Usually, it is also the fastest way to determine the quality of your business for the next many years, because the model you choose is the model you go with.

It's insanely hard to switch and change the approach, especially when the existing one is already making money.
But that's what often is required to stop making pennies and start making fortune.

SparksCW

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
327%
Dec 14, 2015
South, UK
Tough question!

I would suggest having a decent platform to start from, but maybe not perfect from the start as perfection is really an evolution. And as evolution is always evolving perfection is never truly achieved for long.

Going in un prepared in anything is a bad idea. So you must have the right tools to hand. And they can't be too shabby. Poor materials will lose you customers. I lost a potentially good customer on another business I have because we went for a meeting with nothing to show for our business, the site wasn't ready, we couldn't take an order. It was a mess. My consumer credit broker is pretty polished on the surface, until you ring them and it feels like they don't even know what they're doing!! Really puts me off as a customer and I might not even renew my contract.

But as devine states, to get far you need more than perfection, you need a blueprint.

I'm working hard on turning my main niche site into the "blueprint" trying to get everything perfect and understand everything about it. I will then roll that out to my second site that doesn't perform as well and then 1 other very closely related niche. I'm going to be doing that soon and I'm intrigued to see if it can make a difference. A carefully planned blueprint site should bring in consistent sales with little on-going work, once created.

I've also managed staff that think too much. They didn't get much done!

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
A steady two handed grip using the sights.

It's called gun control. ;)

I was serious.
In business and in target practice, I aim to hit my target.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
I owe my success fully to being a perfectionist and thinking deep.

Perfectionism is a double edged sword in my experience. I strive for perfection. I'm also a deep thinker. I thrive on perfectionism. I over think projects at times. The thing is perfectionism can be a road block in my experience. I think a person can worry to much about how perfect enough it is, and sometimes you have to let go of all thinking, and just act. I believe this has to do with personality type honestly.

For an Introvert it might be something completely different than an Extrovert. I believe I'm referring to the past when ESTJ's or ENTJ's mentioned to take more action and stop deep thinking and overthinking what I was working on at the time.

That's great if it works for you in your experience in a different way.

Paul Thomas

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Jul 9, 2013
A steady two handed grip using the sights.

It's called gun control. ;)

This is a great analogy. I think what I'm thinking of in my first post is comparable to this, and I'm trying more and more to become guy 2:

Situation 1) Guy with a steady two handed grip using the sights who is TERRIFIED of not hitting his target before he even shoots, and therefore shaking, taking forever to shoot, and because hes overthinking so much, he shoots worse than he would've

Situation 2) Guy with a steady two handed grip using the sights who really wants to hit the target but doesn't overdramatize missing it before he even shoots. This results in a confident, calm, forward progress attitude towards taking action and pulling the trigger.

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
This is a great analogy. I think what I'm thinking of in my first post is comparable to this, and I'm trying more and more to become guy 2:

Situation 1) Guy with a steady two handed grip using the sights who is TERRIFIED of not hitting his target before he even shoots, and therefore shaking, taking forever to shoot, and because hes overthinking so much, he shoots worse than he would've

Situation 2) Guy with a steady two handed grip using the sights who really wants to hit the target but doesn't overdramatize missing it before he even shoots. This results in a confident, calm, forward progress attitude towards taking action and pulling the trigger.
Don't forget, you will get a flyer here and there.

Paul Thomas

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Jul 9, 2013
If you're not a perfectionist about what you're selling, then you don't love it enough; and neither will your customers.

I agree that you should aim for 100% perfection in the product/service that you are selling.

However, I think there is a difference in intensely aiming for it, and demanding it of yourself and overdramatizing a potential failure or "perfection miss", and sometimes even personalizing it which stunts action taking, and causes unneeded worry.

Thread has been helpful for me to refine my thought about the topic, thanks guys.

G

GuestUser450

Neither. Both mean you don't understand what you're doing.

Perfectionists don't really exist - they're insecure, unconfident try-hards who throw time at the problem. And the 'perfection' is always subjective, never according to the customer.

Hip shooters are cut from the same cloth; hoping they can fake it till they make it with 'good enough' and never really understanding the problem.

Better would be a system builder who understands the macro and the micro. Macro = how different models work, human nature, lateral thinking, etc. Micro = storytelling, keeping customers, running a business, etc.

For example: Email - Understanding the big picture tells you that no one wants to read a perfect email; they want to read the same language they use. They don't want to hear about you (unless you're the product). They want direction not compliments. And they want it wrapped in ideology and narrative. The practical, hands-on knowledge lets you craft the story, focus on what they need but also what they want, what you've already done for them, and what you expect them to do next. Then, realizing that people only have so many questions, and you're only going to give so many answers, build appropriate templates for different customers at different times in the lifecycle; that's the beginning of a system.

devine

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Apr 16, 2015
Russia
For example: Email - Understanding the big picture tells you that no one wants to read a perfect email; they want to read the same language they use. They don't want to hear about you (unless you're the product).
Perfect email is an email that resonates the most.
An email that is as effective as it can possibly be.
An email that does the job the best.
Neither. Both mean you don't understand what you're doing.
Perfectionists don't really exist - they're insecure, unconfident try-hards who throw time at the problem. And the 'perfection' is always subjective, never according to the customer.
This load of crap is worthy of [HASHTAG]#landfill[/HASHTAG]

G

GuestUser450

Perfect email is an email that resonates the most.
An email that is as effective as it can possibly be.
An email that does the job the best.
According to the customer? Yes. You? Nope.

This load of crap is worthy of #landfill
No shame is misunderstanding something, maybe it's not for you. Dismiss away. But zero-sum linear-thinking hashtagging doesn't state your case or contradict mine - it's just noise. Enlighten, please...

devine

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Apr 16, 2015
Russia
According to the customer? Yes. You? Nope.

*sigh*
No shame is misunderstanding something, maybe it's not for you. Dismiss away. But zero-sum linear-thinking hashtagging doesn't state your case or contradict mine.
As an entrepreneur you have to see things from your customers perspective.
I think we understand each other there.

It's not a zero-sum linear-thinking hashtagging, just no need to throw words that create a devaluing perspective at a solid thing.
Perfectionism is good.
The problem is that many people confuse overthinking, overprocessing and time wasting with perfectionism, which it's not.

G

GuestUser450

As an entrepreneur you have to see things from your customers perspective.
I think we understand each other there.

It's not a zero-sum linear-thinking hashtagging, just no need to throw words that create a devaluing perspective at a solid thing.
Perfectionism is good.
The problem is that many people confuse overthinking, overprocessing and time wasting with perfectionism, which it's not.

Thank you for explaining. So we disagree on the term, not the concept. I see it differently, arguably closer to op's definition, but I get your point.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.